IGNORED

FinnAir

PR1977

4 hours ago, BlackKnight said:

They chanceld  my Flight from Helsinki to BKK in November... i am not happy and not satisfied....

That's bad news.

What did they do, put you up for the night and on next day's flight?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They just informed  me... and gave me NO alternative... i really was dissapointed 

• 3 months later...

Anyone flown with Finair recently im thinking of booking them for flights departing Dublin next year,do you have to pay for seats ?

Only flew with them once, never again. Found it hard to breathe once on board.

7 hours ago, Chris P Bacon said:

Anyone flown with Finair recently im thinking of booking them for flights departing Dublin next year,do you have to pay for seats ?

Yes you have to pay for seats if you want to reserve before the check-in and all the other extras like drinks outside of the meals. No amenity packs like some quality European airlines. Food is crap. Hostesses 40-50 years old.

Planes are new though and Helsinki airport very small, so quick connections are possible. Tax free shops are ridiculously expensive as is the food and drinks in the cafes and restaurants.

If you like short flight time and don't care about the shortcomings, you should be fine

8 hours ago, Chris P Bacon said:

Flown with them out of Dublin twice, most recently September this year.

You do have to pay up around €90 I think for Economy Comfort, €60 for extra legroom over the wings or €30 I think for regular seats...or just wait until 2 days before departure and get a regular seat for free. Flights arrive at 08.00AM in the morning to BKK so no mad rush to get off and through customs via a seat at the front anyway. I didn't mind paying extra for the Economy Comfort though given how cheap the actual flights were - €500 or thereabouts....You can bid to be upgraded to biz class too, got an upgrade for €278 first time I flew with them.

Very modern aircraft, efficient and on time, service and food on board (no food on Dublin to Helsinki leg) very good, Helsinki Airport is very easy to transit through - one of the very best airlines in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, PR1977 said:

Flown with them out of Dublin twice, most recently September this year.

You do have to pay up around €90 I think for Economy Comfort, €60 for extra legroom over the wings or €30 I think for regular seats...or just wait until 2 days before departure and get a regular seat for free. flights arrive at 08.00AM in the morning to BKK so no mad rush to get off and through customs via a seat at the front anyway. I didn't mind paying extra for the Economy Comfort though given how cheap the actual flights were - €500 or thereabouts....You can bid to be upgraded to biz class too, got an upgrade for €278 first time I flew with them.

Very modern aircraft, efficient and on time, service and food on board (no food on Dublin to Helsinki leg) very good, Helsinki Airport is very easy to transit through - one of the very best airlines in my opinion.

Thanks,ive been flying with Eithad from Dublin nearly since they started in Ireland and i think its time for a change,Eithad's planes are really showing their age and Abu Dhabi is a terrible airport,i think ill book the Finair flights they are coming in at just under €600 so not too bad,another option next summer is Cathay Pacific they will be flying from Dublin to Hong Kong so will be interesting to see their prices.

1 minute ago, Chris P Bacon said:

Thanks,ive been flying with Eithad from Dublin nearly since they started in Ireland and i think its time for a change,Eithad's planes are really showing their age and Abu Dhabi is a terrible airport,i think ill book the Finair flights they are coming in at just under €600 so not too bad,another option next summer is Cathay Pacific they will be flying from Dublin to Hong Kong so will be interesting to see their prices.

Yeah I saw Cathay Pacific were starting up...when I checked price it was up around €800.

I've got Qatar Airways who started out of Dub a couple of months ago too lined up for next two trips so will see what they are like....

Apparently work has started on the second Runway at Dublin Airport so here's hoping that might lead to a carrier starting direct flights.

You should know this about Finnair.

The Finnish Consumer Protection Agency has sued Finnair before the court for unpaid compensation for delayed flights. It is about 600 € per passenger.

A state agency suits a state airline agency. It's a badly SERIOUS problem.

Those flying from the UK, usually pay less than those who fly from Helsinki directly.

And the business class from BKK is always cheaper to any other country in Europe, though Finland it's the first stop.

On 12/14/2017 at 00:57, soi16 said:

The Finnish Consumer Protection Agency has sued Finnair before the court for unpaid compensation for delayed flights. It is about 600 € per passenger.

Those flying from the UK, usually pay less than those who fly from Helsinki directly.

And the business class from BKK is always cheaper to any other country in Europe, though Finland it's the first stop.

Links to this are here:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/consumer_ombudsman_sues_finnair_over_delay_compensation_practices/9853588

https://www.kkv.fi/en/current-issues/press-releases/2017/consumer-ombudsman-takes-finnair-to-market-court-for-breach-of-air-passengers-rights/

It would appear that FinnAir are disputing the amount of compensation to pay (€250 to a max of €600) where the delay is, in their opinion,  caused by a manufacturing or design fault - i.e. the fault of Airbus (or ATR or Embraer) who supply all of their aircraft. Not an entirely unreasonable approach in my opinion; I'm not really surprised that European Law is in place to protect the manufacturer, given that the Airbus project has been the posterboy of the EU.

So is the moral that if you're substantially delayed and Finnair say it is due to a manufacturing or design problem don't accept any compensation and refer the matter to the Finnish CPA?

Be interesting to see the outcome of this when ruled on in court whether the liability lies with the airline or the manufacturer...

As for the cost of flying, just the free market at work. Pay a premium to fly direct from a smaller market - I'm sure the same applies to other airlines from smaller countries (population wise) looking to attract customers from more competitive markets by lowering costs for them. Finnish customers can always choose an indirect route if it works out cheaper for them...

On 12/13/2017 at 21:44, PR1977 said:

Yeah I saw Cathay Pacific were starting up...when I checked price it was up around €800.

I've got Qatar Airways who started out of Dub a couple of months ago too lined up for next two trips so will see what they are like....

Apparently work has started on the second runway at Dublin Airport so here's hoping that might lead to a carrier starting direct flights.

Direct flights ex Dublin to ????

1 minute ago, brownmanc said:

Direct flights ex Dublin to ????

BKK

8 minutes ago, brownmanc said:

Sorry but no chance of direct DUB-BKK.

Why not?,Norwegian air talked about it before but nothing came of it,personally i think there will be a direct flight sometime in the future.

On 12/14/2017 at 00:57, soi16 said:

i used finnair a year ago , got delayed on the flight from dublin to helsinki . missed the ongoing connection to bkk . finnair arranged a flight with a different airline , so got in about 8 hours late . 

i subsequently claimed and received a choice of 600€ straight to my bank or 800€in credit to be used with finnair within 12/18 months . i used the voucher to pay for my next flights to bkk and have about 300 € left in credit .

happy days 

Another trick this company use is that.

You buy ticket with changeable return. 100€/change, but if and when you want to do that, those tickets are sold out and now it cost you only 400€ per change.

14 hours ago, brownmanc said:

Sorry but no chance of direct DUB-BKK.

You might be right but....if you had said a few years ago that there would be direct flights ex Dub to places liked Hong Kong and Addis Ababa that would have seemed far fetched.

One of the express intentions of building the second Runway was to open up direct routes to the Far East.

8 hours ago, soi16 said:

Another trick this company use is that.

You buy ticket with changeable return. 100€/change, but if and when you want to do that, those tickets are sold out and now it cost you only 400€ per change.

Surely the actual cost of allowing you to change the flights always remains the same as per the terms and conditions of your ticket at the point of purchase i.e. €100 as per above?

You also then have to pay the difference between the cost of your original ticket and the new fare plus a service fee. The cost of the new ticket may very well be higher than the original - particularly if you're making a change to a return date closer to time of departure - but again that's just market forces at work. All of this is outlined in the terms and conditions of the flight ticket.

If it was just a flat €100 to change tickets as and when passengers wanted I would suspect that would be very difficult for airlines to manage.

• 2 weeks later...

Some v good Biz Class deals on Finnair now, under £1500 return to BKK from LHR.

6 hours ago, Shaksey said:

You should know even that.

The lovely Finnair give you just 1h free Wi-Fi onboard.

So generous are them.

"Most of our long-haul aircraft also offer on-board Wi-Fi, enabling you to work or enjoy your own entertainment during your flight. For Business Class passengers and Finnair Plus Gold members the internet access is complimentary for one hour straight any time during the flight, and it’s easy to purchase more time whenever you need it. For Finnair Plus Platinum members the service is complimentary for the whole flight."

19 hours ago, Shaksey said:

You need to check your aircraft closely on the London Helsinki leg. If you get the one A350 a day you will get the full lie flat business class experience. Otherwise you will get a narrow cramped economy seat but with the middle seat empty

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:28, neilri2001 said:

You need to check your aircraft closely on the London Helsinki leg. If you get the one A350 a day you will get the full lie flat business class experience. Otherwise you will get a narrow cramped economy seat but with the middle seat empty

I booked two trips for £1500 each. Very short connection in HEL, both ways under 2hours. As you said, I am on A319/320 LHR-HEL and HEL-LHR legs but I am in 1C both ways so leg room and first on first off. It's only 2 hours or so and i'll have already stuffed my face in the Cathay and BA First Class lounges in LHR T3 on the way out so will just chill and read A GQ or whatever magazine I pinch from the lounges. Have A330 HEL-BKK and A350 BKK-HEL, nice long flights to get proper sleep all the way, 440 Tier points too which is a nice bonus.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 01:37, soi16 said:

You should know even that.

The lovely Finnair give you just 1h free Wi-Fi onboard.

So generous are them.

"Most of our long-haul aircraft also offer on-board Wi-Fi, enabling you to work or enjoy your own entertainment during your flight. For Business Class passengers and Finnair Plus Gold members the internet access is complimentary for one hour straight any time during the flight, and it’s easy to purchase more time whenever you need it. For Finnair Plus Platinum members the service is complimentary for the whole flight."

I am completely anti-Wifi on planes so that's a plus for me lol.

• 1 month later...

Travelling soon with Finnair to London. Is it possible to buy duty free liquor in BKK and tale to final destination or will they take it off me in Helsinki?

45 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Travelling soon with Finnair to London. Is it possible to buy duty free liquor in BKK and tale to final destination or will they take it off me in Helsinki?

I flew with Finnair from Hong Kong to Stockholm via Helsinki, and they confiscated my whiskey at Vanta Airport, Helsinki. Can not bring tax-free when flying from an EU country to another, so I was told.

Archived