IGNORED

FinnAir

PR1977

2 hours ago, Tarpon said:

I flew with Finnair from Hong Kong to Stockholm via Helsinki, and they confiscated my whiskey at Vanta Airport, Helsinki. Can not bring tax-free when flying from an EU country to another, so I was told.

That’s not true. I’ve taken plenty of things tax free when flying through Amsterdam on the way back to the UK from various places. I’ve also bought ‘tax paid’ in AMS as some things are cheaper than in UK.

However, with the ban on liquids now it could be a problem as they may not allow the BKK duty free bag through security. In theory, it should be fine if properly sealed but you can’t really argue with security if they say no!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, davidge said:

That’s not true. I’ve taken plenty of things tax free when flying through Amsterdam on the way back to the UK from various places. I’ve also bought ‘tax paid’ in AMS as some things are cheaper than in UK.

However, with the ban on liquids now it could be a problem as they may not allow the BKK duty free bag through security. In theory, it should be fine if properly sealed but you can’t really argue with security if they say no!

Has nothing to do with Tax, it's to do with the security around liquids, basically you're only allowed to carry liquids from your final transit point (e.g. BKK-AMS-LHR wouldn't allow you to transit liquids from BKK to LHR, you have to buy them in AMS).

The 1 exception I've seen to this is when flying DBX-SIN-MEL where Emirates will take your duty free purchases off you at Singapore and put them in the hold to be returned at MEL).

13 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Has nothing to do with Tax, it's to do with the security around liquids, basically you're only allowed to carry liquids from your final transit point (e.g. BKK-AMS-LHR wouldn't allow you to transit liquids from BKK to LHR, you have to buy them in AMS).

The 1 exception I've seen to this is when flying DBX-SIN-MEL where Emirates will take your duty free purchases off you at Singapore and put them in the hold to be returned at MEL).

Yes, that’s what I said. However, if the Liquid is put in an approved tamper-proof bag and is kept in it then you ‘should’ be able to take it onto a connecting flight - depending where you are flying to. It’s all a bit hit & miss.

One other thing, you can’t buy duty free in one EU airport if you are just flying to another EU airport. You have to be leaving the EU. However, I read the post as saying the whisky was bought in Hong Kong. 

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, davidge said:

Yes, that’s what I said. However, if the liquid is put in an approved tamper-proof bag and is kept in it then you ‘should’ be able to take it onto a connecting flight - depending where you are flying to. It’s all a bit hit & miss.

One other thing, you can’t buy duty free in one EU airport if you are just flying to another EU airport. You have to be leaving the EU. However, I read the post as saying the whisky was bought in Hong Kong. 

Sorry I don't think I was clear, I think you can only take it in a tamper proof bag if that bag came from the airport your transiting in, if it's from a previous airport they won't let you through with it.

When you think about it, it makes sense as you can't expect Security to check / be able to assess bags that didn't originate from their airport.

Edit To add: Most airports will ask you where you're heading and if that's your final destination & often won't sell you bottles etc... that they think will be confiscated at transit.

Edit2: Though I once was coming back from Mauritius on Air Mauritius & picked up a couple of bottles of Champagne to use up some currency, asked the girl if it would be OK as we were stopping to pick up passengers in KL & was told it's fine as we won't be getting off the plane. Obviously we did, I had to my back pack with me and ended up having to check it in with the 2 bottles for the 2nd leg as they wouldn't let me take it on the plane

• 2 weeks later...

Archived