IGNORED

Mae Sri Ruen on Beach Road

Evil Penevil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You also have the original branch on Pattaya Glang.

Doesn't matter which one you chose still better eating conditions than street food or the likes of the hole in the wall !!!

You also have the original branch on Pattaya Glang.

Where on Klang is the other branch? Cant remember Ive seen it.

On Pattaya Klang, just east of Third Rd.

Sorta behind Annas Cafe. (parking in the back)

I frequent the Jomtien branch, located next to the Outlet Stores at the Sukhumvit end of Theprasit. 

On Pattaya Klang, just east of Third Rd.

Sorta behind Annas Cafe. (parking in the back)

Been there decades, used to be open air, but went aircon a couple of years ago.

Never see many Farang in it.

I frequent the Jomtien branch, located next to the Outlet Stores at the Sukhumvit end of Theprasit. 

I thought that branch was closed ?

Been there decades, used to be open air, but went aircon a couple of years ago.

Never see many Farang in it.

I thought that branch was closed ?

The Jomtien branch did close for a renovation around last year but is reopened and doing well. 

Went to the beach road location today.

They had some new menu items since I went before.

Curried crab cakes, grilled squid, dry stir fried seafood green curry, Tom Kha gai in a flame hot pot and some more I forget.

Tried the curried crab cakes and they were great. 

Mae Sri Ruen in Thailand reminds me of Taco Bell in the US, sure it's clean, tasty and low cost, but you know it's no where near authentic. 

Mae Sri Ruen in Thailand reminds me of Taco Bell in the US, sure it's clean, tasty and low cost, but you know it's no where near authentic. 

Not really a fair comparison. 

Not really a fair comparison. 

So in your book eating at MSR and eating at authentic Thai place (not a street cart) taste the same?

To me MSR is tasty but compared to "real" Thai food it's bland.

Taco Bell is virtually all industrialized Tex-Mex food which has very little to do with traditional Mexican cooking. The items on the Taco Bell menu aren't eaten in Mexico by Mexicans. However, Mae Sri Ruen offers standard Thai dishes that are eaten daily by Thais. Most of its customers are Thai families. office workers, etc. and not tourists. Mae Sri Ruen hasn't substituted ingredients or reduced spiciness to cater to non-Thai tastes, but from its beginnings, Taco Bell's strategy has been to sell Americanized dishes with Spanish-sounding names.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

So in your book eating at MSR and eating at authentic Thai place (not a street cart) taste the same?

To me MSR is tasty but compared to "real" Thai food it's bland.

The clientele is 90% Thai at the Jomtien branch. They line up out the door on Sundays. 

I never saw a Mexican at Taco Bell. LOL

Good report as always very informative, im back out to patts next week will give it a try. Thanks mate.

Try looking in the kitchen.....[emoji895][emoji896][emoji895][emoji896]

Anyone know the locations for the BKK branches   [ middle suk area   ]    ?

This Web site lists all the MSR branches in BKK:

http://th.openrice.com/en/bangkok/restaurants?chainId=10000231&chainName=Maesriruen

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Taco Bell is virtually all industrialized Tex-Mex food which has very little to do with traditional Mexican cooking. The items on the Taco Bell menu aren't eaten in Mexico by Mexicans. However, Mae Sri Ruen offers standard Thai dishes that are eaten daily by Thais. Most of its customers are Thai families. office workers, etc. and not tourists. Mae Sri Ruen hasn't substituted ingredients or reduced spiciness to cater to non-Thai tastes, but from its beginnings, Taco Bell's strategy has been to sell Americanized dishes with Spanish-sounding names.

Evil

The clientele is 90% Thai at the Jomtien branch. They line up out the door on Sundays. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me MSR would never make it in Issan, the Issan locals would reject it in a heartbeat.  Sure it's tasty low cost and nice decor (ala USA"s Taco Bell}, but to me it's on the safe side of spicyness.  Do I eat in MSR?? Yes, do I think it's "authentic"?  Oh hell no, it's bland and lacks the various levels of flavor. 

Well, dishes that I want very spicy I order very spicy there and that's how they come. It's not an Isaan specialty restaurant. It's a more general central Thai place. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me MSR would never make it in Issan, the Issan locals would reject it in a heartbeat.

They haven't rejected KFC! I'm not sure their flavours are too complex either lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me MSR would never make it in Issan, the Issan locals would reject it in a heartbeat.  Sure it's tasty low cost and nice decor (ala USA"s Taco Bell}, but to me it's on the safe side of spicyness.  Do I eat in MSR?? Yes, do I think it's "authentic"?  Oh hell no, it's bland and lacks the various levels of flavor. 

I'm thankful the place doesn't smell like Issan food. LOL

Have you seen those Issan people can enjoy a meal while sitting next to a sewer or dumpster and not even notice?...

By the way, the 'roasted chicken' (that looks fried) is some of the tastiest chicken I've ever had. 

Bottom line: Mae Sri Ruen offers inexpensive Thai food in air-conditioned comfort. If you want to enjoy your meal in more appealing surroundings than Tin Cups and similar places but don't want to spend a lot, then it is a good choice.

Evil

Great review Evil. I appreciate the time and effort. 

One of my favorite Thaifood places! :ThumbUp6:

Plahgat

Mae Sri Reuan 4.jpg

When no money... she no give honey! 

Archived