Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

Loving this thread m8t, soldier on.

I'd love to know where is your favorite breakfast spot in central pattaya area.  If I miss the "free" breakfast at my hotel, I usually hit KISS on 2nd, nothing special, but served 24hrs.  I'd love to find a really good western breakfast served in the afternoon.

Cheers Alex

I'm a bad one to ask about breakfast as I usually don't eat a Western breakfast.  There are a couple of threads in this section which deal extensively with breakfast choices and you can find some good suggestions in them.  Quite a few restaurants in Pattaya offer all-day breakfasts, but I really don't know which one would be considered best.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Loving this thread m8t, soldier on.

I'd love to know where is your favorite breakfast spot in central pattaya area.  If I miss the "free" breakfast at my hotel, I usually hit KISS on 2nd, nothing special, but served 24hrs.  I'd love to find a really good western breakfast served in the afternoon.

Cheers Alex

Try the Rockhouse Breakfast. I tried it and was very impressed. Will be my breakfast go to from now on.

post-6485-0-32231000-1462827898.jpg

Das Berliner Bistro, off Soi 13 between Beach Road and 2nd Road, is a venerable Pattaya restaurant. I don't know exactly how long it's been in operation, but it's been offering German and Thai food for quite a few years.  

post-6485-0-33736900-1462827936.jpg

There are two entrances to Das Berliner.  One is reached from the the walkway that runs beside the Sportsman ...

post-6485-0-84193200-1462827938.jpg

and the other is reached through the entrance to a parking lot.

post-6485-0-44512500-1462827944.jpg

post-6485-0-33319900-1462827947.jpg

It's a small restaurant, unpretentious, clean and comfortable.

post-6485-0-43733100-1462828173.jpg

The decorations on the wall have an old-fashioned feel about them, harking back to the 1970's.

post-6485-0-68048800-1462828169.jpg

post-6485-0-58485500-1462828109.jpg

Das Berliner offers Hausmannskost, or German home-style cooking, at very reasonable prices.  Many of the main dishes on the menu go for 159 or 169 baht.  A half-liter of draft Tiger costs 150 baht.

post-6485-0-83591900-1462828112.jpg

Given that it's a nice place to have a quiet meal, I wish I could give a more enthusiastic endorsement of its food, but I have to be true to my taste buds.  One recent meal I had at Das Berliner was good, the other not so.  I'll begin with the positive part.  I had the Berlin sausage with sauerkraut and boiled potatoes for 159 baht.

post-6485-0-86638900-1462828128.jpg

It was a simple meal yet tasty.  I had no big complaints, only two minor points I thought could be improved.  The sauerkraut, which I'm sure was homemade, could have been a bit more acidic, and the mustard in the condiment basket wasn't real German mustard. It tasted like what we call in the U.S. "ballpark mustard," the type that was served with hot dogs at baseball stadiums.

post-6485-0-70203100-1462828131.jpg

The sausage had probably been made locally and was quite good.

post-6485-0-28355400-1462828136.jpg

post-6485-0-11895700-1462828145.jpg

post-6485-0-83615200-1462828151.jpg

My next meal, sauerbraten with red cabbage and boiled potatoes for 169 baht, was disappointing. Sauerbraten is German-style pot roast with a mildly sour flavor.  The key step is to marinate the beef for at least two days, then cook it slowly with vegetables for three or four hours.  While the sauce had the traditional tang,  the meat itself had an oddly sweet taste, which said to me too much sugar had been added to the marinade.

post-6485-0-02084500-1462828116.jpg

The red cabbage wasn't sour enough for my taste, either.

post-6485-0-04018500-1462828119.jpg

post-6485-0-89681800-1462828121.jpg

I also thought the meat was a bit dry, as though it had been left to stand too long after cooking.

post-6485-0-10180700-1462828125.jpg

Bottom line:  I'll go back to Das Berliner to try some of its other dishes, especially pork knuckle, but it will be awhile before I take another chance on the sauerbraten.

In past years, Das Berliner has been quite crowded, but it had few guests the nights I ate there.  You can see in the pic below the staff didn't have much to do.

post-6485-0-78462800-1462828105.jpg

A few more interior shots:

post-6485-0-36683500-1462828155.jpg

post-6485-0-90370400-1462828158.jpg

post-6485-0-92147900-1462828165.jpg

Evil

devil.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil

Thank you for an amazing thread.

As a newbie, I now have "much food for thought".(excuse the pun) regarding dinning options for western food.

To be able to budget effectively you could not have helped more

thanks again

Try the Rockhouse Breakfast. I tried it and was very impressed. Will be my breakfast go to from now on.

Thanks, will do, Cheers Alex

Ive been up and down 13 many, many times, in fact one of my favorite massage places is on it...but alas have never seen the Das Berliner....but I do love german food and will now add it to my list of stops...THANK YOU!

Cant wait to try the schnitzel if its on offer...Im guessing Spaetzle is too much to hope for.

Cheers, Alex

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

Thanks, will do, Cheers Alex

Most of the bars on LK offer breakfast Golf club,kilkenny Irovers,and on Diana robins nest,personal choice which is best?

Thanks for another great report Evil, I look forward to reading about the pork knuckle if you get around to trying it.  :Cheers9:

Great Thread Evil. Hope you have a list of 4 best ribs in town coz I intend to do a rib eating frenzy while in town.

See you soon and thank you for all your efforts.

Swiss food restaurant, soi diamond.  about 300 baht and a big menu

IMG_5871.jpg

• Like 2

Swiss food restaurant, soi diamond.  about 300 baht and a big menu

attachicon.gifIMG_5871.jpg

I thought it had closed and moved to Soi 7 ?

Or is that a different one ?

I thought it had closed and moved to Soi 7 ?

Or is that a different one ?

the original one has been there 30 years and isnt going anywhere.  next door to diamond a gogo, or for the perverts across from Windmill :)

Thanks for the review of Das Berliner, Mr Evil. I agree about the sauerbraten and red cabbage.

Both were too sweet for me. I've certainly had better, but not for 170 baht!

The assorted pork and beef steaks + sauces are a better bet.

...Im guessing Spaetzle is too much to hope for.

Yes, I think it is. I don't recall seeing it on the menu.

If it was on there, I'd have tried it.

There's plenty of other good stuff in there, though....

....and all for 170 baht or less.

• Like 1

buffet dinner for 200 baht at bella express something for everyone 

• Like 2

buffet dinner for 200 baht at bella express something for everyone 

Thank you for that one.  I've been meaning to try the Bella Express.  Just wondering- is 200 baht the current price?  That seems very cheap for what you get according to the video.

Evil

On Agoda it says breakfast buffet is 300b when not in room the rate so I would think the dinner would be similar.

Never buy anything with a handle. It only means work.

Thank you for that one.  I've been meaning to try the Bella Express.  Just wondering- is 200 baht the current price?  That seems very cheap for what you get according to the video.

Evil

200 is 6-7pm price then goes up to 250 

the original one has been there 30 years and isnt going anywhere.  next door to diamond a gogo, or for the perverts across from windmill :)

Yes, for a "finer" dining experience, Swiss is certainly one of the better values around town.  I visit at least twice on each trip.  Good food, reasonable prices and surprisingly efficient service.

Cheers, Alex

• Like 1

Great post

A big thumbs up from me for MyWay also, never ever had a bad feed there.

My Way...added to my list, thanks again...this thread ROCKS!  Soldier on sir.   :)

If I can get 1000island dressing on that salad and add a side of spinach, I'd be in heaven for the price.

Is that a mushroom cream sauce or more of a pepper thing or ?

My Way...added to my list, thanks again...this thread ROCKS!  Soldier on sir.   :)

If I can get 1000island dressing on that salad and add a side of spinach, I'd be in heaven for the price.

Is that a mushroom cream sauce or more of a pepper thing or ?

It's a mushroom sauce, but I'm pretty sure they do it with a pepper sauce also. Some people don't like the fact that they sit the steak on plate with the sauce, just ask for a gravy boat if you don't want the sauce how it comes on the plate. Also they will do your salad without their mayonnaise already through it, once again I really like how it comes but if you prefer it without just order it that way.  

I prefer their "home fried" potatoes over mashed, potatoes sliced and cooked with bacon and onion. They provide a small mayonnaise for your "home fried" potatoes or french fries also.

I like to take a nice bottle of red when I eat out at any of the Pattaya steak restaurants I visit, I always bring a few over to Pattaya with me. I think MyWay's corkage for byo is about 300 baht per bottle, so maybe a bit expensive for some, I certainly don't mind as I can drink a nice wine with a lovely meal.

Edited by Gnorman
  • Like 1