IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

4 hours ago, Hideaway said:

Please correct me if I am wrong on the beef ribs.

on the 2nd pic from sifil, it shows BBQ beef ribs 400g on the menu for 350 bahts.

• Like 2

Player in the Game of Life

on the 2nd pic from sifil, it shows BBQ beef ribs 400g on the menu for 350 bahts.

The picture was pork ribs...Beef ribs are much, much larger. Because a cow's ribs are many times larger than a pigs. Some restaurants have beef ribs that are so big you only get one or two per order.

I recently tried the ribs 289bht at the Hideaway Bukhaow Soi 15. Excellent! Sorry, no pic.

• Like 2

image.png

13 hours ago, robert6996 said:

Quite right, I stand corrected, will definitely give them a try myself. If anyone has a photo of those beef ribs would be good.

The main kitchen at The Hideaway is closed on Mondays, but I still have to eat ......

4 hours ago, vivid2 said:

The picture was pork ribs...Beef ribs are much, much larger. Because a cow's ribs are many times larger than a pigs. Some restaurants have beef ribs that are so big you only get one or two per order.

Look at the 2nd picture that Sifil posted of the menu.

Player in the Game of Life

• 1 month later...

My favorite breakfast:  Smoked haddock with poached eggs and coffee at the Queen Victoria on Soi 6 for 250 baht.

IMG_20190614_092657.thumb.jpg.b47571a351e731a726ff3e3e315e07da.jpg

Retired

• 1 month later...

Pho Mr. Nam the Vietnamese Pho Shop on Thappraya has just posted on Facebook that he is closing shop mid August. 

1 hour ago, jwdub said:

Pho Mr. Nam the Vietnamese Pho Shop on Thappraya has just posted on Facebook that he is closing shop mid August. 

Not surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to El Greco a few nights ago and had lamb gyros and it was excellent. 250B and came with a complimentary pita bread and Tzatziki and when finished lame, a free portion of a cinnamon type cake desert. Service very good also.

Greek_IMG_8717.jpg

Greek_IMG_8718.jpg

Last night went to Pepper & Salt on darkside and had special menu, which was beef stroganoff at 295B, and was so good. It was, for me, more like a goulash, beef was moist and tender, so much flavor, service very good too. 

Did suggest to waitress that they display specials on a board outside, so as can be seen by passer byes. 

P and S_IMG_8727.jpg

Heading into town yesterday evening, passing Caddyshack, noticed sign displaying daily special, stake & ale pie at 215B. No complaints about food, Caddyshack has been on the go for well over 12 years that I know of, always was a quality , well kept place, comfortable with well trained staff and has maintained these standards throughout the years.

Sad to report that its close neighbor has finished trading, Punch & Judy.

thumbnail_IMG_8791.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last Thursday, went to Retox Linkee for their daily special, which was Chili cheeseburger with bacon. Came with hand cut chips and a sour cream. All great value for 195B, no complaints.

retox_IMG_8868.jpg

retox_IMG_8869.jpg

• Like 2

Went for lunch mid week to O'Gara's at Tara Court, had chili and chips, a bargain at 195B. Chili was spicy and tasted good, chips average. If this dish was pimped up with something like grated cheddar and salad, would be well worth paying an extra 20%.

O'Gara's is a nice bar but staff useless, too many of them and loudmouthed.

They have several comfort food items on menu at 195B. 

ogara_IMG_8858.jpg

Went to Sportsman yesterday and had their special, Chinese style crispy beef, came with prawn crackers, hand cut chips and a curry sauce. Beef a tad tough but a very tasty dish, chips excellent, curry sauce a bit bland but OK. Also had a portion of egg fried rice, which was OK.

Guess its a smart way of utilizing Sundays left over roast beef.

A substantial meal, priced at 295B. 

Sportsman is-and always has been-well run with proper trained staff.

Must return to try their Sunday Roast buffet. 

Sportsman_IMG_8896.jpg

56 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Went to Sportsman yesterday and had their special, Chinese style crispy beef, came with prawn crackers, hand cut chips and a curry sauce. Beef a tad tough but a very tasty dish, chips excellent, curry sauce a bit bland but OK. Also had a portion of egg fried rice, which was OK.

Guess its a smart way of utilizing Sundays left over roast beef.

A substantial meal, priced at 295B. 

Sportsman is-and always has been-well run with proper trained staff.

Must return to try their Sunday Roast buffet. 

Sportsman_IMG_8896.jpg

Thanks for that review!  I saw that posted on their FB page and it looked pretty damn good

I swear by their Sunday Roast.  I'm usually only in Pattaya for one or maybe two Sundays, so it's hard to convince myself to try someone else's. 

Sunday roasts in Pattaya are a real treat for me.  Even though I am American, my Mom is British and my Grandma (her Mother, who lived with us) used to make phenomenal roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding when I was a kid.  Although options abound in Pattaya, I am in a barren wasteland for Sunday roasts (OR Yorkshire pudding) here in LA.  I went to one place that was somewhat touted and it absolutely sucked.  I'm less than 3 months out from digging into them again.  5555

Yesterday, paid a return visit to A La Turca, a Turkish place inside Central, 5th floor, far corner away from Beach road.

The chicken was well seasoned, moist and tasty. Came with lots of different salads.

I am not a fan of those thick flat breads, so I ordered a Lavas bread, its like a football and really thin. Goes great with the chicken & salad and sauces provided-a chili, mayo and tomato sauce and also chili flakes.

Think it was 210B.

Its a favorite of mine and visit about once a month, service good also.

turk_IMG_8897.jpg

2 hours ago, jimboh said:

Yesterday, paid a return visit to A La Turca, a Turkish place inside Central, 5th floor, far corner away from Beach road.

The chicken was well seasoned, moist and tasty. Came with lots of different salads.

I am not a fan of those thick flat breads, so I ordered a Lavas bread, its like a football and really thin. Goes great with the chicken & salad and sauces provided-a chili, mayo and tomato sauce and also chili flakes.

Think it was 210B.

Its a favorite of mine and visit about once a month, service good also.

turk_IMG_8897.jpg

That looks healthy and delicious. Never even noticed the place before but will definitely give it a go!

thanks mate!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Bottom line:  Cheap Charlie's is definitely a competitive entry in the crowded field of restaurants vying for budget-conscious customers who want farang food at  a low price. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Evil

Good to see you on this thread again, Evil. Your culinary expertise, photos and descriptions are always top notch. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Yep, it is what it is, i had a breakfast and fish and chips on my two visits, not massive portions which is to be expected for the prices, but basically i had no complaints, would i go again....yes!

Out of the Budget 3, CC gets my vote, the membership card is a also a plus, its open late as well, CM closes pretty early.

• Like 2

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

40 minutes ago, Bawdy said:

Out of the Budget 3, CC gets my vote, the membership card is a also a plus, its open late as well, CM closes pretty early.

Chunky monkey also not open as early in morning.  FWIW - I thought the CC breakfast(89b one few months back) was the best value breakfast in Pattaya.  Not the best by far, but very good value.

• Like 3

^ You also get a free tea or coffee refill with the membership card.

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.