IGNORED

Rosetta Stone ...... Worth it?

I have been to Thailand once thus far and will be going back quite often for the forseeable futre. I was wondering from those of you that speak Thai or have learned Thai, what your opinion of the Rosetta Stone program is? Is it worth the money and has anyone used it? If so how well did it work?

Im very much interested in learning Thai and have a knack with languages however, Thai being a tonal language makes it extremely difficult to learn from a book.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"The very existance of flame throwers proves that someone, sometime, somewhere said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." "

I threw down for RS and it is good, but not great. I got really bored with it pretty quickly and I have never finished the disk after having it for more than 2 years. I think the Pimsleur audio CDs give you a better foundation for everyday conversation, I often listen to the lessons in my car where I can speak along with the CD. I think I've had more benefit from Pimsleur than RS, thought I have to admit I have learned a lot from RS as well, just doesn't seem to be as useful for everyday conversation (its more like a vocabulary builder). RS is expensive and AFAIK cannot be had for free, Pimsluer is just audio CDs, so you can find it for (illegal) download if you look around (also very expensive to buy). If you do download it, and find it useful, it would probably be good karma to buy it if you find it useful, though it is really over-priced as well.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

Wait until your next trip and go to Tucom. You can get a copy there cheap. Alternatively have a look for a bittorrent. Not sure about the copyright issues doing it that way.. :Hug1:

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Appreciate the input guys, thanks. Can someone suggest a descent book to get me started?

"The very existance of flame throwers proves that someone, sometime, somewhere said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." "

I've personally found rosetta stone to be more effective than pimsleur, especially for languages that have very different roots than the English language. I do though, have quite a bad ear for tones, music etc, thus pimsleur by itself is very difficult for me. Your own experience may vary.

The best method I have found, no matter what language you're trying to learn, is to hook up with a _patient_ emphasis on patient, member of the opposite sex who fluently speaks your language, and is willing to help you learn.

The best time to do that, is after you've had a bit of a base with either pimsleur/rosetta or some other lessons, so that you're not starting off at ground zero. You'll find your learning ability/rate will increase dramatically.

cheers

"He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch."

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."

- Nathaniel Borenstein

I've personally found rosetta stone to be more effective than pimsleur, especially for languages that have very different roots than the English language. I do though, have quite a bad ear for tones, music etc, thus pimsleur by itself is very difficult for me. Your own experience may vary.

The best method I have found, no matter what language you're trying to learn, is to hook up with a _patient_ emphasis on patient, member of the opposite sex who fluently speaks your language, and is willing to help you learn.

The best time to do that, is after you've had a bit of a base with either pimsleur/rosetta or some other lessons, so that you're not starting off at ground zero. You'll find your learning ability/rate will increase dramatically.

cheers

Ive always been told that the easiest way to learn a language is between the sheets!

800 baht for 2 dvd in tukcom with 26 languages on them.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light" Spike Milligan

I purchased rosetta stone from Pantip Plaza in BKK. I do not remember the price but it was cheap. I have been using it for a while now and I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Rosetta Stone is excellent for languages using the Western Alphabet. The problem with the Thai version is that you hear the speaker and see the picture, but your ear sometimes can't catch the slight differences in pronunciation, and you can't read the thai script to tell. (Is it Mai Pen Rai or Mai Pen Lai?)

And don't even get me started on classifiers!

Edited by mphil

Wait until your next trip and go to Tucom. You can get a copy there cheap. Alternatively have a look for a bittorrent. Not sure about the copyright issues doing it that way.. :ThankGod1:

Scumbag do they have different languages available or just Thai and English? and which floor? I need to get Arabic 3 the first tow I got from a friend of mine, but he has not been around lately.

Edited by KDNG

Just use the search button. There are better options than RS. IMO.

Edited by thezeeman

• 1 month later...

I need to learn from a westerner who speaks thai, because I can't understand Thais well enough to reproduce those sounds.

"This little incident on the aeroplane throws into relief my single status, that at times leaves a gloomy space of frigid loneliness and a craving for intimacy, a hollow within that echoes a quiet desperation when in the silence of those cold grey London nights and which I felt all the more keenly in some of those moments in LOS when a lack of true intimacy is apparent in the financially fuelled sexual congresses of the P4P scene. However, these are only in moments of weakness and self pity and would not impel me to find sustenance in a need fulfilling relationship ……….Hell!!! If I were to be given a choice, I’ll take the often pseudo short-term romance of the P4P scene over the risk of the insidious death of marriage"

-Alleycat

MySpace Countdown Clocks

• 3 weeks later...
Appreciate the input guys, thanks. Can someone suggest a descent book to get me started?

My input from what i've seen so far.....

I started RS, got board with it...but what little I did with it I remember to this day (a year later) so I think it is effective if you can be disciplined.

I can't tell you how many people have recommended the Benjawan Poomsan Becker books/tapes, it would seem you can't go wrong with these.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...