IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

4 hours ago, Barhop said:

Cheers and thanks for the response.  I avoid sugar like the plague but of course absorb lots of fructose eating fruit.

Ok, will stop those rice bowls...

Still, question is are there no under B300 meals with brown rice though??? :sad:

@Barhop

I can't recall seeing brown rice offered with any meal in a Pattaya restaurant.  However, some restaurants have black , purple or red rice on offer, which are "functional equivalents" of brown rice in that they are unpolished and whole grain. The ones which have them tend to concentrate on vegetarian, vegan or "healthy" food options.

Five Star J, the vegetarian/vegan restaurant on the corner of Pattaya Tai and Third Road, has a number of dishes under 300 baht with either red or black (purple) rice.  Easy Health on the east side of Third Road near the intersection with Soi Lengkee also has a number of such dishes. Portions are small, though, at EH.

Untitled-1.jpg.9f1371f7b097728bb7b5be09363ba79a.jpg

You chances of finding brown rice as an option in an "ordinary" farang restaurant  or Thai restaurant are close to zero.  You will have better luck finding whole-grain rice (but not brown rice) in "health conscious" restaurants.

You can see the menu for Easy Health here: https://easyhealth.asia

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

6 hours ago, Barhop said:

Still, question is are there no under B300 meals with brown rice though??? :sad:

Will have a look for you when have time.

But off the top of my head ..... you could try the meat substitute restaurant (I refuse to call it Vegetarian) on Pattaya Tai

https://www.fivestarj.com/menu/rice

Murphy's on Darkside offer choice of white or brown rice, and their Thai food is good, according to my missus, she loves their Moo Gob.

Their British style comfort food is good also, pints of Guinness and Magners draught also good.

9 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

I think the veg rice and curry stall at the Terminal 21 food court serves brown rice only.

Yes, the vegetarian stall in the corner in the food court has some sort of brown rice there. 3 dishes plus rice for under 40 baht and they give bigger servings then the non-vegetarian stalls there. I like it anyway for a “healthy” change of pace.

15 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

You chances of finding brown rice as an option in an "ordinary" farang restaurant  or Thai restaurant are close to zero.  You will have better luck finding whole-grain rice (but not brown rice) in "health conscious" restaurants.

You can see the menu for Easy Health here: https://easyhealth.asia

Evil

Thanks once again.   Now I know what to seek and I won't look like a dickhead asking for brown rice :Thanks3:

Will try Easyhealth first on next trip because I stay on Chaiyapoon, so it's just around the corner.  Five Star J is a simple baht bus also.  Easyhealth menu does looks good.

Thanks to the other Ops also.  Will also time my first trip to Terminal 21 for a meal at the veggy place.  Murphy's sounds good also and must give it a try if I ever get to the Darkside.  Actually, gives me an excuse now to take the journey there...

There's a smile on this face now :Clap1:

44 minutes ago, Barhop said:

Thanks once again.   Now I know what to seek and I won't look like a dickhead asking for brown rice :Thanks3:

Its probably worth remembering, as the Thais will not understand "brown rice", unpolished brown rice in Thai is 'Khao Glawng'

22 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Its probably worth remembering, as the Thais will not understand "brown rice", unpolished brown rice in Thai is 'Khao Glawng'

Cheers.  In English I have thought to ask for "different rice?"  Might work...

Also will have this pic on phone (pinched off menu)...

50898516_PurpleRice.jpg.e38fe30b83eeed1f491dc1d734fefafd.jpg

Edited by Barhop
add pic

22 hours ago, Barhop said:

Cheers and thanks for the response.  I avoid sugar like the plague but of course absorb lots of fructose eating fruit.

Ok, will stop those rice bowls...

No that I have ever seen.... 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

4 hours ago, Barhop said:

Cheers.  In English I have thought to ask for "different rice?"  Might work...

Also will have this pic on phone (pinched off menu)...

50898516_PurpleRice.jpg.e38fe30b83eeed1f491dc1d734fefafd.jpg

That's a pic of riceberry, a type of rice developed in Thailand that is nutritionally superior to brown rice.  Showing a pic of it couldn't hurt.  More restaurants are likely to have riceberry than brown rice, but they tend to use it in salads or for presentation purposes more than as an alternative to white rice.  Overall, it is still an uncommon option outside "health conscious" restaurants whose customers are likely to want to avoid white rice.

Evil

2 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

That's a pic of riceberry, a type of rice developed in Thailand that is nutritionally superior to brown rice.  Showing a pic of it couldn't hurt.  More restaurants are likely to have riceberry than brown rice, but they tend to use it in salads or for presentation purposes more than as an alternative to white rice.  Overall, it is still an uncommon option outside "health conscious" restaurants whose customers are likely to want to avoid white rice.

Evil

As usual, more great info, thanks...

But now I want to try the riceberry...sounds great...can't wait...

It's curious that your paccheri cacio e pepe was priced similarly (20B less) to tortellini and a ravioli di carne specials on your later pics, which I would guess would involve more labour to produce and maybe have more expensive ingredients (ie the meat).  My personal preference would be for a larger portion of paccheri if as a main course, and so 270B looks to me on the high side for pricing, particularly as a daily special.  OTOH restaurants in Italy often have smaller pasta portion sizes, which seem to assume the pasta is eaten as a starter to be followed by a different main course, which may not be the case in Pattaya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirL said:

It's curious that your paccheri cacio e pepe was priced similarly (20B less) to tortellini and a ravioli di carne specials on your later pics, which I would guess would involve more labour to produce and maybe have more expensive ingredients (ie the meat).  My personal preference would be for a larger portion of paccheri if as a main course, and so 270B looks to me on the high side for pricing, particularly as a daily special.  OTOH restaurants in Italy often have smaller pasta portion sizes, which seem to assume the pasta is eaten as a starter to be followed by a different main course, which may not be the case in Pattaya.

I'm only guessing, but I imagine pecorino romano is an expensive ingredient in Thailand as it's imported in small quantities. It would probably cost more than   I'm also guessing that the restaurant makes its own fresh pasta and that would most likely be  with imported semolina flour.

The sauce for cacio e pepe isn't time-consuming to make but it is tricky and it can't be made ahead of serving.  It has to be done exactly the right way or it will turn into a congealed mess. On the whole, I don't think 270 baht is too high a price for what you get. I believe the "trickiness" factor is the reason you don't see cacio e pepe, whether with paccheri or another pasta, on menus in Pattaya.  

Evil

Same owner as La Taverna del Passatore that moved to this new place. Similar menu and specials but they've got a new chef that does more. You can ask for grappa instead of the Limoncello. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

Same owner as La Taverna del Passatore that moved to this new place. Similar menu and specials but they've got a new chef that does more. You can ask for grappa instead of the Limoncello. 

Yes, I was offered a choice of grappa, limoncello or sambuca. 

Evil

Went to Arnos a few days ago, had burger, fries and soft drink for lunch time special, 220 Baht before 17-00hrs, plus 7% VAT, total 235, good value and excellent meal, service good. Recommend.

Will return to try lamb and pork burgers soon.

IMG_5581.JPG

On 12/01/2019 at 20:15, Evil Penevil said:

I wasn't very hungry the night we ate there and just had a toasted ham and Swiss cheese sandwich for 139 baht.  

IMG_0226.jpg.fef207d9fdb7d47ac24903d96b0dc3da.jpg

It came on a wooden platter with a fancy presentation and a small order of French fries.  You won't see that too often in a U.S. diner.

IMG_0229.jpg.90a3d38132dcf2f02751aa597fc3beb9.jpg

The ham and Swiss cheese were good quality and the balsamic vinegar and tomato foam were nice touches.  I enjoyed the sandwich.

You can get better at the 7-11 for 1/3 the price :D

1 hour ago, Dazza118 said:

You can get better at the 7-11 for 1/3 the price :D

No, you can't.  

Evil

IMG_0033.jpg

I'm a big fan of Taco Taco, but I haven't been back too many times since they moved to  Soi 9 off Pattaya Klang, simply because the old location, a stall in the Soi Buakhao night market, was more convenient for me.  

No doubt, though, that the new enclosed, air-conditioned  restaurant is a far more comfortable place to have a meal than a fold-up table in front of the old stall.  The menu has expanded considerably, too.

IMG_0022.jpg

I went back yesterday to try the Taco Tuesday special:

591040_n.jpg

And a tempting pic from Taco Taco's Facebook page:

50562782_1115612481951915_2343515593296052224_n.jpg

The following tacos cost 60 baht each all day Tuesday and you can mix and match as you please:

4016_23n.jpg

You can also choose hard-shell corn tortillas or soft wheat tortillas.  I picked column B and had the conchinita pibil and chicken tinga in corn tortillas and the smoky beef on a wheat tortilla.

IMG_0023.jpg

The order came with three in-house-made sauces: the iconic Mexican pico de gallo (aka salsa fresca or salsa mexicana); habanero chili hot sauce (fiery hot 16.jpg) and pineapple salsa.

IMG_0024.jpg

The pork, chicken and beef in the tacos had been slow-cooked with Mexican spices.  The cook didn't skimp on the chili content and the chicken tinga and smoky beef had quite a kick without the hot sauce.  The conchinita pibil was a bit milder with a sweet-sour flavor to the pork.  It's based on a traditional pork dish from the Yucatán Peninsula and is a favorite of mine.  I hope Taco Taco spins off conchinita pibil into a main dish and not just a taco filling.

IMG_0029.jpg

The meal cost 180 baht for the three tortillas and 20 baht for a bottle of water.

Bottom line:    Since Dave's Cantina closed, these are the best tacos in Pattaya.  They aren't the biggest, but definitely the best tasting.  Some other taco variations on offer on the regular menu.

4016.jpg

Taco Taco also has weekly specials and this week it's three-bean chili con carne with rice and nachos:

Untitled-1.jpg

Evil

Went last night but as I pulled up, notice just 1 free table and noticed another couple just getting off their motorcycle, so sacked it. Will try again soon.

I tried their Monday special this week, the chile con carne.

It had exceptionally good flavor. For Brits that are used to the castrated chile con carne at British restaurants, it would be a revelation. I'm not saying it was super hot pepper hot. It's not. Of course there was chilies flavor in it but I'm talking about the overall flavor. 

Some downsides are the rice was not as pictured. It wasn't cilantro rice. It was just white rice with a bit of cilantro on top. The chips portion was also smaller than pictured. The chili portion was also too small for the 230 price. So if you're hungry, you need to order more food (there or somewhere else). However, the flavor was so good I recommend that dish to all. 

An option there to definitely not leave hungry are their burritos. They're excellent and filling.

Edited by Kreggerz

2 hours ago, jimboh said:

Went last night but as I pulled up, notice just 1 free table and noticed another couple just getting off their motorcycle, so sacked it. Will try again soon.

Taco Tuesdays get very busy.  The owner advised me that earlier is better because it does fill up in the evening.  When I was there about 5.00 pm, it was about 75% full.  I waited to take the interior pic until several diners left.

Evil

Has anyone mention Mr. PHO?

I'm no expert on Vietnamese food but have to admit, I went there 2 days in a row for the beef soup.

Very small menu (which I like) a few soups and a few appetizers. Everything fresh. 

He makes a mean ice coffee too.

Located on Thappraya Rd. next to Mac hotel. Alley 1.