IGNORED

Question from USA guys about power...

eholiday

Greetings all.  Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm trying to finalize the last few items to buy for my trip in 12 days. 

This will be my first trip to any country that doesn't use 110v power. 

I typically travel with a power strip or two to plug all of my devices into at the hotel.  I kmow that the ones I have currently won't work on 240v without a step down converter, however most of my devices that I've identified to take with me will work on 110v-240v.  I'd just prefer to not have to carry a bag full of outlet adapters.  Is there a reasonably priced power strip/surge protector that you can point me to that has  standard US style three prong outlets, but  can but plugged into a 240v source?  I have no issue with adapting  it at the wall, just don't want to have to  adapt the plugs for each device I plug in.

Thanks!

You'll be fine with any 2 prong plug, no adapter needed. For 3 prong plugs, just buy an adapter from  street stall. They're everywhere, 100 baht tops.

Like the others said, you shouldn't have any need for adapters in most Pattaya hotels.  I've yet to stay in a hotel that didn't have a universal Thai outlet . Though some might only be two prong compatible so always handy to have an adapter.

As far as the 120/240v power strip they seem hard to find.  Wirecutter recomended this one, but no surge protection.  Plus, I think it is a little too bulky. 

Most hotels have the universal outlets anyways. Ive seen these for sale all around Thailand as well, no need to buy them ahead of time IMO.

Thanks fellas.  I will double check the devices I'm bringing over the next few days to verify dual voltage capability.  Just want to locate a surge protector or two that travels well and works with  220vac.  Belkin doesn't have one listed on their site and Amazon shows me a bunch that either have crappy ratings or only accept non A/B plugs... I'll keep looking.  Searching  Amazon is sometimes like a box  of chocolates...  :P

This is the socket in my room seems to fit most plugs

20161106_054459.jpg

I've never stayed anywhere in Thailand that didn't have a US-compatible socket (similar to what mbamber shows). As long as your devices chargers will take 240 (which includes about every computer and phone charger), you will be fine purchasing a Thai power strip that has the same sort of sockets for a few baht and using that. The condo I have stayed in the past two years has a surge protector power strip (for TV and small light) with extra sockets that I just plug my computer and phone  chargers into and have had no problems.

Go to Tuk.com and go to the basement. They have many inexpensive surge protectors on sale there that take 2 or 3 prongs.

The wife and I were very happy for 20 years, then we met.

I've never stayed anywhere in Thailand that didn't have a US-compatible socket (similar to what mbamber shows). As long as your devices chargers will take 240 (which includes about every computer and phone charger), you will be fine purchasing a Thai power strip that has the same sort of sockets for a few baht and using that. The condo I have stayed in the past two years has a surge protector power strip (for TV and small light) with extra sockets that I just plug my computer and phone  chargers into and have had no problems.

Yes it is a good socket accepts European plugs 2 pin and the UK 3 pin plug as well.

Surge adapter with 5 sockets 450 baht in Bangkok looks good quality sure they will be cheaper in Pattaya.

I travel with one universal travel adapter which I've used at the airport(layover), but haven't had to use in Thailand.  I also carry a couple of 2 port usb power adapters. One trip I forgot the usb adapters and just went to Tukcom.  They might even carry them at 7-11's.

No adapters needed

Great info.  I'll be staying at Page 10 in Pattaya and The Continent hotel in BKK, so I'm assuming these have outlets similar to the one pictured above?

Great info. I'll be staying at Page 10 in Pattaya and The Continent hotel in BKK, so I'm assuming these have outlets similar to the one pictured above?

No adapters needed. 15+ trips since 2009. Houston, Texas. 2 prong or 3 prong works fine.

The adapter I have needed most often was a 2-prong to 3-prong. Even when voltage isn't an issue it sucks when your hotel room has only 2-prong outlets and your laptop or power strip has a 3-prong grounded outlet.

Thanks fellas.  I will double check the devices I'm bringing over the next few days to verify dual voltage capability.  Just want to locate a surge protector or two that travels well and works with  220vac.  Belkin doesn't have one listed on their site and Amazon shows me a bunch that either have crappy ratings or only accept non A/B plugs... I'll keep looking.  Searching  Amazon is sometimes like a box  of chocolates...  :P

Lazada is the Thai Amazon, they have an english version of the website; look see what is available there because it will also be at shops in Pattaya.

The one that I have had for over 4 years is not a surge protector, but is a mini 4 outlet power strip -- helpful to turn one of the Thai outlets pictured above into four (4) 3-prong outlets.

I checked on Amazon, and it is no longer available.

The only thing that I had a problem with was my hair clippers (I keep my head buzzed pretty short) -- it could NOT run on higher voltage -- but the solution was simply to leave them at home and get an 80-120 baht haircut while in Pattaya!  555

Tuk Com basement as stated above. You want to go into the big housewares shop. I would guess you will find a 3 prong power strip for 120 - 200 baht that will work 95% of US devices. Just be sure your device takes 220-240v. That picture above is a great example of what u will be plugging into.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Not really needed. All 2 star and above hotels have compatible power. Airport has compatible power. Mall has compatible power. Where else would you need it?

Better question is, what you are planning to plug in?  First trip to LoS, I brought a laptop, tablet, phone, and DLSR camera.  I had 3 or 4 different chargers.  These days, I just bring my cell phone. Unless you're a photo/film nut or you have to get work done on a laptop, leave all that stuff at home. It's more a burden to carry all that shit and worry about its safety.  You aren't going to need it anyway if you're just vacationing, and your cell phone will do for 99% of things you want to capture. 

For what it's worth most charging adapters have the voltage range they can operate with printed on them. You may need a magnifying glass to read the freakin' small print but it should list it.

Granted, they do nothing to protect against electrical surge though.

For what it's worth most charging adapters have the voltage range they can operate with printed on them. You may need a magnifying glass to read the freakin' small print but it should list it.

Take a photo on your smart phone and then enlarge it on the screen.

Take a photo on your smart phone and then enlarge it on the screen.

That's a good idea. But, not being a "photo" guy, I didn't bother worrying about the quality of the camera on my phone when I bought it. Shitty camera. Takes shitty pictures that are worse, even when enlarged, than reading it with the naked eye. I guess it would work with a higher megapixel camera.

That's a good idea. But, not being a "photo" guy, I didn't bother worrying about the quality of the camera on my phone when I bought it. Shitty camera. Takes shitty pictures that are worse, even when enlarged, than reading it with the naked eye. I guess it would work with a higher megapixel camera.

Most smart phones in the last few years have decent cameras I bought a dual sim phone for coming to Thailand it has 12 MP camera cost £140. After 57 years of use the eyes are not as good as they used to be and they are making the small print smaller.

Archived