Jump to content
Jackie2013

re-use a tourist-sim with another topup package?

Recommended Posts

Kandinski

Had the same DTAC tourist SIM for ages extend as needed. Link how its done for a couple of the providers in link

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scribes

All good.  I went back to the text when I topped up on 1 October and it says expires on 27/3/18 (I'm back in December).  Another msg gives me an Ais smart user login username and password so will try that just to see what happens....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barhop

My AIS top up saga continued well into last night.  Second para below is the reply from AIS, after I told them I had tried the top up section on their website.  Here's what the message says after filling out all the details:  [The service is temporarily unavailable.  Please try again later]  So really the service is PERMANENTLY unavailable if one tries to use a non-Thai credit card.

[I am sorry for the late assistance. I suggest that you are able to access the payment channel here : https://topup.ais.co.th/topup-fe/topup?lang=en which only accepts only the credit/debit card which is issued by Thai banks only. In case that your transaction is declined, I assumed that you might use the foreign card to complete the process. Therefore, I suggest that you can change to use Thai card instead and try to run the process again. Thank you.]

Anyway, after emailing Alan from English Rose (where I am booked for April 2018), he has so kindly offered to top up the card for me as AIS has stated [it will be terminated from the system if you do not top up the balance within 14/11/2017].  That really is great service and separates a good guest-house/hotel like English Rose from the large hotels imho.

Before any future trip ends, I will be a bit smarter and top up SIM and check  its valid at least until the next trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
j_d66

The other thing I always do is right before I leave Thailand I  dial *121# take a screenshot of the message.  That way it is easy for me to refer back to later so I know when I will expire so I can do something about it if needed.

The other interesting thing is at least in the USA I can pop in my AIS sim and it will become active.

Whats good about that is AIS has an app but the thai phone needs to be working in order to receive a logon code.

The app is kinda cool as you can see what plan you are on.

It has a provision to let you top off which I tried but the credit card would not process.  Probably because it wasnt a thai credit card.

You can change your plan but I couldn't find where it told me the expiration.  it is probably there somewhere.

Anyway can be a handy little app.

 

 

 

 

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barhop
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 21:25, JamJar said:

 

 

Too much drama.....

 

Just send me the number via PM and I'll extend it by another month for you, to give you some time to top it up yourself.

 

Here; https://thaiprepaidcard.com

 

No stress. :)

 

 

You're not kidding about too much drama and thanks for the kind offer,  However the first time I tried this site, I did something silly and would up at a place called "ding" which seemed real dodgy, so got out of there!

Anyway, last night  had another go and logged into mobiletop.com.  It's a Thai company, the text is English and foreign credit cards are fine.

https://mobiletopup.com/signup

Payment was very easy after signing up.  Then received this message from AIS and of course asked her to extend the validity as she offered :Party1: .

We do receive your top up already. I checked that now your validity was extended to be until January 2018. To have it be valid until April 2018, please top up at lease 20 Baht for at least 3 times to get another 3 months of validity. Otherwise, you are able to inform me to buy the validity for you as 90 days of validity charges only 90 Baht from your account. Kindly consider.

So it becomes evident that some earlier posts here that advised a number of small top ups are better to extend validity rather than one biggie are very correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamJar
9 hours ago, Barhop said:

You're not kidding about too much drama and thanks for the kind offer,  However the first time I tried this site, I did something silly and would up at a place called "ding" which seemed real dodgy, so got out of there!

Anyway, last night  had another go and logged into mobiletop.com.  It's a Thai company, the text is English and foreign credit cards are fine.

https://mobiletopup.com/signup

Payment was very easy after signing up.  Then received this message from AIS and of course asked her to extend the validity as she offered :Party1: .

We do receive your top up already. I checked that now your validity was extended to be until January 2018. To have it be valid until April 2018, please top up at lease 20 Baht for at least 3 times to get another 3 months of validity. Otherwise, you are able to inform me to buy the validity for you as 90 days of validity charges only 90 Baht from your account. Kindly consider.

So it becomes evident that some earlier posts here that advised a number of small top ups are better to extend validity rather than one biggie are very correct.

 

Actually, I could have done it for you for 1.5 baht per 20 days. So around 27 baht for 12 months.

You don't need to top up "at least 20 baht" for 30 days of SIM validity, as was suggested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barhop
11 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Actually, I could have done it for you for 1.5 baht per 20 days. So around 27 baht for 12 months.

You don't need to top up "at least 20 baht" for 30 days of SIM validity, as was suggested.

You own AIS???:unsure:

After so many hours rooting around with the "too much drama" I honestly find it difficult to find something to say, except maybe I should have followed your post more closely...:Oops1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barhop
25 minutes ago, JamJar said:

 

Actually, I could have done it for you for 1.5 baht per 20 days. So around 27 baht for 12 months.

You don't need to top up "at least 20 baht" for 30 days of SIM validity, as was suggested.

 

Actually it was AIS who suggested that...so what's their game???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamJar
7 hours ago, Barhop said:

Actually it was AIS who suggested that...so what's their game???

 

They weren't trying to trick you. They just suggested what they thought would be possible for you.

They were to know that you had the possibility for someone to transfer validity to you.

In short, any AIS user can transfer validity to another for a cost of 1.5 baht to 3 baht per 20 days. In addition they can transfer phone credit to one another.

 

So I could have topped up your validity from mine and then you could have replaced what it cost me by transferring some credit back to me once you hit town.

No stress.

A full twelve months would have cost 27 baht for me to transfer to you and 36 baht for me to refill my own account.  63 baht.

So I offered to add a month or so(forty days) for nothing, as that would have cost me a mere 3 baht and I would replace that forty day validity in normal use of my SIM.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barhop
6 hours ago, JamJar said:

 

They weren't trying to trick you. They just suggested what they thought would be possible for you.

They were to know that you had the possibility for someone to transfer validity to you.

In short, any AIS user can transfer validity to another for a cost of 1.5 baht to 3 baht per 20 days. In addition they can transfer phone credit to one another.

 

So I could have topped up your validity from mine and then you could have replaced what it cost me by transferring some credit back to me once you hit town.

No stress.

A full twelve months would have cost 27 baht for me to transfer to you and 36 baht for me to refill my own account.  63 baht.

So I offered to add a month or so(forty days) for nothing, as that would have cost me a mere 3 baht and I would replace that forty day validity in normal use of my SIM.

 

 

 

 

Wow, have read your post heaps of times and am still trying to get my head around it...  The VALIDITY and CREDIT requirements have confused others here also.  But transferrineg VALIDITY from one account to another is almost unimaginable to me.  Certainly, my mistake for not taking up your kind and generous offer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackie2013

Lets say I left the country in the middle of June with 300 baht balance. Will it "validate" it automatically 20baht, or would you say my card is inactive now? I'm arriving this week - 5 months later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deano4598
1 hour ago, Jackie2013 said:

Lets say I left the country in the middle of June with 300 baht balance. Will it "validate" it automatically 20baht, or would you say my card is inactive now? I'm arriving this week - 5 months later. 

Hi Jackie, I had about 250 on my DTAC in May this year when I left and turned the phone off. October I flew back in to Bangkok and turned the phone back on. All still there and carried on like it was yesterday AND my credit was still good to Jan 2018. Topped up start of Nov and the credit was good to May 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
j_d66

just came back from Thailand

Not sure if it's really true or not but when i went into the 7 11 in Pattaya they told me the could no longer top up AIS

Maybe it was just that location as I didn't try in any other 7 11

You can still top up at Family Mart so its not a big issue.  The stores I went to would not let me top up anything less than 50 baht though.

So each top up will extend you 30 days

When I bought my data package this time i got one for 30 days and the girl at the airport said she would set it up to cancel after 30 days so it doesn't keep renewing.  No matter really since I don't have a large enough balance to renew anyway.

Another trick you can use with AIS is to dial *500*9#  and what that will do is extend you for 30 days for 30 baht.

So in essence you could add 60 baht and then do this twice and you would be able to extend for 90 days for a total of 60 baht used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamJar
On 28/11/2017 at 21:05, j_d66 said:

just came back from Thailand

Not sure if it's really true or not but when i went into the 7 11 in Pattaya they told me the could no longer top up AIS

Maybe it was just that location as I didn't try in any other 7 11

You can still top up at Family Mart so its not a big issue.  The stores I went to would not let me top up anything less than 50 baht though.

So each top up will extend you 30 days

When I bought my data package this time i got one for 30 days and the girl at the airport said she would set it up to cancel after 30 days so it doesn't keep renewing.  No matter really since I don't have a large enough balance to renew anyway.

Another trick you can use with AIS is to dial *500*9#  and what that will do is extend you for 30 days for 30 baht.

So in essence you could add 60 baht and then do this twice and you would be able to extend for 90 days for a total of 60 baht used.

7/11 and AIS had a disagreement over commissions, so no more.

 

No need to top 50 baht or even 30 baht each time. There are machines outside 7/11 and Family Mart that allow you to top up 10 baht at a cost of 12 baht.  So you can max out the validity to 365 days for 144 baht.

 

The 30 baht package of which you write is thus; 

30 Baht (get 30 days validity)

30 minutes of talktime over

5 days

dial *500*9# icon_telephone.gif

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barhop
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 04:03, JamJar said:

No need to top 50 baht or even 30 baht each time. There are machines outside 7/11 and Family Mart that allow you to top up 10 baht at a cost of 12 baht.  So you can max out the validity to 365 days for 144 baht.

 

The 30 baht package of which you write is thus; 

30 Baht (get 30 days validity)

30 minutes of talktime over

5 days

Dear Khun Peter
Thank you for your email.  I would like to inform you that you can use email to receive OTP.  In order to do so, please email us with the copy of your passport.  On the pepar, please mention that you want to receive eServoce OTP of your mobile number on which email and certify true copy with your signature.
Now, your account is valid until 10/08/2018 with 347.07 baht.  You can try to check by dial *121#.
Best regards,
Thanks for this, and earlier advice, JamJar and I will certainly try your procedure when I am in Los next year.  The nausea involved in adding validity in Aus will be just a bad memory :D  Above is recent email from AIS. 
If I may offer advice to the new (and perhaps some not so new) do this stuff while you're there and not think "no probs, I'll sort it out when I get there next time.."  Now, I know on my 2 sim phone, that it will be just a few taps on sim settings and I'll be live :Flying:  No queuing for another bloody sim card as soon as I arrive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barhop

Sorry for the perhaps email confusion.  All I should have posted is:

12 minutes ago, Barhop said:

Now, your account is valid until 10/08/2018 with 347.07 baht.

as I did not use the OTP option as all I wanted to know was the VALID date and BALANCE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bonkabit

Went into Big C Shopping Centre in Second Road. On the upper floor TG GF got a Thai SIM put into my Samsung phone, 'Valid for 6 months minimum and can top up at e.g. any 7-11 store'.

Returned to Australia and then another holiday less than five months later. In the plane I took out the Oz SIM and inserted the Thai one. Tried to ring TG from Suvarnabhumi airport to tell her I was on my way to meet her but the phone would not work to connect to her number.

Moral: when supplier says 'Valid for (period)', it may not be true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GreyMan
1 hour ago, Bonkabit said:

Went into Big C Shopping Centre in Second Road. On the upper floor TG GF got a Thai SIM put into my Samsung phone, 'Valid for 6 months minimum and can top up at e.g. any 7-11 store'.

Returned to Australia and then another holiday less than five months later. In the plane I took out the Oz SIM and inserted the Thai one. Tried to ring TG from Suvarnabhumi airport to tell her I was on my way to meet her but the phone would not work to connect to her number.

Moral: when supplier says 'Valid for (period)', it may not be true. 

 

Doesn't sound right. Have never seen  a message that states; "Valid for six month minimum". Seems you misunderstood something along the way.

It would always state a exact date of validity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.