IGNORED

Is US driver lisence valid for motorcycle ?

Funny time

The reciprocal agreement, as I understand it, still requires it to be transferred to an IDP. Hell, in my country my motorbike liscence is called a class 6 in BC and it is called a class M in Ontario. The only way anyone can figure these things out is with an international recognized format IE an IDP.

I don't know what transferred means in this context unless you mean as in language translated. Again, an IDP is not required for US citizens if they have a valid US State license and are driving temporarily in Thailand. 

The US License does not have to be translated into Thai if that is your meaning. Actually the Reciprocity Agreement requires that the licenses be in English.

That said, some seem more comfortable with an IDP, so be it, but my understanding is that even under an IDP it is only valid "temporarily" and for longer stays a Thail Dl is required. Then there is the issue of a lot of websites issue invalid IDPs and whether a Pattaya BiB can decipher that is doubtful but your Insurer will be able.

I don't know what transferred means in this context unless you mean as in language translated. Again, an IDP is not required for US citizens if they have a valid US State license and are driving temporarily in Thailand. 

The US License does not have to be translated into Thai if that is your meaning. Actually the Reciprocity Agreement requires that the licenses be in English.

That said, some seem more comfortable with an IDP, so be it, but my understanding is that even under an IDP it is only valid "temporarily" and for longer stays a Thail Dl is required. Then there is the issue of a lot of websites issue invalid IDPs and whether a Pattaya BiB can decipher that is doubtful but your Insurer will be able.

Up to you.

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

I'm not so sure of that. I've rented numerous times from Avis, Hertz, Enterprise and Thai Economy Rentals over the years and have never been asked for the IDP. ......................

The reason for that is probably because in Thailand it's the vehicle which is insured and not the driver, so your pet monkey can drive if the car hire company don't stipulate hirer driving only or must have whatever DL.

In other words, it could be a whole different story if it was your own insurance.

What one should really be concerned about is what the fine print in their insurance policies stipulate (assuming one has any insurance). For example, many policies disclaim coverage/void coverage unless the insured "has a valid license for the country in which they are driving." ............................

From personal experience, this almost cost me 30k Baht.

I'd had no DL issues with the BiB at the accident scene as I had a UK DL + IDP.

Months later, I got a call from the repair shop to say the Fortuner was ready for collection and to make sure to bring my Thai DL.

Not a problem, as I'd got one just the week before, though obviously I didn't have one at the time of the accident.

Curious, I asked at the shop (after I'd got the keys) what would have happened if I didn't have one.

The nice lady showed me the insurance company (Viriya) release form which had that condition printed clearly (in Thai) on it.

According to her, No Thai DL = no vehicle release unless I'd paid the 30k myself.

I never checked on the Policy whether it's on there....dunno.

Re' IDPs, not a clue about US reciprocal agreements but I see farang of all nationalities every night junction Pattaya Tai/Second Road trying to argue their way out of a ticket.

At the roadside it's basically no IDP = Ticket = 400 (?) Baht.

Experiences may vary, especially out in the Jungle (AKA Darkside  :WinkGrin1: ).

In the UK an IDP costs about 300 Baht at a P.O. or through the AA.   :Think1:

Try this.... http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/112532-international-driving-permit-aka-licence-definitive/

Here is the applicable section of the Thai Motor Vehicle Act:

I highlighted the relevant words.

The agreement between the US and Thailand (96 countries total) is the 1949 Geneva convention.

The document specified is the IDP

There is nothing in the Thai law that gives a time limit on how long you can use a foreign license with IDP.

Insurance may be an issue, but is a separate issue than whether your license is valid for driving.

Section 42. A driver shall be licensed and shall, while driving or controlling other driving trainee in driving, possess driving license and a copy of vehicle registration certificate for producing immediately to the competent official, except the driving trainee under section 57.

In case of a driver who is an alien temporarily permitted to reside in the Kingdom under the law on immigration may possess a driving license under section 42 bis while driving in the Kingdom. In this case there shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country for producing immediately to the competent official45

[The word “vehicle” is amended its spelling in Thai version under section 3 of the Vehicle Act (No. 12), B.E. 2546 (2003).]

Section 42 bis 46. In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied.

45 Section 42 paragraph two is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

46 Section 42 bis is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

there is an international treaty on which driver licenses don't need an IDL to be valid in thailand

more info:

https://www.angloinfo.com/thailand/how-to/thailand-transport-driving-licences

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

More bad advice.

Thailand like many others require an International Driving Licence which is not actually a licence but should be used in conjunction with your national driving licence.

The agreement that king m refers to is the acceptance that American driving licences are regarded as a national driving licence that can be used in conjunction with the IDL.

Also this acceptance will certainly be time limited.

In Australia many drive on their national licence but if you do so long time will find it is no longer valid.

In Thailand the normal concession is to only demand the IDL not your national licence as well but that is up to the police..

Everywhere i have ever driven demands different tests for different vehicle groups and motorcycle licences are obviously more expensive to obtain than car licences.

Love to visit the USA and drive one of those White, Peterbuilt, Macks but doubt that US police will accept my UK car licence. A $13 fine would not hurt but it may be more?.

Oh there are 2 standard IDLs, only the fold out normal one is good here.

That's a bogus reference. It refers to the 1968 Vienna treaty which none of those countries ratified. Third party references like that depend on how well the author did his research. In this case the author didn't do a very good job of it.

The only applicable references are Thai law and treaties that Thailand has signed such as the ASEAN agreement (10 countries) or the 1949 Geneva treaty (96 countries). Thai law makes no exception for the language of the license.

The 1968 treaty is occasionally incorrectly referenced, even though it does not apply to Thailand or any of the English speaking countries. It originally had a paragraph that stated that if a driver's license was in one of the official languages of the country it was to be used in then the IDP would not be required. 

That paragraph may be the basis for the common misinformation that if a license is in English then an IDP is not required. That was also an unpopular restriction with countries that wanted to require the IDP, regardless of the language of the license and was eventually removed from the 1968 treaty in 2011. 

More bad advice.

Thailand like many others require an International Driving Licence which is not actually a licence but should be used in conjunction with your national driving licence.

The agreement that king m refers to is the acceptance that American driving licences are regarded as a national driving licence that can be used in conjunction with the IDL.

Also this acceptance will certainly be time limited.

In Australia many drive on their national licence but if you do so long time will find it is no longer valid.

In Thailand the normal concession is to only demand the IDL not your national licence as well but that is up to the police..

Everywhere i have ever driven demands different tests for different vehicle groups and motorcycle licences are obviously more expensive to obtain than car licences.

Love to visit the USA and drive one of those White, Peterbuilt, Macks but doubt that US police will accept my UK car licence. A $13 fine would not hurt but it may be more?.

Oh there are 2 standard IDLs, only the fold out normal one is good here.

Don't feel special, there is no such thing as a US drivers licence, driving requirements are state-specific and there are slightly different rules in each State.

Most US States require a special "Commercial" endorsement on a DL for anyone to be licensed to drive a Mack/Peterbuilt/Kenworth and the like, even for those from the UK. Just an aside, here in Thailand there is a special Thai requirement for driving a Tractor, aka Kubota. 

Meanwhile, to each his own in Thailand if you choose to drive without meeting the insurance requirements. It is foolish and those BiB "Driving While White" are the least of your worries when you find out that bogus IDP you bought on the internet is not worth the paper on which it is printed as far as your Insurer may be concerned.

More bad advice.

As you're acknowledging that it is not a Licence, why not call it by its correct name........

........International Driving Permit.

AFAIK there is no such thing as an IDL, although no doubt someone sells them.

That's a bogus reference. It refers to the 1968 Vienna treaty which none of those countries ratified. Third party references like that depend on how well the author did his research. In this case the author didn't do a very good job of it.

The only applicable references are Thai law and treaties that Thailand has signed such as the ASEAN agreement (10 countries) or the 1949 Geneva treaty (96 countries). Thai law makes no exception for the language of the license.

The 1968 treaty is occasionally incorrectly referenced, even though it does not apply to Thailand or any of the English speaking countries. It originally had a paragraph that stated that if a driver's license was in one of the official languages of the country it was to be used in then the IDP would not be required. 

That paragraph may be the basis for the common misinformation that if a license is in English then an IDP is not required. That was also an unpopular restriction with countries that wanted to require the IDP, regardless of the language of the license and was eventually removed from the 1968 treaty in 2011.

great info here - as a side note, international treaties take precedence on national law, so it seems the 1968 treaty had indeed been waiving the requirement for an IDL until 2011 in some of the signatory countries.

great info here - as a side note, international treaties take precedence on national law, so it seems the 1968 treaty had indeed been waiving the requirement for an IDL until 2011 in some of the signatory countries.

P

• 2 months later...

My research indicates that if you hold a full

Licence from your home country, you can drive a car or a motorbike in Thailand in the short term: e.g. Holiday etc.

However, the Thai Police won't accept it and they want to see an I.D.L..

Make sure your I.D.L. is stamped in the appropriate boxes

to cover you for Car and Motorbike.

Wear a Helmet at all times. You will definitely get stopped and fined for No Helmet.

Licence from your home country, you can drive a car or a motorbike in Thailand in the short term: e.g. Holiday etc.

Wear a Helmet at all times. You will definitely get stopped and fined for No Helmet.

The acronym is IDP, not IDL. It stands for International Drivers Permit.

Whether you are here short term or long term has nothing to do with the requirement for the IDP.

• 4 weeks later...

You will only be legal driving a motorbike with an IDP if it has a motorcycle endorsement on it. The only way to do that is to already have a motorbike license in the U.S. so they can put it on your IDP. Hope this helps

As a side note nothing takes precedence over national law.  International treaties, agreements, directives etc need to be incorporated into national law to make them applicable.  The law of each nation should be beholden to no other, and it is the right of each nation (and by extension its' government) to make it's own laws. In the UK it is known as parliamentary sovereignty and in the US as constitutional supremacy.  It will have many other names for different countries around the globe. 

On the original note my understanding has always been that you need an IDP with your home countries DL.

• 2 years later...

Get the international drivers license (IDL)...i got busted in Pattaya right on beach road.  cops wait outside the police station and motion you over.  Must have IDL along with your valid country license...and for the correct class.  When i got busted, i had a learners permit from my home country, but that wasn't good enough.  IDL is required for the correct class to pass without paying a $400 baht fine.  Only redeeming value was that i had to wait in the holding area with a bunch of working TG's.  Chatted up a few, made the 1-hour wait for a judge bearable

Archived