IGNORED

Emirates set to launch Premium Economy

davidge

As widely expected Emirates’ introduction of premium economy class is now more definite than ever.

Its president Sir Tim Clark has announced that his airline is very likely to introduce a premium economy class within the next 12 to 18 months.

According to Reuters, Sir Tim Clark said “I would think we would have it in the airline within the next year to 18 months, hopefully up and running. We are at the stage of finding out what form [premium economy] will take.”

Adding premium economy, roughly defined as a half-way house between business and economy, is a natural development for Emirates.

And it’s a major development. Because whatever Emirates does its Gulf rivals will eventually follow irrespective of what they might say in public.

Why? All the Gulf nations and their home airlines have been affected by the falling oil price.

Not only is Emirates profitability down but recent expansion has resulted in a reduced load factor (fewer seats filled per flight on average).

Recently Emirates introduced a seat selection fee for some passenger categories in order to boost revenue. Other ancillary fees may follow.

But also more and more of Emirates main rivals have or are introducing a premium economy class.

For example, Emirates must have received negative feedback that, on its main JV (joint venture) routes with Qantas between Europe and Australia, Qantas offers premium economy but Emirates does not.

Likewise on the voluminous routes between Europe, the Gulf and the Far East we see almost every major carrier offering good premium economy classes whereas Emirates still fails to offer any equivalent.

And therefore Emirates (and its Gulf rivals) risk being left behind, especially as the comfort gap between business and economy class grows ever wider.

What we are likely to see from Emirates is the sort of standardised premium economy now being seen at the major airlines like that of Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines.

One would expect to see Emirates’ premium economy installed initially on its fleet of A380s, particularly those aircraft which fly alongside Qantas between Europe, the Gulf and Australia.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I did realise on my weekly scan on the flight prices that emirates alarmingly is almost always the cheaper option. I use gulf air quite often too so hopefully be getting a drop in their prices too.

When Eva originally introduced their Evergreen deluxe product (Elite now) it was only ever £100 more than standard economy. Now its rarely less than a £1000 for Elite as opposed to £480 ish economy. Just priced July ticketing and £452 and £944

Watch Emirates introduce competitive pricing against economy but increasing within 12 months

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes worry about premium economy being so widely adopted across all airlines. While there is no immediate harm, it is the point of reference of "premium" vs what everyone should already get with a seat, meaning they can eventually scale back regular economy even more by reducing legroom or other amenities. The justification would be that there's now an option to buy up to premium economy without dropping business or first class money. Still doesn't make it right that you have to buy up in class to get a foot rest or a little knee room. The other fear is that this could also, way down the line, lead to a reset of fare classes if some airlines drop first class in favor of more economy/PE/business seats. Emirates has already done this with a few of their A380's. It's like business is now first on those flights and PE becomes the mid-class seat that was formerly business. If these routes repair popular despite this new configuration, they can eventually price out business like first and PE as business. That would be a huge regression.

Outside of the B787 and A380 conventional economy coach class has become a knee crushing kids class.  If premium economy only added a couple hundred dollars it would be no big deal, but it's often double the economy coach cost in exchange for knees that can still walk at the end of the flight.  Other than a fairly minor upgrade in pitch and recline the hard and soft product is almost identical to the cheap seats.

Outside of the B787 and A380 conventional economy coach class has become a knee crushing kids class.  If premium economy only added a couple hundred dollars it would be no big deal, but it's often double the economy coach cost in exchange for knees that can still walk at the end of the flight.  Other than a fairly minor upgrade in pitch and recline the hard and soft product is almost identical to the cheap seats.

would be quite easy to do on the a380.

Traveled on the upper deck on Qatar a few days ago and the flight was so much better up there even in economy

Personally I would rather they just ditched that 10 across seating they have on there 777. The old 9 across that Qatar used to use was as comfortable as any premium economy seat I've sat in before

Outside of the B787 and A380 conventional economy coach class has become a knee crushing kids class. If premium economy only added a couple hundred dollars it would be no big deal, but it's often double the economy coach cost in exchange for knees that can still walk at the end of the flight. Other than a fairly minor upgrade in pitch and recline the hard and soft product is almost identical to the cheap seats.

The 787 is the worst economy seat i've sat on. Very narrow compared to other planes. Though this may be carrier-dependent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

would be quite easy to do on the a380.

Traveled on the upper deck on Qatar a few days ago and the flight was so much better up there even in economy

Agreed sublime little section at the back we had exit seats which were a further bonus really quiet up there

The 787 is the worst economy seat i've sat on. Very narrow compared to other planes. Though this may be carrier-dependent.

That was Qatar.....??   I thought Omans offering was very good on the 787 and you recall I was concerned before I first flew it...

That was Qatar.....?? I thought Omans offering was very good on the 787 and you recall I was concerned before I first flew it...

Yeh qatar. I couldn't wait to get on the next leg, on an older plane.

To be fair, i had a knackered back and had to take a bunch of painkillers to endure it. I was fidgeting far more than normal, so really noticed the slim width in the seats and the firmness of the cushions.

Just another way of charging a lot more money for a little extra service. Getting more expensive all the time to keep up my gold card and they giving less in return. Flying out Jan 22nd on Thai for change.

I was a gold card member with emirates then overnight they halved there airmiles I used to fly 4times a year with them but jumped ship to Etihad who provide enough miles to keep your card so that may of been the start of there downfall

I was a gold card member with emirates then overnight they halved there airmiles I used to fly 4times a year with them but jumped ship to Etihad who provide enough miles to keep your card so that may of been the start of there downfall

I did exactly the same thing, and jumped ship to Qatar.  They have now downrated their mileage offerings and sector points on Privilege Club as well.  I've now moved to Oman Air.

I did exactly the same thing, and jumped ship to Qatar.  They have now downrated their mileage offerings and sector points on Privilege Club as well.  I've now moved to Oman Air.

I got no doubts Oman will change likewise before too long. I have Silver at moment Lounge Access is nice always

I got no doubts Oman will change likewise before too long. I have Silver at moment Lounge Access is nice always

I have no doubt you are right mate.  We will just have to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

They have all lowered the mileage awards on their FF schemes over the last few years.

Gone are the days when 3 Thailand trips would get you gold or very close to it on the big airlines.

With Oman undergoing an expansion phase I am hoping we may get a couple of years before either the 25,00 miles to Silver goes up, or the mileage rewards go down.

8 days till wheels up, and it seems like this year has already been longer than last year.

Archived