News Bandit

Hepatitis outstrips AIDS, TB as killer: report

News Bandit

PARIS - Virus-caused hepatitis has become a leading cause of death and disability in the world, killing more people in a year than AIDS, tuberculosis or malaria, a report said Thursday.

View the full article

laserlube

Mongers beware: Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C can be transmitted sexually (though very rare).

In fact in the USA, Hepatitis C alone kills more americans each year than HIV. This has been the case since early 2000s.

https://consumer.healthday.com/senior-citizen-information-31/misc-aging-news-10/hepatitis-c-now-kills-more-americans-than-hiv-661965.html
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0504-hepc-mortality.html

Presently Hepatitis C kills more than 20,000 americans per year. 

There are an estimated 3.2 million americans with Hepatitis C, and half of them don't know they are infected. There are few or no symptoms.

Treatment is best done early to improve your chances of survival.

You can buy home self-test kits for Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C from this website.

willswing134

Strange, since HCV is mostly curable now

laserlube
On 6/8/2017 at 3:03 AM, willswing134 said:

Strange, since HCV is mostly curable now

because HCV treatment is incredibly hard...HCV treatment is expensive and the effectiveness is not 100%.
HCV destroys the liver.
In some cases, even if you get a liver transplant, there can be complications that lead to death.
Nasty huh?

GreyMan
On 2017-6-14 at 6:48 PM, laserlube said:

because HCV treatment is incredibly hard...HCV treatment is expensive and the effectiveness is not 100%.
HCV destroys the liver.
In some cases, even if you get a liver transplant, there can be complications that lead to death.
Nasty huh?

HCV treatment is not expensive. It's just expensive for those who have to pay the ridiculous prices set by Gilead.

For those who refuse to do so, it is not expensive. Perhaps the equivalent cost of a flight or short trip to Thailand.

Edited by GreyMan

ex-pat
On 6/15/2017 at 0:48 AM, laserlube said:

HCV destroys the liver.
Nasty huh?

Not so hard. Certainly not "incredibly hard". I was cured here about 3 years ago, and that was before Harvoni was available. Expensive, yes, 300,000+ at the time, a lot of that for various tests before and during treatment, Probably less now. Effectiveness of Harvoni is close to 100%. HCV, long term, often does cause cirrhosis, but everyone is different. I had it over 30 years and do have damage, but I'm still here!

The main source of Hep C infection by far is from contaminated syringes and needles.

Harry Brown
5 minutes ago, The Sculptor said:

Gee, thanks. If you hadn't told me people who already have it can't be helped by preventive measures, I never would have figured it out.  WTF?!

Usually your body clears the infection, but it's knocks you around a fair bit, a small percentage  people never clear it and can die from it B and C

I know with Hep B for those that their immune system can't clear it, drugs can only reduce the viral load but can't cure or clear it.

IMHO it's best to get inoculated 

The Sculptor

indeed... three months of undetectable viral load and a person is considered 'cured', but a very small amount may possibly remain, and I agree if inoculation is available and appropriate it is best to take advantage... thanks for the post harry

ex-pat
1 hour ago, GreyMan said:

That's no comfort to the people who already have it.

A friend of mine, a girl, not Thai, has just let me know that she has it and has no idea as to how she got it. Then the shock of the hospital suggesting the cost of treatment at 400,000 baht nearly killed her. They grudgingly gave her the name of the medicine needed once they were informed there was no way so could afford that, even though she had already spent more than 10,000 baht for blood tests with them. I guess they were already thinking about how they would spend the profits and were disappointed. 

A little research reduced the cost of the medicine to around 26,000 baht. So really not that expensive at all.

Are you talking about Harvoni? What price per tablet did you find, and from what country? Treatment length varies depending on whether or not cirrhosis is present which is not checked by blood test, but Fibroscan possibly along with other radiology tests. You need to know that before estimating the cost of the meds. These meds are extremely powerful. I suppose if there is no choice one could self-medicate, but at least 2 MRIs are generally performed along with a number of other expensive tests before and during treatment. After as well,  but personally I opted out of most of those. Didn't see the point. 

There is no vaccine for Hep C. I assume that is what you are talking about Hep C here, not B. There is a vaccine for B.

Edited by ex-pat

ex-pat
On 6/8/2017 at 1:02 AM, laserlube said:

Mongers beware: Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C can be transmitted sexually (though very rare).

In fact in the USA, Hepatitis C alone kills more americans each year than HIV. This has been the case since early 2000s.

https://consumer.healthday.com/senior-citizen-information-31/misc-aging-news-10/hepatitis-c-now-kills-more-americans-than-hiv-661965.html
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0504-hepc-mortality.html

Presently Hepatitis C kills more than 20,000 americans per year. 

There are an estimated 3.2 million americans with Hepatitis C, and half of them don't know they are infected. There are few or no symptoms.

Treatment is best done early to improve your chances of survival.

You can buy home self-test kits for Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C from this website.

No test listed for Hep C

laserlube
5 minutes ago, ex-pat said:

No test listed for Hep C

Yes, we're planning to add Hep C to our website next week. Thanks for being one step ahead of us. Or if you email us about it now, you can order it.

ex-pat
2 minutes ago, laserlube said:

Yes, we're planning to add Hep C to our website next week. Thanks for being one step ahead of us. Or if you email us about it now, you can order it.

Ah, I had no idea it was your site/business. I was just comparing your post to the site list :).

laserlube
7 hours ago, ex-pat said:

Not so hard. Certainly not "incredibly hard". I was cured here about 3 years ago, and that was before Harvoni was available. Expensive, yes, 300,000+ at the time, a lot of that for various tests before and during treatment, Probably less now. Effectiveness of Harvoni is close to 100%. HCV, long term, often does cause cirrhosis, but everyone is different. I had it over 30 years and do have damage, but I'm still here!

Congratulations for surviving Hepatitis C. Consider yourself among the lucky ones.

I would still consider treatment for Hep C "incredibly hard" and "expensive", esp in comparison to treatments for the other easily curable STDs like gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis. 

If I'm not wrong, it was only until fairly recently that treatments for Hep C that are near 100% effective were developed. 

Harvoni, approved by FDA 2014
http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/news/20141010/hepatitis-c-combo-pill#1

COMPARE:
Harvoni - 8-12 weeks treatment ($94,500 for 12 weeks - Gilead or as "The Sculptor" said, 25,000 baht for a cheaper alternative)
Gonorrhea - single dose or 1 week course ($10-20 for single shot)

Not everyone has harvoni and there are those who have side effects after treatment.

The worst thing is the chance of the Hep C virus coming back - for 95% of people who underwent a liver transplant because of Hep C related conditions, the virus came back and re-infected their liver.
Source: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/recurrence-of-hepatitis-c-virus-infection-following-liver-transplantation

GreyMan
2 hours ago, ex-pat said:

Are you talking about Harvoni? What price per tablet did you find, and from what country? Treatment length varies depending on whether or not cirrhosis is present which is not checked by blood test, but Fibroscan possibly along with other radiology tests. You need to know that before estimating the cost of the meds. These meds are extremely powerful. I suppose if there is no choice one could self-medicate, but at least 2 MRIs are generally performed along with a number of other expensive tests before and during treatment. After as well,  but personally I opted out of most of those. Didn't see the point. 

There is no vaccine for Hep C. I assume that is what you are talking about Hep C here, not B. There is a vaccine for B.

Harvoni is just a brand name, as you are probably aware. So no I am not referring to HARVONI®.

But I am referring to ledipasvir 90 mg/sofosbuvir 400 mg...

The tests have already been carried out, so it would be medicine and monitoring. Both of those things can be obtained undertaken at considerably less cost than the usurious rates charged by US institutions.

Expensive only because there is no regulation in the USA as to what they can charge. So they charge ridiculous rates. 

But the actual raw ingredients are ludicrously inexpensive. In fact remove the patent cost and you can produce the medicine for US$122 per treatment course(twelve weeks).

That is no typo.

Right now you can obtain the medicine needed for a lot less than U$1000 and in some cases half of that.

I'm not going to link to anyone or anywhere in particular, as suffers should do their research and due diligence. There are many options open to them.

ex-pat
Just now, laserlube said:

Congratulations for surviving Hepatitis C. Consider yourself among the lucky ones.

I would still consider treatment for Hep C "incredibly hard" and "expensive", esp in comparison to treatments for the other easily curable STDs like gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis. 

If I'm not wrong, it was only until fairly recently that treatments for Hep C that are near 100% effective were developed. 

COMPARE:
Harvoni - 8-12 weeks treatment ($94,500 for 12 weeks - Gilead or as "The Sculptor" said, 25,000 baht for a cheaper alternative)

Not everyone has harvoni and there are those who have side effects after treatment.

The worst thing is the chance of the Hep C virus coming back - for 95% of people who underwent a liver transplant because of Hep C related conditions, the virus came back and re-infected their liver.
Source: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/recurrence-of-hepatitis-c-virus-infection-following-liver-transplantation

Oh, I do consider myself extremely lucky.  A few more years and it would have been too late. Compared to STDs, yeah, a tougher regimen and far more expensive one, but Hep C is not generally considered to be an STD (I'm not going to nitpick on that further). Compared to say cancer, the treatment, especially now that Interferon is no longer required, is not a difficult one to bear.

I have not followed the developments of meds for Hep C closely for several years. No need to, but I was surprised to read of alternates to Harvoni. The last I heard,a deal had been made for local production with Gilead, but it was not going to be anywhere close to only 25K, and also there were no generics anywhere close to that also. I was actually treated with a generic from Bangladesh - and as I said, total treatment cost was over 300,000 baht. Now, my info may well be out of date. I'm very curious about this 25K alternative.

GreyMan
7 minutes ago, laserlube said:

COMPARE:

The Sculptor said/wrote nothing of the sort. It was I who wrote 26,000 baht. Not for a cheaper alternative, but for exactly the same thing. 

Hep C is not just sexually transmitted and as I illustrated above, the treatment is relatively inexpensive, but Gilead has bills to pay, including having to pay Merck US$2.54 billion for infringing their patent in producing Sovaldi and Harvoni.

ex-pat
12 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

Harvoni is just a brand name, as you are probably aware. So no I am not referring to HARVONI®.

But I am referring to ledipasvir 90 mg/sofosbuvir 400 mg...

The tests have already been carried out, so it would be medicine and monitoring. Both of those things can be obtained undertaken at considerably less cost than the usurious rates charged by US institutions.

Expensive only because there is no regulation in the USA as to what they can charge. So they charge ridiculous rates. 

But the actual raw ingredients are ludicrously inexpensive. In fact remove the patent cost and you can produce the medicine for US$122 per treatment course(twelve weeks).

That is no typo.

Right now you can obtain the medicine needed for a lot less than U$1000 and in some cases half of that.

I'm not going to link to anyone or anywhere in particular, as suffers should do their research and due diligence. There are many options open to them.

>> Right now you can obtain the medicine needed for a lot less than U$1000 and in some cases half of that.

$1,000? That was the original price per tablet! The absolute minimum course of treatment is 12 weeks at one per day. 84 tablets. Are you saying generics are available for around $500 for 84 tablets? 6 bucks??

EDIT: OK - I see you are saying $122 for 84 tablets. Great news, if true.

Edited by ex-pat

GreyMan
1 minute ago, ex-pat said:

>> Right now you can obtain the medicine needed for a lot less than U$1000 and in some cases half of that.

$1,000? That was the original price per tablet! The absolute minimum course of treatment is 12 weeks at one per day. 84 tablets. Are you saying generics are available for around $500 for 84 tablets? 6 bucks??

I can tell you that my friend is paying US$750 for her full course and there are options to go cheaper than that. But she is happy with her current recommendation.

ex-pat
Just now, GreyMan said:

I can tell you that my friend is paying US$750 for her full course and there are options to go cheaper than that. But she is happy with her current recommendation.

That's great news. Good to hear. 

laserlube
3 hours ago, ex-pat said:

Hep C is not generally considered to be an STD (I'm not going to nitpick on that further).

You're right, in many cases, Hep C is not classified as an STD. In fact, Wikipedia even claims that whether Hep C can be sexually transmitted or not is debatable. However CDC says Hep C can be sexually transmitted, although sexual transmission is rare. But I'd rather go along with CDC than Wikipedia, if you ask me.

CDC is more authoritative than Wikipedia, lol.

Harry Brown
20 hours ago, laserlube said:

You're right, in many cases, Hep C is not classified as an STD. In fact, Wikipedia even claims that whether Hep C can be sexually transmitted or not is debatable. However CDC says Hep C can be sexually transmitted, although sexual transmission is rare. But I'd rather go along with CDC than Wikipedia, if you ask me.

CDC is more authoritative than Wikipedia, lol.

I was talking with my doctor about this and his comment was "I don't know why Hep C is grouped with other STD's as he reckons it's not really transmitted that way. More needle sharing etc.

ricktoronto
On 17/06/2017 at 7:19 PM, GreyMan said:

HCV treatment is not expensive. It's just expensive for those who have to pay the ridiculous prices set by Gilead.

For those who refuse to do so, it is not expensive. Perhaps the equivalent cost of a flight or short trip to Thailand.

Quite affordable via India. There is an Australian chap with a website devoted to how to get the equivalent of Solvadi for 1/20th the price via India. Hell, even with a trip to India it's quite accessible, if one had to.

Harry Brown
14 hours ago, GreyMan said:

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ok fellas enough said, leave it there and stay on topic.

GreyMan
2 hours ago, ricktoronto said:

Quite affordable via India. There is an Australian chap with a website devoted to how to get the equivalent of Solvadi for 1/20th the price via India. Hell, even with a trip to India it's quite accessible, if one had to.

Perhaps the one to which I linked in post #24. It's a lot less than 1/20th of the US price.