IGNORED

Songthaew-Dual Pricing from 1 Jan

sagitarius123

It was authorised yesterday at City Hall that with effect from 1 January 17 prices would increase to 20 Baht for Farang and remain at 10 Baht for Thai's.

Baht bus operators have been pressuring City Hall for an increase, as there have been no price rises for many years.

The authorities initially approved a 5 Baht increase but the operators claimed that this would slow them down by having to fumble around for change, thereby reducing their income.

City Hall agreed that by charging tourists double it would have the same effect.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they were to ply their normal routes instead of waiting all day to try screw me of another few bahts , I don't mind paying the difference. Its been a long time since the last increase and it still is one of the cheapest system in the world.

BTW , where is your link?

Please remember to like and subscribe.

It was authorised yesterday at City Hall that with effect from 1 January 17 prices would increase to 20 Baht for Farang and remain at 10 Baht for Thai's.

Baht bus operators have been pressuring City Hall for an increase, as there have been no price rises for many years.

The authorities initially approved a 5 Baht increase but the operators claimed that this would slow them down by having to fumble around for change, thereby reducing their income.

City Hall agreed that by charging tourists double it would have the same effect.

What about Farangs who have the pink Thai ID card?

I'm predicting mucho arguments with foreigners who haven't heard about the approval of the rate increase. As in tourists who know just enough to b dangerous.

20 baht still very fair. Was always surprised it was so low for so long. Great it remains the same for locals.

20 baht still very fair. Was always surprised it was so low for so long. Great it remains the same for locals.

If this is true its really great news for anyone looking like a Thai, not just Thais.

You buzz, it stops, you give your money and it leaves. Mostly you give it to the front seat passenger, not even the driver.and no words are exchanged.

I personally think that any dual pricing is wrong because it just perpetuates the insularity and blindness of Thai people towards the rest of the world and their very minor place in it.

"We are Thai, we are better, we know best Thailand win !" is the stupid nationalism that that the people are fed and believe despite the obvious truth.

Yes their are discounts throughout the world for locals  but only on being able to produce identification proving they are

They are not the norm, they are exceptions..

Thai methodology is "You are farang you must pay more" and that cannot be right in a country that doesn't want to be considered 3rd world

I'm not begrudging some poor people getting something cheaper, just the mindset behind the blanket "We are Thai and you are not so you must pay more"

Crock of shit So you live here pay money for visas etc and then get screwed yet again as a falang to pay more than a local despite probably putting more into government coffers than some locals

Oh how I love the positive discrimination of Thailand

I won't put much faith in this info until I see a link to the official announcement.

Nothing on Thaivisa that I can see. Fun and games are coming if this accurate !!

No further flesh on the bones.....??  Again nothing on Thaivisa

Just appeared on thai visa just now. So it is true

Can anyone remember what year it went to 10 baht?

Can anyone remember what year it went to 10 baht?

This is from another thread on the same topic....

"in 1999, the baht bus was dual priced, 5 baht for Thais and 10 for Farangs, but over the following 12 months or so it became 10 baht for all".

This is from another thread on the same topic....

"in 1999, the baht bus was dual priced, 5 baht for Thais and 10 for Farangs, but over the following 12 months or so it became 10 baht for all".

Just amazing really.

One thing which has always amazed me is how so many thai people use it to go relatively short distances.

Just amazing really.

One thing which has always amazed me is how so many thai people use it to go relatively short distances.

Indeed....same in Bangkok on the BTS and MRT.......often just one stop......just plain lazy or smart....not sure which!

Indeed....same in Bangkok on the BTS and MRT.......often just one stop......just plain lazy or smart....not sure which!

I've seen the same in London all of the time, people going 1 or 2 tube stops, particularly on the District Line.

Distances between stations are about the same, about 10 - 15 minutes walk.

And there can be an awful lot of walking and steps just to get onto the BTS / MRT & back to the street again.

Meh extra 10 baht. Can get rid of those annoying 20 baht notes, and leave the 1, 5 and 10 coins for the housemaids instead...

As for two tier pricing, why complain. It's always existed and always will.

Guys will argue it is only $0.28 increase, but.

From where I stay I often need to change baht buses to get to my destination. So that is 40 baht one way. Plus another 40 baht to get back home. And if I am with a TG, then add (10+10)*2=40 baht, so that makes 120 baht for us to go to f.ex. Big C Extra/Harbour and back to Jomtien. I ride the baht bus a lot to different destinations, and if 120 is a daily baht bus cost, then the monthly budget will become 3600 THB for baht bus. I can have a cheaper bus deal in Norway.

Well its a small cost anyway so not gong to break my budget, and I can see two possible advantages.

First, I carry a purse of small change around to ensure that I have coins for the baht bus - perhaps I don't need to carry coins any more?

Secondly I get fed up, especially in the evening, of trying to flag down a baht bus and the number of empty baht buses that just sail past (presumably looking for more lucrative fares); perhaps they might feel it more worthwhile stopping if we are now paying double the fares. Although I suspect that is just wishful thinking! LOL

Crock of shit So you live here pay money for visas etc and then get screwed yet again as a falang to pay more than a local despite probably putting more into government coffers than some locals

Oh how I love the positive discrimination of Thailand

You do have a choice.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." Jack Handey

Archived