IGNORED

Holiday Inn Express coming to Buakhao

davidge

BTW, generally speaking, the use of points at the Holiday Inn Express in Pattaya is NOT a great "value."  Better off paying for the room instead of using the 20,000 IHG points per night.

Although points can be acquired much cheaper (PM me for details), at the rate above, those 20,000 points would cost far more than the room would cost.

• Like 2

IHG points are not at 1 to 1 ratio.

Most points are a penny a point.  Chase UR is 1.5 cents per point redemption value.

The Points Guy (TPG) estimates IHG points at 0.0055 to 0.0060

120,000 IHG points is worth less about $660. 

120,000 UR points is worth $1,800.

From my credit card analysis:

o6KilW4.jpg

IHG Analysis, and why I don't bother with IHG for points:

wJnfv5y.jpg

• Like 1

I actually have both Chase IHG cards -- the $49 annual fee card (no longer available) gets me a free annual night and a 10% rebate on points redeemed.  The current card (IHG Premier) gets me another annual free night certificate + the 4th night free on redeemed stays of 4 nights for an $89 annual fee.

2 free nights at the InterContinental in Pattaya for $69 a night is pretty damn good.

The 4th night free and 10% rebate also combine to get me great deals -- for my 4 night upcoming stay on points at the InterContinental, I'm looking at 105,000 IHG points.  The 10% rebate takes it down to 94,500 points.  At .0055 per point, that is $519.75 for 4 nights for about $130 a night, fully refundable.  You're not gonna beat that rate at that hotel.

Now....that said:
 - Holiday Inn Express in Pattaya at 20,000 IHG points per night  generally is NOT a good "value" play.  Even with the 4th night free, that's still the equivalent of $82.50, so probably better off paying for it.
 - Holiday Inn in Pattaya at 25,000 IHG points per night is an okay play with the card, as it comes down to 18,750 effective points or about $103 per night.  Not bad for a fully refundable rate.
 - InterContinental in Pattaya at 35,000 IHG points is an okay value if you have the IHG card.  Setting aside the 10% rebate that I get, it comes down to 26,250 or $145.  Not bad for a fully refundable rate.

• Like 2

Great info. Now that you guys point it out, there is not much value to the points in Pattaya. My buddy's company has him living at a Marriot. He racks up tons of points. He was really disappointed when I told him that the Marriot changed ownership a few years ago. 

I appreciate you sharing the information. I will follow up with a review in about  5 days or so. Will head to the airport in a few hours. 

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I actually have both Chase IHG cards

Yes, but I consider the marginal difference.

Every time you use you're IHG, you're not using your CSR.  So, whatever points you earn are offset by the points you would have earned using another card.

I'm pretty much getting a 4.5% return on travel and dining using the CSR, and 2.25% on the Freedom Unlimited - each redeeming on the UR site.

I look at each card in keepper mode.

I don't believe in churning.

Looking at the IHG cards in "keeper mode", I don't see a good annual return (in comparison to the CSR / AmEx Platinum) omitting the sign-up bonus and first year freebies. 

Looking at this place or Acqua for New Year trip.  I've stayed in Acqua before and price is much and such although you can redeem hotels.com nights here.  Presumably given the location it must be guest friendly?

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 02:10, Luv2Phuket said:

I actually have both Chase IHG cards -- the $49 annual fee card (no longer available) gets me a free annual night and a 10% rebate on points redeemed.  The current card (IHG Premier) gets me another annual free night certificate + the 4th night free on redeemed stays of 4 nights for an $89 annual fee.

2 free nights at the InterContinental in Pattaya for $69 a night is pretty damn good.

The 4th night free and 10% rebate also combine to get me great deals -- for my 4 night upcoming stay on points at the InterContinental, I'm looking at 105,000 IHG points.  The 10% rebate takes it down to 94,500 points.  At .0055 per point, that is $519.75 for 4 nights for about $130 a night, fully refundable.  You're not gonna beat that rate at that hotel.

Now....that said:
 - Holiday Inn Express in Pattaya at 20,000 IHG points per night  generally is NOT a good "value" play.  Even with the 4th night free, that's still the equivalent of $82.50, so probably better off paying for it.
 - Holiday Inn in Pattaya at 25,000 IHG points per night is an okay play with the card, as it comes down to 18,750 effective points or about $103 per night.  Not bad for a fully refundable rate.
 - InterContinental in Pattaya at 35,000 IHG points is an okay value if you have the IHG card.  Setting aside the 10% rebate that I get, it comes down to 26,250 or $145.  Not bad for a fully refundable rate.

Agree with all you said.

It is odd that they want 2,000 points for a room. I wonder if they need to sell a certain number of rooms for cash before it becomes worthwhile for them to offer a good points price? Or if they figure that being lower than the HI on Beach Rd is good enough? Because I'd definitely pay cash over the points price. I hope they drop the points rate to 1,500.

When in BKK it's always a good idea to check the points vs cash price too. Sometimes HI Express Siam is a great deal on points, while being more expensive than the others cash.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2019 at 00:14, striderman said:

while nosing round the south of south pattaya i thought i'd check on the express inn site there

1407296703_april22028(Custom).JPG.17caeb7304a599032426a378daa94543.JPG

nope. zippo. except i think the piling has been done years ago now

80466138_april22027(Custom).JPG.2f3cb82a389156d15f830bb5c9c16eda.JPG

Where is this?

Just now, Njaya said:

Where is this?

south pattaya the road out towards jomtien before the flyover. but the site is idle, and the buakaow 1 took 3 years to build

Edited by striderman

7 minutes ago, striderman said:

south pattaya the road out towards jomtien before the flyover. but the site is idle, and the buakaow 1 took 3 years to build

I wasn't aware of that one. 

1645867526_22aug001(Custom).JPG.84a6234a5a67dbfcb6b80325c1bcb0f8.JPG

that price might be plus tax  plus service and breakfast INCLUDED not exactly free

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/08/2019 at 07:28, RICK36 said:

Will head to the airport in a few hours. 

RICK36, any reviews now? I am particulary interested about room size and (sunny?) pool...

Just now, filipef said:

RICK36, any reviews now? I am particulary interested about room size and (sunny?) pool...

the pool is on the roof with no higher buildings around

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filipef said:

22 reviews on TripAdvisor, with an impressive 5  out of 5 rating - 
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293919-d17497754-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Express_Pattaya_Central-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Comes up as #1 "Best Value hotel" option in Pattaya

• Like 1

Well I did have a good stay at Holiday Inn Express. The standard room was not huge but I still felt it was comfortable. It is guest friendly. I did not try to bring a second lady so I can't comment on that. Upon returning with my guest they had you sign a form ( waiver) and they also made her sign before taking her ID. Initial price was 1102 on the booking but service fees and taxes brought it up to 1300 per night with 1000 baht deposit at check in. The sign out front did say 1500, so maybe better to book online than walk in. Staff was very professional and courteous. I'm usually a budget hotel guy, so it was almost too professional for me. You could tell some staff members were very excited about their jobs. Great atmosphere. Large dining area with a good breakfast buffet, breakfast included. Pool looked good, but not huge. Gym looked very small. A few cardio machines and some dumbbells. 

One complaint I had was I think they are still finishing the upper floors. I was on the 4th floor, and somebody started using a  loud hammerdrill above my room. I had planned on a nap but gave up after 20 minutes. I was hoping the worker would stop making noise. I just headed out for a late lunch. I had no other disturbances.

Bed was very comfortable with extra pillows, should have been a king size instead of a Queen. Safe was big enough for most laptops. Kettle with coffee and tea. Fridge was very small. Large flat screen TV , but disappointed that it was not a smart TV. There was a great rain shower head in the shower. Good pressure. Problem was the shower head is past the small glass partition, so the floor gets soaked just like most every other Thai bathroom.

In short I would stay there again. If I needed a balcony or didn't like the size of the room I would skip it. It is a hell of a lot better value than the regular Hilton in my opinion.

On 22/08/2019 at 08:59, Luv2Phuket said:

22 reviews on TripAdvisor, with an impressive 5  out of 5 rating - 

Funny how so many of the people giving those reviews have only that one review on Trip Advisor to their name...

4 hours ago, briguy said:

Funny how so many of the people giving those reviews have only that one review on Trip Advisor to their name...

I noticed that too. But i believe it is a nice hotel, as RICK36 said.

I will give it a miss, though. Rooms are too small for me (20m2) and pool area also too small for me. They have 240 rooms and only 5 sunbeds for that area.

On 22/08/2019 at 22:59, Luv2Phuket said:

I haven't stayed there but the size of the rooms and the price I would say D hotel beats it hands down and is closer to Central Festival. The breakfast might tip the scales though if it's any good.

• Like 1

I just booked here, cant beat The value at 1025thb a night including breakfast imo. For a newish room I found it to be. A good value. Lets see what I think after my stays :)

too bad they only seem to have standard rooms no bigger ones or suites 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 08:58, RICK36 said:

Well I did have a good stay at Holiday Inn Express. The standard room was not huge but I still felt it was comfortable. It is guest friendly. I did not try to bring a second lady so I can't comment on that. Upon returning with my guest they had you sign a form ( waiver) and they also made her sign before taking her ID. Initial price was 1102 on the booking but service fees and taxes brought it up to 1300 per night with 1000 baht deposit at check in. The sign out front did say 1500, so maybe better to book online than walk in. Staff was very professional and courteous. I'm usually a budget hotel guy, so it was almost too professional for me. You could tell some staff members were very excited about their jobs. Great atmosphere. Large dining area with a good breakfast buffet, breakfast included. Pool looked good, but not huge. Gym looked very small. A few cardio machines and some dumbbells. 

One complaint I had was I think they are still finishing the upper floors. I was on the 4th floor, and somebody started using a  loud hammerdrill above my room. I had planned on a nap but gave up after 20 minutes. I was hoping the worker would stop making noise. I just headed out for a late lunch. I had no other disturbances.

Bed was very comfortable with extra pillows, should have been a king size instead of a queen. Safe was big enough for most laptops. Kettle with coffee and tea. Fridge was very small. Large flat screen TV , but disappointed that it was not a smart TV. There was a great rain shower head in the shower. Good pressure. Problem was the shower head is past the small glass partition, so the floor gets soaked just like most every other Thai bathroom.

In short I would stay there again. If I needed a balcony or didn't like the size of the room I would skip it. It is a hell of a lot better value than the regular Hilton in my opinion.

They use keylocks or the card locks here? Assuming the latter but wanted to check

• 1 month later...

Nice video review - thanks for posting!

One thing I would add/correct - he mentions getting IHG points for staying there, but (I think) he also says that he got a great rate on a booking website.  Generally speaking, if you use Agoda, Bookings.com, Priceline, etc., I think that you do NOT earn hotel reward points.

Not that it makes a difference, but, if the rates are comparable/close and you want the IHG points, it is probably better to book it via their website.

• Like 2

Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard.

Otherwise, you will get a room with no view, looking directly at another large building.

the good news the whack a mole foundations on the building site nearby are almost done.................

846255249_9oct005(Custom).JPG.8e3f5b38d604a9712c32e2dba2d3294f.JPG

the holiday inn express is the building in the background................inc courtyard