IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

2 minutes ago, jiz said:

Has anyone mention Mr. PHO?

I'm no expert on Vietnamese food but have to admit, I went there 2 days in a row for the beef soup.

Very small menu (which I like) a few soups and a few appetizers. Everything fresh. 

He makes a mean ice coffee too.

Located on Thappraya Rd. next to Mac Hotel. Alley 1.

No, I hadn't heard of him, but he is now on my to do list.  Is it a restaurant or a stall?

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

On 23/01/2019 at 08:10, Taa_Saparot said:

My problem with Taco Taco is, I normally want to eat a meal when hungry, not a snack.

I expect to spend 300 or 400bt to fill up at TacoTaco. The quality is there so I have no problem with her prices. 

My favorite place back in Salinas served up great food and not so cheap but always had a "working mans plate' for a good price.

I suggest a "special" small burrito with beans and rice, should not cost too much to plate up.

Edited by jiz
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

No, I hadn't heard of him, but he is now on my to do list.  Is it a restaurant or a stall?

Evil

Mr. PHO restaurant attached to the lobby of the MAC hotel.

Bottom of Thappraya hill, Pattaya side.

Big sign, easy to spot.

I predict he has a winner here.

Edited by jiz

17 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

Been a sign up for months, but only opened a few days ago.

On 24/01/2019 at 09:03, jiz said:

Has anyone mention Mr. PHO?

IMG_0020.jpg

Following on jiz' post,  I checked out Phở Mr. Nam (it's Nam who's the Mr.) last night for supper.  I got there about 6.15 p.m. and initially was the only guest.  During the 45 minutes I sat there, five other diners entered.

IMG_0015.jpg

Phở Mr. Nam is currently in a soft-opening phase and will officially open in February.  The one-page menu is limited to three types of Vietnamese soup, three sorts of Vietnamese rolls and beverages.  According to the friendly waiter who greeted me and took my order, more dishes will be added in time.   It will also function as a coffee shop called Saigon Cafe.

Untitled-1.jpg

Since I've had beef pho dozens of times, I decided to try the crab noodle soup. It was actually crab cake noodle soup (bún riêu).  The waiter explained that there was only a "little bit" crab in the crab cakes, but the soup had many other ingredients.  According to the menu, it contained crab cakes,  fried tofu, shrimp,  pork ribs and pork sausage.   It came with the customary plate of herbs and veggies and a small dish of super-hot chili paste.

It cost 85 baht and a bottle of water was 15 baht.

IMG_0009.jpg

As you can see from the pic,  my bowl of bún riêu didn't much resemble the one on the menu.  The pic on the menu is what you would expect crab cake noodle soup to look like. 

IMG_0011.jpg

Bún riêu customarily contains tomatoes and mine had none, which may in part account for the lack of red color. However, the main reason is the lack of bún riêu seasoning or Vietnamese crab paste. The broth tasted good, but it was more a pork flavor than crab or seafood. 

IMG_0012.jpg

A generous helping of the herbs and bean sprouts and a squeeze of lime are crucial components in any Vietnamese soup.  

There was the usual four-flavor condiment tray, except garlic gloves had been substituted for chili oil or powder.

IMG_0006.jpg

As befits a new restaurant, everything was clean and shiny.  It seats about 30 people in the enclosed air-conditioned section and another eight outdoors.

IMG_0014.jpg

The main kitchen is in the back, but there's also a front area where the soups are ladled out.

IMG_0013.jpg

The service is friendly and more than attentive.  I saw a waiter wipe off the tops of soft drink cans before pouring the contents into the diners'  glasses.  Now that's elegance!  

Bottom line: Phở Mr. Nam is cheap. cheerful, well-lit and clean. I'll definitely be back to try the beef pho and Vietnamese rolls, despite the bit of a miss with the crab noodle soup. Hopefully a few more dishes will be added once it officially opens.

As jiz stated,   Phở Mr. Nam  is attached to Mr. Mac's hotel and has replaced the hotel restaurant. It's located on Thappraya Road a few hundred meters south of the intersection with Third Road.  If riding the baht bus from central Pattaya, press the buzzer as soon as you reach the Residence Garden hotel. Here's a map for anyone not familiar with the area.

Untitled-11.jpg

There's also a big exterior sign for Phở Mr. Nam.

IMG_0021.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I have tried everything on their soft opening menu except the nam neung (grilled pork sausage with wrappings, dip, and side adds).

Of the three soups, the standard beef Pho is the best. It's made the slow Vietnamese way so it's got the broth Pho lovers will expect. Not the best anywhere, but easily the best in town. I also was let down by the Crab soup, but enjoyed the Hue style soup fairly well. The later menu will have a Danang style option as well. Again, start with the beef to get a fair measure of this place. I even suggested to the owner to suggest that people order that first.

Loved the grilled minced shrimp on sugar cane served in the same platter as nam neung. The fried eggrolls are good but they're a Central Viet style that was new to me so they're probably different than what you might expect from fried Viet eggrolls.

They will later have fresh eggrolls and Bun bowls. Also bahn mi sandwiches for breakfast and lunch.

They will not however have fancier dinner type dishes like catfish claypot, grilled lemon grass chicken platter etc. 

Overall, I'm pretty thrilled this place has opened. If nothing else, you can get a reasonable Beef Pho fix now.

The soft opening Beef Pho includes a mix of beef cuts and balls. You can ask for a custom choice like only sirloin or only flank and beef balls. The menu to come will spell out the specific cuts, but not yet. 

The prices will go up a bit about February 5 and the 10 percent soft opening discount has already ended. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Shame there is no VT namnueng restaurants in pattaya. Went to one in udon thani and loved it.

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

Shame there is no VT namnueng restaurants in pattaya. Went to one in udon thani and loved it.

But there are some local places that serve it including this new place. 

This famous local chain has a version --

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mae-Sri-Ruen-แม่ศรีเรือน/175142359205379

This place and they're on Food Panda --

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vientiane-Restaurant/639806109538153

Probably others that I'm not up on too. It's the one Viet dish that most Thais seem to know and love.

Edited by Kreggerz

Random pic contribution :)

This is from the VT place in asiatique in bkk. Tasty stuff.

IMG_0323.JPG

The new Vietnamese place Pho Mr. Nam now has grilled pork mixed with fried spring rolls Bun bowls (cool temperature thin rice noodles and vegetables)  at 125 but not on the menu yet. It's good. They also now have fresh spring rolls but I forget to ask what's in them. Usually shrimp and pork but better ask if you want to order them. 

Edited by Kreggerz
  • Like 1

On 25/01/2019 at 17:57, taylor1975 said:

Random pic contribution :)

This is from the VT place in asiatique in bkk. Tasty stuff.

Love Naem Nueng ... but does seem a bit sparse with ingredients.

2 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

The new Vietnamese place Pho Mr. Nam now has grilled pork mixed with fried spring rolls Bun bowls (cool temperature thin rice noodles and vegetables)  at 125 but not on the menu yet. It's good. They also now have fresh spring rolls but I forget to ask what's in them. Usually shrimp and pork but better ask if you want to order them. 

Doing Naem Neung yet ?

On 25/01/2019 at 15:52, Kreggerz said:

But there are some local places that serve it including this new place. 

This famous local chain has a version --

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mae-Sri-Ruen-แม่ศรีเรือน/175142359205379

This place and they're on Food Panda --

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vientiane-Restaurant/639806109538153

Probably others that I'm not up on too. It's the one Viet dish that most Thais seem to know and love.

PLEASE .... do  not forget this one on Pattaya Tai 

https://www.facebook.com/pg/แซ่บเด้อ-ก๋วยจั๊บญวนสาขา2-461276117375716/posts/?ref=page_internal

Okay its a Noodle Shop (she does Mee Kathi that I have found nowhere else in Pattaya) 24 hours a day, but the Vietnamese Food she serves is great, but it stops at 9pm.

Edited by Taa_Saparot

Mae sri ruen nem nuong is not the best pretty bland nothing like what it is suppose to be

20180603_195005.jpg

5 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Doing Naem Neung yet ?

Yes, from day one.

A dish with similar fixings that that they also have is the grilled minced shrimp on sugar cane. Excellent.

2 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Yes, from day one.

A dish with similar fixings that that they also have is the grilled minced shrimp on sugar cane. Excellent.

Thanks.

Good Chao Tom is hard to find.

10 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Just looking at their FB page, must try and visit this week.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/PHO-NAM-322514515003608

Is that how their Naem Neung looks ?

What is in the dish to the left of the sauce ?

50182986_348153782439681_5416320095196545024_o.thumb.jpg.55e7035ca908b13f820697c82699365e.jpg

4 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Just looking at their FB page, must try and visit this week.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/PHO-NAM-322514515003608

Is that how their Naem Neung looks ?

What is in the dish to the left of the sauce ?

50182986_348153782439681_5416320095196545024_o.thumb.jpg.55e7035ca908b13f820697c82699365e.jpg

I haven't had it there. It's not my favorite Viet dish as I'm not a fan of sausage in general. Living in the U.S. in Vietnamese areas, it was never popular there but I noticed that it's the one Viet dish most Thais know. So I don't know if that's an actual picture. I have had their shrimp/sugar cane with a similar spread as you would expect with Naem Neung but it looked quite different than that, so I'm guessing that isn't an actual pic. 

Another thing, last night I was able to order a custom beef Pho, raw beef which I think they called tenderloin and flank which is cooked meat without gristle. Personal taste but I  liked that better than the default mix they are serving now. 

As far as dips and adds, they do have some kind of Sriracha like hot sauce in a bottle but not yet Hoison (Chinese BBQ sauce) which might be hard to source here but they're trying to order. Also you might have to ask for their custom chili garlic paste which is mostly to add to the broth if you want that. Sometimes they give it and sometimes you need to ask. 

Last night they were packed and with bigger groups too. Great to see in that location which I don't think is so great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kreggerz said:

Another thing, last night I was able to order a custom beef Pho, raw beef which I think they called tenderloin and flank which is cooked meat without gristle. Personal taste but I  liked that better than the default mix they are serving now. 

From their menu.

49213479_343461952908864_481677661668638720_o.thumb.jpg.2d2f403fc04f940048b1eaf9bd358fc7.jpg

1 hour ago, Kreggerz said:

I haven't had it there. It's not my favorite Viet dish as I'm not a fan of sausage in general.

Naem Nueng is more about the range of condiments, and leaves, than the Sour Sausage to me.

Edited by Taa_Saparot

26 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

From their menu.

49213479_343461952908864_481677661668638720_o.thumb.jpg.2d2f403fc04f940048b1eaf9bd358fc7.jpg

Yeah but they haven't released that menu yet to customers. They still give the limited soft open menu. You have to ask the owner to show you that menu or use facebook I suppose. That's how I knew I could ask for a custom order which I'm used to doing and is typical for Pho restaurants. 

BTW, the flavor of the Beef Pho done my way last night was the real deal. I won't have to go to Bangkok, Vietnam, or the U.S. to get my Pho fix anymore. 

Edited by Kreggerz

27 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Naem Nueng is more about the range of condiments, and leaves, than the Sour Sausage to me.

But you get the same or similar platter with the grilled shrimp on sugar cane. 

• Like 1