IGNORED

rice price on it´s lowest rate since 10 years-farmers loose land

perdido

you can see many signs saying "for sale" around the countryside. to stop loosing money and paying back their credits farmers in Chai Nat sell their rice fields. the price for 1 ton is 6000 THB now. To avoid loss farmers have to sell for at least 8000 THB. So many people are forced to give away their property. Maybe poverty will rise in Thailand.

post-156190-0-22999100-1477730644.png

My understanding is that the sign is an offer to sell 13 Rai (12 acres?) at 3 million baht (70g of my new £) about the same price as German farm land?

My rubbish Thai does not get the 36, is it a lease?

As to who gets the money, coop, families or bank/ lenders who knows.

Thailand is moving from agricultural to industrial guess 4 x as fast as we did, was it poverty or opportunity that emptied the German countryside?

Agricultural produce has always been up and down, try buying or selling a rubber farm in 2012 or 2016, get it wrong way round is a world of pain.

Without a welfare state- and we can guess where that is leading to in rich Europe, our Pattaya can at least be a 'final resort' / safety valve, and that  I think may save it.

Nobody knows what will arise now. People are desperate and I think the political situation could be improved. I have heard that gov said they won't to improve the situation of the farmers, but how will they do it? Politics and economics have never been the same. meanwhile people lose the property. I hope that there are clouds with a silver lining, but the army gov has to do it´s homework. Economics can´t be ordered.

I was watching a business channel yesterday and heard something interesting.  The guy said one third of all the water in the world is used to grow rice.   He said they are trying to teach the Chinese the dont need to flood it, said if the jump on the ground and they can see their footprint, then it has enough water to grow

A post close to my heart, i have 13 rye of land which i bought 12 years ago...my first yield was 60 bags and i sold for 13 baht a  kilo...we are now down to 11 baht...rocket science says...thai farmers are getting done over ..due to a total lack of education...and its going to stay like that.

It's not just rice; the price of cassava (used to make noodle flour and cattle feed) is don from 4 Baht/Kgm last year to 1 baht/Kgm this year.

A post close to my heart, i have 13 rye of land which i bought 12 years ago...my first yield was 60 bags and i sold for 13 baht a  kilo...we are now down to 11 baht...rocket science says...thai farmers are getting done over ..due to a total lack of education...and its going to stay like that.

I'm hearing as low as 5 baht/kilo......

It's not just rice; the price of cassava (used to make noodle flour and cattle feed) is don from 4 Baht/Kgm last year to 1 baht/Kgm this year.

That is deplorable!

Prayuth was saying something on the news that I couldn't quite catch....

....he was talking about a price of 30,000 baht per ton of rice.

That seems very high! But if it is possible, the farmers will be way better off.

They do deserve it!

I'm hearing as low as 5 baht/kilo......

That is deplorable!

Yes, it is... But oth maybe it will bring more cheap farm fresh girls to Pattaya. Some guys on here seem to like it that way because they are always complaining about prices, quality and attitude.

Yes, it is... But oth maybe it will bring more cheap farm fresh girls to Pattaya. Some guys on here seem to like it that way because they are always complaining about prices, quality and attitude.

One can only hope so :)

• 1 month later...

Also, to mine, I purchased about 14 rye of rice land about 4 years ago and it is in a choice location as far as water and land is concerned and so far have made B20,000 on it.  My lady tells me that she has a great amount of rice she is keeping to sell when the price rises.  Does not look good.  You are so right about the Thai farmers, those in my area are in bad shape.

I think that also the Thai Baht being so strong at the moment doesnt do any favours for their exports

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

yep , thai bath is too strong , there is no absolute need of thai rice , the rice is more and more exported by cambodia and vietnam wich is cheaper and of good quality . myanmar is arriving .

seems that thai government has no clue about that strong bath  .   it should impact thai industry too .

yep , thai bath is too strong , there is no absolute need of thai rice , the rice is more and more exported by cambodia and vietnam wich is cheaper and of good quality . myanmar is arriving .

seems that thai government has no clue about that strong bath-problem  .   it should impact thai industry too .

I was watching a business channel yesterday and heard something interesting. The guy said one third of all the water in the world is used to grow rice. He said they are trying to teach the Chinese the dont need to flood it, said if the jump on the ground and they can see their footprint, then it has enough water to grow

Think it is estimated as one third of the worlds irrigation water but still incredible.

Cassava herec was 2 baht a kilo last year and this year 1 baht. Everyone around Udon lost money on it.

Archived