IGNORED

re-use a tourist-sim with another topup package?

Jackie2013

Hi Buddies, 

I bought a AIS 12C touristsim at the airport in this june. 

Can I use this very same sim for their regular top-up packages? If I look at their website you could - for an example - buy 4gb of data (lasting 15 days) for 250 baht. 

Is somehow my travellersim locked for these traveller/tourist-packages? The topup is a lot more affordable...

You can. Before, I bought a new SIM every time until the Thai government have that register requirement. I don't want to waste time to register a new one every time. I have been using the same AIS SIM since early last year. Just top up enough credit and input the code. But make sure you check the expire date.

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 01:14, Jackie2013 said:

Can I use this very same sim for their regular top-up packages? If I look at their website you could - for an example - buy 4gb of data (lasting 15 days) for 250 baht. 

This is similar to my position.  Still have the AIS SIM I used in June 2017 sitting in Slot 2.  Did have it disabled in settings but just then clicked on my SIM Slot 2, moved to on - et voila - it says AIS.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 12:11, matrix123 said:

You can. Before, I bought a new SIM every time until the Thai government have that register requirement. I don't want to waste time to register a new one every time. I have been using the same AIS SIM since early last year. Just top up enough credit and input the code. But make sure you check the expire date.

Question 1:  Can this SIM be "restarted" and topped up by walking into the AIS vendor in Suvarnabhumi and would there be a saving from buying a new package?

Question 2:  Saw somewhere that AIS is available in all the Family Stores.  Would there be someone in there able to achieve a top up of old SIM or maybe it would it be too techo?

Question 3:  Would I be able to top it up online myself,  just before the trip, from Aussie and have it work when I get there? (would love option 3 to be possible)

I still have the phone number that was allocated by AIS then but that's about the limit of my info.  I have two three week trips already booked 2018 and may book a third.  So Matrix's comments about using the same AIS SIM every time have me hugely interested :Cross_Fingers:and I suspect this would be useful info for lots of others also...

Option is probably possible but whenever I have been on the websites for phone companies everything is in Thai.
When you are here go to the office of whatever company you are with and you can get the validity extended for a year. Costs nothing from memory. Offices are in Tukcom and Big C extra on Pattaya Klang and a few other locations around town.

1 hour ago, Barhop said:

This is similar to my position.  Still have the AIS SIM I used in June 2017 sitting in Slot 2.  Did have it disabled in settings but just then clicked on my SIM Slot 2, moved to on - et voila - it says AIS.

Question 1:  Can this SIM be "restarted" and topped up by walking into the AIS vendor in Suvarnabhumi and would there be a saving from buying a new package?

Question 2:  Saw somewhere that AIS is available in all the Family Stores.  Would there be someone in there able to achieve a top up of old SIM or maybe it would it be too techo?

Question 3:  Would I be able to top it up online myself,  just before the trip, from Aussie and have it work when I get there? (would love option 3 to be possible)

I still have the phone number that was allocated by AIS then but that's about the limit of my info.  I have two three week trips already booked 2018 and may book a third.  So Matrix's comments about using the same AIS SIM every time have me hugely interested :Cross_Fingers:and I suspect this would be useful info for lots of others also...

I am still using the same old SIM. Answer your questions:

1. I was in BKK a couple weeks ago. The AIS counter is very busy. They mainly sell the new SIM cards.

2. There is a Family Mart convenient store about a minute walk from the AIS counter. They have the AIS top up cards. 50 THB, you get a card with a 16 digi number. You follow the instruction and input the code. Or you could top it up at the basement in Central Festival in Pattaya. AIS has a store there.

3. I haven't done online top up.

I usually make 2 to 4 trips a year. Every time before I leave Thailand, I just make sure I have at least a hundred THB credit in my SIM. And make sure to check the expire date. Every time you top up, your credit will be extended for another 30 days. So, when I arrive in BKK next time, I could still my SIM right the way.

I usually top up from my Kasikorn account to my AIS. So you can do that from abroad. Maybe worth ringing your AIS number to ensure it's not dead before topping up.

I use the unlimited 4mbps 30 day package. 450 baht, very good for streaming and consistent all times of day in Pattaya unlike my Wi-Fi which tends to go down hill from early evening.

5 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

When you are here go to the office of whatever company you are with and you can get the validity extended for a year. Costs nothing from memory

Very interesting...but just found somewhere that Thai SIM card needs VALIDITY and BALANCE... perhaps I have neither...

4 hours ago, matrix123 said:

There is a Family Mart convenient store about a minute walk from the AIS counter. They have the AIS top up cards. 50 THB, you get a card with a 16 digi number. You follow the instruction and input the code. Or you could top it up at the basement in Central Festival in Pattaya. AIS has a store there.

3. I haven't done online top up.

I usually make 2 to 4 trips a year. Every time before I leave Thailand, I just make sure I have at least a hundred THB credit in my SIM. And make sure to check the expire date.

Seems I may have problem here...

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I usually top up from my Kasikorn account to my AIS. So you can do that from abroad. Maybe worth ringing your AIS number to ensure it's not dead before topping up.

Turned AIS SIM on in slot 2 and turned off slot 1 (TPG) with full home WIFI registering.  Slot 2 clearly shows AIS but am unable to use or verify.  Also tried an international call (turned on briefly) ex TPG to Thai number and got "sorry the number you are calling cannot be connected".

Emailed [email protected] with (sorry no Thai and love your country), gave the number, 2 or 3 trips next year, etc etc... and asked if I will be able to use this SIM.  See what happens...and thanks guys for the advice...

Got a receipt reply very quickly...

เอไอเอส ได้รับทราบข้อมูลของคุณแล้ว กรุณารอการติดต่อกลับเพื่อให้บริการ ขอบคุณค่ะ
AIS have already received your inquiry.  We will respond to your email shortly.  Thank you.
I'm impressed...so far anyway...:unsure:

It's only the data portion that expires.  I lost my data on the last day of a trip,  but still had phone.   Returned 5 months later, still had phone and only needed to top up the data to use...

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

It's only the data portion that expires.  I lost my data on the last day of a trip,  but still had phone.   Returned 5 months later, still had phone and only needed to top up the data to use...
My AIS SIM died after 6 months away even though there was a decent balance on there, so don't assume it's ok

If you have a decent balance but no time to extend validity before you leave, you can contact AIS. They will add validity for you for 30 baht per month.

• Alternative method: Dial *500*9#  Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package.

I have a True Move SIM - I checked the expiry date with the kiosk before I left and it will still be valid when I return next. They said to call in at the kiosk in BKK and I can top up with a data package.

Will be interesting to see how much this saves over getting a new SIM. As all my calls are done via LINE or Skype I don't care about keeping the same number.

BTW, although that kiosk in the airport looks busy, thay have so many staff behind the counter that they always serve me straight away. Last time it took less than 5 mins to get a new Sim with eveything working.

Had no problem with the True Move service or coverage and I travelled around quite a lot.

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, Christo said:

My AIS SIM died after 6 months away even though there was a decent balance on there, so don't assume it's ok

Ahh... Thanks for that...maybe it's a  6 month thing.   I'm back in Dec which will be only 3 months since leaving so fully expect  the phone to work (because I did top up a little last trip).   When I put the data back on this time, I'll add some more calls and ask regarding expiry.     Need to keep this one as it has my BKK "line" account 555.

be careful because I think (I hope I am wrong because it will make life simpler) that a Line account is connected to a phone number?   I have a line account on my Aus Phone but have a sep. Line account for my burner phone in Thailand (which is just the out of contract iPhone 6 I kept when upgrading to the 7 plus).    I suppose I am asking a question lol - can you set up Line like FB and just log in from any platform?    When i originally set up my burner phone in Thailand, I couldn't acces my existing Line account on it so started a new one...   Sorry to turn this into a tech question after all the easy info you supplied!   

Community service announcement - I love walking around BKK with my old iPhone 6 in my pocket and rue the day I went for the big plus screen.   Think long and hard before you do it everyone!

be careful because I think (I hope I am wrong because it will make life simpler) that a Line account is connected to a phone number?   I have a line account on my Aus Phone but have a sep. Line account for my burner phone in Thailand (which is just the out of contract iPhone 6 I kept when upgrading to the 7 plus).    I suppose I am asking a question lol - can you set up Line like FB and just log in from any platform?    When i originally set up my burner phone in Thailand, I couldn't acces my existing Line account on it so started a new one...   Sorry to turn this into a tech question after all the easy info you supplied!   
Community service announcement - I love walking around BKK with my old iPhone 6 in my pocket and rue the day I went for the big plus screen.   Think long and hard before you do it everyone!
If you set up an email address for your line account when you change devices you can login again but message history is lost unless you backup first. If you don't set up an email address and your SIM number dies then your Line dies too.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 08:57, Christo said:

Ahh... Thanks for that...maybe it's a  6 month thing.   I'm back in Dec which will be only 3 months since leaving so fully expect  the phone to work (because I did top up a little last trip).  

Seems you might be right on that one as I was last there in June.

Have had an email from AIS:

I am sorry for the late assistance. I checked that your number is being suspended due to the non-use and it will be terminated from the system if you do not top up the balance within 14/11/2017. I suggest that if you are in overseas right now, you are able to assign someone in Thailand to top up the money for you at least 20 Baht to avoid being cancelled. Thank you very much.

Assigning someone in Thailand was not an option so went to the AIS online site and found amongst all the gunk a "prepaid online topup".  All proceeded well - selected credit card, number, then topup amount and clicked OK - which wasn't quite correct as then got "The service is temporarily unavailable.  Please try again later".

Emailed back to AIS for confirmation that I can use that service (that is temporarily unavailable).  Oh - was trying to wack 500B on it - less than $A20 today.  Shit I hope this will work with 2 to 3 trips next year... Learning every day...

I have a DTAC sim which can be loaded with a topup not long before I leave Thailand, I get about 280 days before expiry. If I will not be back before that time expires DTAC will suspend the credit indefinitely till I ask then to re-activate. Don't know if other carriers do similar but worth an ask.

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

i use AIS.  Everytime you add time they send you a text telling you what your balance is and how long it is valid until.

Each time you add time it will add 30 days so if you want to keep it from expiring just add a few baht to it every so often.

I only come twice a year and add data when i get there and time maybe once or twice during the trip so I have enough call time and it pushes it out there about 9 months.  

If you do some looking on the AIS website I think it will tell you how long past the expiration date that you can keep your number and the sim will stay active but I don't remember how long that is.

3 minutes ago, j_d66 said:

i use AIS.  Everytime you add time they send you and email telling you what your balance is and how long it is valid until.

That's perhaps the amusing part - I am trying to add time right now because I never have before.  So have never had one of those wonderful info emails...

from AIS email after my email: your number is being suspended due to the non-use and it will be terminated from the system if you do not top up the balance within 14/11/2017

Anyway "terminated from the system" sounds very final - might get Arnie zapping the AIS SIM in slot 2 - it he's still up to it...:unsure:

2 minutes ago, Barhop said:

That's perhaps the amusing part - I am trying to add time right now because I never have before.  So have never had one of those wonderful info emails...

from AIS email after my email: your number is being suspended due to the non-use and it will be terminated from the system if you do not top up the balance within 14/11/2017

Anyway "terminated from the system" sounds very final - might get Arnie zapping the AIS SIM in slot 2 - it he's still up to it...:unsure:

I should actually clarify that it is a text message that they send me not an email.  sorry

it will look like this

IMG_4051.jpg

I did let mine expire once and when I got there they had not elminated my number from the system yet so all i had to do was add time again and I was good to go.  But now I try to push it out far enough until when I think I will be coming back.

I really don't care about the number as I use it mostly for data but it's nice to not have to buy a new sim every time i go there

19 minutes ago, j_d66 said:

I did let mine expire once and when I got there they had not elminated my number from the system yet so all i had to do was add time again and I was good to go.  But now I try to push it out far enough until when I think I will be coming back.

I really don't care about the number as I use it mostly for data but it's nice to not have to buy a new sim every time i go there

Oh yeah yeah yeah, this is what I am trying to achieve before the next trip.  Avoiding buying new SIM every time is what this is about.  But seems I will be eliminated in a few weeks if I don't take some action to top it up.

1 hour ago, j_d66 said:

i use AIS.  Everytime you add time they send you a text telling you what your balance is and how long it is valid until.

Each time you add time it will add 30 days so if you want to keep it from expiring just add a few baht to it every so often.

I only come twice a year and add data when i get there and time maybe once or twice during the trip so I have enough call time and it pushes it out there about 9 months.  

If you do some looking on the AIS website I think it will tell you how long past the expiration date that you can keep your number and the sim will stay active but I don't remember how long that is.

Now there's an idea.... I'll whack the burner phone on wifi here and actually read some of the multitude of msg's I've had from AIS......

1 hour ago, Barhop said:

Seems you might be right on that one as I was last there in June.

Have had an email from AIS:

I am sorry for the late assistance. I checked that your number is being suspended due to the non-use and it will be terminated from the system if you do not top up the balance within 14/11/2017. I suggest that if you are in overseas right now, you are able to assign someone in Thailand to top up the money for you at least 20 Baht to avoid being cancelled. Thank you very much.

Assigning someone in Thailand was not an option so went to the AIS online site and found amongst all the gunk a "prepaid online topup".  All proceeded well - selected credit card, number, then topup amount and clicked OK - which wasn't quite correct as then got "The service is temporarily unavailable.  Please try again later".

Emailed back to AIS for confirmation that I can use that service (that is temporarily unavailable).  Oh - was trying to wack 500B on it - less than $A20 today.  Shit I hope this will work with 2 to 3 trips next year... Learning every day...

Great news.  I'm going to fire up the burner phone on Aussie Wifi and check msg's to see if I have a nominated expiry.  If not found will attempt a website too up.  

3 hours ago, Barhop said:

Too much drama.....

Just send me the number via PM and I'll extend it by another month for you, to give you some time to top it up yourself.

Here; https://thaiprepaidcard.com

No stress. :)

2 hours ago, Christo said:

Great news.  I'm going to fire up the burner phone on Aussie Wifi and check msg's to see if I have a nominated expiry.  If not found will attempt a website too up.  

Put in phone and turn off Data Roaming. You just want to see if you have Roaming set up so you can receive SMS.

If you have a signal, go to https://eservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb and click on the EN tab. Enter the mobile number and click Request password. Password should arrive via SMS at no charge.

Enter the password on the website and you will have access to your current balance and expiry date.

Archived