IGNORED

Windows 10 Defender, a real virus scanner?

b0b

I’m confused.
Up to now I always used (and paid for) virus scanners such as Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, bitdefender and ESET.
However, on my new Windows 10 notebook I’ve the impression that Windows Defender acts as a fully-fledged virus scanner with no need of another virus scanner.
Their online information says: “Windows Defender automatically turns off if you install another antivirus app.”
So, my question is: Is the in Windows 10 built-in Windows Defender a real virus scanner with no need of another one?

Back in the days of Windows Vista I relied on Defender and no other anti virus software and yes, I got a virus.

Since then I use Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and have had no issues

Just my own experience but I would not rely on Defender

Avast free antivirus program , pretty good as well . 

Good link/article Scumbag :)

I used Free Avast during years and was happy with it, but from last year I find it tries to make way to many things, very far from what an anti-virus is supposed to do, installing many 'agents' in the system. That caused me several times problems with my Intranet that uses both wires & wifi connexions.

So when I changed my disk for a new SSD one, I reinstalled a Win10 without Avast or other, just the default Windows Defender. Now my PC starts a lot faster, the CPU is a lot of less used when I surf on Internet, and I don't have any more these Avast Ad popups and these #@$%! extensions it installs without asking in all my browsers!

Windows Defender makes its job, fine, quietly without noticeable impact on the used ressources. If you are not the type of person who often download many programs from anywhere and execute them without caution, then very probably it will be enough and the good choice for you :)

Back in the days of Windows Vista I relied on Defender and no other anti virus software and yes, I got a virus.

Since then I use Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and have had no issues

Just my own experience but I would not rely on Defender

Avast free antivirus program , pretty good as well . 

Good link/article Scumbag :)

I used Free Avast during years and was happy with it, but from last year I find it tries to make way to many things, very far from what an anti-virus is supposed to do, installing many 'agents' in the system. That caused me several times problems with my Intranet that uses both wires & wifi connexions.

So when I changed my disk for a new SSD one, I reinstalled a Win10 without Avast or other, just the default Windows Defender. Now my PC starts a lot faster, the CPU is a lot of less used when I surf on Internet, and I don't have any more these Avast Ad popups and these #@$%! extensions it installs without asking in all my browsers!

Windows Defender makes its job, fine, quietly without noticeable impact on the used ressources. If you are not the type of person who often download many programs from anywhere and execute them without caution, then very probably it will be enough and the good choice for you :)

Thanks for the answers up to now.

Bitdefender is excellent free virus protection.

I’ve had bitdefender in the past and it was not for free.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found zemana.  on it's first run it found one that  Malwarebytes had missed.    It's not free though.

I've pirated Malware bytes for years. A few years ago they threw in the towel and said if you had a pirated copy to just use a code and it would be free full version just like we were using except they  recognized it. I was dubious so out of 4 copies I went ahead and did the upgrade from them. They were true to their word. Then  I started using Win10 and had to download the trial version and then switch to the full paid version using the key they sent to me. It went smoothly. Defender started automatically. As it did in 7 so I've been using the pair for about 7 years and i haven't had a virus.

i have used avg free edition on every system ive owned since around 2005, never had a problem

I'd been using Norton since the DOS days!!!!!

I'd been using Norton since the DOS days!!!!!

The first system i had came with norton pre installed i removed that shit and put avg straight on, although i have nothing to compare it against i would say its the best free antivirus out there, im constantly downloading and pick up a lot of zipped stuff as well it has always picked up and stopped anything harmful, never had any problems with malware or trojans

Windows Defender is better than nothing. But not by much. I use Malwarebytes (paid). I've used all the premium ones and settled on this.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

• 1 month later...

My 2 cents.

If you're on Windows 10 then Windows Defender will turn itself back on if you turn it off.

I'd also use Avast Free, and Malwarebytes Free. Avast will protect realtime but you can run a Malwarebytes scan once a month to clean up any unwanted rubbish which isn't really a full on virus.

CCleaner is useful to keep things running smoothly. Run that once a week.

I use, in conjunction with an anti-virus, ""Ad-Aware". 

Ad-Aware stops malware and similar.

Free download. Used it for years. Highly recommend this program. 

And would not trust Windows Defender.

Archived