IGNORED

License Renewal 5yr to 5yr - Oct 2016

Goolabert

This is specifically for those who have a 5 year license that needs to be renewed. I just did both car and motorbike on 20 Oct 2016. This was at the DLT by Regents School serving the Pattaya area.

A sign at the DLT checkin desk says for 5 Year to 5 year renewal there are two sessions. 10:00-11:00 and 1:30 -2:30. I showed up just before the end of the lunch break at 1:00 PM and was in the afternoon session. They did us as a group and the sessions times are due to the requirement to watch a 45 min safety video.

The only form to fill out (one per license) just needed name and phone number at the top, nothing else to fill out. After doc review and getting the renewal form everyone was directed to wait in the training room where the movie was later shown. Excellent aircon.

During the wait for the movie to start we were taken out in batches to do  two tests, color blindness and Depth perception. they were processing our applications during this time and at the end of the movie we were called by name to review their paperwork to verify name, passport number and phone number and sign that form that they had prepared.

We then were directed to go to the payment desk where the fee was collected. Receipts received were 655 Baht for car license and 405 Baht for motorcycle. Total cost for both 1060 Baht.

When we paid we were given a number and were then called by number to have our photo taken then another five minute wait and were called back and given the completed new license.

Docs needed (One set of copies for each license):

- Passport and copies of photo page and last entry stamp with TM6 card. I had copies of the page with my one year retirement extension but they handed it back to me.

- Thai license and front and back copies of each

- Residence cert from Jomtien. One original and one copy
Note: work permit can be used in lieu of residence cert. Yellow book is supposed to be ok also but it has been reported that the DLT for the Pattaya  area (by Regents school) will not accept it.

No medical cert was required.

No need at all to have a Thai speaker with you. All instructions were given in both Thai and English.

I was there for almost three hours total. Arrived at 12:50 and had license in hand at 3:45

Issue dates on the new licenses are 4 Aug 2005 so I think that that must be the original date of my first Thai license. I Never noticed that in the past.

A note on attire. There are signs regarding correct attire and shows that shorts are not allowed but there were at least 5-6 people wearing shorts so they really don't seem to care. I wore long pants for the first time in over a year myself and was thankful for the good aircon.

Spot on and yes only one original RC despite Immigration will tell you one for each.

As I understand it (and I did it too) you are allowed to renew up to one year after your old DL expires.

I have to say that the sign on the wall doesn't appear to say that, so I was a bit concerned at first, but the girl told me yes OK.

The expiry date should run with your birthday, so although I renewed in August, mine runs until my HBD in September 2021....if I make it that far.

During the wait for the movie to start we were taken out in batches to do  two tests, color blindness and Depth perception.

lol...they must have given up on the reaction test. I was not working when I renewed mine in February last year.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

lol...they must have given up on the reaction test. I was not working when I renewed mine in February last year.

It was under the chair you sit in for the distance test in bits in August.

Go a few days Late and get an additional Year added to your License..6 Yrs not 5 Yrs

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

I have a two year license (first one) up in March of 18. My understanding is that the next will be a 5 year license. As I'm not residing in Thailand yet, and obtain these license on trips, how early or late can I get the 5 year license? I normally come closer to December than March.

• 1 month later...

A couple of comments from my experience at Regents today;

- renewing 5 year licence you only get another 5 year with a non-immigrant visa, otherwise 2 years

- they insisted I needed a medical certificate. I pointed out that the web site said not needed and her answer was 'not updated'

Now whether this was because of my age (71) or just the commonThai vagueness about requirements I dont know but probably worth 100 baht to not waste your time

Archived