Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Is US driver lisence valid for motorcycle ?

Funny time

International License is Valid..Regular Driver License is Not valid for a Car or Motorbike

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

You need an IDL but i hear most Americans get away with only using their national license . 

You're not insured though without an IDL . 

The Purpose of the IDL is that it translates the actual driver's license.  Iv'e never seen one that translates to Thai, so why are they required in Thailand if you are coming from an English speaking country?

You need an IDL but i hear most Americans get away with only using their national license . 

You're not insured though without an IDL . 

Not only Americans but any western country (ie Americans do not enjoy any special driving privileges). However legally you must have an IDP.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

The Purpose of the IDL is that it translates the actual driver's license.  Iv'e never seen one that translates to Thai, so why are they required in Thailand if you are coming from an English speaking country?

It is what the law requires so this inconstancy is irrelevant.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Not only Americans but any western country (ie Americans do not enjoy any special driving privileges). However legally you must have an IDP.

Ask the selfie warrior ...  :WinkGrin1: .

I have never managed to get away with only showing my normal license , they always want to see the IDL . 

Sometimes you do get lucky though . Few months ago i was stopped on the bike and had my IDL in the 

car . There was an old one in the bike from 2012 ... he had a look at it , pointed out the date and waived

me through . 

By looking at my IDL from few years back, I see that Thailand is one of the 1949 IDP Contracting States so I am not surprised that foreigners are expected to have it. Because the IDL only cost me about $25.00  I don't believe that having only your regular DL is worth the risk.The cops may cut you some slack now and then, but what if you're involved in an accident? That's when having the proper paperwork will really become the focus point.

My experience when I 've been pulled over by the BiB. (quite a few times) Off the bike, hand over my IDL. They don't even take it out of my hand, just wave me on. It's been expired for several years. This has always been up country. I never ride bike in Patts.

Ask the selfie warrior ...  :WinkGrin1: .

RoidWarrior stopped that boast after being pulled up and fined lots of times.

Simple answer, a US (or any home) DL is only legally valid when accompanied by an International Driving Permit (it's not a Licence)......

.............and for a Motorbike only if that is included in the Categories listed.

Experiences at roadside can and do vary.

But do you need license for vespa? Or bikes less than 50cc?

To be stand corrected but 50cc seems to be rare from rental companies in Pattaya, but the license(and a International driving permit) is required for any bike

I think I read on here(probably from Edge) that a moped entitlement doesn't show on a IDP so the Thais are oblivious to the privelige that befits(at least a UK driver before 2001)

IDP will be required should you decide to have a shunt. First item on any Insurers checklist. Did the driver have correct license....No and claim denied immediately and you've just totalled a Mercedes you hit.

By looking at my IDL from few years back, I see that Thailand is one of the 1949 IDP Contracting States so I am not surprised that foreigners are expected to have it. Because the IDL only cost me about $25.00  I don't believe that having only your regular DL is worth the risk.The cops may cut you some slack now and then, but what if you're involved in an accident? That's when having the proper paperwork will really become the focus point.

Correct and big bills will be coming your way .

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

IDP will be required should you decide to have a shunt. First item on any Insurers checklist. Did the driver have correct license....No and claim denied immediately and you've just totalled a Mercedes you hit.

I'm not so sure of that. I've rented numerous times from Avis, Hertz, Enterprise and Thai Economy Rentals over the years and have never been asked for the IDP. In fact, when I've presented it I've been told 'not needed'. In all this time, I've had one claim when someone backed into my rental truck while having dinner in Buriram and left a large dent just next to the right tail-light. As I always purchase the cover for the nominal price offered, all it cost me was five minutes to write a description of what happened along with the 3000 Baht deposit I had put down. No mention of IDP, though the rental record has evidence of proper licensure.

With that said, I still have a current IDP with me just in case, though I tend to think it's more of protection from an overzealous police officer than an actual requirement, which I've never see written in official documentation for holders of English-language drivers' licenses. For the low cost of obtaining the IDP, prudence is in order.

A word of advise...

I got my IDP from AAA in California... they INCORRECTLY filled out the IDP... and failed to stamp ALL pages for the appropriate vehicle classes for 2 wheel and 4 wheel vehicles...  I FAILED TO NOTICE IT... and only checked the ENGLISH page... My fault for not checking the other pages...

So... naturally I get stopped by the BIB... they went through each page and used any excuse to show that I was not allowed to operate the vehicle... aka one page (the french one) only had the car allowance stamped... and the officer proceed to use that as the excuse to say I was not allowed to operate a motorbike...

Trip to Soi 9, and 400 baht fine...  (I'm just glad that they did not impound the bike which is a whole different story and a royal pain in the a$$)...

... SO a warning to all...

Some patently bad information on this thread.

Thailand has a reciprocity agreement with several countries, US is one of them, where for temporary time (undefined but generally interpreted to be less than 6 months), one can legally drive in the other country while vacationing. I have done it many times both in the US on a THail DL (after eventually obtaining my Thai license) and in Thailand with just my US license (before obtaining my Thai DL.) No IDP or IDL is needed.

The issue can become the local BiB cannot read your home country license. When that has happened, I just took whatever "ticket" they chose to issue and just went to the local Cop Shop and got it corrected, or if it is just a 100 - 200 Baht "Driving While White" charge just let it go.

What one should really be concerned about is what the fine print in their insurance policies stipulate (assuming one has any insurance). For example, many policies disclaim coverage/void coverage unless the insured "has a valid license for the country in which they are driving." For US citizens vacationing in Thailand for a temporary period, just your US State license will suffice. I know, I have successfully claimed against my travel Insurer for an accident in Thailand.

The reasons I decided to get a Thai DL was because I now stay in Thailand longer times and didn't want to risk a debate on the definition of "temporary time in Thailand" with my Insurer and the routine explanations with BiB who simply do not understand the Law/Agreement on reciprocity. But an IDP has zero relevance vis-a-vi the Law and is rather about convenience/BiB local Prod familiarity with seeing it in Pattaya.

Can't comment on US insurers, but Australian and UK insurers will decline cover if you are injured while operating a bike and don't have a bike licence back home.

Can't comment on US insurers, but Australian and UK insurers will decline cover if you are injured while operating a bike and don't have a bike licence back home.

Same for US Insurers, in US most State Licenses have an endorsement on them attesting to the holder also being licensed to operate a motorcycle. 

Thailand has a reciprocity agreement with several countries, US is one of them, where for temporary time (undefined but generally interpreted to be less than 6 months), one can legally drive in the other country while vacationing. I have done it many times both in the US on a THail DL (after eventually obtaining my Thai license) and in Thailand with just my US license (before obtaining my Thai DL.) No IDP or IDL is needed.

What is the name of this international agreement and when was it ratified?

What one should really be concerned about is what the fine print in their insurance policies stipulate (assuming one has any insurance). For example, many policies disclaim coverage/void coverage unless the insured "has a valid license for the country in which they are driving." For US citizens vacationing in Thailand for a temporary period, just your US State license will suffice. I know, I have successfully claimed against my travel Insurer for an accident in Thailand.

Which insurer? When was the accident and how much were the damages?

You don't need an IDP but coppers may choose to administer a spelling test in it's stead.

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

What is the name of this international agreement and when was it ratified?

Which insurer? When was the accident and how much were the damages?

Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.  Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: [ailink]citizenguides.asp=Click here|/moving/residency/consular-services/=Click here[/ailink] - See more at: https://www.angloinfo.com/thailand/how-to/thailand-transport-driving-licences#sthash.u7G1swBk.dpuf

My accident was covered/insured by my US Insurer who happens to be State Farm for whatever reason that is of interest. At first in my case the adjuster asked for proof I had a valid Thai license (I settled up in Thailand in cash and brought the claim in the US when I got back for repayment by the Insurer), she didn't know the Law either. After a few consultations with her colleagues she relented. One of the points in my favor was on that trip I entered Thailand on a 30-Day no visa tourist permission to stay. That convinced State Farm I was indeed in Thailand temporarily and that therefore my US license was valid.

Some patently bad information on this thread.

The issue can become the local BiB cannot read your home country license. When that has happened, I just took whatever "ticket" they chose to issue and just went to the local Cop Shop and got it corrected, or if it is just a 100 - 200 Baht "Driving While White" charge just let it go.

The reasons I decided to get a Thai DL was because I now stay in Thailand longer times and didn't want to risk a debate on the definition of "temporary time in Thailand" with my Insurer and the routine explanations with BiB who simply do not understand the Law/Agreement on reciprocity. But an IDP has zero relevance vis-a-vi the Law and is rather about convenience/BiB local Prod familiarity with seeing it in Pattaya.

The reciprocal agreement, as I understand it, still requires it to be transferred to an IDP. Hell, in my country my motorbike liscence is called a class 6 in BC and yet it is called a class M in Ontario. The only way anyone can figure these things out is with an internationally recognized format. IE an IDP.

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

Archived