IGNORED

Transfer money to a Thai Bank Account

blue1878

In 2008 I opened a Thai Bank account.  So before every trip to Thailand I transfer my holiday money from the UK to my Thai bank account.  And whilst I am in Pattaya/Thailand I use a thai ATM to get my spending money.

I usually use Currencies Direct to transfer my money to Thailand.

And I like to think I get a good rate

I was wondering if other addicts transfer there holiday money to a Thai bank and use an online company.  One which might even be better than Currencies Direct 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I send sterling from my HSBC account, they charge me £4 that's it and my Thai bank (SCB) convert at a local rate which I've always been happy with.

I do this using Internet banking after I've arrived if I need additional funds to the cash I travel with.

I send sterling from my HSBC account, they charge me £4 that's it and my Thai bank (SCB) convert at a local rate which I've always been happy with.

I do this using Internet banking after I've arrived if I need additional funds to the cash I travel with.

Yep 2nd that one. I'm bewildered that so many use these "transfer companies" where the bottom line that lands in your Thai account is less 100% of the times.

I looked into several options, tried at least one alternative, and ended up just sticking to sending from my Lloyds bank account.

Just easier in the end. I send in Sterling & let Krung Thai change it into baht.

I could possibly be slightly better off with an alternative but I just can't be bothered dealing with it.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Rate is ok , though cash still gives you the best rate . 

That's a good rate from HSBC.

Lloyds charge £9.50.

Santander- £25.00. Ouch!

£25 is high for Santander but they are giving 1.5% interest on first 20k, was 3%. I'm with Santander, rather than change banks and DDs, may be better to take the £25 hit but just transfer a larger amount.

I bank with the halifax but they always charged me for sending my money to my thai bank account.  And I noticed when the money arrived in my thai bank account it wasnt always a good exchange rate.  And this is why I started using currencies direct

i have a standing order for telex transfer every 28 days from mybank in west australis[bankwest]

they send it on a monday and it is usually in my account the same day[kasikorn] been doing this since 1999 and have never had a problem .this is my superanuation pension

every now and then i contact them in perth and get it increased according to my pension increases they charge me aud35 every month but it is worth it otherwise my gov super can send it by cheque in usd but then there is a 45 day delay getting cheque cleared

make sure you have it sent in aud as you get a better rate in thailand than overseas rate

any holes a goal

Just sent money from my Aussie ANZ online account to my Bangkok Bank account, and the transfer charge was $18.....

Yes HSBC set a standard rate 4 GBP on any amount I have an HSBC account and find it very quick 4 hours last month .

Point to note I was rushing one time and forgot to list send GBP and got a spanking on the exchange rate.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

I just used transferwise which is a third party service made by the guys who did skype.  i looked around for a few hours online and found them.  it was a really high conversion rate and the fee was about $10 USD but the transfer takes a week to go through.  everything else i saw i either hadn't heard of or the fees were high and rate was low. 

I just used transferwise which is a third party service made by the guys who did skype. i looked around for a few hours online and found them. it was a really high conversion rate and the fee was about $10 USD but the transfer takes a week to go through. everything else i saw i either hadn't heard of or the fees were high and rate was low.

What rate did you get on what day?

The biggest factor will be the differemce between the market rate and the exchange rate you get. Some companies hide their fess in a lower exchange rate.

FYI Im Canadian.

While researching for a bank account I could use for my travelling withdrawls I found the following:

Includimg the difference in exchange, atm fees, currency exchange fees, etc some banks were as high as 5.5℅ difference between market rate and what I received in cash.

I settled on an account that has all in cost of 1.5% per 30,000 baht withdrawal.

I would prefer to get better then that but that was the best option I found. I didnt look into thai bank accounts very much.

My credit card though is excellent. Total fees are only 0.3%.

Pattaya September 29, 2016 to February 28, 2017. Having the time of my life!!

Ongoing Trip Report #1:

Click Here...Do It!!

Ongoing Soi 6 Bar Tour:

Click Here...Do It!!

Wouldn't it be better just to withdraw the money from your bank at home and then bring it over with you. I then exchange it here at the best rate I can find and then deposit it into my Kasikorn account.

always use world remit,very good transfer rate ,your told what youll get in your thai account when you send

not a massive difference either to changing cash at tt exchange

cost to do this $4.99 oz for whatever amount you transfer

Wouldn't it be better just to withdraw the money from your bank at home and then bring it over with you. I then exchange it here at the best rate I can find and then deposit it into my Kasikorn account.

Personally, I prefer not to travel with large sums of cash.

Pattaya September 29, 2016 to February 28, 2017. Having the time of my life!!

Ongoing Trip Report #1:

Click Here...Do It!!

Ongoing Soi 6 Bar Tour:

Click Here...Do It!!

It's something I wouldnt like to do

I just fancy traveling a long distance with a lot of money

I use Currencies Direct to transfer my holiday money between my UK bank account and my thai bank account

About 9 days ago they were showing about 41.8 baht to the UK pound.

Last week it started to ever sl slowly rise particularly when the judges said the the UK government had to decide about Brexit.  And over the weekend Currencies direct were showing 43.1 baht to the pound.  Which is good so I hung on and hoped it would rise slightly higher today.

Anyway I have just taked a look at Currencies Direct website and the pound is slowly dropping down again.  Its showing 42.6639 baht to the pound.  So later today I might just transfer my spending money to Thailand.  Rather than wait to see if it goes back up

I use Currencies Direct to transfer my holiday money between my UK bank account and my thai bank account

About 9 days ago they were showing about 41.8 baht to the UK pound.

Last week it started to ever sl slowly rise particularly when the judges said the the UK government had to decide about Brexit. And over the weekend Currencies direct were showing 43.1 baht to the pound. Which is good so I hung on and hoped it would rise slightly higher today.

Anyway I have just taked a look at Currencies Direct website and the pound is slowly dropping down again. Its showing 42.6639 baht to the pound. So later today I might just transfer my spending money to Thailand. Rather than wait to see if it goes back up

Its heading down again, 43.15 on Buakhao this afternoon

Its heading down again, 43.15 on Buakhao this afternoon

I think I best transfer my money today in case it goes down any further

I've been hanging on before transferring money over for my December trip as well.

I'm going to wait until after the US Election on the off chance Trump wins.

Reckon that will cause the dollar to fall and, hopefully the baht against the £.

I'll probably end up sorry I waited though. I usually get financial stuff wrong.

:-(

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Thats a 

always use world remit,very good transfer rate ,your told what youll get in your thai account when you send

not a massive difference either to changing cash at tt exchange

cost to do this $4.99 oz for whatever amount you transfer

good deal

as last when in pattaya when i used my Aussie card  i think was 10 S to withdraw money.. from my account/bank

I've been hanging on before transferring money over for my December trip as well.

I'm going to wait until after the US Election on the off chance Trump wins.

Reckon that will cause the dollar to fall and, hopefully the baht against the £.

I'll probably end up sorry I waited though. I usually get financial stuff wrong.

:-(

davidge I'm the same as you I've been hanging on before transferring money over for my December trip

Currencies direct are now showing 42.7672 baht to the pound.  Which is fractionally better than the last time I checked

I was thinking of transferring my money today but it might be worth waiting 24/48 hours because the US election is only tomorrow.  And see what happens

Archived