IGNORED

Visa for a 5 month stay

joey69

Hi,

I am looking for some information for a friend. Today I went to Liverpool city centre to the Thai embassy with a friend (over 65 and retired) to get his visa for his upcoming 5 month trip that he has done every year for the last 6 years.

He usually get a 12 month multi entry visa that allows him a 90 day stay before he must do a visa run to get another 90 days to cover the rest of his stay.

He was informed that this visa is no longer available and the most he can have is a 90 Day visa which he can apparently extend in the visa place in Jomtien. If he can extend this for another 30 days then it will still leave him a month short and will have to leave by air to get another 30 days to make this up to the 5 months he needs for his trip.

I would be very greatful if any board members know any information that will help him regarding his visa situation as the Thai embassy are unsure if you can even extend this 90 day visa.

Why do they make it so hard for us legitimate visitors to have an extended stay in the kingdom?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joey69

there is no 90 day visa.

it is 60 days which can be extended for another 30.

the 90 day bit is that when it is issued it is valid for entry into into thailand within 90 days.................ie a visa issued 6th sept would need to be used before dec 5th

the multi entry visa stopped being issued something like nov 8th 2015 or around that time

Multi entry non Immigrant O - A should be the visa that fits the bloke.

Bit of fucking around in your home country to get the visa.... ie:  medical, cop report and proof of income, but if worked correctly, can give just about, just shy of 2 years before a new visa is required.  It is the visa you can use to obtain the retirement extension if so inclined...  Once in Thailand, it as 90 day reporting visa, no need to leave the country until expiration of the  Permission to stay date.  example: leave 5 days before the VISA EXPIRATION DATE, re enter BEFORE THE VISA EXPIRATION DATE and presto, you have another 1 year permission to stay.

It is pretty important that people actually understand the difference between VISA EXPIRATION DATE and the PERMISSION TO STAY DATE. What that means is the permission to stay date, can be up to a year AFTER the Expiration Date of the VISA.  The Visa will have printed on it an "enter before date".  That is when the visa expires...  Make your last entry, one day before that date, and you have permission to stay for another 12 months...

There is a 6 mth multi entry tourist visa he can apply for. It allows a 60 day at a time stay before he will need to do a visa run.

http://tielandtothailand.com/thailand-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-requirements/

METV Very similar to what he had but not easy to obtain 5K in a UK bank for 2 or 3 months permission from employer not sure how to handle it since hes retired.

The Thai Embassy is very helpful in London and do answer e-mail queries.

He can get a SETV 60 days plus 30 extension £25 then leave Thailand and get another one Laos Cambodia Vietnam Malaysia.

As Dave has stated a NoN O retirement visa can be obtained but seriously a lot of paperwork involved

My Thai Girlfriend says having a small Dick shouldn’t be a problem in a relationship I still wish she didn’t have one though!

METV Very similar to what he had but not easy to obtain 5K in a UK bank for 2 or 3 months permission from employer not sure how to handle it since hes retired.

He can get a SETV 60 days plus 30 extension £25 then leave Thailand and get another one Laos Cambodia Vietnam Malaysia.

As Dave has stated a NoN O retirement visa can be obtained but seriously a lot of paperwork involved

Yeah not sure of the consulate requirements in England. When I got mine in Australia it eas pretty straight forward, I just had to have $8000 in the bank, ticket to Thailand and proof of my first visa run.

Bit of fucking around in your home country to get the visa.... ie:  medical, cop report and proof of income, but if worked correctly, can give just about, just shy of 2 years before a new visa is required.  It is the visa you can use to obtain the retirement extension if so inclined...  Once in Thailand, it as 90 day reporting visa, no need to leave the country until expiration of the  Permission to stay date.  example: leave 5 days before the VISA EXPIRATION DATE, re enter BEFORE THE VISA EXPIRATION DATE and presto, you have another 1 year permission to stay.

It is pretty important that people actually understand the difference between VISA EXPIRATION DATE and the PERMISSION TO STAY DATE. What that means is the permission to stay date, can be up to a year AFTER the Expiration Date of the VISA.  The Visa will have printed on it an "enter before date".  That is when the visa expires...  Make your last entry, one day before that date, and you have permission to stay for another 12 months...

Have you used the Non-Immigrant type OA visa? You are correct if what you have is a multiple entry visa but my understanding is that these visas are not multiple entry. If you need to go outside of Thailand you can get a re-entry permit but on return you will only be admitted until the expiration of the visa. If you leave during the one year without a re-entry permit the visa is dead.

I agree with others either a retirement visa or a METV depending on the hassle of getting the former. Just remember that with the METV he will need to leave Thailand at least once during his visit

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks guys for all the replies. I will pass the info onto him and he can decide what to do from there.

If his pension income is the equivalent of 65000 baht a month or more, and he intends to visit Thailand for 5 months every year, then I would get the SETV in the U.K. which gives 60 + 30 days then get a Retirement Visa with multiple-entry permit when he is in Thailand. He can then renew that every year when he's there.

Take the paperwork he needs with him & he can get help with it in Thailand if he wants.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

If his pension income is the equivalent of 65000 baht a month or more, and he intends to visit Thailand for 5 months every year, then I would get the SETV in the U.K. which gives 60 + 30 days then get a Retirement Visa with multiple-entry permit when he is in Thailand. He can then renew that every year when he's there.

Take the paperwork he needs with him & he can get help with it in Thailand if he wants.

The thing is he has to take his proof of income to the British Embassy in Bangkok and get a letter. Alternately 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 or 3 months or a combination of both. I do believe for a fee £500 an agency can arrange a retirement visa without these requirements.

This is what I mean about a lot of paperwork involved and faffing about. 

My Thai Girlfriend says having a small Dick shouldn’t be a problem in a relationship I still wish she didn’t have one though!

Agreed get SETV extend for 30 days and do single Visa run in suggested Countries

^^^

This is the easiest option.

The thing is he has to take his proof of income to the British Embassy in Bangkok and get a letter. Alternately 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 or 3 months or a combination of both. I do believe for a fee £500 an agency can arrange a retirement visa without these requirements.

This is what I mean about a lot of paperwork involved and faffing about.

I mentioned income so he wouldn't need to have the money in a Thai account.

My understanding is that the British Embassy now only does the proof of income by post - no more walk-ins or appointments.

He should find an agent to help if necessary for much less if the just wants someone to check his paperwork rather than the entire visa the 'thai way'.

I know there's hassle with paperwork and cost but if he's going for 5 months every year then he'd have to get a SETV & leave the country to get another, or get a METV and still leave the country anyway.

It's likely that would need to be flying out for a few days rather than a mini-bus visa run in case enforcement is 'hot' when he does it.

Just makes sense to me in his circumstances to get the Retirement visa sorted. If he feels he'd like a side trip to a neighbouring country then 2 SETV's would suit.

It's likely that would need to be flying out for a few days rather than a mini-bus visa run in case enforcement is 'hot' when he does it.

There is no issue doing in-outs at a land crossing if you have a visa.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

He doesn't want to be arsed with paperwork, so just get a SETV and have a chat with an agent when he gets here.

There is no issue doing in-outs at a land crossing if you have a visa.

Yes, but if he goes down the SETV route then he will need to get a new visa (in Cambodia or Laos?) so will be relying on them not turning him down. I'm just not sure I'd want to depend on them not tightening up on this with no warning.

The METV route before travelling isn't really any less of a hassle than the retirement visa route in Pattaya.

Just get a SETV then look at Retirement in Pattaya is what I was suggesting. If he decides against, then a side trip would need to be arranged.

I don't see a huge difference in costs either way. For me, I'd rather paperwork in Pattaya to flying/bus & Consulate visit in Cambodia. He may prefer travelling.

Of course, this is reliant on his pension meeting the income threshold.

Just get a SETV then look at Retirement in Pattaya is what I was suggesting. If he decides against, then a side trip would need to be arranged.

I don't see a huge difference in costs either way. For me, I'd rather paperwork in Pattaya to flying/bus & Consulate visit in Cambodia. He may prefer travelling.

Of course, this is reliant on his pension meeting the income threshold.

Or he could just get an SETV pay an agent and relax and enjoy his holiday.    :GoldenSmile1:

Or he could just get an SETV pay an agent and relax and enjoy his holiday.    :GoldenSmile1:

If he has 25-35k baht a year to spare.

:-)

If he has 25-35k baht a year to spare.

:-)

I'm hearing more like 15k....just doesn't sound like the type to DIY it.

I'm hearing more like 15k....just doesn't sound like the type to DIY it.

If you have anyone you can rec PM me. Have a mate who would be very interested in a 12 month visa for 15k.

If you have anyone you can rec PM me. Have a mate who would be very interested in a 12 month visa for 15k.

PM'd you on FB but you sleeping.    :GoldenSmile1:

PM'd you on FB but you sleeping.    :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks mate. Will have a look. Not on as much as I was.

• 1 month later...

sorry for being thick, you must get fed up with going over the same ground,I've read that much my head is battered.

I applied for an O-A visa at London, for some reason or no reason they have returned me a multi entry O,I've been in a phone cue now for 2 hours, I've emailed them but no reply.

If I understand you correctly, I don't need to leave after 90 days just report to Jomtien.which I will have to do 3 times.

If I fly out a few days before my enter before date on my visa and return a day before the processs starts all over again.

Am I better to do this or go at the end of the 1st 90 days and apply for a retirement visa.

I thought that with a multiple-entry 'O' Visa you had to leave Thailand every 90 days?

I'm happy to be corrected!

Maybe that's only the other types of 'O' and not the one based on Retirement?

I think the marriage one can be extended for another 60 days but not sure about Retirement.

Sorry, not much help!

Just know that when it comes to me getting a Retirement Visa I'm entering on a Tourist and doing it in Thailand.

Archived