Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Is a 40 minute layover too short?

Dannn

My EVA Air flight from USA has a 1 hour 10 min layover in Taipei, and a 40 min layover in Taipei on my journey home.

Is this too risky? I'll probably just bring a carry-on, but not being a seasoned traveler I wonder if ill find myself in trouble with time.

My EVA Air flight from USA has a 1 hour 10 min layover in Taipei, and a 40 min layover in Taipei on my journey home.

Is this too risky? I'll probably just bring a carry-on, but not being a seasoned traveler I wonder if ill find myself in trouble with time.

Did you book your flights as one trip?

You'll be ok, afaik the airport isn't absolutely massive.  You shouldn't even have to run, just follow the process - where you might get into trouble is if your flight is delayed.

B

Full Time Reprobate

Part Time Buffalo Rider

If they allow you to book it, then go for it.

23 24 25 26 27 28 years old farang & living in Pattaya north Thailand. :Finger4:

And I ride Kawasaki KSR only!

If all booked thru EVA Air on the same plane, you have a good chance. Problems usually arise when the plane departs late and then your 40 minutes could turn into 5 minutes and your bag won't follow you (if you make the next flight). I always leave a minimum of 1.5 hours between flights. Best to closely check your ticketing and flights to ensure it's a continuing flight heading back to the States.

If I need to go thru Security or Immigration or both (such as Shanghai), then I'd leave about 5 or 6 hours between flights. :)

Due to delay I have had shorter layovers and was lucky enough to have my bags on the same plane.

If I need to go thru Security or Immigration or both (such as Shanghai), then I'd leave about 5 or 6 hours between flights. :)

You must just love airports!

Seriously, 5-6 hours is way longer than necessary at any airport, can you honestly say you've ever got on a plane saying "geez I'm lucky that layover wasn't only four and a half hours otherwise I wouldn't have made my connection"?

You must just love airports!

Seriously, 5-6 hours is way longer than necessary at any airport, can you honestly say you've ever got on a plane saying "geez I'm lucky that layover wasn't only four and a half hours otherwise I wouldn't have made my connection"?

As I've traveled extensively for the past 40 years, I've encountered many twists and turns. Shanghai being one of the most dismal where I had about 3 hours layover and found out by surprise that I had to go thru Immigration, pick up my bags and then re-check-in at the Business class counter, go back thru Passport Control and Security and get to my flight. Luckily for me, my ongoing (connecting) flight was delayed for just over 5 hours. Even luckier was the fact that I have an APEC card, so could use the Diplomatic line to get thru Immigration. The regular Immigration line looked to be literally THOUSANDS of people deep! :o

Was this my intent? No! Of course not! I spent over 35 minutes on the phone with Agoda complaining about the complete mess and they promised to look into it. The first agent with Agoda actually told me that it's not possible that I had to go thru Immigration and pick up my baggage to recheck back in. Told me that Agoda would never allow that to happen and the airlines understood that. He wasted my time for 20 minutes before I got his boss on the line. Ended up getting a $50 credit for future flights or hotels.

I have hundreds of stories about airports and how much time I've spent in them. Look for my future book entitled "where to sleep the most comfortably in Asian and American airports". :)

OP. You will be ok with EVA. Majority of people flying into TPE are connecting and most likely on your flight. I took that flight before and didn't have an issue. Going trough transit at TPE is easy. Security fast. Then up the escalator to the departure gates

Isn't the arrival time the time you land? Not the exit time i.e. you may need to add on another 15 mins. I would phone Eva and get some reassurance.

They don't give you a layover time where they "think" you cannot make your connecting flight. However they give you that without accounting for delays. I once had a layover in Washington DC. airport of one hour and missed my connecting flight because of a delay. I couldn't leave until the next day and really through a wrench in my plans. I was heading to China, not Thailand. So now I don't take a layover below an hour and a half. If you miss your flight sometimes it's a hassle to get another in a timely fashion.

Is a 40 minute layover too short?

If you miss your connection it is.

If I just bring a carry on, I dont need to go through immigration or anything at all right? I just hop off the plane and my next plane/terminal will be right by the spot I exit?

The shortest layover I've done was 55min at amsterdam airport. My flight from the uk was delayed around 10mins, and it was about a 20min walk from the arrival gate to the departure gate, where there was a short security scan. I made it to the departure ok, but it felt quite stressful to be honest. 

I prefer a more leisurely layover of 2-4hrs, where i can grab some food, some duty free, and relax with a few glasses of wine.

I have the same flight with EVA into TPE late November. Both arrival and departure for EVA are in the same Terminal, so I don't think it will be a problem if everything else goes smoothly. You should just be able to transition to your next flight.

If I just bring a carry on, I dont need to go through immigration or anything at all right? I just hop off the plane and my next plane/terminal will be right by the spot I exit?

If I remember correctly, once you arrive you will have to go through a security checkpoint in Taiwan. It was very short and then you are off to your next flight. You don't have to go through immigration. After that, there were people working for EVA to direct you to your next flight. Not the greatest scenario, but it should be doable.

If I remember correctly, once you arrive you will have to go through a security checkpoint in Taiwan. It was very short and then you are off to your next flight. You don't have to go through immigration. After that, there were people working for EVA to direct you to your next flight. Not the greatest scenario, but it should be doable.

He's correct. Hurry to security.. EVA employees have signs everywhere, This security check you don't need to take off shows , then go up the escalator and you are right at the departure level. With moving walkways .

Also when you arrive at the gate. You're not actually at the gate. You have to go downstairs once you arrive at your departure gate.

You should be okay, but, personally, I wouldn't do it.  I always try to build in about a 2 hour layover.  

One question is when is the next flight from TPE to wherever you are going?  If it's just a few hours later, don't sweat it -- if you don't make it, they should move you to it.  If it's the next day, maybe see if there is an earlier flight from BKK-TPE?

Personal experience: last week, I flew AA from LAX to Puerto Rico, connecting in DFW (and meeting a friend).  I had an hour and 55 minute layover....which evaporated when we were delayed TWO HOURS -- pilot even apologized and explained that he had NO idea why it was taking maintenance so long to get the logs to him so we could leave.

I turned my phone on early and was texting my friend -- boarding had begun (of course THAT flight was on time!), but, luckily, it was only 14 gates from where we were landing.  I texted my friend that I was going to sprint from A23 to A9....he replied "your fat ass will have a heart attack by A22!"

I was in first class so I started sneaking down the aisle before we were even at the gate -- doors open at about 12:45 p.m. and I'm first one off, hitting the jet bridge running to try to catch my 12:55 p.m. flight!  Contrary to my friend's warning, I got to around A19 before I was sucking wind and about to die!  LOL  Luckily, a cart was coming, so I jumped on it and told him to step on it.  As we were driving up, I saw the gate attendant looking in our direction, jumped off the cart, gave the guy $5, said thanks and sprinted onto the plane.

Got to Puerto Rico and was walking to baggage claim to see when my bags might arrive, when, lo and behold, my bag comes tumbling down the carousel as the 2nd bag off.  No fucking way....

When I was desperately trying to get info on my connecting flight on the first flight, a guy from coach came up and told me he was on my flight to PR and asked me what the flight attendants told me.  I didn't see anyone get on after me, so I'm assuming the hold up in getting off of the plane killed his chances of making it.

So I made my flight AND my bags arrived....but the stress was a killer that I NEVER want to experience again.

As I've traveled extensively for the past 40 years, I've encountered many twists and turns. Shanghai being one of the most dismal where I had about 3 hours layover and found out by surprise that I had to go thru Immigration, pick up my bags and then re-check-in at the Business class counter, go back thru Passport Control and Security and get to my flight. Luckily for me, my ongoing (connecting) flight was delayed for just over 5 hours. Even luckier was the fact that I have an APEC card, so could use the Diplomatic line to get thru Immigration. The regular Immigration line looked to be literally THOUSANDS of people deep! :o

I had a similar issue going through Singapore during a busy period. Allowed myself 3 hours between my singapore air flight (which I have to say always have been on time or a bit early) and my connecting flight on cebu pacific. Took me 4 hours to get to the gate, but cebu pacific was 2 hours late so I was lucky.

IMHO a 40min layover is risky particularly if you do not know the airport. Even assumming the plane lands as scheduled by the time you get off the plane and work out where the departing gate is you will be down to 30mins. Itwill be a rush. Also many airlines close down the bording arrangements 30mins before departure time.

However, departures and arrival can be delayed for many reason so as a general rule I always allow 1.5hrs for international transfers.

I've done it over 2 dozen times with EVA through Taipei - as long as you go straight to the transfer area, not stop to ogle the pretty girls in the stores or grab a smoke, and get to your departure gate, you'll be fine. 

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

I m flying via Dubai outbound from uk 3 hour stop ova which is fine in a airport of that size thought stop ova inbound was the same but just checked it's actually half that which is bonus will be on my heel cos have to get from 1 terminal to another will pack essential in carry on bag cos ain't flown with them in a few years but sure my bag arrived the next day

If you book the flight as a single ticket and with carry on only, its doable but still risky. If it's a trip for a month or more at a fantastic price I'd go for it. Anything less, Nope

It's all EVA air and their terminal.  If you only have carryon you should have no issues.  Even a late arrival they will figure it out.  At least that is my experience with EVA.

I fly EVA from the U.S. west coast 2 or 3 times a year. A couple of times they have delayed departure for the U.S. because another flight was late getting into Taipei. Several flights leave late at night for the west coast and EVA makes sure all connecting flight passengers make their connection.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

Archived