Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buying a Cell

Sorry if this question has been posted before. Where is the best place to buy an inexpensive mobile phone to use exclusively in Thailand? Approx how much?

Cheers in advance. T

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

If in Bangkok I don't know for sure but I would suggest MBK.

In Pattaya I would suggest Tukcom on South Road (Pattaya Tai) or perhaps Big C on 2nd Road.

As for cost it will depend on what exactly you want. You should be able to get an inexpensive second hand phone for under 2,000 baht with no problem, but the better the phone you want the more the price will increase, especially if it is a newer model.

Thanks for the info. Don't need anything fancy. You home now??

Guest Qwert06
Sorry if this question has been posted before. Where is the best place to buy an inexpensive mobile phone to use exclusively in Thailand? Approx how much?

Cheers in advance. T

You can get your one from home unlocked and pop a Thai sim card in it, in all it will cost about 1000 baht with mabe 200 b credit

QWERT06:

That is the problem buying from this country and I would have to cancel my trip the dam things are an arm and a leg here. Better for me to buy in LOS. Arriving BKK will be there 4 days so may hit MBK as BH suggested. Thanks for the thoughts. Cheers T

Guest Qwert06
QWERT06:

That is the problem buying from this country and I would have to cancel my trip the dam things are an arm and a leg here. Better for me to buy in LOS. Arriving BKK will be there 4 days so may hit MBK as BH suggested. Thanks for the thoughts. Cheers T

Fair enough........... make sure the one you buy in Thai is unlocked then you can use it at home too :Dance:

SIM card phones are not as easy to come by around here as they are in the rest of the world. Most providers here sell the phones without Sim cards and they are set to that company only.

Questions asked and answered. My many thanks for the advice. Will buy in Bkk ensuring it is unlocked and get sim card to last me. Cheer T

Hey Skygod: Great guess on your part must have checked the flag. :P

:Good_Job: T

Check out ebay....lots of unlocked gsm phones and cheaper models can be had for $20.00

Thailand Land of Smiles

Check out ebay....lots of unlocked gsm phones and cheaper models can be had for $20.00

dam is it just me or what I would never take the time to sell a old phone on e-bay for 20 bucks I got several around I bought in several countrys I would never take the time to sell them for 20 lousey bucks ..but some people are more thrifty then me...but then again I spend all my time trying to sell hundred thousand dollar homes...

oh now adays thats several hundred thousand there mostly starting at around 3 hundred nowadays....

not that I am a rich fuck, I spend a lot and blow it..I am not the garage sale kind of guy, I tend to buy things, keep them, or lose them, I never sell my used shit..some people do, and thats ok maybee that why there doing better then me..sorry for the rant sometimes I think of this..

Edited by togaduke

I mean not even cars, I buy a good car and drive it till it falls apart, so maybee there is something to be learned here, I have made more then a million but really doint have much to say for it...

SIM card phones are not as easy to come by around here as they are in the rest of the world. Most providers here sell the phones without Sim cards and they are set to that company only.

Same thing in the States, BH, but as others have mentioned, check out Ebay, tons of them available at decent prices, better I think than you can get here in LOS.

It costs 100 baht to get a sim card here, with 50 baht credit. The sim card gives you the telephone number and gets you started, then just buy more credits as you need them. Easy to get about anywhere, all of the Food Marts/7-11's have them, as well as the shopping centers, etc. I did that before my Sept trip, when I went home, had about 150 baht credit remaining, came back in Jan, it was there waiting for me. Nice to be able to make some calls while in the taxi on the way to Patts, and also nice having the same number my friends already have. As long as you still have some credits remaining, your number will remain valid for at least six months, for me it was 1 year, but I have heard of others that only had six months, not sure why the difference. Tis a piece of cake.

Rick

If you keep buying top up cards then your time will keep extending as each top up is added on to the end of your current expiry. The larger the top up the more your expiry date is extended.

Great info folks. Now that I have the purchase straight, Is there one company better than others? Seems to be 3 major choices that the boardies use. Cheers T

Great info folks. Now that I have the purchase straight, Is there one company better than others? Seems to be 3 major choices that the boardies use. Cheers T

the popular choice seems to be 12call. i guess it depends on your needs. you can get a new phone at big c for 1500bt in the big c store itself. i'd trust them over a dealer in the mall who could easily be out of business and there's no assurance their warranty will stick.

I was banned because I couldn't stop being a cunt and being antagonistic continually baiting other BMS. I also gave board information to a banned member, which is a major no-no. Please do not be like me or you too will get your pee-pee slapped.

dictionary: http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

Of course Murphys law....just checked my cell phone for the up coming trip and its dead. Went to ebay and just purchased a new unlocked Motorola C139 GSM Color Cell Phone for $19.99. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it will do fine for LoS

79_7.JPG

Thailand Land of Smiles

Thanks Talen. Might just give that a try. I have the time, just trying to get everything organized. Cheers T

Hey Wolfy

I got a Sony Erickson That I found on the floor of a bar in Edmonton, Not the greatest looking phone around but its a Tri band sim card phone so Itl work in LOS . As I have absolutlely no use for it you can Have it for the Grand total of 1 beer , seriously

Cheers

Dude

Dude: You going to be with Braveheart this evening? If so you have a deal. I will attend around 4 Cheers T

See ya then Wolfy :Beer6:

• 11 months later...

Yeah, I did the same thing. Bought a cheap, older model, used tri-band Motorola on ebay for $15 US. Its old but works OK, and I'm not using it to make a fashion statement anyway...

Thanks Talen. Might just give that a try. I have the time, just trying to get everything organized. Cheers T