IGNORED

Car Dealer refuse to give back money

KingoftheKickboxers

Ok so I went to a car dealership in Nong Bua Lumphu and was planning on buying a car. A Mazda 2 for 370,000 baht.

The plan was to finance the car under my Thai gf's name. They wanted a 70,000 baht deposit and I agreed to it.

They told us what paperwork was required and told us that the loan would be approved. They said we needed to give a 10,000 baht deposit on the day and once all the paperwork had been finalised, loan from bank approved, we would pay the rest of the deposit then.

So we got all the paperwork required and had her mother's bf as a guarantor. Sat down with the dealership and they did their stuff on their laptop.

Said that we could not get the car financed because she was blacklisted. The reason being she was a guarantor for a friend who purchased a motorbike 6 years ago who did not make one payment.

At the time I really wanted the car so I was thinking I would pay cash for the car and then recoup that money by financing the car. This was just a suggestion i made to my gf in front of the staff I was dealing with.

After a day or two of seeing the hassle of doing things this way with international money transfers and such I decided I would look elsewhere. My gf rang the dealership today to get the 10,000 baht deposit back and they said they could not give the money back because I said I would buy the car.

I am at a loss at what to do to get that money back and trying my best right now not to lose my shit.

Any advice or suggestions on what to do in this situation?

Well that's usually the idea of a deposit. It shows you are willing to go through with the deal. I have lost deposits before, when I have changed my mind.

10,000 baht is a fairly cheap lesson.

If it's still possible, try and finish the deal. International money transfers aren't hard. I do one before every trip to my Thai bank account.

DATY champion of Pattaya,

they said that if that if the finance is not aproved then we get the money back.

Well at least it was only 10,000 baht.

Anyway, her grandfather is an ex high ranking police officer who now works as a lawer.

Told him if he can recoup any of the money he can keep it for himself.

He got up straight away. Made phone calls to police friends, showered, dressed and drove off like a man on a mission.

Has been a learning experience.

Sorry, double post.

I have accepted the loss and lesson learnt. Totally my fault for being a newbie and letting the tgf take the lead on this one.

You're lucky if you cancel a new car contract in Queensland , the dealer can legally sue for 10% of the purchase price of the car.

Never spend any more money in Thailand that you cannot afford to walk away from :Think1:

Totally my own fault for not thinking things through and thinking I could head advice and let others take control.

With a name like "kingofthekickboxers" , could you not throw a few slaps in the dealership.???

You might not get your money back but you it would feel good

they said that if that if the finance is not aproved then we get the money back.

Well at least it was only 10,000 baht.

Anyway, her grandfather is an ex high ranking police officer who now works as a lawer.

Told him if he can recoup any of the money he can keep it for himself.

He got up straight away. Made phone calls to police friends, showered, dressed and drove off like a man on a mission.

Has been a learning experience.

Really?

Really?

Yes.

Whether her grandfather can get any of the money back will tell me how much pull he has because she tells me he's a bit of a big deal.

This is a good test of that.

Apparently he represented a red shirt, even though he does not support them, in court last week but I will not discuss any of that further in case I am breaking some forum rules in doing so.

And yes, the paperwork that was signed states, in Thai and translated to me by my gf, that we get the 10,000 deposit before the 10th of this month with no problems if we decide not to buy.

The car dealer said just put 10,000 down now, they guaranteed that we'll get approval for finance and then take it frim there. But if for some reason we can't get it financed then they will return the deposit.

We provided all paperwork within 24hours. When we couldn't get it financed, I told my gf I will try to figure something out. But did no way commit to buying the car after we couldn't get it financed. I had totally forgot about the 10,000 deposit on the second day. Third day, decided to look at other dealers and remembered the deposit and was surprised when they said they would not give the deposit back.

Anyways. What did I learn?

This country is dodgy af. And not to listen to my Thai gf.

With a name like "kingofthekickboxers" , could you not throw a few slaps in the dealership.???

You might not get your money back but you it would feel good

Right now I feel like the King of the drop kicks lol. If I do another stupid thing like this again I will change my name to that for sure.

Yes.

Whether her grandfather can get any of the money back will tell me how much pull he has because she tells me he's a bit of a big deal.

This is a good test of that.

Apparently he represented a red shirt, even though he does not support them, in court last week but I will not discuss any of that further in case I am breaking some forum rules in doing so.

And yes, the paperwork that was signed states, in Thai and translated to me by my gf, that we get the 10,000 deposit before the 10th of this month with no problems if we decide not to buy.

The car dealer said just put 10,000 down now, they guaranteed that we'll get approval for finance and then take it frim there. But if for some reason we can't get it financed then they will return the deposit.

We provided all paperwork within 24hours. When we couldn't get it financed, I told my gf I will try to figure something out. But did no way commit to buying the car after we couldn't get it financed. I had totally forgot about the 10,000 deposit on the second day. Third day, decided to look at other dealers and remembered the deposit and was surprised when they said they would not give the deposit back.

Anyways. What did I learn?

This country is dodgy af. And not to listen to my Thai gf.

I know nothing about the law here in Thailand.....

However, I would send an email to the dealer and cc the manager. That way there is written proof you requested the deposit returned before the 10th of the month.

If you choose to fight for the deposit back they can't use that clause against you.

Pattaya September 29, 2016 to February 28, 2017. Having the time of my life!!

Ongoing Trip Report #1:

Click Here...Do It!!

Ongoing Soi 6 Bar Tour:

Click Here...Do It!!

1st mistake getting a Thai GF, leave her and the 10,000thb and get away from her quickly - that 10,000thb is going to be the tip of the iceberg methinks. Popcorn time.....

Well got half back. The dealer reckons they will hold on to the other half and discount that amount if we decide to buy a car from them in future lol.

Well got half back. The dealer reckons they will hold on to the other half and discount that amount if we decide to buy a car from them in future lol.

Get it in writing 

Get it in writing

yep, got it in writing.

Dealt with the owner and his wife directly.

What an experiance. Everyone smiling and being polite when really, we all wanted to strangle each other.

Experience has taught me that deposits are something that are rarely returned in Thailand.  

Pressing cases legally would probably make the percentages go up, but Thais will typically roll the dice and see if you will push it that far.

• 4 weeks later...

OP you seem to be a little hard on yourself when you did nothing wrong.  You entered the deal in good faith , fulfilled your part of the  bargain and then got ripped off by a scumbag . 

Where you have lost the plot is thinking you will recoup your money by financing which implies the girlfriend will be making monthly payments. Better still pay cash and put it in her name and then you can come back in a years time and  tell us what an idiot you were 555.

If you are paying put the vehicle in your name.Full Stop.

Wise decision , move on . 

• 5 months later...

You missed a lesson.. you gave the old man ALL THE MONEY????? Me thinks 60/40 to you, or at worst case, 50/50... Wanna buy a car? I can't get you financed, but I will return all your deposit, less a 25% handling fee.

If it was a Mazda dealership, I'd send a letter to Mazda HQ in Thailand and in Japan.  Show then the paperwork that states you get your money back.  Let them deal with the dodgy dealer.

In the future, put the deposit on a foreign credit card.  If you have a problem, you can bypass all of this, and dispute the charge according to the banking rules of your home country.  This ALWAYS gets their attention (because the dealer would have to pay back the money, and get slapped with a fee on top).

Archived