Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

.. ILLEGAL ACCOMODATIONS - Including Rented Condos

brutox

Approximately one-half of all rooms in the Kingdom are illegal .. the crackdown continues.

For you property owners and investors, the article cites illegally rented "serviced apartments, guest houses, condominiums, houses and other private properties offered to tourists."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Keep-hounding-illegal-hotels-THA-urges-govt-30297368.html

Keep hounding illegal hotels, THA urges govt

SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION October 11, 2016 1:00 am

THE THAI hotels ASSOCIATION has urged the government to continue cracking down on unregistered hotels as data show that only half of hotel operators have a licence.

Supawan Thanomkiatphum, president of the THA, said yesterday that continuing the crackdown was necessary to improve hotel standards and prevent unexpected incidents caused by illegal operators.

The THA responding after the authorities closed down Eastin Tan hotel Chiang Mai, owned by well-known businessman Tan Passakornnatee, late last week. The hotel was allegedly operating without a licence.

THA data show that the total number of hotels nationwide is close to 20,000. Of that number, about 10,000 are registered hotels comprising 500,000 rooms, while another 500,000 rooms are unregistered.

In Bangkok alone, there are estimated to be more than 300 illegal hotels. Many more are in major tourist destinations like Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Hua Hin/Cha-am. Besides actual hotels, illegal accommodations include serviced apartments, guest houses, condominiums, houses and other private properties offered to tourists.

"These properties are not registered as hotels with the Department of Provincial Administration, the official unit that approves and issues hotel licences," Supawan said.

Unsafe for guests

The THA claims that many of these illegal hotels are substandard and may offer poor service, or even be unsafe for guests. This damages the entire hotel and tourism industry.

La-iad Bungsrithong, president of the THA Northern Chapter, believes that only 10 per cent of the 700 hotels in Chiang Mai are licensed.

"There are 700 hotels and 40,000 rooms in Chiang Mai, but only 79 registered hotels are members of the THA," she said, though she acknowledged that some registered hotels might have opted not to join the association.

She called on the authorities to continue cracking down on illegal businesses, not only hotels but also other tourism-related businesses, to prevent problems.

Since 2014, only 20 hotels nationwide have been charged by police and fined Bt3,000-10,000 each. Most of them, however, have since begun operating again. Some of them have been charged more than once, but are still in the market.

Last year, the THA reported 10 illegal hotels to police, but only a few were charged. The last one was Pangsawan Place hotel in Chiang Mai, which Department of Provincial Administration officers alleged was violating hotel laws.

The hotel was one of nine illegal properties charged in 2014. The other eight were in seven other tourist cities.

"We don't know why police are unable to help us with these hotels, so we will [ask] the government for help," a THA member said.

According to the Department of Provincial Administration, many illegal hotels have opened in emerging destinations such as Ayutthaya, Mukdahan, Krabi, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima and Kanchanaburi.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

Would this effect things like Chowsoy resturant?

Ummm, 50/50 .. approximately one-half of all accomodations in Thailand are rented illegally.

[For those who do not know, Chowsoy is not only a restaurant .. they rent rooms.]

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

With no real effort to crack down and the fine only being 3,000 to 10,000 baht, I don't think the illegal ones really give a shit.

Carry on.

Of course the hotel Association's only concern is the safety and comfort of tourists....lol

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Done this several times already.....seems to fizzle out in Pattaya but depends how much pressure from the hotel industry I suppose.

Unless they target rooms that are rented to tourists for short periods and provide you with a girl I wouldn't really care.  

I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.

We had a fire officer in Blackpool if you did not meet the fire standards he would shut you down, stayed in a hotel in Perth Scotland every time I passed the fire door it was propped open with the fire extinguisher every time I put it in the correct  place it was put back. My first trip at sea had a 4th Engineer he was on Holiday grabbed his girl friend by her hair and pulled her out of a night club 23 Aug 1973 Summerland Isle of Man the fire doors were locked.I watched the Bradford Football club fire on TV both the cause of a lot of the deaths were the emergency escapes were locked. So go for it safety is important.

We had a fire officer in Blackpool if you did not meet the fire standards would shut you down, stayed in a hotel in Perth Scotland every time I passed the fire door propped open with the fire extinguisher every time I put it in the correct  place it was put back. My first trip at sea had a 4th Engineer he was on Holiday grabbed his girl friend by her hair and pulled her out of a night club 23 Aug 1973 Summerland Isle of Man the fire doors were locked & I watched The Bradford Football club fire on TV both the cause of a lot of the deaths were the emergency escapes were locked. So go for it safety is important.

???? ... perhaps some effort on punctuation would make this intelligible ???

???? ... perhaps some effort on punctuation would make this intelligible ???

Sorry on a mobile device not the biggest of screens so I think I have put them In but sometimes miss them. But my point the incidences in which over 100 people died most could have been saved if they had followed safety rules and not locked Emergency Exits.

Archived