IGNORED

Bad At Any Price

Evil Penevil

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:02, semi-retired member said:

But salmonella takes 10-12 hours to hit you, if I remember aright from my Food-Hygiene course many years ago, so perhaps it was from something you ate earlier, and was just dammed-up waiting for the most-inconvenient moment to let go ? :unsure:

Now then, back to the Indian-beef-curry thread  ...  :rolleyes:

Who said it was salmonella?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, b0b said:

Who said it was salmonella?

I forget.....but more likely E.coli of course.

On 02/11/2017 at 00:51, Edge said:

I forget.....but more likely E.coli of course.

Which takes 1-4 days to develop ?  Thus unlikely, though not impossible,  to have been the meal at Sizzler which had caused it, which is all I was trying to say.

6 minutes ago, semi-retired member said:

Which takes 1-4 days to develop ?  Thus unlikely, though not impossible,  to have been the meal at Sizzler which had caused it, which is all I was trying to say.

Some strains take a day.

Yes, but someone was saying they'd eaten at Sizzler, then got diarrhea almost-immediately, I'm just saying that would probably have been something eaten earlier-on, finally kicking-in.

For example I once had to deal with an outbreak of gastro-enteritis, which had been caught elsewhere some 12-hours earlier, but spread to half of the bus-tour group staying-with-us before it was over.  An absolute nightmare, for all concerned !

But our local environmental-health officer, who we of course had notified, decided that it wasn't down to the meal we'd served them on-arrival, with the first cases occurring an hour-or-two later.

"Food poisoning" is a very general term that covers a lot of territory.  It should mean foodborne illnesses that result from eating spoiled, contaminated or toxic food.  True food poisoning  is caused by viruses, bacteria, parasites or toxic chemicals. 

However, in everyday usage, many people will blame an "upset stomach" on food poisoning even though the cause of their discomfort is not always a foodborne illness.  Just eating unfamiliar food can cause stomach cramps or diarrhea in some people, especially if it is washed down with beer or other alcohol.  

Depending on the type and source of the infection, a foodborne illness can take anywhere from less an hour to a month or more to manifest itself.  It's understandable people would blame their most recent meal for diarrhea, but that's often not the case.  We have to be careful of blaming food poisoning from a recently ingested meal as the reason for an upset stomach.  It may not be the real cause at all.

Evil

23a.jpg.ece7cae8506f3536da0d45fd7fa12528.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I'm pretty sure most "delicate stomachs" come from bad food prep habits. Chopping raw meat and veg with the same knife on the same chopping board for the 'nth time that day, then wiping them down with the damp rag that has sat on the counter for the last several hours seems to be an obvious example of the cause of this type of thing.

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

"Food poisoning" is a very general term that covers a lot of territory.  It should mean foodborne illnesses that result from eating spoiled, contaminated or toxic food.  True food poisoning  is caused by viruses, bacteria, parasites or toxic chemicals. 

However, in everyday usage, many people will blame an "upset stomach" on food poisoning even though the cause of their discomfort is not always a foodborne illness.  Just eating unfamiliar food can cause stomach cramps or diarrhea in some people, especially if it is washed down with beer or other alcohol.  

Depending on the type and source of the infection, a foodborne illness can take anywhere from less an hour to a month or more to manifest itself.  It's understandable people would blame their most recent meal for diarrhea, but that's often not the case.  We have to be careful of blaming food poisoning from a recently ingested meal as the reason for an upset stomach.  It may not be the real cause at all.

Evil

23a.jpg.ece7cae8506f3536da0d45fd7fa12528.jpg

Very well stated....  Have to laugh when the guy who was drinking all night , eats a girl's ass on Soi 6 , and then has a meal at Mc Donalds blames the food.  

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

I ate one of those tiny bbq chicken sticks on WS (10 baht?). It was cooked on the outside and raw in the middle. 30 mins later my tummy felt funny. Dashed to the toilets in Lucifer, then thought it best to go home. Walked out onto WS and was sick in the road.

looked like a total pisshead puking up. Very embarrassing!

I always watch them cook my bbq sticks and when they try to hand them over I get them to put them back on for a few more minutes to make sure they are properly cooked.

Better safe than puking in the gutter!

38 minutes ago, tt2008 said:

I always watch them cook my bbq sticks and when they try to hand them over I get them to put them back on for a few more minutes to make sure they are properly cooked.

Yeh lesson learned. If i'm peckish on a night out now, i go to 7-11 and get one of those yoghurt drinks. Play it safe now.

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

. Walked out onto WS and was sick in the road.

looked like a total pisshead puking up. Very embarrassing!

It's pretty serious when you puke that soon after eating something.   You should go to a doctor or the hospital, especially if you puke again after drinking water or another Liquid.  Puking is much more a sign of something really bad than is diarrhea.  Bloody poop is probably the worst symptom of all.

42 minutes ago, tt2008 said:

Yup, undercooked chicken and raw vegetables are common sources of food poisoning.  Asian food is normally cooked at temperatures high enough to kill bacteria and viruses, but BBQ is problematic.   You're right in making sure it is very well cooked.

I don't know if it is common in Thailand, but in China, human feces (nightsoil) are often used to fertilize vegetables.  Even if they are thoroughly rinsed, leafy vegetables can easily harbor bad stuff.  In China, skip the raw salads.

Evil

23a.jpg.74673edd60029083094fe834d05a2096.jpg

3 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

It's pretty serious when you puke that soon after eating something.   You should go to a doctor or the hospital, especially if you puke again after drinking water or another liquid.  Puking is much more a sign of something really bad than is diarrhea.  Bloody poop is probably the worst symptom of all.

Sick, just the once. Almost like my body new there was a problem and wanted shut of it as quick as possible. It sure did it efficiently :wacko:

20 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

1/  Bloody poop is probably the worst symptom of all.

2/  in China, human feces (nightsoil) are often used to fertilize vegetables.  Even if they are thoroughly rinsed, leafy vegetables can easily harbor bad stuff.  In China, skip the raw salads.

Evil

1/ I have been told by doctors that black poop is a sign that there is blood in your poop, you can also simply get red blood coming out of your bum.

2/ I worked in China for a while, in my experience, their levels of hygiene and freshness of food at most of the restaurants is not so great. I ended up wandering around the markets in my area, and then cooking my own food.

I have only had food poisoning once in Thailand and that was from a foreign owned bar/restaurant. I have never had a problem with the food carts.

2 hours ago, tt2008 said:

Agreed.

I purchased some nice barbecue chicken and the vendor made it extra juicy by dipping it back into the marinade with the raw chicken before serving me.

WTF? Put that shit back on The Grill (you fucking moron)

6 hours ago, GorGuy said:

1/ I have been told by doctors that black poop is a sign that there is blood in your poop, you can also simply get red blood coming out of your bum.

Correct, blood from the digestive system in stool looks like coffee grounds, not blood.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I guess I've been lucky, but I have never gotten food poisoning from a restaurant meal in Pattaya.  Doctors have told me I have a strong immune system and that is probably the main reason.

But a couple of things to note:  

1) A lot of people are sensitive to different foods and it's not always food poisoning that makes them sick.  It can be a type of food allergy that they aren't even aware they have.  When traveling abroad, they may consume an ingredient they've never had before and they mistake the allergic reaction for food poisoning.

2) You can get food poisoning in any type of restaurant.  Noma in Copenhagen, at the time rated the best restaurant in the world, had 63 diners fall sick from food poisoning in 2013.  The U.K.'s Fat Duck had the same thing happen in 2009.  A street food vendor in Pattaya can follow good food hygiene practices, while a top restaurant can fall short. 

3) You are most at risk from foods which have been un-refrigerated for two hours or more.  Be very careful with buffets, especially breakfast buffets. Avoid raw, unprocessed food (seafood, meat, vegetables and even fruit) if you're susceptible to stomach problems.  One advantage which Asian food has is that it is usually cooked at temperatures (fried, flambeed or boiled) high enough to kill bacteria and viruses.  But if the food item is left un-refrigerated for hours, that advantage is lost.

4) Eat a lot of fiber so you have regular bowel movements.  Some pathogens you consume can be eliminated from the body before they have a chance to affect you seriously.

Evil

23a.jpg.074537722b6c42c0a2c9f402db29525d.jpg

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 05:28, Evil Penevil said:

It's pretty serious when you puke that soon after eating something.   You should go to a doctor or the hospital, especially if you puke again after drinking water or another liquid.  Puking is much more a sign of something really bad than is diarrhea.  Bloody poop is probably the worst symptom of all.

Yup, undercooked chicken and raw vegetables are common sources of food poisoning.  Asian food is normally cooked at temperatures high enough to kill bacteria and viruses, but BBQ is problematic.   You're right in making sure it is very well cooked.

I don't know if it is common in Thailand, but in China, human feces (nightsoil) are often used to fertilize vegetables.  Even if they are thoroughly rinsed, leafy vegetables can easily harbor bad stuff.  In China, skip the raw salads.

Evil

23a.jpg.74673edd60029083094fe834d05a2096.jpg

Your faeces can also become red from eating beetroot or red pitaya.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

2 hours ago, starfucks said:

Your faeces can also become red from eating beetroot or red pitaya.

Also a very eager and horny ladyboy .

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2017 at 03:53, Evil Penevil said:

4) Eat a lot of fiber so you have regular bowel movements.  Some pathogens you consume can be eliminated from the body before they have a chance to affect you seriously.

Yes this definitely helps.  The problem I find in Thailand and the Philippines is that they don't have as many high fiber foods in their cuisine, or at least the ones I tend to eat.  Any advice on how you go about getting more fiber in your diet over there?  Thanks

27 minutes ago, superdaws said:

Yes this definitely helps.  The problem I find in Thailand and the Philippines is that they don't have as many high fiber foods in their cuisine, or at least the ones I tend to eat.  Any advice on how you go about getting more fiber in your diet over there?  Thanks

Mangoes has a high fiber content.  Loaded with vitamins too, it is a superfood.

I love them in the Philippines but I haven't seen good ones in Thailand.  Not like the perfect golden ones in the PI.  But yes Mango are awesome, best fruit ever.

I have noodle soup which comes with veg but i add loads also. I also ask them to add vegetables with dishes. Porridge and Muesli also widely available. Chillies help too

I love Indian food, but I have found that 80-90% are not to my liking in pattaya  (British style). Especially the restaurant halfway up soi honey

2 hours ago, superdaws said:

I love them in the Philippines but I haven't seen good ones in Thailand.  Not like the perfect golden ones in the PI.  But yes Mango are awesome, best fruit ever.

The best mangoes I have ever had were in Southern India. Much better than both the PI and Thai varieties, which I like as well. Only problem is that unlike in Thailand and the PI, they are a seasonal crop in India. A bumper load in April and then not much else. You can see camels pulling large wagons of them down the streets of Hyderabad that time of year. At least you could in 2004.

Archived