IGNORED

Places to eat on the Darkside

Wolf Cat

I've been meaning to start a thread on places to eat on the DS but never got around to it until today.

Today driving on Khao Noi just up the hill from La Rouge I saw some construction going on for "New York Pizza" , I stopped in and spoke with some guys, it's from the same owner as NY Pizza on 3rd Rd, They said it will be opening on the 10th of this month, but it seems like there's still a lot of work needed,  (I took some photos but when I plugged my iphone into my computer to download them the cheap ass Chinese replacement charger started smoking...555)

Over the years, I've eaten at many places on the DS and will post a review on some of them shortly, with photos, prices, menu selection, etc. 

A few places I'll be posting on soon are Lucky restaurant on SSCC near La Guniette bar, Blue Moose on Soi 9 just off Khao Noi, Fabrice bar, 

Please feel free to mention the places you've eaten over on the DS and a quick review.

Cheers, 

Joe

One of the better places is Suggestions . Belgian owner that is a great cook . 

They do a very good value 3 course lunch menu every day between 11am and 5pm for only 295Bht . 

Closed on Monday . 

Pepper and Salt on Soi Kao Talo . Indonesian , Thai , Dutch and international food . 

Good quality , fair prices . 

For a quick lunch , Holland Tulip at Soi Siam Country . 

Thai , German , Dutch food . 

Only breakfast and (late) lunch , closed after 6pm . 

They also have their own bread backery and sell it from out of the restaurant . 

Good Indian food , Fisherman down by Mabrachan lake . 

Don't forget insect repellant as it's close to the water and an open restaurant . 

NY Pizza has lots of growing to do..Super Popular thus far but need to Expand to Hua Hin--Bkk--Chiang Mai--Phuket...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Pepper and Salt on Soi Kao Noi . Indonesian , Thai , Dutch and international food . 

Good quality , fair prices . 

I've heard good things about the Salt & Pepper at the top of Khao Talo just past Bird Cage & Happy Moon, is this what you mean?.

-Honey Pot- Soi Nernplubwan, has a decent breakfast for 99 ThB.

Big Leo : 84 ThB.

I am sometimes a Cheap Charlie.

-Honey Pot- Soi Nernplubwan, has a decent breakfast for 99 ThB.

Big Leo : 84 ThB.

I am sometimes a Cheap Charlie

Very few two week millionaires on the DS...555

Arroy Restaurant near Greenway Driving Range Rt Side...Best Buffet in town especially Sunday..Ribs--Steak and Chicken all in for 295 THB

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

On Kao Noi the Troppicana Resturant do quite resonable daily specials, Location - it is just past the Black Sheep Bar and on other side right hand side of the road from the Railway Road. I would also recommend for Sunday Roast the Welcome Inn, on same road but on the left before the Troppicana.  For a more upmarket setting for that special ocassion  try Murphy's Irish Bar opposite the Starlite on the bend after Soi 9 on the left. Food OK and setting good.

Suggestions was always my go to place - great food, owner a really nice guy and the food is well priced and top drawer. He was the chef at Arroi originally, and I must say that when he left arroi turned to shit. Anyway, Suggestions for evening or lunch. 

Arround the lake...

Shenanigans on the Lake is very good as well - never had a bad un in there. 

Lailas Chippy  on the lake - go on Tuesday or wednesday and its good (oil change day) but the rest of the time not so good. Had a real hard on for the blokes wife for a while which was probably why I went in there so much. 

Mediterrean Place - used to really love it there but had two massive hits of food poisoning from there, and the second was the full on fever and shakes for 2 days so never go back there now having given them the benefit of the doubt the first time.

Local food - take the road up to Siam Country Club golf course (so 7/11, head straight on and not go around the lake). 1 KM up there on the left is a shack that has great local food - their moo tod is to die for.

Pumpois Grill - best burger in town. It is tremendous. 

I've heard good things about the Salt & Pepper at the top of Khao Talo just past Bird Cage & Happy Moon, is this what you mean?.

That's the one , i mixed a few sois up ...  :WinkGrin1: . 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the new Japanese place called Wasabi on Ner Plab Wan near Stumble In and Brass Monkey?

I spoke with one guy who ate there and he said the portions are small and the sushi not so fresh.

Anyone tried the new Japanese place called Wasabi on Ner Plab Wan near Stumble In and Brass Monkey?

I spoke with one guy who ate there and he said the portions are small and the sushi no so fresh.

Great deal than for 555Bht a person ... i live close by but hardly ever see customers . 

Would be doing ok if they had a 299Bht buffet but 555Bht a person isn't going to work 

on the darkside . 

• 4 weeks later...

Terracotta on SSCC just before the lake, middle of new hiway construction site. Good pizza, pasta, breakfasts and Thai food. Good selection of ice cream. Reasonable price, nice people that work there and manage the place.

I have not tried everything on the menu yet, sticking to the pizzas and pastas.

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Chicago so when I come to Patts 3 weeks at a time I do start to miss some good pizza. Dont get me wrong, I love Thai food but still crave some real good pizza. Pizza Company is about the best I can find. It seems like all the pizza I find dont use ground italian sausage and it drives me nuts. So far the best pizza I found in Thailand is at the Funky Monkey on Koh Samet of all places! My TG sent me a picture of a Pizza Hut ad and said have special. Good pizza or not. 5555. I told her in the USA Pizza Hut is garbage. 5555. I can make some awsome Chicago pizza. I would start a take out pizza place if the demand was there for it, but it can be a little expensive to make and I just dont think people in Thailand are willing to pay for good pizza. Especially Thais!

I am from Chicago so when I come to Patts 3 weeks at a time I do start to miss some good pizza. Dont get me wrong, I love Thai food but still crave some real good pizza. Pizza Company is about the best I can find. It seems like all the pizza I find dont use ground italian sausage and it drives me nuts. So far the best pizza I found in Thailand is at the Funky Monkey on Koh Samet of all places! My TG sent me a picture of a Pizza Hut ad and said have special. Good pizza or not. 5555. I told her in the USA Pizza Hut is garbage. 5555. I can make some awsome Chicago pizza. I would start a take out pizza place if the demand was there for it, but it can be a little expensive to make and I just dont think people in Thailand are willing to pay for good pizza. Especially Thais!

Try the pizza from Livv on Khao Talo, taste great, just like the Italian place near my old home in Los Angeles.

If you want a pizza go to a real Italian place ... 1 inch of dough and 2 inches of cheese is not a pizza ...  :Finger5:

• 3 weeks later...

Good pizza on the DS is also at Ticino if you like thin crust.

Agree, and good food all round at Ticino.

For what its worth, my top list

1/ Pepper & Salt.

2. De Marco.

3/ Ticino.

For pub grub, Tropicals and Murphys

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Have to agree that Kung and Pinkeys are excellent value and always great service and food.Their Sunday lunches are excellent. 

Never really had a favourite place as tend to keep trying different ones though I have been going to The Welcome Inn on Khao Noi quite a bit recently.

I do like Kung & Pinkys as well though not been for a 2/3 months one reason being that the specials they offer there were just smaller versions of the main meals so, though cheaper than usual, not enough on the plate for my liking.

Archived