IGNORED

Natan's Jomtien

Just left. I'll post a full review tomorrow.

It was complete and utter shite.

The owner is taking the piss.

I ate half the starter and less than a quarter of the main course.

It may not be cheap, but life is too short to subject my palate to that.

The worst beef stroganoff I have ever tasted by far.

At least the wine was ok.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Here you go, my full review:

Natan's Restaurant

A Truly Disappointing Experience

I tried Natan's for the first, and last, time tonight.

You should be aware that this is an open-air restaurant, albeit with a roof, so be prepared to sweat while you eat.

When I arrived the restaurant was about a quarter full. I waited near the entrance for a while but when no-one approached I went to a table. As I reached it, a member of staff came to me and asked if I was dining alone. He then tried to put me at the worst table in the restaurant, next to the entrance and the street & traffic. I refused, saying it would be too hot, so he sat me elsewhere - but not at the table I had originally chosen.

The menu is mainly 'French' cuisine with some Thai dishes.

There was an extensive wine list but full bottles only. When I enquired, I was told they did have House wine by the glass or carafe but there was no indication of the price or what the wine was.

I chose the Bruschetta with Mozzarella & Parma Ham for a starter.

The taste was overwhelmingly one of vinegar, with a slight saltiness from the Ham struggling to come through. Underneath, the Bruschetta was burnt. Overall, quite unpleasant.

For a main course I chose Beef Stroganoff. There was a choice of 5 different types of potato as an accompaniment, I chose Dauphinois.

The 'stroganoff' was truly misnamed. There was no cream anywhere near the dish. It tasted overwhelmingly of overcooked capsicum. Truly unpleasant. I ate very little of it.

The 'Dauphinois' was a fairly tasteless mush, burnt on top. Again, there didn't appear to be any dairy products anywhere near this dish.

The manager (owner?) clearly saw I ate very little of the meal as he signaled a waitress to clear the table. However, he made no attempt to speak to me or ask how I found the meal.

The one redeeming feature was that the House Red was quite good.

This restaurant is fairly expensive for the area and there are MANY far better options.

I most certainly will not be returning.

• Like 3

And the photos:

IMG_4036.JPGIMG_4033.JPGIMG_4032.JPG

Where is it in Jomtien ?

Did you take any photos of the menu ?

What were the prices of what you had ?

Sorry guy but its a very sparse review for a place most of us have never even heard of.

I've just done a google search about it but, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience there, but it would have been much more helpful if you had made a far more detailed and informative post but thanks anyway for the photos, and a the description of why it was crap

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1500638-Reviews-Natan_s-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Natans/154024804665678

It's a fairly prominent restaurant as regards TripAdvisor etc so I thought people in Jomtien would know it.

When I first began researching Jomtien a couple of years ago it was one of the first places that popped up on searches.

It's on Thappraya as you go towards the arch - almost opposite Simon's Fish & Chips.

It's owned by a (gay) French guy and is well known for French cusine - with some Thai dishes.

My total bill was 930 baht.

Roughly 50/50 food/drink.

It's a fairly prominent restaurant as regards TripAdvisor etc so I thought people in Jomtien would know it.

When I first began researching Jomtien a couple of years ago it was one of the first places that popped up on searches.

It's on Thappraya as you go towards the arch - almost opposite Simon's Fish & Chips.

It's owned by a (gay) French guy and is well known for French cusine - with some Thai dishes.

My total bill was 930 baht.

Roughly 50/50 food/drink.

Thanks, I wasn't being rude and I hope you didn't take it that I was.

Its just that the more information any review contains the better it is and I guess most guys on here are like me and know very little of Jomtien.

I've only been maybe 3 or 4 times and that was just for a walk around the beach during the day.

Not impressed last time a went there, steak served on a stone cold plate with no garnish/salad whatsoever, the side potatoes were cold, we where told they had run out of salad,

Thee waiter chewing gum while taking the order, nobody asked if are meal was ok, I was with two big spenders who will never go back

Just left. I'll post a full review tomorrow.

It was complete and utter shite.

The owner is taking the piss.

I ate half the starter and less than a quarter of the main course.

It may not be cheap, but life is too short to subject my palate to that.

The worst beef stroganoff I have ever tasted by far.

At least the wine was ok.

And such small portions! (old joke)

old restaurant joke

I had dinner and x restaurant.    How was it?  I got good news and bad news.  Whats the bad news?  The food was awful.   Whats the good news?  They didnt give you very much

I eat there about 2 times every month, love the place, all fish dishes there good, lamb good, a mate had duck and it was shite,

So I guess there are some shit dishes served there.

Only ever had the Thai food there, found it very good although a little bit pricey

• 1 year later...

Well - Davidge and I do not always agree and that helps the world to keep spinning I guess. :)

I stopped in last night. Am I wow'd by the place? Absolutely not. Food is (at least what I had) a little above mediocre. I had the Chicken Breast stuffed with mushrooms and a brown mushroom sauce with some mashed potatoes. The house wine (chilled red) was a little better than ok.

All of that came to 400 baht and although not wow'd by any means, I felt I had decent enough value. I like the atmosphere and the location. My GF likes as well, so we are likely to stop in from time to time, although I will avoid the Stroganoff. There is something about the quiet atmosphere off of the busy street that appeals to me. Or maybe I am some days just too damn lazy to walk over to the Sandbar or Olala. 

Here is the link I have. Sorry, but forgot to take pics.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Natans/154024804665678

Edited by ChiFlyer

On 12/14/2016 at 23:41, davidge said:

Here you go, my full review:

Natan's Restaurant

A Truly Disappointing Experience

I tried Natan's for the first, and last, time tonight.

You should be aware that this is an open-air restaurant, albeit with a roof, so be prepared to sweat while you eat.

When I arrived the restaurant was about a quarter full. I waited near the entrance for a while but when no-one approached I went to a table. As I reached it, a member of staff came to me and asked if I was dining alone. He then tried to put me at the worst table in the restaurant, next to the entrance and the street & traffic. I refused, saying it would be too hot, so he sat me elsewhere - but not at the table I had originally chosen.

The menu is mainly 'French' cuisine with some Thai dishes.

There was an extensive wine list but full bottles only. When I enquired, I was told they did have House wine by the glass or carafe but there was no indication of the price or what the wine was.

I chose the Bruschetta with Mozzarella & Parma Ham for a starter.

The taste was overwhelmingly one of vinegar, with a slight saltiness from the Ham struggling to come through. Underneath, the Bruschetta was burnt. Overall, quite unpleasant.

For a main course I chose Beef Stroganoff. There was a choice of 5 different types of potato as an accompaniment, I chose Dauphinois.

The 'stroganoff' was truly misnamed. There was no cream anywhere near the dish. It tasted overwhelmingly of overcooked capsicum. Truly unpleasant. I ate very little of it.

The 'Dauphinois' was a fairly tasteless mush, burnt on top. Again, there didn't appear to be any dairy products anywhere near this dish.

The manager (owner?) clearly saw I ate very little of the meal as he signaled a waitress to clear the table. However, he made no attempt to speak to me or ask how I found the meal.

The one redeeming feature was that the House Red was quite good.

This restaurant is fairly expensive for the area and there are MANY far better options.

I most certainly will not be returning.

So....can you name some of the far MANY better options please?

1 hour ago, djidji said:

So....can you name some of the far MANY better options please?

Given it was easily the worst meal I’ve had in several recent trips, pretty much any other restaurant you can find.

7 hours ago, davidge said:

Given it was easily the worst meal I’ve had in several recent trips, pretty much any other restaurant you can find.

Too bad you can’t name any .

30 minutes ago, djidji said:

Too bad you can’t name any .

:SoWhat1:

Gians

News Steaks & Grill

Fraser's 

Pig & Whistle

La Bocca

The Grill House at Rabbit Resort 

Simons Fish & Chips 

Mignon

Hemingways

Akvavit 

Simple Simons 

Surf Kitchen

Oasis 

Jomtien Boathouse Restaurant & Grill 

Yorkies 

Tomas Wine Bar & Restaurant 

Yupins

Moonlight

Laong’s

Linda’s

Salotto

Rich Man Poor Man

Sandbar by the Sea

Poseidon’s

Wooden Box

L’Olivier

Acquapazza

Restaurant Danmark 

Cafe Le Mar

Glass House

Really can’t be bothered to list any more. Now please go away.

This is getting a little silly.

Davidge has put in a lot of work doing reviews of the restaurants etc. in the Pattaya/Jomtien area. I have nothing but respect for his opinions. I do not always agree with him, but hey one man's ceiling is another man's floor etc.

Thanks for the review. When I'm in town I tend to follow Trip Advisor and am often underwhelmed. Too many glowing reviews written by tourists wearing rose coloured glasses. It's good to have a different perspective from somebody who obviously knows the local scene well. Do you have links to any of your other reviews?

I am probably kicking a dead dog on this one, but thought I would do so anyway.

First off, I have no doubt that the OP (Davidge) was served up a terrible meal that would turn anyone off of the place for life. I do find most of the menu items that I have tried to be mediocre plus at best. However, there is something about the place that I like.

The GF had a really good day at her business yesterday. I met her as she was closing shop and to celebrate we decided to grab a bite with her sister. Her place of business is near Natan's and with everyone being a little tired from a long work day, we decided to go there.

We had a very enjoyable time and the food was better than decent. As far as the food goes this place is not at the level of a Cafe des Amis or Au bon Coin, but all in all I was again satisfied with the value of what we got. We ordered a variety of items and shared them. Total  bill was a little over 2000 baht with a large chunk of that going toward the lobster and dessert.

Here are a few pics.

General decor decorated for Chinese New Year.

Natan-1.thumb.JPG.d80994f3b0a1bed9d238b5c33952193e.JPG

Specials board. I would order off of here rather than the main menu.

Natan-2.thumb.JPG.c6b794543e0e1c5df31c76668764c5d5.JPG

Cesar Salad

Natan-3.thumb.JPG.5ed87978cf3b9e4f69d9a26bcf9eef04.JPG

Kow Phat something or other

Natan-4.thumb.JPG.ea088ed75210a0b8a73464b5a96cc665.JPG

Spaghetti dish

Natan-5.thumb.JPG.fb10ef11c13e5db8fff4ac8e9efa141f.JPG

King Lobster - 890 baht

Natan-6.thumb.JPG.8a31c0c72b7de5f0d67889b047e55ec5.JPG

Owner preparing a black truffle sauce table side to go with the lobster

Natan-7.thumb.JPG.77978bf7ca37d44bb4684e871bf1d543.JPG

The GF ordered this dessert for all to share. Seems to be something like a Baked Alaska. That is vodka that is flaming.

Natan-8.thumb.JPG.ee257ff0c1c4166adfc5f37bba0b4bfb.JPG

Edited by ChiFlyer

44 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am probably kicking a dead dog on this one, but thought I would do so anyway.

Yep, kicking a dead dog!

Prices are as much, if not more than a similar establishment in the UK, I don't expect to pay that price in a non A/C restraunt in Jontien.

Admittedly, I haven't tasted the food, but going by the photos and price, the Cesar salad should be dressed before coming to the table and be constituted of Romaine lettuce or something very similar which is crispy, completely the wrong lettuce. Not César salad.

The spaghetti looked anaemic and a small portion, more like a Thai spaghetti with prawns, usually sells for around 100 baht.

The king lobster looked very pale, guess it was frozen, for that price I would expect to pick my lobster live from a tank. And making the dressing at the table, pretentious moi?!

Kow pad goong was, err kow pad goong, average portion, not well dressed, 100 baht max.

Fuck knows what he was doing flambéing a baked Alaska with vodka!

All in all extremely pretentious shite.

I'll stick with Bm @davidge's review but even that worries me when he recommended Lindas, where I had a full English breakfast recently and it was simply the worst breakfast I've had anywhere. Should have stuck to Simons on Soi 5.

Edited by Darksider11

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 00:04, CuppaTea said:

I've just done a google search about it

Be very wary of reviews on TripAdvisor. Many fake positive reviews and negative reviews are often removed.

2 hours ago, Darksider11 said:

Be very wary of reviews on TripAdvisor. Many fake positive reviews and negative reviews are often removed.

I agree don't overly rely on TA. 

But there aren't many other sources of legit info here. The press is not allowed to post negative reviews and there is no yelp here either. 

Fake reviews are pretty easy to sniff out. Such as a bunch of five star reviews from people with one or two total reviews. 

I don't think negative reviews are usually removed unless there is some legitimate challenge to them such as obscenity or the person obviously wasn't even at the restaurant he's reviewing. I've posted negative reviews on TA and never an issue. 

I post sincere reviews on TripAdvisor but I do tend to inflate the star ratings. I think I do that mainly because my perspective is of someone living here so I'm rating in a relative way for what's available locally. I also add stars for value for money. My attitude isn't like I'm from the Michelin organization.

Edited by Kreggerz

5 hours ago, Darksider11 said:

Yep, kicking a dead dog!

Prices are as much, if not more than a similar establishment in the UK, I don't expect to pay that price in a non A/C restraunt in Jontien.

Admittedly, I haven't tasted the food, but going by the photos and price, the Cesar salad should be dressed before coming to the table and be constituted of Romaine lettuce or something very similar which is crispy, completely the wrong lettuce. Not César salad.

The spaghetti looked anaemic and a small portion, more like a Thai spaghetti with prawns, usually sells for around 100 baht.

The king lobster looked very pale, guess it was frozen, for that price I would expect to pick my lobster live from a tank. And making the dressing at the table, pretentious moi?!

Kow pad goong was, err kow pad goong, average portion, not well dressed, 100 baht max.

Fuck knows what he was doing flambéing a baked Alaska with vodka!

All in all extremely pretentious shite.

I'll stick with Bm @davidge's review but even that worries me when he recommended Lindas, where I had a full English breakfast recently and it was simply the worst breakfast I've had anywhere. Should have stuck to Simons on Soi 5.

I didn’t recommend Linda’s I simply listed restaurants that were better options than Natans - not a very high bar!

As for Linda’s , I agree that their version of a ‘full English’ is strange at best. I wouldn’t order it again. However, I have enjoyed a couple of their breakfast/lunch specials which are decent value.  eg Pancake with bacon Norwegian style. Had a decent evening meal there with friends as well - though the evening a la carte menu is well overpriced.

• Like 1