Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

1 hour ago, rebel_1812 said:

Does Jotmien count for this?  Their is a good all you can eat buffet near Rompho market that is around 300 baht.

@rebel_1812

Yes, Jomtien is fine.  Please give as many details of this restaurant (name, location, type of buffet, opening hours) as you can.  300 baht for a buffet is a bargain and I'm sure many BMs would be interested.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Here's one for North Americans:  homemade pork corn dogs from Tigglebitties Tavern.  I ordered them (100 baht each) for delivery and added a slice of apple pie for 80 baht to clear the free-delivery threshold at 250 baht.

IMG_0252a.jpg.203c1b89823e1e6f65c5857bb3336f13.jpg

A corn dog is a hot dog sausage on a stick that has been dipped in a cornmeal batter and deep fried. It's a relatively new entry into the U.S. fast-food pantheon,  having been invented in the late 1930s or early1940s.  One story credits a hot dog vendor who had missed the delivery of buns and decided to coat them with batter used for frying fish.  The stick was added so customers could eat them on the go.  Like the hamburger and hot dog, the corn dog was first sold at fairs and carnivals.

IMG_0253a.jpg.34782c2561803663571ef77e012a19ba.jpg

Tigglebitties' corn dogs were excellent.  A  good-quality hot dog had been used, covered with a light layer of cornmeal and properly fried to golden brown.  It came with ketchup and U.S. ballpark mustard.  It was the perfect food to trigger memories of visits to state and county fairs in my childhood.  

IMG_0257a.jpg.598a8f4a6c5fa8ca4b209e512b49018d.jpg

Corn dogs aren't on Tigglebitties' regular menu, but appear from time-to-time as a daily special.

cornfog.jpg.62f10bd77d5e8da3bb5a491757e585d8.jpg

That's just as well,  as corn dogs aren't exactly health food.  They're waist-expanding and artery-clogging, with about 40% of the 330-calorie-count coming from fat.   I have them a few times a year as a treat.  I doubt I'd schlep out to Soi Regional Land just for a corn dog, but home delivery got them to me in 20 minutes.

IMG_0264.jpg.bf8358f14aa9fa559ac26a4d4b5b826c.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg.4ebea58b56e09889f31c0d37604bb60b.jpg

And I didn't make my meal any healthier with a piece of apple pie, but it is the quintessential American dessert that I long for on occasion.

IMG_0260.jpg.180166cde14c1775100f719cdcc3cf9f.jpg

Tigglebitties offers the best apple pie I've had in Pattaya.  The crust is light and flaky and the filling isn't too sweet.  :Clap:

Bottom line:  Tigglebitties is one of the best options in Pattaya for American favorites at reasonable prices.  Home delivery makes it hard to resist the temptation.

You can check out the daily specials and delivery menu at  https://www.hotmeals2u.com.  Delivery is available from 8.30 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Went to Tigglebitties yesterday and had the chili cheese burger, was well impressed with the burger, think it was 280B, came with fries, which were average, some wedges or similar, would have made all the difference.

I tried a piece of the burger patty before diving in and it was really good. 

Must return for chili but not sure its on daily menu, am sure I have seen it advertised, maybe just daily special??

I have always likes Tiggles, not sure how to describe it, perhaps TexMex. Seems a popular place too.

tgls thumbnail_IMG_9888.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Must return for chili but not sure its on daily menu, am sure I have seen it advertised, maybe just daily special??

The bowl of chili is on the regular menu as an appetizer:

menu5.JPG.fa190e44fafcddd2ac41e0d14a4e6e61.JPG

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

I have always likes Tiggles, not sure how to describe it, perhaps TexMex. Seems a popular place too.

Its menu offers a lot of U.S. comfort food and Thai standards as well as TexMex.

menu6.JPG.be9377365b929693f5ba56f506972a76.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised to see they had albondigas on the menu. That's a traditional Mexican soup and not TexMex.

menu2.JPG.95cc2ae2f74ee806190fcd6006c5a04e.JPG

Burger and hot dog choices abound.

menu.JPG.ea14733aa504bbce9d809d9b8085cc48.JPG

The breakfast menu is also extensive.  Tigglebitties is the only place I know of in Pattaya where you can get really good biscuits and gravy.  The biscuits are baked on site.

menu3.JPG.f928b7f3348bb5d806de54f316aafdfe.JPG

menu4.JPG.2ea698590d15d786033738ad7e5ed0cd.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Here's one for North Americans:  homemade pork corn dogs from Tigglebitties Tavern.  I ordered them (100 baht each) for delivery and added a slice of apple pie for 80 baht to clear the free-delivery threshold at 250 baht.

Tigglebitties' corn dogs were excellent.  A  good-quality hot dog had been used, covered with a light layer of cornmeal and properly fried to golden brown.  It came with ketchup and U.S. ballpark mustard.  It was the perfect food to trigger memories of visits to state and county fairs in my childhood.  

Corn dogs aren't on Tigglebitties' regular menu, but appear from time-to-time as a daily special.

Thanks for the feedback on this!  I have seen them posted on TB's FB page - good to know they get the EP Seal of Approval!

Corn dogs are a "once in a blue moon" treat for me, so happy that there is a viable option for them in Pattaya.

Ditto on the apple pie

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Corn dogs are a "once in a blue moon" treat for me, so happy that there is a viable option for them in Pattaya.

Ditto on the apple pie

Yup, it's a rare treat for me as well.  That small meal of two corn dogs and a piece of apple pie had about 1,000 calories, or half of what I need on a daily basis.

Evil

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

... and added a slice of apple pie for 80 baht ... the quintessential American dessert that I long for on occasion.

IMG_0260.jpg.180166cde14c1775100f719cdcc3cf9f.jpg

... crust is light and flaky and the filling isn't too sweet.

I take your enthusiastic Tigglebitties endorsement .. you've a practiced and critical eye for dining, and have over the years offered up some pretty good stuff .. even going back to the days of now defunct Bangkok2night forum where we traded useful dining recommendations.

I hear you Evil, I do .. but .. Tigglebitties pie has a bit of a low-rider look to it .. the apple filling appears a bit .. mmmm, mushy .. mushing out from the crust .. are they selecting baking apples that hold their shape under heat, and don't go mushy? .. or, is it intentionally baked for a low-rider appeal?

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

I see Thai versions of corn dogs all over Thailand especially in Thai fairs and local markets where they sell food. Its looks identical to the American corn dog but the deference is the price, only 10bht for 1 and just like everything else in Thailand the batter is sweet instead of savory which is catered to Thai taste buds.

2 hours ago, brutox said:

I hear you Evil, I do .. but .. Tigglebitties pie has a bit of a low-rider look to it .. the apple filling appears a bit .. mmmm, mushy .. mushing out from the crust .. are they selecting baking apples that hold their shape under heat, and don't go mushy? .. or, is it intentionally baked for a low-rider appeal?

I think it may have had jolting during the transport by moto and some of the filling spilled out the side.  The apples weren't too mushy.  Here's a pic of a slice of pie from an earlier order that survived the trip better.

IMG_0249.jpg.2744ac0fd54bdfc84ce6af5a80fc4bda.jpg

And one from Thanksgiving dinner at the restaurant:

IMG_0017.jpg.01be2a341e43a92ece6fcf32a3ccf402.jpg.4b5d677cdb6e2abc5d9b041b0855c81b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dan2016 said:

I see Thai versions of corn dogs all over Thailand especially in Thai fairs and local markets where they sell food. Its looks identical to the American corn dog but the deference is the price, only 10bht for 1 and just like everything else in Thailand the batter is sweet instead of savory which is catered to Thai taste buds.

Battered sausages on a stick are sold in Thailand, but they aren't corn dogs as the batter consisted of rice flour and bread crumbs.  The appearance is similar, but the taste is very different. At least that's what I've been told.  I've never had one.

Local versions of battered hot dogs are also sold as street food in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, but again, the taste is very different from the American corn dog.

Evil

US comfort food, exactly the words I was looking for. Menu is exciting, missed the chili last night.

Suspect some would find location off putting but seem to get a steady crowd. 

What time do they open, my just reroute my morning walk after reading that breakfast menu? 

Harry's restaurant and bar, soi Diana. 

Got leo draft. Both pints not cold. Oh well, 69 baht each. 

Nachos. 245 baht or something like that.

Thick layer of mozzarella on top of the Chili con carne so I couldn't attack it with the chips, which were actually quite crunchy and good. 

The Chili con carne itself was ok but a little bit dry and quite salty. And I like my food on the saltier side. 

Wouldn't be rushing back for it. 

Needed more Chili con carne and less cheese.

Waitress was your typical battle hardened soi buakhao waitress who didn't smile, say hello or thanks in our interaction. Therefore not even a 1 baht tip. 

Was ok, robins nest is better for food. At least you get some decent service there.

IMG_20200105_180757.jpg

Edited by wogggy

1 hour ago, wogggy said:

Harry's restaurant and bar, soi Diana. 

Harry's does a good job with Swedish food and international favorites like hamburgers.  Nachos may be a culinary bridge too far.  Restaurants that over-reach the chef's abilities and familiarity  with certain dishes end up serving crap.  They would be better sticking to shorter menus.

Evil

It was the only Mexican item on the menu. It was listed as an appetizer. And their menu was fairly small. If I return I will try the Swedish food but it sounds pretty boring.

Fried pork with boiled potatoes? Guess you don't know till you try

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wogggy said:

The Chili con carne itself was ok but a little bit dry and quite salty.

This has been a problem with every dish I have had at Harrys .... too salty!!

26 minutes ago, wogggy said:

It was the only Mexican item on the menu. It was listed as an appetizer. And their menu was fairly small. If I return I will try the Swedish food but it sounds pretty boring.

The Plank Steak is good value, if you don't mind it too salty.

A couple of restaurants that I reviewed in stand-alone threads deserve a link in this one.

Sunday roast at the Maquee Bar:

IMG_0189.jpg.3dfccafe1123cc41191d62e3e1793f50.jpg

At 100 baht, it's Pattaya's lowest-priced Sunday roast.  It's at the lower end of the "good" range, but still holds the standard.

Siam Lounge on Pattaya Klang Soi 12

Good German, Thai and international food under 300 baht.

1187066829_00(5).jpg.d36f2559c4108b7a6a3ba4b709e911a7.jpg

04.jpg.f9c54591c740cf2688c8ab093b6f9b56.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg.56fe61dfbfdd0ef7a7cddb9ec47a5177.jpg

Evil

On 05/01/2020 at 20:35, wogggy said:

Fried pork with boiled potatoes? Guess you don't know till you try

I'd recommend their fried potatoes/chopped-sausage/ham/onions with a fried-egg on-top & pickled-beetroot, for about B200, ask for 'pyttipanna'  (pronounced put - eee - pan - na)  ...  it's typical Swedish comfort-food, a sort of hash.

6 minutes ago, semi-retired member said:

I'd recommend their fried potatoes/chopped-sausage/ham/onions with a fried-egg on-top & pickled-beetroot, for about B200, ask for 'pyttipanna'  (pronounced put - eee - pan - na)  ...  it's typical Swedish comfort-food, a sort of hash.

That sounded great....until the pickled beetroot!  5555

• Like 1

Just now, Luv2Phuket said:

That sounded great....until the pickled beetroot!  5555

It compliments the main dish IMO, but you don't have to actually eat it, of course.

Why do we put sliced-gherkin on a burger, or salt-&-vinegar on chips ?

37 minutes ago, semi-retired member said:

It compliments the main dish IMO, but you don't have to actually eat it, of course.

Why do we put sliced-gherkin on a burger, or salt-&-vinegar on chips ?

Gotcha - looked up photos and saw that it's served on the side, kinda like those damn cucumbers the Thais always serve with things!  5555

• Haha 1

I hope it is ok to post a link to The Rib Shack Menu. We have many dishes under 300 baht (and good, I hope).

The Rib Shack is at The Hideaway Guest House and Bar on Soi Buakhao 15, behind The Avenue shopping Mall.

Club Sandwich.JPG

Chicken mash and veg.JPG

Cheeseburger (2).JPG

Chicken Salad 2.JPG

English Breakfast.jpg

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

Ribs by customer.jpg

Edited by Hideaway
Added directions.

31 minutes ago, Hideaway said:

I hope it is ok to post a link to The Rib Shack Menu. We have many dishes under 300 baht (and good, I hope).

It's certainly fine by me.  The more members and restaurant owners who contribute, the more useful the thread becomes.  

Your post also served as a reminder it's time to try the Rib Shack again.  So many restaurants and so few calories I should be consuming.

Evil

• Like 3

The rack of ribs is listed over 300 baht and the photo looks oversaturated :wink:

Retired

41 minutes ago, Piece Corp said:

The rack of ribs is listed over 300 baht and the photo looks oversaturated :wink:

Good that someone can say that. :-) I know your a photo guy.

But he want to sell food. :-)

Edited by jones78
  • Like 2