IGNORED

Possible overstay on 30 day visit?

Carl123

I am contemplating booking a flight that returns or leaves from Bangkok at 12:10AM (00:10).  I want to prolong my visit as much as possible and will technically be overstaying by 10 minutes.  

What are the chances I will be caught or found guilty of this infraction?

What are the penalties (I have heard 500bt a day)?

If caught will this infraction of the rules effect my getting back in on my next trip?

Thanks for all informed replies!!

Women Are Like Elephants. I Like to Look At Em. But I Wouldn't Want to Own One. - WC Fields

You wont be overstaying as you'll be going through immigration at least couple hours earlier

You wont be overstaying as you'll be going through immigration at least couple hours earlier

I believe that it is when the plane leaves that is relevant rather than when you pass through immigration. However, I very much doubt that the OP will have any issues as immigration are unlikely to worry about it. Normally there is no fine for a 1 day overstay.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

They pay attention to time, I made it by 10 minutes once, immigration laughed.

I overstayed two days two visits ago. I forgot about 31 days in a moth, and miscalculated the first day. I had a 60 day visa, arrived on the first and left on the first two months later.Was pulled out of line and fined 1000 baht. Didn't effect return visit.

Carl123,

I did what you are planning in Dec 2015 without a fine or question.  On arrival, my passport was stamped admit until 10Dec and my flight actually departed on 11Dec at 01:35.  I passed through BKK immigrations on 10Dec at 23:00 and my passport was stamped departed on 10Dec even though my flight departed on 11Dec.

It always seemed to me that they count when your plane leaves, not when you goes through immigration. However, there is a 24 hour grace period when leaving from an international airport (not overland). They make a brief note in your passport of an overstay of less than 24 hours, no fine and send you on your way.  I have a bunch of such notes in my passport as I like to make the most of my 30 day condo/motorbike rentals.

I have a bunch of such notes in my passport as I like to make the most of my 30 day condo/motorbike rentals.

Personally I wouldn't do that as a matter of routine. Each one is being recorded then one day you have a big overstay but for a genuine reason and they subsequently pull your past record up

^ Good to know how you feel. Are we getting to know each other so we can go out on a date? My point is the OP should be just fine as per his question. Also to the OP, there have been times the immigration officer did not even make a note, he just mentioned it as he processed my exit stamp and waved me through.

This is what my last less than 24 hours overstay looks like in my passport, no note, he just jotted down my flight number as they usually do without overstay. This was at Don Mung airport.

orca_share_media1479537207289.jpg

If you're really worried about it you can buy an extension once in Thailand. I overstayed several weeks once due to an eye infection which prevented me from flying (the airline directed me to the airport doctor as it was pretty visible to them at the check in counter). I purchased a 2 week visa extension, then overstayed the extension by a further 3 weeks as you are not allowed to get a second extension.

500 baht a day fine at the airport but no problems with returning again on future trips. 

Carl123,

I did what you are planning in Dec 2015 without a fine or question.  On arrival, my passport was stamped admit until 10Dec and my flight actually departed on 11Dec at 01:35.  I passed through BKK immigrations on 10Dec at 23:00 and my passport was stamped departed on 10Dec even though my flight departed on 11Dec.

I did the same the last two times.    Stayed 60 days + 30 days extension.  Flight was leaving on day 91 but right after midnight both times.  Passed immigration late on day 90.  Both times  no problems and no questions asked.

Thanks for all the prompt replies.

Never heard of the 1 day grace period on overstay but regardless I will probably go ahead and book the flight leaving at 12:10 AM.

Once again Thanks 

Women Are Like Elephants. I Like to Look At Em. But I Wouldn't Want to Own One. - WC Fields

Thanks for all the prompt replies.

Never heard of the 1 day grace period on overstay but regardless I will probably go ahead and book the flight leaving at 12:10 AM.

Once again Thanks 

You're welcome. The grace period or less than 24 hour overstay is talked about on other forms like Thai Visa also. Just remember, it is not available at the land crossings and if you stay longer than 24 hours, you loose out on that grace period, you will be fined for the first day along with any subsequent days.

Archived