Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

FinnAir

PR1977

I flew this airline for the first time in October. Brand spanking new A350s and return connecting via Helsinki for less than 600 euros all in from Dublin.

Less than 9 hours from Helsinki to Bangers and the airport there is small, easy to navigate and clean. 

The kicker here is that if you book on Finnair.com there's a facility which allows you to bid for a business class upgrade. The minimum offer was 278 euros which is what I bid for both legs just to make use of the facility when messing around on their website. Surprisingly they accepted on the way back and for 278 I got the full works including fast track through customs, lounge access and then the full business class service. Never flown business class before so nothing to compare against but was extremely impressed particularly with the personal a la carte service and the reclining seats which went all the way flat and had a great degree of privacy,

As far as I can make out there's 42 seats in business class at the moment in the cabin configuration that they're using which is about 15% of total seats onboard so I reckon there's a decent opportunity for business upgrades to be purchased at very reasonable prices via this bidding system. The FinnAir app is very impressive too, Definitely will fly them again on the back of this...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used them about 3 years ago.although it wasnt a `Brand spanking new A350`i had no complaints whatsoever,it didnt compare to Emirates etc but flights were punctual (very important),food was fine,entertainment was ok,and the flight itself is a lot shorter than from other European destinations(admittedly i did fly to Helsinki form Manchester first),also as you say Helsinki airport is easy to Navigate.

I wouldnt have any reservations about using them again!

I haven't flown A350's business class but I have seen some reviews which said it's cramped for the tall/large people.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't flown A350's business class but I have seen some reviews which said it's cramped for the tall/large people.

ive just used their business class on the A350. I found it a bit cramped to be fair , im 6' 3" and 230lb. the seats are wide enough its the length and narrowness of the leg area that are the issue. The pop out tv screen hinders you moving a bit too. That said i would use them again depending on the price of emirates/qatar/etihad competitors. The other issue for me was the 2.5 hr leg in a standard seat from manchester to helsinki again though its down to price if they're £500 cheaper than others  then it can be overlooked in my opinion. 

i´m flying Finnair to bkk in late feb. Will get back with my thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone experienced redeeming miles for an upgrade? Cant find on website, how many miles for an upgrade to London?

• 3 months later...

Had 10,000 points from my return trip last year (with upgrade as per above) that I've redeemed for a business class upgrade for the first leg of my September trip to LOS (i.e. the european leg to Helsinki)....

On 16/12/2016 at 7:54 PM, vimto66 said:

Used them about 3 years ago.although it wasnt a `Brand spanking new A350`

Finnair has three more A350s due, bringing them up to eleven. At the moment two of them are scheduled for delivery in June (one was delayed), and one more some time during 2017. When they are delivered they tend to put them straight onto the HEL<>BKK route. So this year you do stand quite a good chance of getting a plane that is two months old or less. This isnt always a good thing as if something is badly designed, or just breaks after a couple of uses, people on that route will be the ones to know about it. Doesnt happen too often though.

After these three the next scheduled new A350 is for the end of 2018.

In June/July 2012, I had a holiday in Germany and Austria. I flew ThaiAir to Bangkok, a week in LoS, and then had a return on FinnAir Bangkok-Helsinki-Munich. Price was much less than direct Bangkok-Munich on Lufthansa/ThaiAir codeshare.

Going out, very fast transfer at Helsinki airport so total journey time was only about one hour longer than direct. Coming back there was a two or three hour layover.

B777 plane (and Embraer Helsinki-Munich return) was fine and I was very happy with the service. Another time I might spend a few days in Helsinki as I have never been there.

FinnAir are in Star Alliance so one does score some reward points; I save mine and use them, when I have enough, for upgrade to Business on long overnight flights .

10 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

FinnAir are in Star Alliance

Oneworld.

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

FinnAir are in Star Alliance

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Oneworld.

Apologies, I stand corrected. I'm in OneWorld as well as Star Alliance so my recall was confused.

• 4 weeks later...

Came home yesterday with Finnair. First time I have used them and would definitely go with them again. The only downside is coming home the connection time is quite small. We were late leaving Bkk which meant lots of us had to literally run to make our connections to Dublin, Manchester etc.

18 hours ago, glenman said:

Came home yesterday with Finnair. First time I have used them and would definitely go with them again. The only downside is coming home the connection time is quite small. We were late leaving Bkk which meant lots of us had to literally run to make our connections to Dublin, Manchester etc.

In theory you flew on their latest A350 which was delivered a week or so ago and went straight into service on BKK<>HEL. I will be on it in a few weeks.

HEL is notorious for short connection times and lots of jogging!

Everything sounds ok. Will fly in November the destination: Zurich - Helsinki - Zurich  and back... i am excited ... first time with finair

Flew Business Class with them Singapore-Vilnius via Helsinki and enjoyed it except the part where the Pilot came in a bit heavy when landing back in Singapore & had to abort the landing.

Wasn't impressed with the Lounge in Helsinki (felt like the Escape/Windsor lounges in Manchester) but it was breakfast time & we only had 1 hour or so, so it wasn't a problem.

On 2017-6-12 at 5:33 AM, KittenKong said:

In theory you flew on their latest A350 which was delivered a week or so ago and went straight into service on BKK<>HEL. I will be on it in a few weeks.

HEL is notorious for short connection times and lots of jogging!

Yeah was on the A350. Was very impressed with it. Good thing about Helsinki is it's quite small so the jog was only about 3 minutes gate to gate.

Wow...3 minute ...  now i am not worry  any more... because  i fly in november  from Zurich to BKK  via  Helsinki  with finnair and there  is only a connecting  time of one hour... but now i fell save ... thx so much for information...

Might be 3 minutes if your final destination is UK(non-Schengen) but still 1 hour is enough if you have to go through passport check as most of the people can already use the automatic passport gates.

• 2 months later...

Flying again with this carrier Friday. Return via Helsinki 570 euros.

Put bids in for the business upgrade - got it for 278 last year - but now bids start at 470 minimum. Offered 650 just out of curiosity but that was declined - so evidently they're either selling a lot of business seats (46 total on their A350) or there's a lot of competitive bidders out there with deep pockets....

At least got Business for the Euro leg of the trip after using points from last year's upgrade....after that economy here I come :)

On 29/08/2017 at 00:23, PR1977 said:

At least got Business for the Euro leg of the trip after using points from last year's upgrade

Depending on which aircraft you are in that is barely worth having. Most of the HEL<>LHR flights are in A320s and the so-called Euro-business class on those is just regular economy seats in 3-3 configuration with the middle one of three left empty. You do get a meal and drinks though.

If you pick the right flying day/time then you may get the one A350 HEL<>LHR on that route in which, of course, you will get a proper business class seat (I had it one way out of two on my trip). Unfortunately they do have a habit of changing the plane used on that sector without any warning for "operational reasons".

On 6/12/2017 at 10:47, JB300 said:

Flew Business Class with them Singapore-Vilnius via Helsinki and enjoyed it except the part where the Pilot came in a bit heavy when landing back in Singapore & had to abort the landing.

Wasn't impressed with the Lounge in Helsinki (felt like the Escape/Windsor lounges in Manchester) but it was breakfast time & we only had 1 hour or so, so it wasn't a problem.

Yes use the Escape lounge in Manchester regularly with Priority Pass but flew Emirates and went in to their Lounge big difference food choice Holland's meat & potato  pie V Smoked Salmon & Filet Steak. :D 

They chanceld  my Flight from Helsinki to BKK in November... i am not happy and not satisfied....

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Depending on which aircraft you are in that is barely worth having. Most of the HEL<>LHR flights are in A320s and the so-called Euro-business class on those is just regular economy seats in 3-3 configuration with the middle one of three left empty. You do get a meal and drinks though.

If you pick the right flying day/time then you may get the one A350 HEL<>LHR on that route in which, of course, you will get a proper business class seat (I had it one way out of two on my trip). Unfortunately they do have a habit of changing the plane used on that sector without any warning for "operational reasons".

A319 on that sector so it will be the very minimum biz class service. Still, beats economy I suppose. At least get priority check in for both sectors and lounge access...

Archived