Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Pattaya Beer Garden Update - High Season arrives

PattayaPete

I was sitting in the bar on Halloween night (last day of October) and remarked to a friend that as the next day was 1 November officially the end of the rainy season and the start of the high season, we could expect all raining to cease forthwith and hordes of tourists to descend on Pattaya. For those of you who don't know, this has been the rainiest, rainy season in (my) living memory and one of the worst low seasons for bar owners to boot.

The good news is that 1 November proved to be our busiest day in the Beer Garden to date and it didn't rain. However as I sit here typing this today a wild thunder storm is busy scaring the wife and the rain is persisting down outside. Hopefully the rain will really depart from the high season shortly and bar owners can feel a little relieved at the crowds now descending upon Pattaya. Many people, including me, felt that high season this year might not happen, what with global economic meltdown, fuel price volatility and airlines charging unheard of fares.

Nevertheless it would appear that the draw of Pattaya is to great for many to resist and despite the worlds problems, a holiday in Fun City is still important to many. Early days yet but a good start to November seems to have boosted everyone's morale. I did a tour of the bars of Walking Street last night and the place was hopping.

The Pattaya Beer Garden does seem to have reached a new level in the last month. We have been very busy at times and are back to a few growing pains. More about that later. Some days it can be hard to find a seat at the bar and the outer tables are often full in the evening. Here's a few pics of the bar snapped last night.

476763-470.jpg

476763-471.jpg

476763-472.jpg

Mikey an old friend from FLB days and Chef to the stars in Los Angeles was in town during October and generously took time out from a very busy holiday to work with the PBG Chefs on improving their farang food skills. The staff really enjoyed the opportunity to pick the brains of a great western Chef and also managed to pass on to Mikey some of their Thai food Secrets.

476763-473.jpg

Mikey in action at The Grill.

With Mikey's help we have added some extra items to the Menu, including Sliders -Three Mini Cheese Burgers with Pickles, Grilled Onions and French Fries, Teriyaki Chicken Sticks - Skewered Chicken tidbits Marinated in Teriyaki Sauce and cooked on an open flame, the classic Tuna Melt, Ham Melt and some really tasty sandwiches including a real American style BLT (much improved from our previous offering) and Meatloaf which is cooked on the premises each day and can be eaten in a sandwich or as a full dinner. We've also added a Chicken Korma for those who like Indian food.

476763-474.jpg

Mikey and some of the PBG kitchen team.

As I mentioned above we are still going through growing pains. The bar works well and our level of service seems good. We are struggling again to get food out in a timely manner. At Mikey's suggestion we added extra cooking equipment inn the kitchen, including a new and much bigger grill, extra burners an additional deep fryer and a second microwave. The kitchen is now split into a farang side and a Thai side which should improve the work flow as well.

During October the number of meals we produce each day doubled, so despite our Kitchen improvements the wait time for food has not shortened and at some times actually got longer. During the busy dinner period from 6 pm to 9 pm there can be delays of 30 minutes or so. That's not really acceptable to me. We do try and let customers know if the delay is likely to be more than 15 minutes. The Executive Chef and me are working hard to get the times down to acceptable limits but we are not there yet. We will get there though.

On the subject of under performing I read a thread on the Secrets Forum in which the poster complained of receiving a cold meal at the Pattaya Beer Garden. He did not complain to the staff but voted with his feet and left. It was gratifying to see three pages of replies from people saying their experience had been much better and suggesting that most restaurants produce a bad meal from time to time and to give it another try. The original poster agreed to do so and felt due to his alcohol intake he may have been a bit hasty in passing judgment.

I raise the subject because I want to reiterate our commitment to giving all our customers a great experience. Ann and I have been working hard to get it right and we are succeeding. However we can't get it right 100% of the time. If we mess up we will put it right though. One of our strongest pushes with the staff has been to explain that if a customer is not happy then it is OUR problem and we MUST do something about it. This is not a concept that comes easy to most Thais.

So, if you are not happy with our service, for any reason, please complain. The staff take customer complaints seriously and are under strict instructions to make it right. If that means a refund, or cooking it again, or getting a colder beer, they will do it. Please just ask.

We also added an overhead plate warmer to the kitchen equipment so that if a meal is slow to be served for any reason, it will stay hot.

Having said all of the above I'd still like to remind everyone that Thailand is not the west, Thai's grasp of English is not that of a native speaker and some communication difficulties are bound to occur. That's part of the fun of a visit to Thailand.

A few days ago one of the waiters asked me to speak with a customer because his order was not clear. On speaking to the gentleman, he requested a plate of mixed vegetables from the Thai menu with a side of Asparagus and a baked potato from the farang menu but no butter on the potato as he was health conscious. Not a difficult order for me to understand but beyond most Thai waiters.

I passed the order on to the Chef and invented a price on the spot. The mixed vegetables are 70 baht so I added a further 20 baht for the potato and 20 baht for the side of asparagus, all up 110 baht. That seemed fair to me and I explained it to the customer who was happy. Ten minutes later the plate arrived and to my dismay contained about a quarter of the normal mixed vegetable meal a few pieces of Asparagus and a huge baked potato in the middle. The customer was happy with it but there was no way I could charge the additional 40 baht. I put the price back top 70 baht and everyone was happy.

The waiter did not understand the customer, the customer did not understand the waiter, I understood the customer but the Chef did not understand me. What was ordered and what was delivered were somewhat similar but there was lots of room for someone to get upset.

The way our food service works is that all items on the menu have number. The waiter takes the number and passes it on to the cashier. She enter it in the computer which produces a Check in English for the customer and prints a ticket for the Chefs in Thai. This reduces communication problems but chaos can result if you try to change standard items around. We can but try to get it right.

I had to laugh when I noticed the Mixed Vegetable, health conscious customer had drunk 15 Singha Beers prior to his healthy food order. He laughed as well when i pointed it out that it was a little incongruous.

Our daytime business has been great but very few ladies appear during the day. I'd like to see more but really the problem appears to be that the girls who make an effort to come early rarely hook up with a guy. Most customers in the daytime are more interested in Chillin' than Lookin'. No action for the girls means they don't come back in the daytime. I think that will slowly get better but if you want to speed things along please do say hello to any girls in the bar during the daylight hours.

Last month I mentioned an abundance of girls appearing around 9 pm and staying to around 11 pm. That has been a useful core time for guys looking to hook up. I am pleased to say that those times have been expanding with quite a few girls turning up as early as 6 pm and more than a few lingering long past midnight. Six months down the track I'd have to say I am happy with progress. More girls, particularly early on would be good but the numbers do seem to coincide with the amount of guys Lookin'. I don't know how the girls know but they do seem to have a sixth sense about this.

476763-475.jpg

476763-476.jpg

476763-477.jpg

476763-478.jpg

476763-479.jpg

Our free wifi Internet connection has been a bit of a headache this month. It all started to go wrong when I went up country for a week in October. On my return the Internet had stopped working. A quick trip to TOT confirmed they had cut it off for non-payment. Fortunately I'd brought the bill with me with receipt attached. The TOT clerk explained that although the bill had been paid on time in October and was completely current, they had cut it off because we paid the June account a week late six months ago. When I pointed out that that was fu%^&^$%^#$ ridiculous she agreed that they would reconnect it without charge. Thank you so much @#$%((.

Since then it has been very unreliable, dropping out regularly and when it does work its pretty slow. I've applied for a new line from TT&T which they said would take a week about three weeks ago. Once it's in it should fly though as we will have a business package and speeds of 4 mbits. Anyone who has spent time here knows that good Internet service is hard to come by. I am hopeful that with our new service we will be one of the fastest in Pattaya. Time will tell.

Don't forget that the Pattaya Beer Garden is part of Addicts Competition 206. We have your coupon ready and waiting for you. Good luck to all entrants.

Martin and Pin from FLB Bar are regular diners at the PBG and I snapped this pic of them the other night at sunset. I really liked how it turned out and those Pattaya sunsets can be spectacular.

Cheers for now

Pete

476763-480.jpg

Pattaya Beer Garden Website

Nice report, I was in there just about everyday last month for lunch , luv the burgers there, no complaints... will be in town the 24th so looking forward to eating there again and enjoying the views.. i sent you an email not too long ago about the goldmine your sitting on i wont be able to come in there 2 years from now and find a seat :D

Pete, I'm glad it's going well for you and hope ' High Season' - if there is one - gets the place really recognised.

The beer is well priced, the food is good and I have always found the staff friendly and helpful.

I always find western menu's in Thailand exciting as you are never quite sure what is coming.

Ordering a combination of menu items or say an extra egg usually brings the standard answer of 'no hab' and by the time you have worked it all out you've forgotten what you really wanted. Glad to see you are getting there!!

I would like to congratulate you on the simplest and most effective idea I have seen for years - that being the beer mat's - one side for 'chillin' one side for 'looking.' If some of the Go-Go's tried it I'm sure they would keep customers longer - drinking - which is what they want after all. Hope you got the copyright on that.

pete, the food sounds great mate, i will come in and have a drink and try some food when i come over on the 8th dec.

top bar visited last time will be back in 2 weeks see you then

Nice honest report as usual Pete and glad things going along well.

I frequeneted the place a good few times on my last trip and my observations are as follows.

This is a fantastic place to meet up with friends, absolutely perfect in many ways. First the location, right at the start of Walking Street. Secondly, when you factor in the location and the prices it is one of the best venues to eat especially as the food is good. Therefore if people need to eat first they can do so. The music is at a level where stories can be swopped and plans for the night can be discussed.

However as of yet it is not the greatest place to pick up a girl and this probably boils down to the success of the above. For me personally I was always in the bar between 9-11pm and although my mat was green and I was looking I probably wasn't very approachable as I would have been chatting with pals. 9-11PM Would be my fussy time and for me to pick a Long time in that period she would have to tick a hell of a lot of boxes. Obviously as the night draws on and drink settles in my fussiness lessens. Of course if i want a ST during the day there would be more obvious places to go for all the guys that stay in LK Metro, Soi Boukhow, Soi 2/3/78 etc.

Looking it from the girls point of view the big problem about getting them to stick about would be the music. I know girls that can nurse a sang som in Candy Shop Lucifers etc for a couple of hours trying to get a guy. Thats because they have the music to keep them entertained. I suppose to put in a nutshell at yours they get bored easily if they are not chatting to a guy. Of course change the music the whole dynamics of the bar change which I don't think any of us want.

So I suppose it is a chicken and egg situation as far as the girls go. A tough one to get perfect.

However a fantastic place to meet, a great place to eat but getting girls is a little off beat.

However as Meat Loaf says "2 out of 3 aint bad"!

Peter; Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed all aspects of the PBG. The food in my estimation is excellent and a good value for the Baht. Brought in some friends and all agreed. Brought in a Thai lady and she thought the food was very good but far too much for her to eat. So if that is her only complaint you have a winner on your hands. It was nice meeting you when I was in, and wish you continued success. I must say that if all owners were as hands on and as available as you are to one and all, the problems would be minimal and quickly solved. Keep up the good work.

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

So, if you are not happy with our service, for any reason, please complain. The staff take customer complaints seriously and are under strict instructions to make it right. If that means a refund, or cooking it again, or getting a colder beer, they will do it. Please just ask.

That wasn't the case when I complained about waiting an hour for my burger... I asked if I could speak with the manager but he never came...

Edited by timorno

large sig = small penis

I really like the beer garden, nice view and very relaxing. Great food and reasonable prices too.

With the credit crunch and the downturn in the economy and higher prices, I can't wait to get out of the UK.

Give me Pattaya any day.

Good post Pete, sure high season will be busy as hell for despite the credit crunch..!!!

Enjoyed several afternoons and evenings in yourbar in August and looking forward to returning in December. just a couple of those great sunsets from the bar for you to enjoy.....

DSC02758.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

DSC02762.jpg

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

Did you ever feel that just by jumping on a plane, All your cares would drop away

And you'd be born again,Returning to a nature child,

Happy wild and free.

I only made it to the PBG once on my trip, but I have to say I was impressed. The staff were friendly, prompt and attentive. The open layout of the place was comforting and the idea that you are in a normal pub makes it that much more interesting when a freelancer hits on you.

I didn't order food, so I'll be saving that for next time. Thanks for the report, it's interesting to read the inside scoop.

My meals at Pattaya Beer Garden.

English Breakfast 120baht absolutly the best breks i had in Pats. On the second visit, i thought i'd tailor my meal. I asked for the eggs to be stabbed (how i like them) And no marmalade with toast as i wanted toast served with the main breakfast. This is what i got.

PBG.JPG

Got what i asked for. Perfect.

One evening Burger/Chips side salad 120baht, fantastic if slightly ruined by mosquito's eating my legs. Can't blame the bar for that.

The staff, absolute fookin tops. Service 100% to the point that they'd leave you alone if wanting but if you wanted attention, they'd be there in a sec. Appeciate though it was low season, i wonder how they manage when busy.

Truely worthy of repeat customers, thats why i was in their 3-4 times on my 15 day holiday, wished i'd found it earlier.

Couldn't recommend the place enuff.

ภรรยาไทยต้องà¸à¸²à¸£

I had an awesome experience at PBG when I was in Patts. I will be back again. The service time on the food was a bit slow but the wait staff definitely passed the time. Keep up the good work and look forward to stopping by again in February.

Edited by thezeeman

I never have visited your establishment but I have sampled your food.

Let me explain, I was in the beer bar complex directly in front of the PBG. I went into a bar I am regular at and asked the girls to get me some PAD THAI. They came back with food from your place. The food was good and plentiful.

Next time I will actually eat & drink inside the PBG.

Edited by limeister

LIMEISTER'S PATTAYA JOURNALS

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

MySpace Countdown Clocks

babydollsaddict.gif

Nice bar that it almost feels like an escape from pattaya. Make sure you don't lose the island feel to it if you start changing things.

Edited by herds

• 4 weeks later...
My meals at Pattaya Beer Garden.

English Breakfast 120baht absolutly the best breks i had in Pats. On the second visit, i thought i'd tailor my meal. I asked for the eggs to be stabbed (how i like them) And no marmalade with toast as i wanted toast served with the main breakfast. This is what i got.

PBG.JPG

Got what i asked for. Perfect.

One evening Burger/Chips side salad 120baht, fantastic if slightly ruined by mosquito's eating my legs. Can't blame the bar for that.

The staff, absolute fookin tops. Service 100% to the point that they'd leave you alone if wanting but if you wanted attention, they'd be there in a sec. Appeciate though it was low season, i wonder how they manage when busy.

Truely worthy of repeat customers, thats why i was in their 3-4 times on my 15 day holiday, wished i'd found it earlier.

Couldn't recommend the place enuff.

Cold toast, butter doesn't melt.

Not one to give Bar owners a rap. But this guy seems to know what customer service is about!

Have been in there for a beer and had a enjoyable relaxing time. All the best with the bar, me think your attitude to customers is what is needed in Patty bars. See you soon (don't even know the owner).

Daryle

Hi Pete

On my recent trip a few weeks ago I made a point of visiting your PBG for a few beers & to hopefully mix with the freelancers.

I was there on 3 separate occasions, twice on my own & once with a lady-friend who had not been there before. She was impressed with view & cool breeze at our table.

My observations - I didn't sample the food but only because I was not hungry - I did check out your menu though & it looked fab & reasonably priced. I note you have many favourable comments on your food.

The view of the seafront is awesome & to me that is your unique selling point. Your service staff were prompt, attentive, but not intrusive. I was there solo at 3pm & 6pm weekdays. I did not notice any obvious freelancers around, nor did I get to see your infamous beer mats (I didn't like to ask your staff about them though).

When I was with my Lady friend it woud be around midnight & again I did not notice any obvious freelancers - not a criticism, just my observations when I was there. I do take on board your comments on this & I don't have an answer; unless you consider "employing" freelancers. I guess one problem may be they have to initially buy their own drinks.

Would I return to PBG during my next trip - Hell YES! - the view is superfab from the tables by the edge - I've attached 2 of my pics.

And your toilets are clean & well maintained.

Best wishes

Tony

PICT0011.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

Edited by supertony

I'm with Zeeman. I'm definitely going to make a point to visit there often. Especially for the hot waitresses.

When life gives you lemons...

Fuck the lemons and grab a beer.

Read my trip report!

Pics