Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

The Haven in soi lenkee

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Did they bring the jackalope with them when they moved?

A funny but true story.  A number of years ago....................back on Beach Road around 2000 I had breakfast at The Haven one morning with my Thai GF at the time.  There was a jackalope that was on the wall.  She remarked at what it was and that she had never seen one before.  I told her that it was a jackalope and is a cross between an antelope and a jack rabbit which to make things simpler I said was like a deer and a rabbit.  I explained that they lived in Canada.  Thai GF at the time was working in Bangkok for a Canadian company that did laser eye surgery.  About six months later she was in Calgary, Canada for a conference.  At the end of one of the days of the conference the hosts asked if there was anything in particular that they would like to see or do in Calgary.  Thai GF speaks up and says she would like to go out and see a jackalope in the wild if that was possible.  The Canadian hosts just looked at each other and then burst out laughing.  They then asked her where she had heard of a jackalope.  She then told the story above of seeing one on a wall in Thailand.  Suffice to say Thai GF took it all in good humor but did let me know that there was no such thing as a jackalope.......and no, that didn't end the relationship!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did they bring the jackalope with them when they moved?

A funny but true story.  A number of years ago....................back on Beach Road around 2000 I had breakfast at The Haven one morning with my Thai GF at the time.  There was a jackalope that was on the wall.  She remarked at what it was and that she had never seen one before.  I told her that it was a jackalope and is a cross between an antelope and a jack rabbit which to make things simpler I said was like a deer and a rabbit.  I explained that they lived in Canada.  Thai GF at the time was working in Bangkok for a Canadian company that did laser eye surgery.  About six months later she was in Calgary, Canada for a conference.  At the end of one of the days of the conference the hosts asked if there was anything in particular that they would like to see or do in Calgary.  Thai GF speaks up and says she would like to go out and see a jackalope in the wild if that was possible.  The Canadian hosts just looked at each other and then burst out laughing.  They then asked her where she had heard of a jackalope.  She then told the story above of seeing one on a wall in Thailand.  Suffice to say Thai GF took it all in good humor but did let me know that there was no such thing as a jackalope.......and no, that didn't end the relationship!

Great story mate...but no, there are no stuffed animals displayed on the walls of the new Haven.

Great story mate...but no, there are no stuffed animals displayed on the walls of the new Haven.

That's too bad!   :(

After having a brekfast at Retox(not impressed) i walked in The Haven to inquire about a room starting from tomorrow for 3 nights.They were free rooms and i was offered the bigger one for 1000.Asked about discount i was told "not possible high season".Thats fine but you still have free rooms i tought.

Maybe at the end i will still book a room there,dont know will think,i liked La Cerise so much.

But if i think about why the La Cerise concept failed,first thing that comes to my mind it was a bit to upmarket for the location.

In the late stage of La Cerise the rooms were offered at exactly the same prices.

It didnt work.Will it work for the Haven?

After having a brekfast at Retox(not impressed) i walked in The Haven to inquire about a room starting from tomorrow for 3 nights.They were free rooms and i was offered the bigger one for 1000.Asked about discount i was told "not possible high season".Thats fine but you still have free rooms i tought.

Maybe at the end i will still book a room there,dont know will think,i liked La Cerise so much.

But if i think about why the La Cerise concept failed,first thing that comes to my mind it was a bit to upmarket for the location.

In the late stage of La Cerise the rooms were offered at exactly the same prices.

It didnt work.Will it work for the Haven?

There are 2 primary differences between then and now. First is that The Haven runs friendly golf tournaments on Mon/Wed/Friday, so some golf guys will find it convenient to stay there. The second difference is the restaurant - now it is called a Taste of Thailand and the food is excellent and competitively priced. 

These differences, plus continuing with all that is good with La Cerise should make it work. I do agree with you on pricing though...they need to cut their prices during low season (by 100-200THB).

Do they have a swimming pool?

I emailed Steve and he confirmed that you can use the hotel behinds pool and GYM for 50 bhat a day. It's li,e 50 yards away.

I have booked 1st 3 nights of my trip in May at the haven,if it's spot on will extend it to my whole trip.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Do you know if they charge less if you stay for a month or more?

Sorry mate, I didn't notice monthly rates. Email them for info.

I emailed Steve and he confirmed that you can use the hotel behinds pool and GYM for 50 bhat a day. It's li,e 50 yards away.

I have booked 1st 3 nights of my trip in May at the haven,if it's spot on will extend it to my whole trip.

Mate I am sure you will enjoy the Haven, have a great time.

• 4 weeks later...

is the Haven on soi 13 still open ?

No. It has been demolished.

I think you mean only part demolished and shut for months ☺

I think you mean only part demolished and shut for months ☺

closed early 2016

Great review LW and now I'm seriously thinking about staying here in March because I prefer Soi Lengkee. A big thing for me are the mattresses...are they as comfortable as they look in the photos? At least softer than the typical concrete slabs (aka mattresses) found in most budget accommodations in SE Asia? Also do the rooms have kettles?

Good review LW.

I stayed at La Cerise 3 times, and it's good to have this option back in the Soi Lengkee area.

The room you booked definitely is small - I stayed there once and felt a bit cramped. My advice to most people would be to try booking the King room, well worth the extra 200B. Access to the room through the restaurant area (low-height door and steep steps) were the other little downsides.

The restaurant area definitely looks more appropriate for the area compared with La Cerise's bohemian French look 5555

Lots of competition in the area for ~1000B night (including full-service hotels in low season) so it will be interesting to see how they go.

They've stopped doing the free coffee/tea refill on breakfasts now.

Been having brekkies here for 3 months now but at 145 bht (with 2 coffees) it's no longer good value.

Great review LW and now I'm seriously thinking about staying here in March because I prefer Soi Lengkee. A big thing for me are the mattresses...are they as comfortable as they look in the photos? At least softer than the typical concrete slabs (aka mattresses) found in most budget accommodations in SE Asia? Also do the rooms have kettles?

Mate, the mattresses were good in my opinion....not the cheapo concrete slabs. Sorry mate, not sure about kettle in room - I can't remember...anyone know?

No kettle

Edit. I'm sorry if that answer was too political

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Looks absolutely perfect to me for the price. Do any of the hotels near by let you use their pool?

See post #34

IIRC, the hotel is "Vogue Hotel"

Up to 2 years ago I stayed virtually next door in the block lower down towards soi Buk,all these units/studios are almost the same as each other and similar prices,if like me staying for four or five months a year I negotiated a rate of 12,000 baht/month inc of water& electric,for 50 baht/day you could use the Vogue Hotels gym and pool.Current rate a good friend of mine pays in Noble Place (next door) is 13,000 baht/month fully inclusive.

The Bluebird Cafe round the side of the Haven is much more.....yet the same room layout....go figure :Think1:

The vogue hotel you speak of.......Is it on soi buakhao or 3rd road.?.......checked it out-looks good!

Archived