Pen-fifteen

Hotel Review - Chanthasom Guest House, Vientiane, Laos

Pen-fifteen

It's time!

The 30-day tourist visa is starting to get stale

I can't get the retirement visa while I'm in Thailand on a tourist visa, I need a non-O so that I can convert to a retirement visa when I return from the inevitable [and dreaded] visa run.

Vientiane is the obvious choice.

I look for a hotel using Agoda

I lived in Thailand from 1995 to 1999 and my memories of Vientiane [while I did visa runs] at that time tell me that if I want to use my Thai SIM cards in the phones and Wi-fi portable hotspot, I need to have a place that is right on the river so that the wireless signal from Thailand has a better chance of connecting.

Agoda tells me that Chanthasom Guest House is riverfront, in the right area, and at a good price.

I make the reservation, travel and check in.

The cost for 2 nights is THB1374

The place is rated as 2-star, so I don't expect anything flash, and I'm not disappointed.

For a start, there is air and a fan, what looks to be bigger than a queen-size bed [didn't bring the tape measure, sorry], and a decent bathroom with a hot-water unit.  Decent sit-down toilet too, not a squat-hole.  The room is not large, but it is adequate; there's a TV, a small bar-fridge a wardrobe, a vanity unit with stool, a table, and a bamboo chair.

On the downside, the room has south-facing, wide and full-height windows which, at this time of year, allow too much sunshine into the room and the air-con struggles to keep the room down to 24-25 degrees C.

I don't really mind, I just close the curtains, sit in the gloom, and ignore the view of the river that has been lost.  In the [approximately] 17 years since I was last in Vientiane, things have greatly changed.

My memory tells me that the road where the Chanthasom Guest house is located was river frontage, and there was not any enormous edifice between it and the river. Now there is an enormous edifice.

The edifice, viewed from the room.  Note the power and other cables at this level

WP_20161101_15_27_39_Pro.jpg

More pics of the room [please ignore the presence of my crap in the room]

T1 more pics.jpg

T2.jpg

I'll have to abandon this report here, wifi reception is failing my photo uploads.

I'll try to get the rest of this completed tomorrow after I make my visa application.

GBCOMAN

Nice to know about Vientiane. Thanks for sharing the details about the hotel

Is it Girl friendly?

Waiting for more updates from you Pal.

Tarl

Nice review thanks. Seems hard to find good accommodation there.

jerry

In Vientiane at the moment and agree with Tarl , very hard to find a decent hotel at a normal price . 

Been in probably a dozen hotels here over the years and most were simply shite . Very small , not 

clean , rock hard beds , etc . 

Bit strange as on the other side of the river in Udon you have loads of beautiful hotels for not even 

500Bht . 

This time booked into Khampian hotel , just a 5 minute walk off the river , 10 minutes to BPY . 

Best hotel i have found for around a 1000Bht . Good size room , clean bathroom , fridge , safe ,

good bed , elevator and breakfast included . 

DSC08679-9.JPG

They only had a twin but it's 2 queensize beds . 

DSC08680-9.JPG

Nice big balcony . 

DSC08683-9.JPG

Bathroom , good size and clean . 

DSC08684-9.JPG

DSC08685-9.JPG

View from the balcony at night . 

DSC08687-9.JPG

Quiet street . 

DSC08688-9.JPG

Good quality fittings . 

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit but as i'm there now i thought why not help people out . 

P.s ... good wifi here as well ... 555 . 

Pen-fifteen

Nice to know about Vientiane. Thanks for sharing the details about the hotel

Is it Girl friendly?

Waiting for more updates from you Pal.

Girl friendly in Lao? The law forbids it!

But maybe you can book a room for 2 bodies and tell them she's your wife.

See rule number 10, photo of what's stuck on the wardrobe door

rule 10.jpg

I've jest hadda shour

and the water's hot enough

But there's no place to plant my bottle of shampoo or my cake of soap

The toilet cistern'll have to do

I'm not worried about bringing any woman to the room here in a Lao hotel, this is the lady that is waiting for me to return to her in 3 days...

5054411058639(1).jpg

Pen-fifteen

In Vientiane at the moment and agree with Tarl , very hard to find a decent hotel at a normal price . 

Been in probably a dozen hotels here over the years and most were simply shite . Very small , not 

clean , rock hard beds , etc . 

Bit strange as on the other side of the river in Udon you have loads of beautiful hotels for not even 

500Bht . 

This time booked into Khampian hotel , just a 5 minute walk off the river , 10 minutes to BPY . 

Best hotel i have found for around a 1000Bht . Good size room , clean bathroom , fridge , safe ,

good bed , elevator and breakfast included . 

attachicon.gifDSC08679-9.JPG

They only had a twin but it's 2 queensize beds . 

attachicon.gifDSC08680-9.JPG

Nice big balcony . 

attachicon.gifDSC08683-9.JPG

Bathroom , good size and clean . 

attachicon.gifDSC08684-9.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC08685-9.JPG

View from the balcony at night . 

attachicon.gifDSC08687-9.JPG

Quiet street . 

attachicon.gifDSC08688-9.JPG

Good quality fittings . 

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit but as i'm there now i thought why not help people out . 

P.s ... good wifi here as well ... 555 . 

You're not hijacking "my thread", you're augmenting it

<big smile>

It's all here to help anyone who reads it

Pen-fifteen

Having slept the night, I can say that the bed is OK, not "great", and the little bit of traffic noise is not a problem

WP_20161101_15_31_23_Pro.jpg

I generally inspect the door and windows of wherever I stay, looking for security flaws.  In this room, the door is locked with a simple push-in-the-button type of lock.  Basic security, but it won't keep a determined intruder out.  I looked at the windows, and that worried me a bit.

WP_20161102_06_21_34_Pro.jpg

It's a sliding window setup, and it looked as though someone has tampered with it, allowing the 2 sliders, when locked together, to be slid to one side allowing access to the room through the window.  I re-engaged the security mechanism by derailing the left slider and bringing it back past the stopper, then relocating it back onto its rail.

I have to admit that if that had been done in an attempt to facilitate illegal entry into the room, the entry would be in clear view of anyone on the road.  So maybe I'm paranoid?

I have another photo to put up, but it keeps getting skipped [timed out?].  I'll try again later.

GBCOMAN

Hello Pen, Thanks for the update. Hope you will enjoy without your lady.

Cheers mate.