IGNORED

password

yorkshireman

hi guys, i gave my 8 year old boy my laptop when i bought a new one and he decided he wanted a password  for opening it. But even though he wrote the password down so he dident forget it the laptop says wrong password and wont open.  what can we do to open it?? ,i am not compuyer savy and am at a loss as to what to do .Any ideas will be welcome and appreciated.

There's free software out there that will crack the password, especially if it's an older version of Windows, such as Windows XP. OPHcrack is one example.

The way it works is you download it using a working PC, and either burn it to CD or onto a USB stick. Using that, you boot up the machine in question, and it figures out the password.

Hope this helps...

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

If it's the HDD that has been password protected I don't believe you can hack this.

Even replacing the HDD won't work.

Not enough information to give a good answer.  (Just like troubleshooting with Mom)

If you are talking about a BIOS password (on boot up), clearing that is dependent on the brand and model number.  A google search should be able to set you straight.  Often requires removing the CMOS battery (which is sometimes difficult). 

If you are talking about a windows logon password, you have many options.  Example, If the laptop has a recovery partition, boot into recovery mode (google search your brand and model on how to boot into recovery mode... sort of like a factory reset you do on your phone).  F8 is Windows recovery mode, if he just set a windows password, maybe you can find a backup (depending on Windows version, it automatically backs up).  Google search "reset windows password with usb" and that may give you some ideas.  Or reinstall everything manually.

Worst case, take it to Pantip plaza (if you are in Bangkok), and ask for help (it will cost you a little bit). 

On the newer versions of windows (8&10), there is an option to rest the password online, if you registered your email to the account.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-reset-your-microsoft-account-password-2624953

If not, then ask yourself, did you leave an Admin account on it? if so log in using that.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-another-users-password-in-windows-2626241

otherwise ask the kid the following did he add a hint question in case?

• friend's, or child's birthday?
  • an aspect of their first, middle, or last name?
  • a favorite set of numbers?
  • a fond memory ?
  • a favorite food or activity?
  • A pets name?
  • some combination of the above?

If it is XP or 7 there is software available as mentioned in other posts that will tell you, I had to do this on my nieces windows 7 netbook, by setting the netbook to boot from USB and inserting a USB with the software on it.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179

If he wrote it down, then maybe some capitols in there.  look for obvious ones

If he wrote it down, then maybe some capitols in there.  look for obvious ones

He may also have accidently had the caps lock on when creating the password. I've done that. 

Other than that, the suggestions above should get you going. Good luck. 

Thanks guys for all the information, I have got it working and removed the password . My boy is now happy again...

Thanks guys for all the information, I have got it working and removed the password . My boy is now happy again...

how?

how?

I followed the advice on here ,the ALT andF10  dident fix it but holding  F8 did get what i needed . As you guys sorted that for me i seek further advice . I have 3BB wifi at home  and on my IPhone an ais package for when out and about.What i would like to ask is when at home do i need to turn off mobile data so there is just wifi on my phone and it dosent drain my package with ais. thanks for any responce.

Archived