IGNORED

Tacos & Burritos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad about Sam's. His Quesadillas were really good and I used to get them all the time when I stayed at VT5. 

Tequila reef is nowhere near real Mex. But its edible. have a few of the hand mixed margaritas (which are expensive but very good) and it will taste great.

I wan intrigued by Sue's and will have to give it a try. Forgot to check it out this trip. Maybe Evil can do one of his awesome reports next time he gets a jones for Mexican food. 

Too bad about Sam's. His Quesadillas were really good and I used to get them all the time when I stayed at VT5. 

Tequila reef is nowhere near real Mex. But its edible. have a few of the hand mixed margaritas (which are expensive but very good) and it will taste great.

I wan intrigued by Sue's and will have to give it a try. Forgot to check it out this trip. Maybe Evil can do one of his awesome reports next time he gets a jones for Mexican food. 

the quesadilla in RMPM are better than sams were, but sams was the best mex I had in Thailand

might even have them for lunch today

quesada.JPG

Mikes is really the only decent Mexican food in Pattaya for those that know what it is supposed to taste like. Los Cabos in Bangkok was my favorite but unfortunately lost their lost their lease. La Monita is not bad.

Some mentioned Cactus ear;ier. I was wondering if they were part of a franchise? In LA there are at least three locations that i know of, they are very decent

the quesadilla in RMPM are better than sams were, but sams was the best mex I had in Thailand

might even have them for lunch today

attachicon.gifquesada.JPG

so why he he not relocate to a better location ? I am guessing not as good as many seemed to think as loyal supporters would have followed him for sure.

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Mikes is really the only decent Mexican food in Pattaya for those that know what it is supposed to taste like. Los Cabos in Bangkok was my favorite but unfortunately lost their lost their lease. La Monita is not bad.

Some mentioned Cactus ear;ier. I was wondering if they were part of a franchise? In LA there are at least three locations that i know of, they are very decent

No, Cactus is run by John who also moonlights catering to Thai-based movie sets.

so why he he not relocate to a better location ? I am guessing not as good as many seemed to think as loyal supporters would have followed him for sure.

who moved?

sams was in a shit location and closed or he would still be open.  RMPM has been in the same location forever as he owns his building

who moved?

sams was in a shit location and closed or he would still be open.  RMPM has been in the same location forever as he owns his building

Have to agree with Just Hanging, Sam's had the best mex in town, one problem was consistency when he wasn't there. His chicken was spiced correctly & the salsa was decent. His location was bad. 

...Sam's had the best mex in town... His location was bad. 

Usually that means the place was underfunded. Toss in the fact that there isn't a huge calling for Mexican food in Pattaya and I guess it doesn't really matter how good the product is.

• 4 weeks later...

I just heard Sam's closed. That is really unfortunate for me. Not only was the food great but Sam is a nice guy.

Usually that means the place was underfunded. Toss in the fact that there isn't a huge calling for Mexican food in Pattaya and I guess it doesn't really matter how good the product is.

when I used to tell people where it was they still could not find it.   I woud back him if he wants to open in a decent location, like next to PonR.  His food was good but the location was really bad

• 2 weeks later...

Had to make it myself, pain in the ass--so many components. Rice, meat, guacamole, salsa, pickled the jalapenos myself too.

Well, if there is no choice in pattaya, i'll try sues tomorrow. Hoping your advices are good...

I was born and raised in Los Angeles California, so I know my Mexican food...555, The "best" place for me currently is Mike's Mexican, sure it's not the same as a south west USA Mexican place but it's the best Pattaya has to offer, also their frozen margaritas hit the spot on a hot afternoon.

Nice pics, where did you eat ?

Had to make it myself, pain in the ass--so many components. Rice, meat, guacamole, salsa, pickled the jalapenos myself too.

Expatdude, you made them at home and felt the need to wrap them in aluminium foil?

I make pork tacos at home with my slow cooker, spices, corn tortillas and fresh cut toppings but never wrapped them in foil....555. 

Expatdude, you made them at home and felt the need to wrap them in aluminium foil?

I make pork tacos at home with my slow cooker, spices, corn tortillas and fresh cut toppings but never wrapped them in foil....555. 

It's a thing with burritos (not tacos) to wrap them in foil as a way of eating them by hand. Burritos have soft flour tortillas and are often very big. If not wrapped in foil, you'd need to eat with utensils because they'd fall apart and make a big mess. 

Some of the problems with Tacos and burritos here is the skimpy amount of salsa, sour cream and guac. Also no jalapenos and most salsa is too mild.

Getting takeaway and having your own jalapenos, hot salsa, sour cream etc. works good (all available locally). Maybe not so convenient for the short stay folks.

It's a thing with burritos (not tacos) to wrap them in foil as a way of eating them by hand. Burritos have soft flour tortillas and are often very big. If not wrapped in foil, you'd need to eat with utensils because they'd fall apart and make a big mess.

Exactly.

• 3 weeks later...

The best Mexican in Thailand is LaMonita in Bangkok.

Lately, I've been making tacos at home. Not bad.

Tortillas and salsa can be found in Villa Mkt.

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Smoking Joe's on Soi Lenkee has tacos now, their corn tortillas are hard shell, the cooks try to make the flour tortillas into hard shell shape (very lame)

The carne asada has very little flavor, al pastor & chicken are worse.

The pico de gallo is really well done. The guacamole is very good & the margaritas are almost as good as Mike's

So, carne asada flour tortillas with pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream & a margarita - pretty good stuff

Archived