IGNORED

Photoshop question. Using a mouse...

Klongwater

I normally use a graphics tablet and stylus when working in Photoshop,but have just damaged a nerve in my writing arm and so that's now not an option.

I've just attempted some selections with the pen tool using a mouse,but can't get accurate selections as the cursor flies across the screen with the slightest mouse movement. It's a cheap mouse....ok for clicking on buttons and menu bars,but hopeless for trying to carefully harvest pixels.

So,the questions :

Obviously,I need a better mouse. Is there any performance improvement between optical (wireless) mice and ones with a cable connection? Looking at prices,I assume both do a good job.

Do mouse pads make a difference? I haven't used one in years.

I need to work with a less sensitive,but more accurate,mouse. I've seen a few on Amazon where the DPI is variable....a lower (200) DPI for less aggressive but more intensive (more controlled) editing? The higher values are for gamers who need to race across the screen as fast as possible? As I want the less sensitive end of the range,there's no point getting one with a big range of high value DPI? Anything with 200 DPI should suffice? Is 200 DPI the lowest/slowest value? I want my mouse to respond in small accurate moves not super fast sweeps across the screen.

Ive also read that some mice can have variable weight,meaning it can be made heavier by adding weighted shapes into slots on the body,therefore making movements slower and more deliberate? Are these kinds of mouse worth the extra money...does adding more weight really translate into more accuracy,more control,less movement from minute twitching?

Some of the gaming mice have programmable shortcut buttons.....but how many of these are really needed? I saw one earlier that had 18 buttons....that's a lot to remember!

Would appreciate knowing what kind of mouse would support (specifically) making detailed selections in PS. I'm not interested in gaming,or getting a trackball,just a recommendation for an accurate mouse. And how relevant all the factors mentioned above are.

Thanks in advance.

Build a man a fire,and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I know in Windows there are settings to adjust mouse sensitivity. You said you are using a tablet for what you want?What tablet are you using there might be settings to adjust for mouse sensitivity.

I know in Windows there are settings to adjust mouse sensitivity. You said you are using a tablet for what you want?What tablet are you using there might be settings to adjust for mouse sensitivity.

Thanks....I'll explore the options in the Control Panel and see what difference it makes. I thought I would need better equipment rather than adjust the setting.

The tablet is an alternative to using a mouse or trackpad (I have a Huion brand but Wacom are the best known)...its not an IPad type of device but more of a responsive slate that you write on and it controls what happens on the screen.

Build a man a fire,and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

On a mac i use a normal mouse, wired or wireless is no different, yep adjust tracking speed to suit yourself. using pen tool with control is no problem, always work at 200% at least to get accurate outlines.

On a mac i use a normal mouse, wired or wireless is no different, yep adjust tracking speed to suit yourself. using pen tool with control is no problem, always work at 200% at least to get accurate outlines.

Thanks for that.

I adjusted a few mouse settings in Control Panel and slowed the speed dramatically.

Huge improvement,much more control already and it doesn't seem "loose" anymore.

I'll tackle some selections later and see if other changes are needed or not.

Still curious if extra weight in the mouse makes much difference, or does using a mouse pad have any effect also?

Archived