IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

After a night on the cans in Pattaya by the sea a feed is in order.

Tonight was a trip to the often recommended spaghetti stand at the junction of Soi Diana and Buakhao.

I went for the meat spaghetti + a bit spicy at 105bt added a rather anemic pair of 7-11 ham and cheese toasted sandwiches

combined with Chang dregs and a rather cheeky 2017 Mont Clair which must be served chilled plus ice cube...

IMG_20160423_020312 (Small).jpg

Pasta is wonderfully aldente, solid meat flavour with diced carrot adding sweetness fresh grated parmesan adds a savoury note and is

a nice touch at this price point. In Australia we prefer more of a sauce consistency. This is more dry but the flavour is good.

IMG_20160423_020450 (Small).jpg

Highly recommend this meal for a Pattaya pasta hit not costing much more than a kebab. Aroy!

Tonight was a trip to the often recommended spaghetti stand at the junction of Soi Diana and Buakhao.

I went for the meat spaghetti + a bit spicy at 105bt added a rather anemic pair of 7-11 ham and cheese toasted sandwiches

combined with Chang dregs and a rather cheeky 2017 Mont Clair which must be served chilled plus ice cube...

attachicon.gifIMG_20160423_020312 (Small).jpg

Pasta is wonderfully aldente, solid meat flavour with diced carrot adding sweetness fresh grated parmesan adds a savoury note and is

a nice touch at this price point. In Australia we prefer more of a sauce consistency. This is more dry but the flavour is good.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160423_020450 (Small).jpg

Highly recommend this meal for a Pattaya pasta hit not costing much more than a kebab. Aroy!

Thanks for your review and it kinda makes me I had the guts to try the place.

The couple of times I considered giving it a go I was put off by Lady boys who were sitting outside the stall or hanging around directly in-front of it.

Regretfully I ate once from the Aussie Burger stand just before it and, although I was well oiled, the burger both tasted of shoe insole and had a similar consistency and the bun was stale..

When your drunk and something tastes awful then it really really really must be.

Edited by Balee

Now that is a coincidence.  I also had a recent take-away from the Spaghetti stand.  Maybe it's a testimony to the popularity of the stand.

8.jpg

Late Thursday night (actually very early Friday morning)  I stopped by for my weekly pasta fix.

9.jpg

The stand was doing a landslide business, although most customers were eating in the bar behind the stand. I counted ten plates that went out before she got to my takeaway order.  Perhaps a bar crawl had decided spaghetti was needed to soak up the booze.

10.jpg

This is what my spaghetti Bolognese looked like after I got it home.

Untitled-3a.jpg

A good-sized portion and good taste for 105 baht.  It's better spaghetti than you get in some restaurants.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

A few more suggestions on LK Metro. The Rockhouse  recently restarted its food service and the most expensive item on the menu goes for 250 baht.  

post-276-0-69676900-1461347275.jpg

For the most part, it's traditional British pub-style food, although there are a few Thai dishes on the menu. I decided to try the lamb shepherd's pie at 250 baht.  It came with peas or beans and either mashed potatoes or chips and gravy.  Unfortunately, my "full-plate" pics didn't turn out well, but the close-ups of the shepherd's pie were OK.

post-276-0-58199700-1461347279.jpg

It was a good-sized portion. The meat mixture had a good lamb flavor and was well seasoned, while the mash potato topping had been cooked to a golden brown.

post-276-0-98766400-1461347285.jpg

post-276-0-00583400-1461347292.jpg

I'll be back to try other dishes from the Rockhouse menu.  The first time round, the food served at the RH had been very good.  It was British comfort food as it should be done.  And it appears the RH is off to a good start this time, too. Remember, though, that the RH is a bar with food service and not a restaurant. Customers sit on bar stools at bar tables or the bar counter.

EDIT IN:  Here are the daily specials at the RH-

Monday . 2 fried eggs , steak fries and baked beans . only 110 b .

Tuesday. Beef burger and steak fries . only 140 b .

Wednesday . chilli con carne with boiled rice . only 140 b .

Thursday . fish n chips . only 120 b .

Friday . all day breakfast . only 130 b .

Saturday . chicken in cashew nuts with steamed rice . only 120 b .

Sunday . assorted pies with steak fries and baked beans . only 150 b .

I have not tried any of those specials since the RH resumed food service, but I have had most of them in the past and they were very good.  It's the same chef this time round, so it should be just as good.

Another option on LK Metro is the Wok N Rok take-away stand in front of the Office A Go Go.  It serves the same U.K.-style Chinese food as in the former Wok N Rok Restaurant on Soi Bukhao. The kiosk is open from 6 p.m. until "late."

post-276-0-80813100-1461347298.jpg

And before anyone objects, I consider the food it serves to be Western because U.K.-style Chinese is quite different to the food you'd get in a restaurant in China.

post-276-0-01256200-1461347305.jpg

It has an extensive menu, with most of Chinese-style favorites Westerners will recognize from their neighborhood take-aways back home.  There are a few Indian dishes on the menu as well.

post-276-0-86590600-1461347314.jpg

The dishes range in price from 149 back  to under 250 baht for some of the two-dish specials.  I've lifted a few of the pics from the Wok N Rok thread to give an idea of what's on offer.

post-276-0-01844100-1461364030.jpg

post-276-0-62508900-1461364026.jpg

post-276-0-00003000-1461364033.jpg

If you enjoy U.K.-style Chinese food, the Wok N Rok does it better than any restaurant in Pattaya.

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 3

My suggestion for this thread is "Das Berliner Bistro".

It's on Soi 13 next to The Sportsman.

On offer is a wide selection of tasty German meals for 160 or 170 Baht each.

That means you can include drink and tip, and still meet Mr Evil's 300 Baht limit!

Note that this is a sit-down, aircon restaurant, not a roadside stall.

It is a slightly weird place, like a step back in time.

I've seen a German reviewer say that it's like Berlin cafes used to be in the 1970s / 80s.

The surliness of the waiting staff is probably Berlin style also.

If, like me , you like goulash and noodles, or sauerbraten and red cabbage for breakfast at midday,

this is the place for you.

Another advantage of German cuisine is that it involves very little melted cheese.

Yes, my one man crusade against excessive cheese continues :)

Edited by xdrt33

DSCF0023.jpg

Here's an interior shot, which I finally managed to upload.

Edited by xdrt33

Interesting and informative thread EP.  With all this eating you have to do to provide the required information, would it be possible to have a weekly weight indicator to see how you are fairing?

Just jesting, what a welcome change to "Where can I find this WS Stunna"

My suggestion for this thread is "Das Berliner Bistro".

It's on Soi 13 next to The Sportsman.

If, like me , you like goulash and noodles, or sauerbraten and red cabbage for breakfast at midday,

this is the place for you.

Thank you very much for that suggestion! I do indeed like goulash and noodles and sauerbraten and red cabbage. My paternal grandmother was of German-Dutch retraction and I ate more German-style cooking as a kid than most American children.  :001_Thank_You5:

And on to Tuesday's dinner:

post-6485-0-36674300-1461698351.jpg

I tried the Tuesday special special at Nicky's near the intersection of Soi Bukhao and Soi 15. The facade of the building had been redone. The 175-baht special was chicken casserole, which resembles a stew but has been cooked slowly in the oven rather than on top of the stove.

post-6485-0-03173300-1461698336.jpg

The casserole was advertised as coming with a crusty rolls, but I guess they had run out of rolls by the time I ordered my meal at 9.30 pm and I got two slices of buttered bread.  It was excellent bread, fresh and with a home-baked taste.

post-6485-0-10452600-1461698340.jpg

The portion was very large, more than enough for me.

post-6485-0-34774300-1461698344.jpg

The casserole consisted of chunks and pieces of chicken, potato, carrots  and celery in a delicious thick sauce.

post-6485-0-06763800-1461698348.jpg

Nicky's offers a different special every day Monday through Saturday at 175 baht as well as a week-long two-course special at 300 baht.

post-6485-0-62593400-1461698331.jpg

Bottom line:  The chicken casserole was a very filling meal for 175 baht and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Evil

devil.gif

attachicon.gifIMG_20160423_020312 (Small).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160423_020450 (Small).jpg

I will full agree with you.Some years now it's great.

Higly recomand.And a good place to see what happens

arround.555.Enjoy.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Thanks for that yummy selection striderman.

Actually, I'm all in favour of cheese and crackers.

I just don't like melted cheese poured all over my dinner.

:Puke2:

You wont be able to shit right for a month

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

What about left?

What about left?

That's a possibility

Sent from my LG g3

babydollsaddict.gif

I wanted to try the relocated Sizzler on the Beach Road side of Royal Garden Plaza.  Our initial plan had been to  eat lunch there and take advantage of the pre-4 pm specials for less than 300 baht, but  we were delayed until 5.30 pm, so we had to order from the regular menu.

It's a very spacious restaurant that had only a few customers at that hour.

post-6485-0-41254800-1461785132.jpg

The signature salad bar was still in good shape, with the 60-some bowls, trays and containers all full and fresh.

post-6485-0-49623700-1461785145.jpg

post-6485-0-74067100-1461785149.jpg

post-6485-0-68173200-1461785136.jpg

post-6485-0-02543100-1461785141.jpg

I decided to see if I could remain under 300 baht for a main course - and I could, at 299 baht.  There were even a couple of main dishes around 250 baht, but they were all chicken.  Forget beef, pork, fish or seafood if you want to spend less than 300 baht.  

But first, we took a turn at the salad bar.  My Source Coyote's choices:

post-6485-0-27821000-1461786014.jpg

And a bowl of very tasty hot and sour soup.

post-6485-0-07407100-1461785126.jpg

My plate of salad (cole slaw; minted carrots and almond; pumpkin and cashews; Asian potato salad) and the Sizzler toast that comes with some mains.  It was all very good.

post-6485-0-56338300-1461786017.jpg

I ordered the hibachi chicken with pineapple and rice for 299 baht.

post-6485-0-20391400-1461785977.jpg

It was a rather small portion in and of itself, but considering unlimited helpings at the salad bar, which features soup, pasta, fruit and desserts as well as "make-it-yourself" salad ingredients and prepared salads, you won't leave Sizzler hungry.

post-6485-0-65424500-1461786020.jpg

In any case, we ordered two more mains and split them, so it was indeed a filling and varied meal.

We had the New York steak:

post-6485-0-00273600-1461785158.jpg

post-6485-0-87639200-1461785161.jpg

and the sizzling shrimp, both of which were delicious.

post-6485-0-99468400-1461785153.jpg

post-6485-0-48237700-1461785991.jpg

post-6485-0-33940200-1461785988.jpg

Bottom line:  We had an excellent meal at Sizzler, but if you want to stay under 300 baht, get there before 4 pm unless you're fond of chicken.

Evil

devil.gif

As I will be back in Thailand in a couple of weeks I was wondering if anyone has come across poutine in Pattaya or maybe Bangkok. Sounds like an interesting dish but where I live in Central Queensland there is no chance of finding it.

Never buy anything with a handle. It only means work.

For a good meal for less than 150baht, try Malee 3 on a small soi off of Soi Buakhao, opposite Pattaya City Hospital (where Mai Thai motorbike shop is). Good selection and they do good roast dinners, very reasonable, usually around 100 -to- 130b for main meal. They have a special each day, which is usually a roast. So, with a couple of beers, still under 300b.

Others: very good Italian restaurant on Soi Bongkot. Location is near from the Third-Road end of Soi Bongkot. There is a thread on it here: http://www.pattaya-a...nt-soi-bongkot/Also, Jibee Restaurant near there as well.

Great street-food place at the end of Soi Bukuaw on the corner of Pattaya Tai. Popular with local Thais. Pork and rice.

Finally, there is an excellent set of food places right next to a coach transit place which are in turn next to the Alcazar Cabaret venue on Pattaya 2nd Rd (across from Soi 5) along from the parade of bars known as Drinking Street. These food places are adjacent to this coach transit area (which seems to be for tourist groups going to the show) just off 2nd Rd. Quite a number of food places here with central set of tables and chairs to sit and eat your meal.

"Look up, laugh loud, talk big, keep the color in your cheek and the fire in your eye, adorn your person, maintain your health, your beauty and your animal spirits." -William Hazlitt

As I will be back in Thailand in a couple of weeks I was wondering if anyone has come across poutine in Pattaya or maybe Bangkok. Sounds like an interesting dish but where I live in Central Queensland there is no chance of finding it.

I don't think you'll have much luck with that one, especially if you're looking for authentic Quebec-style poutine made from fries, squeaky cheese curds and a light gravy. Pics from the Net.

201473-poutine.jpg

poolroom.jpg

Of course, there are many variations of poutine across Canada.  In the rest of the world, there are some dishes involving fries (chips), cheese and gravy. I recall that Elvis fries (steak fries, beef gravy and cheddar cheese) and disco fries (same as Elvis, except with mozzarella cheese) were available in New Jersey and New York, supposedly U.S. versions of poutine. 

Chili cheese fries are available in Pattaya, but that's a far cry from real poutine.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm poutine.

• Like 1

Others: very good Italian restaurant on Soi Bongkot. Location is near from the Third-Road end of Soi Bongkot. There is a thread on it here: http://www.pattaya-a...nt-soi-bongkot/Also, Jibee Restaurant near there as well.

The Italian restaurant is closed now.

Edited by expatdude

I like the Thursday special at Robins Nest, lasagna with garlic bread and salad well worth the 195baht.

As mentioned the OhLaLa half chicken and chips for 195 is another favourite and The Seaside in soi 7 has some very good meals under 200. I always have the roast chicken with mash, a bit dry but tasty and filling.

Jack O Tar bar Soi 6 has good meals for under 200 and view across the street is excellent. 

keep your shit to yourself

This is about his shit thank you

Sent from my LG g3

babydollsaddict.gif

very good Italian restaurant on Soi Bongkot. Location is near from the Third-Road end of Soi Bongkot. There is a thread on it here: http://www.pattaya-a...nt-soi-bongkot/

The Italian restaurant is closed now.

That's a shame, although I'm not entirely surprised as they had not much passing trade there

"Look up, laugh loud, talk big, keep the color in your cheek and the fire in your eye, adorn your person, maintain your health, your beauty and your animal spirits." -William Hazlitt