IGNORED

Pocket WIFI

Hi Folks, has anyone purchased a pocket wifi lately and if so from which company?  I would also appreciate your opinion on it.  Thanks in advance.

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

TBH I didn't know I needed one.....................PocketWifi3G-DevicePage-462x387.jpg

Free Wi-Fi all around town.

................................................................................................................

Little Willy and his two neighbors getting kind of "microwaved ."....... :GoldenSmile1:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

My thanks for the well thought out and intelligent replies. 

My thanks for the well thought out and intelligent replies. 

Any reason you don't want to 'hotspot' from a phone ? 

Only reason I ask is in case you hadn't considered it.

I usually connect my phone to a bar's Wifi and get online that way. However, this would be handy when I'm on the baht bus or some bar with girls, drinks, music etc. but no Wifi.

Wolfy, as a Canadian I feel you finally deserve a well thought out and intelligent reply, eh.

:GoldenSmile1:

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

Also it is more secure than a public wifi .., example if you connect for bank info or transactions , that is why KK limits some access by wifi , and let full access by mobile internet on their mobile app

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

I got one from Verizon a few years back and it worked well. I'd start with a coverage map and go from there, although most devices should work with any major carrier I'd think. 

Currently I'm tethering from cell phones, unlimited data but only some of that is at high speed. The mobile hotspot billed for data overages. I had a 5 GB plan for about $50/mon. That was fine for light use like web surfing.  

Public WIFI is not secure and when you are making flight reservations, or doing business of any kind I find it preferable to use a secure connection.  I will be there for 5 months and will be using my laptop.  Guess that I will wait until I am in country and decide for myself.  BTW being Canadian has nothing to do with a request for an intelligent answer.

Good point about the secure connection. Sorry, just having a laff about the quality of the answers here.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

Public WIFI is not secure and when you are making flight reservations, or doing business of any kind I find it preferable to use a secure connection.  I will be there for 5 months and will be using my laptop.  Guess that I will wait until I am in country and decide for myself.  BTW being Canadian has nothing to do with a request for an intelligent answer.

This Huawei E5573-320s 4G MiFi is a good all round unit. If you ok with just 3G, you can get the Huawei 5220 3G MiFi for 1490. Issue with E5220 is the lack of Auto APN, so you'll need to enter them yourself.

Huawei E5330 is better.

I could bring one with me from the UK if you are sure that you want one.

Thanks for the offer GreyMan, for now I will pass.  I think that TrueMove has the same unit.  Thanks again for the info and the offer. 

Thanks for the offer GreyMan, for now I will pass.  I think that TrueMove has the same unit.  Thanks again for the info and the offer. 

I think TrueMove units are ZTE, not Huawei and they are locked to TRUE. So you may need to get them unlocked or just stick to TRUE plans.

Keep us updated as to what you find and at what price.

They are made by ZTE and if locked, which is likely, are more difficult to unlock than Huawei. You would need to find someone to unlock it for you or just stick with TRUE. Which would be a shame, since they have the worst offerings.

Anyway, let us know what you find in so that we have the latest info.

Good Info on the ZTE will definitely check more closely when I am on the ground.  Many thanks for the research and input helps a lot. My thanks to everyone.  It is appreciated!!!

Use a VPN for your phone, iPad, laptop, and desktop. In use IPvanish because it has a good app for my iPhone. I never use my iPhone or iPad out without it. For 10 bucks a month it is well worth it. I may change to torguard https://torguard.net When the subscription runs out.

I'm not techy at all but my lad has free 2gb of data roaming worldwide from his iphone uk provider in his monthly deal. Not sure what he did in July but my smartphone was using his as a hotspot ??   Thats what he told me anyway. 

Use a VPN for your phone, iPad, laptop, and desktop. In use IPvanish because it has a good app for my iPhone. I never use my iPhone or iPad out without it. For 10 bucks a month it is well worth it. I may change to torguard https://torguard.net When the subscription runs out.

Consider Tunnelbear - unlimited bandwidth for $50US/yr - fair bit cheaper than IPvanish. The only thing is they don't support torrents.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update .  Made it in on the 22nd despite the Typhoon and the final decision was to go with DTAC sim and use my smart phone as a mobile hotspot.  Working well and saved me about 2000THB.  Works for me!!!

1427883561-AircardSha-o.jpg

Air-card-Shared-WiFi-4G.jpg

Great post this is called a dongle in the UK.

Superb & thanks for your post.

Top draw Sir.

Thank you.

Jack.

:Wassup1:  :Wassup1:  :Wassup1:  :Wassup1:  :Wassup1:

:Fantastic:  :Fantastic:  :Fantastic:  :Fantastic:  :Fantastic:

:Clap9:  :Clap9:  :Clap9:  :Clap9:  :Clap9:

Archived