Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

The rumour was that Longhorn Steakhouse was extending into My Way.

I’m not extremely familiar with the layout, but I don’t think they were next to each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 13/10/2018 at 20:31, jpmelville said:

I think someone already had mentioned Bread Deli Bahn Mi Viet Nam in this thread. It's located in the Sukhumvit end of Khao Talo road and their sandwiches are really delicious @ 45bht/pcs with inhouse made bread and the service was very nice too. The lady told what is inside every sandwich.

We took #2 sandwiches and it was as said really delicious. The size was proper for having it as a lunch. I recommend this place for everybody and I will go back next weekend for other sandwiches. They have some other grub too like Vieatnamese beef steak etc. 

After the lunch we went to Siamburi's to get some naughty cheeses.(both of us are on diet) Cheap and cheerful there also but the traffic is very heavy on this weekend.

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-13 at 20.14.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-13 at 13.25.00.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-13 at 16.34.29.jpeg

Anyone know if the bahn mi placed moved or just closed for good? 

If  closed, any other good ones around?

I stopped in at Prime Burger for the first time tonight. I remembered some guys posting about really liking the Paris with jalapenos on it. I was under the impression that it was a Chicken sandwich, although it clearly states on the menu that it is a burger. I did not notice this until it was on the table. My bad. I was not wild about the burger. It is a smash burger and I do not care for those. Both the toppings and the curly fries on the other hand were pretty good.

Anybody know if you can order the Paris as a chicken sandwich?

On 25/11/2019 at 14:01, Luv2Phuket said:

I’m not extremely familiar with the layout, but I don’t think they were next to each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously not extremely familiar, confirmed by a walk past yesterday and this is a quote from their FB page;

"Extra unit added to Longhorn Steakhouse making it a triple unit restaurant. Longhorn can now seat over 100 people making it a perfect location for organizing special events or to visit with big groups."

Shame, My Way was a favourite.

I stopped in at Prime Burger for the first time tonight. I remembered some guys posting about really liking the Paris with jalapenos on it. I was under the impression that it was a Chicken sandwich, although it clearly states on the menu that it is a burger. I did not notice this until it was on the table. My bad. I was not wild about the burger. It is a smash burger and I do not care for those. Both the toppings and the curly fries on the other hand were pretty good.
Anybody know if you can order the Paris as a chicken sandwich?

I had the Paris burger also and enjoyed. I ordered the single patty and got the double patty (as it was on special) for the price of a single. Ordered the cheesey fries but got curly fries instead(TIT), a rum drink, and a soda, all up about 350 baht. Enjoyed and will go back next trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 11:19, ingo67 said:

The rumour was that Longhorn Steakhouse was extending into My Way.

bingo

no dividing wall. 1 big longhorn. only the sign remains

1763373173_7dec003(Custom).JPG.71d4f5aec03308361aeaa7edea055afb.JPG

579129998_7dec004(Custom).JPG.254a63ef8d5f1ef14759a30a8ef09b7e.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, striderman said:

bingo

no dividing wall. 1 big longhorn. only the sign remain

Eaten there yesterday and talked to one of the service guys. He told me Longhorn took over My Way but the My Way menu is still available. 

• Like 2

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth mentioning in this thread that there's definitely been a huge improvement in the food at The Robin Hood Tavern on the second floor of The Avenue on 2nd Road.  Now the regular menu and the daily specials feature quite a few really good dishes under 300 baht.  I posted a review of the 199-baht small fixed-plate Sunday roast dinner here (post#49).

2.jpg.4e956c694c10c121bb2a978ca90d2519.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg.d401d26be43fcbd82cf9a48b347b0037.jpg

3.jpg.09ca91ad4441723a24667f3cd319b817.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

3.jpg.09ca91ad4441723a24667f3cd319b817.jpg

Evil

Hey Evil

Can you give us aussies a bit of a rundown on what the bread looking thing in the middle of the plate is.

When in pattaya I always have a sunday roast at retox soi honey and enjoy the bread thingy. What is it made of. Its sort of fried bread roll with cheese in it

12 Pints in Know it all

10 minutes ago, Mr Wombat said:

Hey Evil

Can you give us aussies a bit of a rundown on what the bread looking thing in the middle of the plate is.

When in pattaya I always have a sunday roast at Retox soi honey and enjoy the bread thingy. What is it made of. Its sort of fried bread roll with cheese in it

Yorkshire pudding is a common English side dish consisting of a baked pudding made from batter consisting of eggs, flour, and milk or water. It is a versatile food that can be served in numerous ways depending on the choice of ingredients, the size of the pudding, and the accompanying components of the dish.

27 minutes ago, Mr Wombat said:

Hey Evil

When in pattaya I always have a sunday roast at Retox soi honey and enjoy the bread thingy. What is it made of. Its sort of fried bread roll with cheese in it

I assume you're asking about the stuffing "roll"  marked by the arrow.  If you were asking about the Yorkshire pudding, you've already gotten your answer from Frost Medic. :D

IMG_0073a.jpg.2183561f88942ad765724ed57a6ceda0.jpg

I don't really know what recipe they use at the Robin Hood or Retox, but traditional stuffing is made from breadcrumbs, chopped onion, sausage and herbs like sage or rosemary.  Stuffing was not only used to fill the cavities of fowl and other meat for roasting, but also cooked separately.  In the U.K., stuffing is sometimes rolled in balls or cylinders. That's almost never done in North America.

Just like Yorkshire pudding, stuffing was originally  a method of soaking up the juices or  drippings from roasted meat, as well as a belly filler in the days when meat was expensive or hard to come by.

Evil

• Like 4

When I lived up in Yorkshire, as a student 40-45 years ago, Yorkshire-pudding was often served (with gravy) as a starter, to fill you up (as you rightly say) before the meat was served.

I believe a large boiled dumpling, known as a 'Norfolk swimmer', had a similar use in East-Anglia ?  Although never saw it myself.

And the role of stuffing, in soaking-up the juices from the cooking fowl, means it can taste better than the simple stuffing-balls which are more common in modern times, but that may just be my own personal taste.

I see this Yorkshire pudding thingy at the Sunday Carveries where they serve you unlimited meats.  If it’s purpose is to compensate for a limited supply of meats, is there a reason to add it to your plate at the carvery?

Retired

13 minutes ago, Piece Corp said:

I see this Yorkshire pudding thingy at the Sunday Carveries where they serve you unlimited meats.  If it’s purpose is to compensate for a limited supply of meats, is there a reason to add it to your plate at the carvery?

It was a staple of holiday meals/big meals when I was growing up -- my Grandmother (from England) would make them -- so they are big favorite of mine and bring back memories of my childhood.

Some may like them; others may not.  Not a strong flavor to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had steak & kidney in a pub in Hastings UK where they used Yorkshire pud as a bowl for the meat surrounded by the veg. Pretty good

www.sugarcanemafia.com

4 minutes ago, froddo said:

Had steak & kidney in a pub in Hastings UK where they used Yorkshire pud as a bowl for the meat surrounded by the veg. Pretty good

Several restaurants in Pattaya use a Yorkshire Pudding as a bowl in Pattaya.

Edited by Taa_Saparot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yorkshire pudding has interesting history.  It started as batter or dripping pudding in the Middle Ages when wheat flour began to be milled.  A batter of flour, eggs and water was placed in a pan under meat roasting on a spit, allowing the pudding to catch the calorie-rich and tasty drippings.  This was important in an era when people did long hours of hard physical and needed far more calories than today.

The invention of wood- and coal-buring iron kitchen stoves and ovens in the 1700s allowed the pudding to cook at a higher temperature and take on its raised, puffy and crispy form.  It acquired the name Yorkshire pudding in the 1800s and was served a separate first course with gravy. Beef was quite expensive  and families were much larger in the 1800s, so Yorkshire pudding helped them fill up.  The thinly sliced roast beef itself was served with a white sauce, not gravy.  

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 8

I first experienced alot of my English cuisine in Thailand; Yorkshire pudding, liver & bacon etc., indeed whenever I see HP Sauce, I think of Pattaya! 555

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

One might also mention another dish, which has pork-sausages cooked in the pudding, that's known as 'Toad-in-the-Hole'  ...  and to think that some people say there's no such thing as English-cuisine ! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Piece Corp said:

Think of it as an addition, rather than a compensator. As to why? besides tradition, it should have a texture that is different from anything else on the plate.

‘all the trimmings’ ...thats a common phrase associated with this meal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

Think of it as an addition, rather than a compensator. As to why? besides tradition, it should have a texture that is different from anything else on the plate.

‘all the trimmings’ ...thats a common phrase associated with this meal.

I can understand tradition but don't think it adds any value other than as a filler.  Given the choice, I'd rather have an extra slice of meat.

Retired

8 minutes ago, Piece Corp said:

I can understand tradition but don't think it adds any value other than as a filler.  Given the choice, I'd rather have an extra slice of meat.

Maybe describing its heritage hasn’t helped, but i find it more interesting than peas and carrots etc, which is its competition IMO. 

Swapping it for meat is not a balanced equation! :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

Maybe describing its heritage hasn’t helped, but i find it more interesting than peas and carrots etc, which is its competition IMO. 

Swapping it for meat is not a balanced equation! :)

I don't wish to offend but I think peas and carrots are a more healthy and worthwhile alternative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Retired

13 hours ago, froddo said:

THAT must be what I had when I was in England some 20 years ago.

A large YP bowl filled with steak and gravy and i think some peas and carrots as well. Very tasty. 

Of course, prior to that I was thinking of "real" pudding. :Laugh1:

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

The best Yorkshire puddings I have had in Pattaya are served daily, with a variety of fillings, at Jamison's. 

I have not been for about a year and believe that there have been some changes there, so not sure nowadays.

Have made them at home, simple to make. For me, they have to be served when out of oven, tend to get soggy if left out for buffets. 

• Like 2