Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Dan About Thailand | Add your Text or Event here 

kgbagent

Gay Tourism In Vietnam

kgbagent

GAY TOURISM IN VIETNAM

SHARE ON:   

Gay-Tourism-in-Vietnam-f.jpg
Since Vietnam abolished a ban on gay marriage in 2015, there has been a rise in LGBT tourists visiting the country. But are there any more incentives on the way? By Lorcan Lovett. Photo by Vinh Dao.

As a gay Hanoian, 33-year-old Nguyen Anh Tuan noticed an increase in LGBT visitors to Vietnam over the past few years and, being of the Vietnamese entrepreneurial spirit, he saw an opportunity.

There was a chance to bring gay travellers together and provide them with a tour guide that would make their experiences here more comfortable.

“Just like French tourists would like a tour guide that speaks their language and understands them,” Nguyen explains.

He launched Gay Hanoi Tours in 2014 and since then there’s been an annual growth of 30 percent in the business, while group bookings have gone up by 10 percent per year.

There are no official figures of LGBT tourists to Vietnam, although people in Tuan’s field have acknowledged a definite rise aided by a bolster in the country’s reputation among the global LGBT community.

This is partly due to the Communist Party abolishing a ban on same-sex marriage in 2014, which then went into effect on 1 January 2015. Gay marriages still do not have the same rights as those of straight couples, whose marriages are protected by laws dictating rights to assets.

But the progressive change helped attract 700 customers to Tuan’s tours last year. He says 70 percent were gay clientele, 15 percent were women who felt more at ease among gay people, and 15 percent were straight people referred by their gay friends.

“The recent changes have had an impact by just putting Vietnam in the news in a positive light and illustrating how welcoming to all the country is,” says Tuan.

“This has caused more people to know about our culture and history which has led to more people coming.”

The tours take in “real everyday Hanoi amid the chaos”, he adds, as well as “off the beaten track” locations.

“I hear from clients that they have ‘done the other countries’ and now want to explore somewhere new.

“I feel that there is a growing market and potential but it is up to the industry and the country as well as individuals to make sure that everyone who comes, leaves with a positive view of my country, as well as the urge to come back and explore more.”

Many countries across the world debate gay marriage and the acceptance of the LGBT community in the context of the church. For Vietnam, which is relatively unmarred by religion, the heated discussions take place in the family home.

The latest survey from the Institute for Society, Economy and Environment (ISEE), a non-governmental organisation based in Hanoi, revealed that more than a third of Vietnam’s gay population is closeted.

Out of the 2,362 people asked, 68.4 percent admitted they were closeted. The participants were aged 13 to 54.

“The younger they are, the more open they are with their sexuality,” says ISEE’s LGBT rights program manager Luong The Huy.

Online LGBT forum leaders in Vietnam strongly developed their community in the early 2000s and were then asked by ISEE to establish the program. Started in 2008, it is the first organisation in Vietnam to work exclusively at promoting the rights of LGBT people.

Luong and his team advocate with lawmakers, media, and leaders in education and the private sector. One of the fears of coming out, he says, is because of discrimination from those closest to the person.

“It is not usual to get attacked by strangers or when you are walking in the street, but it is quite common to have violence from members of the family if they find out that you are LGBT,” he says.

“A lot of people face struggles and discrimination from members of their own family. The situation is changing now because the social attitude is getting more and more accepting.

“(There is) more discussion on LGBT rights; equality is happening on social media, in the press and in every day life. However when the issues come to traditional values or family norms, LGBT is not considered a part of them.”

Luong agrees that the show of tolerance in abolishing a ban on gay marriage has contributed to the rise in LGBT tourists, although he says the importance of improving LGBT-centred services – hotels, bars, clubs, etc. – should not be underestimated.

He also points out that unlike countries like Thailand and Taiwan, Vietnam does not have a plan to promote itself as an “LGBT tourism country”.

Despite this, Vietnam has never actually outlawed homosexuality. That alone can be viewed as an achievement when compared with the draconian laws imposed by other nations, even today.

And in November 2015, the country passed a law allowing those who have undergone gender reassignment to register under their new gender. The law will come into effect early next year after 282 of 366 lawmakers voted in favour.

Advocacy groups hope the legislation will pave the way for the surgery to be made legal in the nation. For now, people tend to have it done in Thailand.

The next step is gay marriage with all of the benefits enjoyed by straight couples. Then gay tourists who visit the country may even stay.

kgbagent

Looking for ladyboy?

Guess you might be

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Skalliwag

Finally posting one of your own articles KG.

Nice to see.

kgbagent

Finally posting one of your own articles KG.

Nice to see.

Talk to me when you post something more than 2 sentences that are on topic or relevant skaliwag

Great clickbait obviously. ... what interests you in the topic if I may ask? Some deep closeted curiosity?

Skalliwag

Talk to me when you post something more than 2 sentences that are on topic or relevant skaliwag

Great clickbait obviously. ... what interests you in the topic if I may ask? Some deep closeted curiosity?

Ohhhh touchy touchy.Just having a laugh.Dont get your little panties in a bunch.

I get more said in 2 sentences than you do in half a page.

No curiosity here.

I've seen guys fuck guys before.

kgbagent

Ohhhh touchy touchy.Just having a laugh.Dont get your little panties in a bunch.

I get more said in 2 sentences than you do in half a page.

No curiosity here.

I've seen guys fuck guys before.

Lots of fullstops still made 2 sentences.

Not touchy at all .... glad you are comfortable with your sexualities.

Skalliwag

Lots of fullstops still made 2 sentences.

Not touchy at all .... glad you are comfortable with your sexualities.

Had a fuck party at my Villa once,I worked the front door.Posted it on PA.More than two sentences I believe.

Saw some dudes fucking other dudes but wasn't asked to join.

Figured I wasn't hot enough,luckily.

kgbagent

Had a fuck party at my Villa once,I worked the front door.Posted it on PA.More than two sentences I believe.

Saw some dudes fucking other dudes but wasn't asked to join.

Figured I wasn't hot enough,luckily.

You will always wonder what you missed out on then I gather.

Was on OnTheEdge at the party?

Skalliwag

You will always wonder what you missed out on then I gather.

Was on OnTheEdge at the party?

Not with me working the front door he wasn't.

Couldn't have him inappropriately groping men without their consent.

Embarrassing.

kgbagent

Not with me working the front door he wasn't.

Couldn't have him inappropriately groping men without their consent.

Embarrassing.

Fook I was hoping for grainy photographic proof

Skalliwag

Well,we did go to a massage place last trip together.

When I found out what kid of place it was,I bailed,but managed to snap this of him on the way out.

image.jpeg

kgbagent

Well,we did go to a massage place last trip together.

When I found out what kid of place it was,I bailed,but managed to snap this of him on the way out.

He always wants to be the dominant one Edgey

Skalliwag

He always wants to be the dominant one Edgey

Well he certainly has taken one of the chin on this thread.

kgbagent

Well he certainly has taken one of the chin on this thread.

He won't see it .... to scared to be seen in the who viewed this list

kgbagent

LIVING A TRANSGENDER LIFE IN VIETNAM

SHARE ON:   
Living-a-trangender-life-in-Vietnam-f.jp
Born female, but always feeling ‘a little different’, William represents a small but increasingly confident group of transgender people in Vietnam. He speaks to Claudia Davaar Lambie. Photo by Vinh Dao.

“What can I get for you?” asks the bartender, eager to please his ever thirsty customers. The busy bar in downtown Saigon is packed but we’ve managed to find a few seats at the bar. Ordering my cocktail, I begin chatting to one of the bar staff. About five minutes into the conversation I ask his name. “I am William,” he replies; a huge smile appearing across his face.

William, 24, is from a small province outside of Ho Chi Minh City. He moved to Saigon six years ago to study Hospitality Management at one of the city’s universities and now works at a bar in District 1; pursuing his passion for mixology. William, of course, was not born as William. He was born female, and remains genetically so, but as a transgender person identifies as the opposite.

Since he was a child, he has always felt a little different to his peers. “I [have] always liked wearing t-shirts, jeans and hats and played soccer with the boys. When I was 14, I had feelings towards another girl classmate at school and felt that [it] was unnatural.”

It took four years until William recognised that he was, in fact, transgender and at 18 eventually came out as his true self. He explains that during adolescence he was very confused about his gender and sexuality. “I thought I had a disease because it wasn’t natural and I felt hopeless.” Luckily, information on English language websites quashed this belief and William slowly began to realise that he was ‘normal’.

Interestingly, in Vietnamese there is no specific word for ‘transgender’. Instead the word lưỡng tính which translates into ‘same sex’ or ‘homosexual’ refers to the LGBT community as a whole.

Therefore, there is no distinction made between those members of the LGBT community; everyone is grouped together. The reason for this is that Vietnam’s patriarchal culture traditionally focuses upon male homosexuality. This causes confusion for William trying to pinpoint who he is and where he fits in to society. He considers himself heterosexual (he’s a bit of a ladies man, with three women on the go) but he identifies himself as a gay man due to translation limitations. He thinks that there should be a specific word for ‘transgender’ in the Vietnamese language. This would be the first step in helping people define who they are.

However, Vietnam has come a long way in being recognised as one of the most progressive countries in South East Asia with regards to transgender issues. In August the Ministry of Health publicly urged the government to consider legalising sex reassignment surgery. This would be a huge step for transgender people in the country. According to government data there are around 500,000 transgender people in Vietnam, with an estimated 1,000 of them having undergone the operation already. In Asia, Thailand, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal legally allow sex-change operations.

William knows a handful of people like himself in Ho Chi Minh City and feels generally comfortable in his own skin and day-to-day life here. At university he studied a module in Gender

Development and this helped himself and his fellow classmates understand the complexities in more depth; something he is grateful for. He has many friends who are supportive of how he has chosen to live his life.

Respect is a common thread that runs throughout our conversation. His friends and colleagues are respectful towards him and he gives this in return. Being accepted is very important to him and he explains that “people love me because I am myself”.

“My ability is what is important not my gender. Those that understand me will hire me. I can try my best [at my job].”

In terms of accessing employment as a transgender person, William’s stance on this is inspiring as he explains, “My ability is what is important not my gender. Those that understand me will hire me. I can try my best [at my job].” William has been working ever since he graduated. However, he does think that there are specific sectors that are more favourable for transgender people. “I could never work in finance or banking, the people are too serious and wouldn’t understand me,” he says. “In hospitality, I can be myself and in the [hospitality] field there are a lot of homosexuals like me.”

Current legislation in Vietnam prohibits those who identify as a different gender from changing their name on any legal documentation except if the person is born as intersex. The Ministry of Health has also suggested amendments to the Civil Code that would allow transgender people to change their name on official documents. The ministry says there are about 600 people in Vietnam who have transition and are officially waiting to change their birth certificated and identification cards.

Asking William if he would like to legally change his name he replies with a surprised tone: “Of course! I want my name on the ID Card and passport to be who I am. My name shows everyone this.”  With regards to employment, William has to write his birth name on his resume and it is obligatory that this matches his ID Card. This can create confusion and embarrassment both for the employer and potential employee when they are invited to an interview.  William remains optimistic that changes to the law to permit name change may happen in the future.

William’s gender expression manifests in his clothes and hairstyle. For him, this is central to how he presents himself to others. However, when William visits his family every three months he says he has to hide who he is. “I go home as someone else. I wear colourful clothes but I don’t [wear] pink, maybe blue. I also grow my hair longer.” At home, William’s mother and father know that their child has changed their gender but they refuse to broach the subject. The family calls William by his birth name. “I feel uncomfortable when I go, but I have to visit my family and take care of them.”

When I ask William if he should speak to his family and tell them about his true gender there is a major concern that stops him; the lack of accurate information about transgender people that is available to the public. For him, dissemination of correct information about the LGBT group is crucial. “How can I tell my family when they don’t understand about people like me?” he asks.