IGNORED

How many expats speak fairly fluent thai

Bangkokbanjo

translation for us dummies?

I like you, and

Miss you, love you very much.

One more for you ngaam lie (not right spelling but as you say) same as suai mak mak.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/2/2017 at 18:40, Tarl said:

I like you, and

Miss you, love you very much.

I know you do but I was asking for the translation

7 minutes ago, just hanging said:

I know you do but I was asking for the translation

Is it kinky to have your photo over my bed?

46 minutes ago, Tarl said:

Is it kinky to have your photo over my bed?

not if its behind you

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2016 at 04:37, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

IME, in terms of those who retire to LoS, less than 1 in 50 (maybe even 1 in 100) speak Thai fairly well. If you were talking about younger guys (say those teaching) the figure would be much higher. However, I have found that your average retired Expat can manage only a few words - hong nam, khap khun, mai ow khup etc. In my golfing group (40+ guys) they always turn to me if some Thai language is needed....and my Thai is very limited - I would say I am beginner/intermediate (maybe know a few hundred words).

How many of the non-Thai speaking expats bitched about immigrants not learning English or whatever their home country’s main language is I wonder.  Btw, the few Thai phrases you mentioned are the exact few phrases my expat brother taught me the first time I visited him there.  555555

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 09:18, just hanging said:

a successful person, in business, in deals, in life, in fun, in girls and so on will make everything lean towards them being successful at whatever they are after.    Here a big part of being successful with the girls, and Thais in general, other than money is speaking their language.   I get so many girls that would otherwise be unavailable to me, can we can speak and joke in their language, and there are no misunderstanding.   Hard for me to believe that someone wants to live here, or comes all the time without making a serious attempt at learning the language.

I think besides money and speaking their language being a big part of being successful with the ladies is personality as long as the girls understand English.  I think a guy that can't speak Thai will be more successful with the girls that can speak English if he's an easy going and fun loving dude compared to a guy who can speak Thai but never laughs or smiles and is always very serious.

On 12/31/2016 at 11:16, just hanging said:

when a girl asks if I can speak Isaan, I just say   sow wow

For the BM who are wondering what the fuck this is its a hard way to say shut up.

Not as bad as ( shut the fuck up) but very close 555555.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

On 12/29/2016 at 09:49, ruay said:

I'll just add that in my opinion, learning the Thai Language is not easy with regards to just picking it up. It's not Spanish, it's tonal, has a alphabet, classes of consonants, numerous rules with respect to grammar.

Reading is far more easier than writing. And while practicing speaking is important, the most crucial feature is self independent study. Attending classes without doing the homework in between will not be sufficient.

In my view, I believe with respect to allocating study, it's 20℅ speaking, 30℅ reading, and 50℅ writing.

The advice I've always received from the advanced foreign students has been to practice, practice, practice writing. I make sure I can spell every word I speak. It's the only way for me to pronounce it properly.

Also, if a Thai uses an Isaan dialect for a word, I'll ask how it's spelled, then say it, in which then I get the thumbs up.

I refer to using Roman characters to learn Thai as PBS - the Phonetic Bullshit System.

Unless you're using international Phonetics, which is a pain, there's just many unique consonants, c, and sounds to use English.

I am a non school guy, always went too slow for me so I ignored it and almost didn't make it out of high school.  Coming here to another country, and not learning to speak their language and expecting them to properly speak mine is rude to the max.

I had lots of Latino workers in LA, construction and restaurants, and most could not speak english, I forced them all to do it, the hard way, do it or lose your jobs, and eventually they all did it, thanked me big time and said it changed their lives and they got respect the didnt get before. I told them if I went to another country I would learn their language.  As much as I cannot stand going to school I did and it did change it for me over here

18 hours ago, just hanging said:

I had lots of Latino workers in LA, construction and restaurants, and most could not speak english, I forced them all to do it, the hard way, do it or lose your jobs

This must have been a few years back...  In California now if an employer dares to take this attitude they will likely find themselves in legal peril.

I totally agree with the prevailing opinion here that learning the language, including reading and writing, is a valuable asset, not to mention that it shows you have respect for Thailand.

ขอไห้กำลังใจส่งฝรั่งทุกคนพยายามเรียนภาษาไทยครับ    (I want to encourage farangs who are trying to learn Thai.)

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

3 hours ago, Treetopview said:

This must have been a few years back...  In California now if an employer dares to take this attitude they will likely find themselves in legal peril.

I totally agree with the prevailing opinion here that learning the language, including reading and writing, is a valuable asset, not to mention that it shows you have respect for Thailand.

ขอไห้กำลังใจส่งฝรั่งทุกคนพยายามเรียนภาษาไทยครับ    (I want to encourage farangs who are trying to learn Thai.)

yes a lot of years back.....its all fucked now especially in California.  You dont need to speak english in america anymore and dont bring it up

unlike most guys on here who come and complain, I left my country becasue of shit like this, and moved here and will accept what I get, I wont try to change it to California where I escaped from

1 minute ago, just hanging said:

California where I escaped from

You and me both, brother.  Like other migratory birds, many feel the instinctive need to move out of California.

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

If you've seen expat vlogger ''Kev in Thailand'' speak to locals....it's like a fucking train-wreck about to happen! IMHO it's totally embarrassing!

He only knows maybe 4 words in Thai...what a absolute lazy clown! :LMFAO:

Bloody hell, i know more Thai than he does!   :SoWhat1:

Kev is a cheerful bloke but you're right he can't speak a word of Thai.

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

1 hour ago, felix the cat said:

If you've seen Expat vlogger ''Kev in Thailand'' speak to locals....it's like a fucking train-wreck about to happen! IMHO it's totally embarrassing!

He only knows maybe 4 words in Thai...what a absolute lazy clown! :LMFAO:

Bloody hell, i know more Thai than he does!   :SoWhat1:

Even his English is painful to listen too. 

I've bumped in to him and he's a right arsehole. I usually tolerate a fair bit of nonsense but his guy is just plain spiteful.

Agree! I bumped into him a Windmill with his possie from the Highaway meet group last trip....we only chatted for 10sec because he realized i wasn't going to buy him a drink. How do i know this? Well he rudely turned to one of my m8's & said....''is anyone gonna buy me a drink?''

We all laughed & told him to push-off! He quickly walked off without a comeback comment!....absolute dickhead!   :LMFAO:  

On 07/12/2017 at 11:09, great mooglie said:

How many of the non-Thai speaking expats bitched about immigrants not learning English or whatever their home country’s main language is I wonder.  Btw, the few Thai phrases you mentioned are the exact few phrases my Expat brother taught me the first time I visited him there.  555555

Huge difference retiring to a country and moving there to work. Don't thnk aussies in general could care less if rich immigrants moved to oz to tetire and couldn't speak much english.

On 08/12/2017 at 12:06, just hanging said:

I am a non school guy, always went too slow for me so I ignored it and almost didn't make it out of high school.  Coming here to another country, and not learning to speak their language and expecting them to properly speak mine is rude to the max.

I had lots of Latino workers in LA, construction and restaurants, and most could not speak english, I forced them all to do it, the hard way, do it or lose your jobs, and eventually they all did it, thanked me big time and said it changed their lives and they got respect the didnt get before. I told them if I went to another country I would learn their language.  As much as I cannot stand going to school I did and it did change it for me over here

Don't think anyone expects them to have whatever you call proper english. What is expected IMHO is that if a city lives on tourism then they would speak enough of a common language to be able to at least be able to talk to those tourists and assist them.

On 12/7/2017 at 18:48, JAI DEE MAK said:

For the BM who are wondering what the fuck this is its a hard way to say shut up.

Not as bad as ( shut the fuck up) but very close 555555.

JDM

only use if I know the girl and make sure she knows I am joking. Use it when they ask if I can speak issan.   dai....sow wow...always get a laugh

5 hours ago, just hanging said:

only use if I know the girl and make sure she knows I am joking. Use it when they ask if I can speak issan.   dai....sow wow...always get a laugh

+1 however I have used it to a few times to make a point mostly with LB from Lao who fully understand it.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

12 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

Even his English is painful to listen too. 

I've bumped in to him and he's a right arsehole. I usually tolerate a fair bit of nonsense but his guy is just plain spiteful.

spiteful in what way? Rude to you? ... ive met him a few times and he seems nice enough.

9 hours ago, golden_boy said:

spiteful in what way? Rude to you? ... ive met him a few times and he seems nice enough.

did you buy him a drink? 555

• 2 months later...

Learning Thai language would be so interesting and fun. I will definitely give it a try but does not know where to start.. 

Also I wonder which one is easier to learn Thai or Tagalog ( Philippines language) Any idea ?

Learning Thai language would be so interesting and fun.

lol, the words you're looking for are frustrating and difficult, at least once you move on from the standard stock phrases that everyone who has been here a few times knows.

If you're going to try you seriously learn Thai, it would be a very good idea to simultaneously learn to read and write Thai.

It would make it much more of an effort initially, but at least you would stand a fighting chance of being able to get the tones and vowel lengths of each word right.

If you plan on going anywhere non touristy, then of course it is a must as very few Thais, in my experience, speak English outside of the main holiday areas.

Oh, I've just remembered. Don't bother trying to order chips in Thai, in a Thai restaurant, in Thailand. They will look at you in bewilderment.

The correct word is French fries!

Archived