IGNORED

Visiting for over 90 days question

Bangkokbanjo

Sorry for duplicate here but I have scoured the section and can't find the exact thing I am looking for.

I am traveling from the united states end of January and will be staying till mid may.  This is 135 day or over the 90 day period.  The two visas avail to me as a tourist are single and multiple entry.  A single entry visa is 40 dollars but the multiple entry is 200.  Obviously i do not want  to shell out 200 dollars.  My application will show, however , that I am staying more than 90.  Can I just get a single entry visa, apply, for extension at the 60 day mark and then when I get close to the 90 day, leave the country and get a new visa for a cheaper price?

thanks for your insights

A.

You will have to get a multiple entry as you will use your single entry on your arrival.

I don't think with a basic 60 day multiple tourist visa you can get 135 days out of it. As i understand it you will get 30 days on your second entry. After that you can apply for a 30 day extension at Jomtien immigration for 1900 baht but i'm not sure if they will give it to you. Still that is only 120 days total.

Sorry but others on here should have a bit more insight to this. Hope this is a starting point. Cheers

US citizens get a free 30 day visa on arrival at immigration at the airport.  As noted above you can get a 30 day extension at Jomtien Soi ... 5? for 1900B.  But even that isn't guaranteed.  Take a TM-8 and some documentation of the place you are staying showing that you've got known lodging setup should they need to find you, they're bound to ask you for something unpredictable so just roll with it.  

You can apply at a US Thai embassy ahead of time, but if you are arriving in Jan you are cutting it close unless you live in LA or DC - not sure of the other Thai embassy locations.  If you show up to the embassy in person they *usually* give you same day service, but you pay the fee regardless of approval or now.

I'm here for 61 days now, and my current visa expires on the 30th.  I need 31 days added, and I'm not certain that this is possible to do, only 30.  I'm currently accepting that I'll have to make a visa run for a few days to reset the clock correctly vs being granted the non-std time 31 day visa

but try this: http://pattayaexpatsclub.info/wp/visa-inf/

"I'd pork her. Or, if her religion forbade pork, I'd beef her. If it turned out she was a vegetarian, I'd give her an extra firm slab of tofu."

Sorry for duplicate here but I have scoured the section and can't find the exact thing I am looking for.

I am traveling from the united states end of January and will be staying till mid may.  This is 135 day or over the 90 day period.  The two visas avail to me as a tourist are single and multiple entry.  A single entry visa is 40 dollars but the multiple entry is 200.  Obviously i do not want  to shell out 200 dollars.  My application will show, however , that I am staying more than 90.  Can I just get a single entry visa, apply, for extension at the 60 day mark and then when I get close to the 90 day, leave the country and get a new visa for a cheaper price?

thanks for your insights

A.

So $40 for SETV plus $55 for the 30 day Extension leaves $105 to fund your trip to eg Phnom Penh or HCMC and your stay there while you wait for a new SETV.

You can certainly do that and it might be a nice side trip, but I doubt that it will be cheaper.

Edit - But wait, aren't TVs free in January until 28th February?

The way to do it is.

Get a Single entry TV before you leave. It's free now until 28 February.

Extend after 60 days at jomtien. 30 days for 1900 bht.

Leave the country after 90 days and get a SETV from a neighbouring country. You'll have to stay overnight for processing. That gives you another 60 days.

DONT go down the Multiple entry route. It's expensive and pointless.

The way to do it is.

Get a Single entry TV before you leave. It's free now until 28 February.

Extend after 60 days at jomtien. 30 days for 1900 bht.

Leave the country after 90 days and get a SETV from a neighbouring country. You'll have to stay overnight for processing. That gives you another 60 days.

DONT go down the Multiple entry route. It's expensive and pointless.

Or.....exit before 28th February and get another free one then extend the second (free) one?

Standard waiting time in Phnom Penh is reported as 3-4 days, don't know elsewhere.

Standard waiting time in Phnom Penh is reported as 3-4 days, don't know elsewhere.

wait, what?  first Ive heard of this, that's my visa run next week and was looking to only stay 30th to the 2nd

"I'd pork her. Or, if her religion forbade pork, I'd beef her. If it turned out she was a vegetarian, I'd give her an extra firm slab of tofu."

Nope. If he leaves before 28 February he will run out of days on his 2nd visa plus extension

Standard waiting time in Phnom Penh is reported as 3-4 days, don't know elsewhere.Nope. If he leaves before 28 February he will run out of days on his 2nd visa plus extension.

Nope. If he leaves before 28 February he will run out of days on his 2nd visa plus extension

Nope. If he leaves before 28 February he will run out of days on his 2nd visa plus extension.

Coming in end Jan, so maybe doesn't even need the first SETV (30 day VW) if he leaves by say 25th Feb to make sure he gets a free one.

Comes back in say 1st March with 60 days takes him to end April then extend by 30 and leaves mid May.

What did I get wrong?

wait, what?  first Ive heard of this, that's my visa run next week and was looking to only stay 30th to the 2nd

I suggest you ask in the Cambodian forum as there might be an express way, but 3-4 days is what I read.

That's working days and 31 & 1 are w/e plus 2 is probably a holiday so I think you'll be struggling with that plan.

Coming in end Jan, so maybe doesn't even need the first SETV (30 day VW) if he leaves by say 25th Feb to make sure he gets a free one.

Comes back in say 1st March with 60 days takes him to end April then extend by 30 and leaves mid May.

What did I get wrong?

he's only got 90 days max from 28 February. If he's coming say 20 January for 135 days that means he'll be short by a week or so.

he's only got 90 days max from 28 February. If he's coming say 20 January for 135 days that means he'll be short by a week or so.

Exiting in time for free TV means - March 31 + April 30 + May 15 (going back mid May) = 76.

I make that about 14 to spare.

If he's coming in 20th January rather than the end, then just come in on a free TV not VW.

Exiting in time for free TV means - March 31 + April 30 + May 15 (going back mid May) = 76.

If he's coming in 20th January rather than the end, then just come in on a free TV not VW.

guess we'll have to know his arrival date.

20th January to mid may is less than the 135 days he's quoted as staying.

He never bothered to give us his arrival date mate.

Doesn't matter cos it was bullshit anyway.

He's started another thread saying he's coming for 90 days on 25 January. 555

• 3 weeks later...

Wasnt bull..im arriving jan 25th and departing may 9th...i have a single entry 60 day visa which i got at the thai embassy in nyc. I will get a 30 day extension but that will only get me to april 25th..not may 9th. My original question was if i leave the country after i get the extension will that reset the clock for 30 more days thus giving me ample time to complete my trip.. thanks

Why didn't you just get the METV?  it was by far the best choice for your trip. Now you're going to have to go thru visa office hell, just to save a couple hundred bucks.

Don't be surprised if the visa officer asks you the same question

Yes, sometimes it's just easier to fork out the couple hundred bucks and save all the aggravation.

Or just plan a few side trips to neighboring countries, and get your free 30 days when entering Thailand each time.

Flights are cheap , I look for the air asia seat sales when I am back home between trips.

Yes, sometimes it's just easier to fork out the couple hundred bucks and save all the aggravation.

Or just plan a few side trips to neighboring countries, and get your free 30 days when entering Thailand each time.

Flights are cheap , I look for the air asia seat sales when I am back home between trips.

Yes, like the OP I stay in Thailand for more than 100 days. When they replaced the double entry 80$ with the METV 200$,  I started coming up with plans like the OP to save the 200$ fee. In the end to much hassle to get around the fee using a single entry and extensions, etc and just went with the METV.

On my upcoming trip this year I'll go ahead and get the METV and take two or three short trips outside Thailand instead of one long trip.

Archived