IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

On Darkside. way up Soi Kaotalo, is Pepper and Salt, run by a Dutch guy. Mainly open-air, although looks like they do have an A/C place available.

I had the Beef Bourguignon and it was really tasty, with good texture and came with a choice of potatoes, I went for fried, will try the chips next time.

For the price, 295B, was well worth it. Staff professional, Dutch guy came out to enquire if everything was OK.

IMG_5729.JPG

Hey all,

I was after a place that serves "liver and bacon with gravy" plus mash etc. I used to go to Pig & Whistle but have gone off the place of late... Any ideas ? 

TIA :)

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, Atlas said:

Hey all,

I was after a place that serves "liver and bacon with gravy" plus mash etc. I used to go to Pig & Whistle but have gone off the place of late... Any ideas ? 

Not sure but try Nickys on soi buakhao.

1 hour ago, Atlas said:

Hey all,

I rovers & Kilkenny LK both do liver and bacon last time I visited .

8 minutes ago, Pheat said:

I rovers & Kilkenny LK both do liver and bacon last time I visited .

10 minutes ago, Tarl said:

Not sure but try Nickys on Soi Buakhao.

Thanks Guys, will check it out :) 

• Like 2

Regards, Atlas.

1 minute ago, Atlas said:

Thanks Guys, will check it out :) 

Try their sunday roast meal trio of meats or something like that. Bloody awesome.

• Like 2

Howdy,

Went to Irovers, it was not on the menu... Sadly the Wife had already ordered fish and chips.. So we stayed and I also had the fish and chips... TBH it's no the best I have had, the batter was fine, but the fish itself lacked taste and was very watery, like freshwater fish which I do not like... 

I forgot to check if Kilkennys had it, will have to have a look next time I am over that way. 

As for the roasts and carvery on offer at many places on a Sunday for me there is little value in them as I eat very small portions, unlike when I was younger and pushing 120 kgs ! :) Those days are long gone ! My Wife eats more than me, but in saying that being Thai their small frames seem to be able to eat far more than their body weight ! :D

• Like 4

Regards, Atlas.

11 hours ago, Atlas said:

Hey all,

Kilkenny on LK Metro has it as a regular menu item and as a special (on Tuesdays, I believe).

Capturevvvv.JPG

That's not the most attractive picture, but friends who like liver and onions say it is good.  I don't eat liver and onions, so I can't give a personal opinion.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

9 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Kilkenny on LK Metro has it as a regular menu item and as a special (on Tuesdays, I believe).

Capturevvvv.JPG

That's not the most attractive picture, but friends who like liver and onions say it is good.  I don't eat liver and onions, so I can't give a personal opinion.

Evil

Thanks mate. My mum used to cook it all the time, was delicious.... However I dew the line at eating crumbed lamb brains that my Dad loved! :)

Edited by Atlas

Regards, Atlas.

17 hours ago, Atlas said:

As for the roasts and carvery on offer at many places on a Sunday for me there is little value in them as I eat very small portions,

The roasts from Nicky,s on a Sunday are massive even the small portion size .

But are absolutely spot on the best in Pattaya in my humble opinion.

18 hours ago, Atlas said:

As for the roasts and carvery on offer at many places on a Sunday for me there is little value in them as I eat very small portions, unlike when I was younger and pushing 120 kgs ! :) Those days are long gone ! My Wife eats more than me, but in saying that being Thai their small frames seem to be able to eat far more than their body weight ! :D

The Sunday roast dinners at the Marquee Bar on Soi Buakhao are good value for money at 100 baht.  The portions are adequate, at least for me.

1.jpg

There are bigger and better roast dinners on Sundays at Nicky's, Kilkenny and several others, but there's nothing wrong with the dinners at the Marquee.

3a.jpg

3.jpg

The chicken dinner is the best option for me:

_MG_0010.jpg

But get there early; they are often sold out by 7.00 p.m.

Evil

22 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The Sunday roast dinners at the Marquee Bar on Soi Buakhao are good value for money at 100 baht.  The portions are adequate, at least for me.

This has now become my first Sunday meal next trip :Thanks3:  

For those with bigger appetites, Kilkenny's Sunday roast lamb dinner at 199 baht is also great value for money.

CaptureA.JPG

Again, the picture in the ad is very close to what you get on the plate.

IMG_0296.jpg

Evil

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

The restaurant seems to close earlier and earlier nowadays.

Often before 8pm.

IMG_0085[1].jpg

I hadn't eaten at Jameson's Irish Pub in years but tried it again the other night as I was staying in a hotel nearby.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

It wasn't a convenient location for me, but the main reason I didn't go back often was the funereal interior.  When I visit an Irish pub, I want to be reminded of leprechauns and the Blarney Stone, not haunted  castles, banshees and the Cóiste Bodhar.   Typical American tourist attitude, I know, but I don't like gloomy bars and restaurants.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

The food as I remember it had been good, but friends said it had gone down in recent years.  I did have a good meal there the other night.  The interior, though, was as uninviting as I recalled, except it wasn't as cavernous as before.  Jameson's has been cut in half to make way for a yet-to-open pizza place.

IMG_0084[1].jpg

I had the roast chicken dinner for 245 baht. On the plate I got half a chicken, roast and mashed potatoes, a boast of gravy and the usual medley of boiled veggies.

IMG_0106.jpg

The chicken had been roasted properly and was moist.  The potatoes were fine.  The veggies were a bit soft for me, but that's a matter of individual preference. The gravy seemed to a generic out-of-a-package and overly salty, so I didn't bother with it.  In all, it was good meal.  Not outstanding, but good.

IMG_0110a.jpg

A bottle of water cost 30 baht, so the whole meal put me back 275 baht.

Bottom line:  Jameson's location and gloomy interior are negatives, but based on my chicken dinner, the food wouldn't deter me from another visit if I felt like pub fare.

Here's the location for those unfamiliar with it.

Capture.JPG

If you're riding the Second Road baht bus, get off just before Soi 6, cross the street and take Soi 4 to Jameson's.

It has some decent prices on pints during its Happy Hours, but so do many other bars.

41820766_265411024313067_1352554273174454272_n.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Stayed close by in 2017 and had a number of PM meals there for convenience.  Agree, good pub meals but it IS really out of the way.  Cannot imagine how I would ever be back in the locality again, but that's just me.  Host is an "Irish" Thai, if he's still there...  We chatted about his business and I suggested that sadly Irish Pubs were dying out in the West and we really didn't come all this way to see another one...  Hmmm pic shows half of it now missing???

Thank you EP, walked by that place multiple times. Never thought to eat there. After reading your review I will try.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 12:39, Evil Penevil said:

1.jpg

There are bigger and better roast dinners on Sundays at Nicky's, Kilkenny and several others, but there's nothing wrong with the dinners at the Marquee.

3a.jpg

3.jpg

The chicken dinner is the best option for me:

_MG_0010.jpg

Evil

Thanks mate, that would be perfect ! :)

Regards, Atlas.

Sukiya sound very nice, great pictures, have to go there. Thank you once again, Evil Penevil.

On 14/02/2019 at 08:52, Evil Penevil said:

I recently had the gyūdon with leeks and a softly poached egg for 109 baht.

I also tried for the first time last week as I tend to stop in for the 10 baht cone every other day. I wasn’t too impressed however as I found it to be rather bland if not a bit salty. The only condiments on the table were pickled ginger and maybe something else, I can’t remember. Anyway, I loaded up on whatever was handy, but I’ll stick to the ice cream.

Went to Lan's Garden, German style place on a Soi that runs up beside Tops on Soi Khaoanoi.

As with all German places, I struggle a bit with menu choices, just not my cup of tea. Decided to try the beef roll, which was really tasty and moist, was stuffed with some kind of pickled veg. Came with, first a salad, nice and crisp, and fried potatoes which were fine. Would have liked some boiled veg with beef dish.

Missus was happy with her Thai dish, from which I was able to get some boiled veg, so all good. Beef dish was under 300B cant remember but think it was 295B.

A nice setting, we sat outside, a negative for me was the amount of smoking at surrounding tables. There was a lovely young couple serving but also serving was a loud mouthed battle axe.

I will return as food was good.

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

• Thanks 1

Cheap Charlies(formally Queens head etc nr sutus court) has a good filling chicken dinner for 99b quite tasty and good value.Oh the english breakfast with coffee and juice 89b.