IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

On 09/02/2019 at 18:35, Atlas said:

Hey all,

I was after a place that serves "liver and bacon with gravy" plus mash etc. I used to go to Pig & Whistle but have gone off the place of late... Any ideas ? 

TIA :)

I had a craving for this last week, loved the one they served at Robins Nest, I kept coming back for more and I rarely eat falang food in LOS.

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

Thanks to Evil for the informative and entertaining post re Big Kahuna. Excellent report as usual.

The place Big Kahuna. is absolutely empty of costumers  every day as I walk past there at least 4 time a day and never see anyone inside? I'm surprised the place i still in business as what looks like overpriced mediocre  American food as you can go next door to Continental bakery where its packed every day for breakfast and have 2 huge fresh, tasty, fluffy pancakes with your choose of toppings for 80-110 bht.

Edited by dan2016
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, dan2016 said:

The place Big Kahuna. is absolutely empty of costumers  every day as I walk past there at least 4 time a day and never see anyone inside? I'm surprised the place i still in business as what looks like overpriced mediocre  American food as you can go next door to Continental bakery where its packed every day for breakfast and have huge fresh, tasty, fluffy pancakes with your choose of toppings for 80-110 bht.

You're right Big K seems to be struggling, but have you tried their pancakes? They're really quite good. 

1 hour ago, dan2016 said:

The place Big Kahuna. is absolutely empty of costumers  every day as I walk past there at least 4 time a day and never see anyone inside? I'm surprised the place i still in business as what looks like overpriced mediocre  American food as you can go next door to Continental bakery where its packed every day for breakfast and have 2 huge fresh, tasty, fluffy pancakes with your choose of toppings for 80-110 bht.

In a Nutshell.

On 17/02/2019 at 13:36, Evil Penevil said:

Big Kahuna is an American restaurant on Thappraya Road in Jomtien, about 100 meters north of the intersection with Thepprasit Road. 

Bottom line;  I won't hesitate to return to Big Kahuna to satisfy my infrequent longing for certain types of U.S. food, but I'm more likely to use the delivery option.

The restaurant has numerous specials on food and drink.

Evil

EP - I appreciate all the effort you put in around here and several of my go to restaurants are places I learned about from your posts.

But, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I live very close to BK and I never go there. I used to like POR and I liked BK, when it first opened.

At night the place is void of customers. I hear that the breakfast is good and a decent value, but I am not a breakfast guy. I prefer to grind and brew my own coffee and cut up a mango to go with that. I used to stop in here for a sandwich for supper some nights, but the quality started going downhill this Fall. I hear that began in the Summer, but I was in the US at that time.

Rumor has it that some of the former POR crew were part of the initial BK team, but left last Summer.

btw - on my last visit I had the Cuban and it was bad. The one in your pic looks much better.

• Like 2

On 18/02/2019 at 15:01, dan2016 said:

as what looks like overpriced mediocre  American food as you can go next door to Continental bakery where its packed every day for breakfast and have 2 huge fresh, tasty, fluffy pancakes with your choose of toppings for 80-110 bht.

It's been a long time since I had the pancakes at the Continental Bakery, but I wasn't impressed at the time.  Thin and heavy,  more like a dense crepe than a North American pancake.  As I recall, the only topping was jam. Things could have changed, though. Are they now serving pancakes with some sort of syrup?  Does the 80-110 baht price at Continental include an egg, sausage patty and drink?

The food at Big Kahuna is far from mediocre; it's very good.  Whether it is overpriced is of course a matter of opinion.  Which restaurant in Pattaya serves good American food at a lower price?

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

42 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I used to stop in here for a sandwich for supper some nights, but the quality started going downhill this Fall. I hear that began in the Summer, but I was in the US at that time.

Unfortunately, inconsistency is the plague of many Pattaya restaurants.  One day a meal can be good, the next day poor, depending on who's in the kitchen.  I can only say all the food I've had from BK has been good, but it's mostly been sandwiches and I don't have them that often.

Evil

oh - just as an fyi about Big Kahuna

There is an existing thread about this place. It pretty much goes along with my rise and fall description.

IMO - if I wanted a good breakfast over in Jomtien, I would head over to soi 9 on Jomtien Second Road and go to either Back Fabric or Laong's. One would probably be crossing the 300 baht threshold at that point.

As I think about EP's report, I am hopeful that they may be getting things turned around at BK.

2 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

It's been a long time since I had the pancakes at the Continental Bakery, but I wasn't impressed at the time.  Thin and heavy,  more like a dense crepe than a North American pancake.  As I recall, the only topping was jam. Things could have changed, though. Are they now serving pancakes with some sort of syrup?  Does the 80-110 baht price at Continental include an egg, sausage patty and drink?

The food at Big Kanhuna is far from mediocre;;] it's very good.  Whether it is overpriced is of course a matter of opinion.  Which restaurant in Pattaya serves good American food at a lower price?

Evil

I think the best American breakfast at low cost hands down is at I-Rovers in LK Metro for 119 Bht, American crispy bacon, toast, sausages, eggs, pancakes, orange juice tea or coffee, Cant go wrong for that price and it actually tastes good. Guess they added it on their menu because of all the American patrons they had every morning during NFL football season watching it on TV.

There is a full page of just pancakes choices at Continental Bakery these days ,from savory filling to a wide variety of fruits. They are far from dense and heavy as you get 2 very big fluffy pieces which is more then filling as theirs no need for anything else like eggs and sausage patty.

To bad Pastrami on Rye closed down as was a big fan of that place.

I am going to have to agree with the nay sayers about Continental. The eggs are an adventure. I doubt they clean the coffee pot very often. Their coffee is horrid. I repeat what I said above. Hop on a motorbike and get down to soi 9 on Jomtien Second Road to either Back Fabric or Laong's. The bakery goods at Back Fabric are out of this world. Laong's makes the best Eggs Benedict in town. Like I said I am not a breakfast guy, but from time to time I get a hankering. Oh, and they both have excellent coffee. Back Fabric has free delivery in Jomtien and Phratamnak for orders over 500 and a 100 charge for orders under that.

51 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am going to have to agree with the nay sayers about Continental. The eggs are an adventure. I doubt they clean the coffee pot very often. Their coffee is horrid. 

Completely agree about the coffee there. I order tea with a breakfast - even though I don’t usually drink tea. I do enjoy their fruit/yoghurt/muesli breakfast and they have really nice bread. Cooked breakfasts are a bit hit & miss - but I don’t eat them as often as I used to in Pattaya anyway.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

IMG_0121a.jpg

I don't write often about fast-food chain restaurants in Pattaya, mostly because I don't eat in them except on very rare occasions. On an impulse, I tried Texas Chicken at Central Marina.  I was pleasantly surprised; the chicken I got was better than I had expected and it qualified as good.  

IMG_0126a.jpg

Texas Chicken is the name Church's Chicken operates under outside North America.  It's the fourth largest U.S. fried chicken chain in both number of outlets and revenue, but I can't recall ever having tried it in the U.S. as it doesn't have stores in the eastern states.

IMG_0127.jpg

I ordered the three-piece combination for take-away.  It cost 159 baht and came with a small order of French fries, one biscuit and a "bottomless" cup of soft drink. I also got some mashed potatoes with gravy for 15 baht.  I drank my ice tea in the restaurant; I didn't want to lug it to my hotel.

Here's what I got in my take-away box:

IMG_0140.jpg

The three pieces of chicken were all white meat, not thighs and legs.  They had been battered and deep-fried properly, crisp on the outside, the meat juicy and full of real chicken flavor.  It was far superior to greasy KFC chicken with its soggy batter and tasteless meat.

IMG_0142.jpg

The sides were less impressive.  The French fries were industrial-style and the mashed potatoes had started out as flakes from a package. The biscuit had been topped with a honey-like sweetener and had a strange texture. It wasn't bad, but reminded me more of a dough-nut hole than a traditional biscuit.

Bottom line:  I don't often get a hankering for U.S.-style fried chicken, but the next time I do, I wouldn't hesitate to make a return visit to Texas Chicken.  The restaurant has plenty of special offers. In that sense, it lives up to its U.S. reputation as the "poor man's KFC" because of its lower prices.

Untitled-1.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Thanks EP and all the posters. I love this thread.

• Like 2

image.png

2 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Ate at Texas Chicken when it first opened.

Very underwhelmed.

I tried it once and that's it. Chicken meat was very dry, lacked much flavor at all, and the spicy choice wasn't spicy at all. That might have been a mistake from the clerk who saw my white meat and didn't believe me. Sides sucked too. 

• Like 1

I believe that Laong's. on Jomtien Second Rd has revised opening hours and now opens at 13:00hrs, so not sure if they will still be doing breakfasts.

Edited by jimboh

14 minutes ago, jimboh said:

I believe that Laong's. on Jomtien Second Rd has revised opening hours and now opens at 13:00hrs, so not sure if they will still be doing breakfasts.

Another horrible location.

Far better chicken at the Thai family place down the block from me... and at 15/20 baht a piece... far cheaper than KFC or Churches Texas Chicken...

Sadly, none of it is Keto friendly...

Edited by Saddic
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am going to have to agree with the nay sayers about Continental. The eggs are an adventure. I doubt they clean the coffee pot very often. Their coffee is horrid. I repeat what I said above. Hop on a motorbike and get down to soi 9 on Jomtien Second Road to either Back Fabric or Laong's. The bakery goods at Back Fabric are out of this world. Laong's makes the best Eggs Benedict in town. Like I said I am not a breakfast guy, but from time to time I get a hankering. Oh, and they both have excellent coffee. Back Fabric has free delivery in Jomtien and Phratamnak for orders over 500 and a 100 charge for orders under that.

I tried Continental breakfast a few times, a long time ago. 

It crossed my mind to go back into the kitchen and teach the cook how to cook.

How can one fuck up scrambled eggs, toast and hash browns so badly? 

Is that a faint aroma of cat piss in there I wondered, then I spotted the cat. Yes it IS cat piss no doubt. 

Maybe its better now days. 

Just a note that there there is more than one Continental Bakery restaurant. I was talking about the one in Jomtien, as was ChiFlyer I’m sure. Maybe jiz is talking about the one in Pattaya?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

37 minutes ago, davidge said:

Just a note that there there is more than one Continental Bakery restaurant. I was talking about the one in Jomtien, as was ChiFlyer I’m sure. Maybe jiz is talking about the one in Pattaya?

I tried both places. 

Did I detect the cat piss in both places? Yes I did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 21/12/2018 at 11:12, TWD said:

One from Jomtien, on Chayaphruek, Beach Road end. Review from a few months back, but nothing has changed as far as I know....

”Just had to try the 'small' 70 baht Sunday roast offer at the Tequila Sunrise pub in Chayaphruek 1. Yes - you read it right - 70 baht. To be honest I thought it would either be a minute quantity, or poor quality. How wrong could I be.

I was browsing around the Restaurant Forum looking for some ideas for inexpensive new places to try heading South on Jomtien Beach Road. I have done Pupen's (many times), Akavit (it's ok), and Surf Kitchen (boo). I noticed that Tequila Sunrise seems to be well liked by several people. I might give it a try. One question.

From what I am seeing this is UK style food. Not meaning to insult anyone, but not my thing and the GF hates it. Do they have other items on the menu? I checked their web site and they get a D- for the info value.

Has anyone tried the 229B buffet at Rom Pho?  The youtube starts with a bit of waffle then gets into it.

Shame it's out in the sticks :sad:

1 hour ago, Barhop said:

Has anyone tried the 229B buffet at Rom Pho?  The youtube starts with a bit of waffle then gets into it.

Shame it's out in the sticks :sad:

Not tried it but walked passed the other week on the way to an Italian restaurant nearby and the place was packed full of Thais. A good sign i'd say.