IGNORED

How to improve your Caddy experience in Thailand

maxtroy

For the record I am not happy being forced to take a caddy when golfing in Thailand . I would gladly support courses that made caddies optional but I don't know of any and do not see that happening in the foreseeable future . 

To avoid getting burned in the caddy lottery I have started making my wishes known to the caddy master upon arrival at the course .

WHen I get out of the vehicle I let them know I do not want a male caddy . I don't enjoy their company and find they do not "take care "

like the ladies .

Next I tell the caddy master , with a smile , I want a happy caddy with a nice smile . This usually stops the caddy master in his/her tracks and gives me a chance to make eye contact with the caddies nearby and I will announce to them who is happy and have a nice smile. The first one to smile usually gets the nod and i tell her to grab my golf bag ,

I have started to develop a list of caddies that I will prebook on return visits becasue this selection process usually gets me one I will  book in future visits ..

Another helpful tip I learned is instead of buying her a drink at the first watering hole I give her 50 baht to buy her own drink / Most times the 50 doesn't come back out of her pocket .

If they can be helpful on the course it is a bonus but I believe the golfer should golf and the caddy  in Thailand ,should be pleasant company .  Nothing more irritating than getting stuck with a sour puss for 5 hours who has no fucking idea of what you are saying.

I think the answer is to book your caddies once you know them, downside to this is you don't meet new ones who could be fun and or attractive. If you do book them you usually need to pay more. I don't bother with buying them drinks lark, they don't need it they have their own drinks and ice. It's a losing battle, hopefully the law will change one day, the only way round it is play less.

I like the caddies because they find your ball, take care of your bag, give the club you ask for etc.

I walk the course and have a chat with my fellow golfers while the caddy they care of "everything".

Most of the time they are nice company and if you have luck they can help you on the course and on the green.

No problem with caddies!

Repairing Divets--Carrying an Umbrella--Finding Lost Balls---If there were No Caddys I would Not even Play golf

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Make caddies optional, then everyone's happy..maybe not the caddies..

The OP sounds like a prick.

90 % of the time I book a caddy who I know & have used before. Always stop at a 7-11 on the way to golf & get 4 bags of that fish snack at the princely sum of 19 baht a pack. Pick up a couple of bottles of some of that Green Tea for about 15 baht or whatever it is, cost usually comes out at around 110 baht depending on what I get. Throw that in the golf bag & the girls dive in on the first t, no problems have nice day. If i can't drop 110 baht a round on that I can't afford to play.

Nearly all the time it is reciprocated with one of the girls having some mango & chilli or some such Thai snack which they are always more that willing to share.

Once you get to know the caddies you find the ones you like.

I have regular caddies at all the courses I play.

Couple of years old, but 300 at Laem Chabang, beautiful young lady, perfect skin, good caddy and a Tom, taped up chest etc etc.

301,302 I think were a mother daughter combo, daughter was lovely but mum was a right MILF and knew it, flirting and flaunting off her ample cleavage.

On the opposite side to this, none of the above liked 299 and did not talk to her for 4.5hrs. :LOL2:  

Bit of a question. Where's a good starting point for a golf newbie (to Thailand golf). Any recommendations welcome.

Bit of a question. Where's a good starting point for a golf newbie (to Thailand golf). Any recommendations welcome.

Check out http://www.thepattayagolfsociety.org/ .

They operate out of Links bar on Soi Buakhao and have a few Japanese members that play with them when in Pattaya on holiday .

I find ALL caddies are happy and smiling.  Maybe it's because of how they are treated.

In response to the above my solution is:

Don't be an asshole and curse and throw clubs

Dont' blame the caddy for my crap shots

Treat them like humans

It has been a long time since I had a caddy that wasn't smiling and doing his/her best to make my life easier on the golf course.  And I don't care if the caddy is male.  I just tell them no joop if I make a birdie and that always gets a chuckle.   :GoldenSmile1:

I enjoy golf with a good caddie but I've never requested a particular caddie. I like one that knows the course and is friendly and courteous. Looks are unimportant as is whether they're male or female. I've had a couple of bad ones but not many. I never blame my poor play on them. It's great having them find my frequent errant shots, rake the traps, mark and clean the ball on the green as well as give their opinion on reading the green. A good caddie enhances the experience for me. The few bad caddies I've had get a zero tip and a complaint to the pro shop.

I enjoy golf with a good caddie but I've never requested a particular caddie. I like one that knows the course and is friendly and courteous. Looks are unimportant as is whether they're male or female. I've had a couple of bad ones but not many. I never blame my poor play on them. It's great having them find my frequent errant shots, rake the traps, mark and clean the ball on the green as well as give their opinion on reading the green. A good caddie enhances the experience for me. The few bad caddies I've had get a zero tip and a complaint to the pro shop.

Unless they made no effort or were outright rude you might rethink complaining in the pro shop.  It can get them suspended without pay for a month or more.  We think in western terms where the caddy would be given a warning by management and maybe remedial training.  It doesn't work that way and these (mostly) girls are really at the mercy of us, the men running the golf course, etc.

As for no tip, I would also be careful about that.  In some low season periods there are too many caddies and not enough golfers so they rotate through.  They might get 1-2 rounds a week and that tip money is the majority of their income.  

I don't condone behavior where they don't try or appear unhappy to be there.  And sometimes they merit the pain of a suspension.  But give it thought about how much impact a relatively casual decision on your part can have in their life.

I've only complained to the pro shop once. She was on her phone most of the time. I even pulled the cart much of the time. The other 3 caddies encouraged me to speak to the staff about her. Apparently she had sucked as a caddie for some time. As for tipping for sub-par service I just don't do it. If you want a tip, do your job. Period. I don't feel one bit bad about not encouraging shitty service.

I've only complained to the pro shop once. She was on her phone most of the time. I even pulled the cart much of the time. The other 3 caddies encouraged me to speak to the staff about her. Apparently she had sucked as a caddie for some time. As for tipping for sub-par service I just don't do it. If you want a tip, do your job. Period. I don't feel one bit bad about not encouraging shitty service.

Good on you.  Pay for service not just because someone shows up to collect their money. 

Thanks a lot guys.

what a cheery post. I view it as part of the pattaya experience. When ever i get to the course as part of a group i make sure that i try not to influence which caddy i am given. The caddies work for a pittance and i love the fact that they get my clubs for me, give me accurate reading of yardage, constantly maintain and repair the golf course, and i am likely to spend 4 and a half hours practising my pigeon thai on them! I never rely on them on reading a green although usually there will be one among the group with a really good knowledge of the course.

I find the golf a humbling experience mixing the magnificence of the scenery with contrasting views of how poor these people are if they need to work for a day on a golf course being paid peanuts. There is nothing more depressing that playing golf with someone who seems to has the same attitude towards the caddies as the op on this topic. It does make me think why do these people with such negativity to the local population and the way of life in Thailand, ever bother visiting the country. Surely things are better on their own golf courses back home!

I would never play golf in Thailand without a caddie....it's half the fun with 4 little cuties to flirt with .....and I've managed to bed 4 of them over the past 6 or 7 years.

I'm not sure if the OP can just go and select a caddie of his choice....my experience with the golf clubs is that if you don't have a specific caddie booked you take the next one(s) off the rank. 

My advice to anyone starting out on golfing trips to Pattaya is , if you intend to do it every year (twice a year is better), take your pot luck at every course as you must do, but start taking notice of other caddies around you and write down their numbers. When you return and book , just request the numbers you require.

Works for me and my group after 14 trips.

What I HAVE found is these caddies...like most Thai girls, have memories like a Siam elephant. I've had the same caddie for a couple of trips and then for some reason I changed to another one and, jeeezuz, if the first one finds out, worlds collide.

I had a caddie call me once and say "if you change caddie, you die"

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

I would never play golf in Thailand without a caddie....it's half the fun with 4 little cuties to flirt with .....and I've managed to bed 4 of them over the past 6 or 7 years.

I'm not sure if the OP can just go and select a caddie of his choice....my experience with the golf clubs is that if you don't have a specific caddie booked you take the next one(s) off the rank. 

My advice to anyone starting out on golfing trips to Pattaya is , if you intend to do it every year (twice a year is better), take your pot luck at every course as you must do, but start taking notice of other caddies around you and write down their numbers. When you return and book , just request the numbers you require.

Works for me and my group after 14 trips.

What I HAVE found is these caddies...like most Thai girls, have memories like a Siam elephant. I've had the same caddie for a couple of trips and then for some reason I changed to another one and, jeeezuz, if the first one finds out, worlds collide.

I had a caddie call me once and say "if you change caddie, you die"

The main point of my post was to let people know that they do not have to take the next one in line when there are several waiting to go out .

For those that have little knowledge of Thailand caddies make up to 100% over the average daily wage . Caddy fee;s are pushing 350 baht . I tip 

300 baht and give them 50 baht for a drink which is 700 baht . On the rare occassion of a birdie there is an additional 50 baht tip . Now on top of that I , like many people , always take a buggy . So for 5 hours of drivng a buggy they hav a guarenteed 700+ baht and  the toughest exertion is lifting my golf bag onto to the buggy . If anyone knows of an easier  relatively well paying job that doesn't involve sex please let me know . 

Not every caddy works everyday only the smart ones who get booked regularly because they understand customer service.

In exchange I want to look at a pleasant face with a helpful attitude  . The grunting thing is funny the first year but  wears thin after 5 or 6 years of

it . The caddies that have made an effort to learn some English are a treat  . I know many golfers have very , very low expectations of their caddies but I am not one of them .  I know Thai's that work for 300 baht a day in the fields or on construction sites and lament the fact there is no golf course near them to have an easier life .

The luck of the draw means you get some old lady whose face has had too much fun and you are paying to spend the day with her . Fuck that.

The luck of the draw means you get a guy caddy and sometimes they know their stuff but I already have a  bunch a guys I;m spending the day 

with and prefer a females company . My money my choice .

I have developed a list of pleasant caddies I book .  I just want to dispel the myth you have to take the next one in line because that's how

the undesirables keep getting work .

The main point of my post was to let people know that they do not have to take the next one in line when there are several waiting to go out .

For those that have little knowledge of Thailand caddies make up to 100% over the average daily wage . Caddy fee;s are pushing 350 baht . I tip 

300 baht and give them 50 baht for a drink which is 700 baht . On the rare occassion of a birdie there is an additional 50 baht tip . Now on top of that I , like many people , always take a buggy . So for 5 hours of drivng a buggy they hav a guarenteed 700+ baht and  the toughest exertion is lifting my golf bag onto to the buggy . If anyone knows of an easier  relatively well paying job that doesn't involve sex please let me know . 

Not every caddy works everyday only the smart ones who get booked regularly because they understand customer service.

In exchange I want to look at a pleasant face with a helpful attitude  . The grunting thing is funny the first year but  wears thin after 5 or 6 years of

it . The caddies that have made an effort to learn some English are a treat  . I know many golfers have very , very low expectations of their caddies but I am not one of them .  I know Thai's that work for 300 baht a day in the fields or on construction sites and lament the fact there is no golf course near them to have an easier life .

The luck of the draw means you get some old lady whose face has had too much fun and you are paying to spend the day with her . Fuck that.

The luck of the draw means you get a guy caddy and sometimes they know their stuff but I already have a  bunch a guys I;m spending the day 

with and prefer a females company . My money my choice .

I have developed a list of pleasant caddies I book .  I just want to dispel the myth you have to take the next one in line because that's how

the undesirables keep getting work .

I don't profess to be an expert on this but I'm pretty sure if you rock up to a golf club for golf there's usually 4 caddies waiting.

If you're by yourself you can certainly choose one from this group, but if you're in a group of 4 guys these caddies will mill around and grab whatever bag is given to them. You can , if you're quick enough, grab the one you like the look of.

Pretty sure if you bypass this group and try to get another one out of the caddie shack that is frowned upon and I wouldn't recommend or condone it.

I will stand corrected, but if this is the case, you would see the the less than attractive caddies getting little or no work.

Personally some of my best caddies, and I'm talking about personality more than golf knowledge, have been the plain chubby ones.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

Last trip we had a game at Greenwood, no caddies that day as they were booked out on some tournament. We had to pull our own clubs, it was bliss, we loved it, saved 650 baht, round was much quicker. If only it was optional, please god make it so.

I don't profess to be an expert on this but I'm pretty sure if you rock up to a golf club for golf there's usually 4 caddies waiting.

If you're by yourself you can certainly choose one from this group, but if you're in a group of 4 guys these caddies will mill around and grab whatever bag is given to them. You can , if you're quick enough, grab the one you like the look of.

Pretty sure if you bypass this group and try to get another one out of the caddie shack that is frowned upon and I wouldn't recommend or condone it.

I will stand corrected, but if this is the case, you would see the the less than attractive caddies getting little or no work.

Personally some of my best caddies, and I'm talking about personality more than golf knowledge, have been the plain chubby ones.

Agreed. There are many  opportunities  to get the one you prefer but if the selection isn't there then you pretty much have to take what you get  . As I said earlier the point of the post is to let people know they have choices .  Doesn't really matter whether you like slim , medium or large as long as you get what makes your day better . There is a  caddy at Royal Lakeside that has the most lovely bottom and I am pleased if someone in my foursome gets her as a caddy because it is delightful to see her walking in front of me . However I would not book her as a caddy becasue she knows she can get away with the bare minumum as long as she struts that money maker 555.

I've got a caddy I book who is a grandmother and great company . Glasses of ice are suppled for your beverage at rest stops, she uses your real name at every opportunity instead of the patented "Mita, Mita , Mita " . If you carry a towel to dry your hands she offers it before each tee off . Although we are in a  cart the umbrella comes out for shade at tee off and on the greens. This to me is basic caddy service that should be the rule,

Fact is most of them don't think of themselves as professional caddies with good reason . Again I speak for the majority that I have come into contact with over several years . They don't read greens they learn by watching putts day after day . week over week , year over year . How many time has a caddy told you to aim 2 cups to the right while she is just getting out of the cart she parked 40 yards from the green ? How many times have you ended up in a bunker to the right of the green because you couldn't see it from 180 yards out but she didn't bother to mention it was there . I mean the list goes on and on of how truly unhelpful they can be when it comes to golf  .   Ever go out of bounds because the caddy didn't bother to mention there was out of bounds 555 . 

I have come to realize that any golfing info they can give you is a bonus . What I don't want to accept is them putting in their time to get a relatively good days wage , that I payed for , without doing the basic stuff to make my day more pleasant . 

This means taking "care"  of the little things to make your day more enjoyable and getting a feeling that she is concerned you enjoy yourself . I expect a cross between a domestic helper , repairing the divot I leave in the fairway and keeping my clubs clean , a waitress serving up cold drinks and handing me my club of choice and a hostess to make sure I am comfortable be it with an umbrella or a towel  .. All for a decent days pay in this country . I don't need the sexual innuendo and banter but welcome it as it is entertaining . I have no intention of bringing a caddy back to my room but if others want to partake more power to them it's just not for me .

I listen to advice on putts but if I miss it is my fault not the caddies . I will tell them I expect to be told , on every hole , where ther is OB , Bunkers and water and this has greatly reduced the surprise hazard .  

I treat caddies with the same respect I treat my playing partners , Regretably I have slipped once or twice by making a less than complimentary comment to a playing partner about a caddies poor performance assuming the caddy didn't speak any English only to find out later they understood what I said . Very embarrassing to me and a valuable lesson learned ..

Golf is about having fun and improves when you are with like minded golfers and caddies .

I

Last trip we had a game at Greenwood, no caddies that day as they were booked out on some tournament. We had to pull our own clubs, it was bliss, we loved it, saved 650 baht, round was much quicker. If only it was optional, please god make it so.

Wouldn't that be nice . 

Archived