IGNORED

Thai Time Machine: Phuket Town

While this forum may not see many people travelling to Phuket - or if they do they hit Patong - this post is about Phuket Town, the capital city of Phuket Island.

I've dropped in twice, spending a few days each time, this year. It's very fucking cool. (but... it's not a place for mongers). The best I would describe the place is 'bohemian'. It's quite arty, with many galleries dotted over the town, heaps of second hand bookshops cum eateries, old Chinese apothecarists, stunning 1900's architecture, and a place where many businesses trade on a 'vintage' vibe, it's become one of my all-time favourite SEA places to chill out.

And right around the corner is a little bar that plays live blues 6 nights a week if thats your thing.

And right around the corner is a little bar that plays live blues 6 nights a week if thats your thing.

I have been to pattaya nines times since 2013 and twice already this year .

I'm heading to Phuket and samui for a HOLIDAY. I am staying in kata area but will hit Phuket town as well.

Well it would certainly make a change from Pattaya where you can listen to any live music you want so long as its heavy rock. (Gets ready to be shouted at.)

You description of Phuket town is good I agree.While you are on that side of Phuket you might like having a look at Saphan Hin park.I have had some good afternoons there chilling and sitting down on the grass eating some food from the carts there.

You description of Phuket town is good I agree.While you are on that side of Phuket you might like having a look at Saphan Hin park.I have had some good afternoons there chilling and sitting down on the grass eating some food from the carts there.

Is that the lookout that you access via a long winding road that goes past a huge gold Buddha ? We had some time to kill before an appointment I had, so I paid a taxi driver to just drive us around for a while. That lookout was pretty boring. 

And the taxi driver did the old 'take you to souvenir shop' which was some overpriced jewellery peddlers where the staff were VULTURES, trying first to guilt me into buying some crap for the girl I was with, then attempting to put it onto her to make me buy shit. Neither of us were having a bar of it, but I know how these things work, and the taxi driver usually gets a small bonus for taking falangs there (in this case he was quite open, and told us he gets a card stamp which can eventually be redeemed for fuel)

So for those who don't see humor in the absurd (I make light of everything, so this jewellery scam was just another situation I played with), avoid the taxi tours if they say souvenir shops are part of the tour. 

Anyway, in the Old Quarter of Phuket Town, there is a restaurant run by an old Chinese man called Kopitiam. Highly recommended, they make the BEST duck I have tasted in my entire life. 

On Sundays (from memory) there is a big street market in the old quarter too. It's mostly populated by Thai locals, so you can enjoy grazing on all sorts on unidentifiable food from hawkers and carts. 

The restaurants n the Old Quarter are typically western influenced, but again, it kind of feels like theyre catering more for trendy & Boho Thai's rather than falang. I had not only the best cappucino ever experienced in Thailand, but it also rated high compared to what I get at home. 

If your girl suggests going to 'Expo', don't do it. It's just a giant shopping warehouse mostly filled with knock off clothing labels (and this month of mourning, every third vendor was selling only black clothes, which was a bit surreal)

Good beer lovers will be in for a treat. Keep an eye open for illuminated signs in some bars, they sell Duval, Hoegaarden and other tasty Euro brews. I remember last time, three of us (me, mate, Thai girl) went to this strange little bar called Comix, ordered 'the largest Hoe's you got' and minutes later was brought three CAULDRONS of beer, probably 1.5 litres each glass, in heavy german style. Watching a skinny 40kg Thai girl have a crack at drinking this monster was a lot of fun. 

OK Gaz, I googled Saphan Hin, it's not at all what I was thinking of. Looks like an OK place to escape the hustle and bustle of the town, sit in the shade with a few cold Changs and some hawker treats. Will certainly head there next time. 

OK Gaz, I googled Saphan Hin, it's not at all what I was thinking of. Looks like an OK place to escape the hustle and bustle of the town, sit in the shade with a few cold Changs and some hawker treats. Will certainly head there next time. 

Yes thats it a park near the sea. Saphan in thai means "bridge" and Hin means "stone"

Archived