IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

Just now, Evil Penevil said:

Some decent offers at the Robin Hood Tavern, although I haven't been too impressed by the food on a couple of past visits.

RH.jpg.98a4f4cbf2d145d71ed1173b9e1402df.jpg

RH-1.jpg.b5f525299475d3ba45107f7c4db85c93.jpg

RH4.jpg.03ce7a0b86019cb27a547ddd661efd91.jpg

They may, however,  be a bit optimistic with their Scotch egg promotion.  I wonder if they have been inspired by the story of Robert the Bruce and the spider?  "If at first you don't succeed ..."

RH3.JPG.832b988aae8e1bd4eec56a7992a2d163.JPG

Evil

So don't go on Tuesday. Tuesday's promo Guinness is up to 10bht from happy times pricing :) Very special price indeed

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking for a quiet drink and some cheap beer and food,this is the place  MAX JUNIER.Large Leo and Chang 60 Baht large Tiger 65

Thai meals 40 and 50 Baht very clean and freindly service.Pattaya Tai soi 10  is 400 m from sukhumvit at big c south pattaya

20181211_220141.jpg

20181211_220041.jpg

20181218_150453.jpg

20181218_150512.jpg

20181218_150507.jpg

20181218_150439.jpg

• Like 4

One from Jomtien, on Chayaphruek, Beach Road end. Review from a few months back, but nothing has changed as far as I know....

”Just had to try the 'small' 70 baht Sunday roast offer at the Tequila Sunrise pub in Chayaphruek 1. Yes - you read it right - 70 baht. To be honest I thought it would either be a minute quantity, or poor quality. How wrong could I be.

The 70 baht roast gives you a choice between chicken and pork. Daughter opted for pork. I went for the 195 baht half chicken roast dinner.

The vegetables were freshly cooked, tasty, slightly al dente. Carrot, cabbage, cauli, beans, roast potato, mash. Yorkie pudding, stuffing, nice gravy. Daughter's pork was good, as was the enormous serving of chicken. Seriously enjoyed every mouthful. 

So 195 baht for the massive chicken dish, 70 baht for the so-called 'small' pork roast. 65 baht for a cold Singha, 25 baht for water. Total 355 baht for two.

Even if it's a bit out of the way at the southern end of Jomtien, just off Beach Road on Chayaphruek 1, it's easy enough to get to. 10 baht ride on the baht bus along Beach Road, one passes by every few minutes. — eating Sunday lunch.”

4C8E2464-75F9-4624-9E99-0C8018FAF9A0.jpeg

950BDF36-5C1F-4F0D-85D3-E04935E59903.jpeg

EC6AC787-4F31-4CEF-9D50-87CE1290C92D.jpeg

2872122E-6F55-4B68-AFDC-FFE9D36B343E.jpeg

11575804-F68C-4E53-ACF3-6F8D2333197E.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Far out i don't know how they can do that for 70b if i was hungry i'd buy 2.

8 hours ago, stubby said:

Far out i don't know how they can do that for 70b if i was hungry i'd buy 2.

No need: they do a large one for 30B more. I doubt any normal person could eat two.

I go to this place quite often. Apart from the Sunday lunch (which is very popular) they have a lot of other reasonably-priced things on their menu. I particularly like the liver bacon chips and peas for 90B.

• Like 2

On 21/12/2018 at 11:12, TWD said:

The 70 baht roast gives you a choice between chicken and pork.

This seems to be some fairly recent change. Previously the pork was 20B or so more than the chicken. Same for the larger sizes: chicken was 100B and pork was 120B IIRC. They do seem to adjust the prices quite often there, both up and down, though usually not by very much.

• Like 2

I’d like to offer up a photo of the delicious pizza served at Italian Osteria. 

Second floor at Terminal -21.

Didn't study the prices.

The slice topped with Speck ham I ate was around 180bt.. The slices are big. Enough for a meal. 

29EBE051-2D78-4991-A3D3-0DDF7FB9B761.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Roast dinner at Chunky Monkey soi buakhow. 129 baht for the chicken dinner.

Only thing that’s missing is some Yorkshire puddings. I’m not a big veg eater so it’s pointless me paying more in other places. Great value imo. 

DCCEEB18-599E-4E95-A192-DEC5F8BD340C.jpeg

• Like 2

Just a Welshman living the dream in BKK

On 20/12/2018 at 23:12, TWD said:

4C8E2464-75F9-4624-9E99-0C8018FAF9A0.jpeg

Now this is a photo that is just begging for a caption.....  Sorry , but I can't resist

*  Tap your fork twice if you're here against your will

* Where is the rice ?

* People actually eat this stuff ?

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

15 hours ago, jiz said:

I’d like to offer up a photo of the delicious pizza served at Italian Osteria. 

Second floor at Terminal -21.

Didn't study the prices.

The slice topped with Speck ham I ate was around 180bt.. The slices are big. Enough for a meal. 

29EBE051-2D78-4991-A3D3-0DDF7FB9B761.jpeg

I thought it was cake on first glance! Weird flavours.

Looks like nice Italian ingredients to me. 

Eggplant, tomatoes, olives, buratta mozzarella, basil. 

Now wierd would be if they served a ham and fucking pineapple pizza!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, baddog666 said:

She actually loves a good roast, rice dishes are not her thing at all. The more veg and salads, the better :laugh:

That was demolished in no time lol

• Like 3

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

4 hours ago, baddog666 said:

555 Funniest post of the month award for you sir!

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

On 25/11/2018 at 18:56, Evil Penevil said:

Good news for fans of tacos, burritos, quesadillas and other Mexico-inspired food!   Taco Taco Tex-Mex has opened a new restaurant on Soi  9 off Pattaya Klang, not far from its former stall in the Buakhao Night Market on Soi Buakhao.

The young woman who owns Taco Taco  is throughly familiar with Mexican and Tex-Mex cooking.  Remember, they aren't the same thing.  .......

The other night I tried the shrimp ceviche tostados at 260 baht.  Small bowls of pineapple salsa and home-made hot sauce (Untitled-2.jpg.862cae2fc0e6749871885910b41f1f71.jpg fiery hot!!!) accompanied the tostadas.

Pieces of raw shrimp had been marinated in lime juice, mixed with pico de gallo (diced tomato, onion and chilies with cilantro) and placed on three toasted corn tortillas. Excellent! There was nothing Taco Bell-ish about those tostadas or the sauces.  The pineapple salsa gave a sweet hint and a few drops of the hot sauce (enough for me!) added heat.

Bottom line:  Taco Taco is a great option for anyone who enjoys Mexico-inspired street food served on or in a tortilla.  I'll be reporting again from Taco Tuesday.

Evil

For the umpteenth time thanks to EP for pointing out a place I would probably never would have found. We tried it last night and I was very favorably impressed. This is coming from an old border hopper and long time resident of the Southwest side of Chicago. I know my Mex food.

I ordered the Shrimp Ceviche Tostadas for my lady friend at her request that I order for her for a cuisine that she was unfamiliar with. Will not repeat the pic that EP provided. I had the Tacos Carnitas. Everything was really good.

IMG_2095.thumb.JPG.7fa4d8add93b5733c0752af8470ed5e9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I had dinner New Year's Eve with a farang friend and his Thai companion at Calles Bar and Restaurant in the arcade next to Soi Diana.  That arcade, which runs between 2nd Road and Cherry Bar, is something of Pattaya's Restaurant Row.  It's home to Kiss Food, Beefeater, Patrick's, Longhorn Steakhouse, My Way, Little India and a couple of others.

All were very busy.  Every seat was taken at Kiss; Patrick's had a sign up saying it was fully occupied; Beefeater and Longhorn had people waiting for tables. We got the last table available at 8.00 p.m. at Calles.   It hadn't been our first choice, but we we were rewarded with excellent meals.

IMG_0146.jpg.6d85bbce9ca2d3d99909891bbcab8782.jpg

I had the planked chicken  at 295 baht. Roasting meat or fish on an oak plank is a Scandinavian cooking technique that probably predates Viking times, but was revived in  Sweden in the 20th century.  

IMG_0152.jpg.ae006659386728287f9f5e14674778bf.jpg

I got a nicely grilled piece of chicken breast flanked on two sides by duchess potatoes, a favorite of mine. It's the nutmeg used as a seasoning as well as butter and egg in the mashed potatoes that does it for me. Duchess potatoes are a classic of French cuisine, supposedly first made for a British duchess on a visit to France.  The asparagus stalk wrapped in bacon and the grilled tomato half are the usual accompaniments to modern Swedish planked dishes. The gravy was OK, but it didn't add much flavor.

IMG_0144.jpg.00af2be7ce2c6be1f907b020a1eea234.jpg

My friend had the dory fillet, which he liked very much.

IMG_0153.jpg.62c3a0cb67276803555c910b10e522c9.jpg

It came with rice, but he could have had potatoes with it and on second thought, wished he had.  I can't remember the exact price, but it was around 250 baht.  

Untitled-1.jpg.6cd347f4214324c2becf50d40364f1f3.jpg

His girlfriend had the planked salmon at about 425 baht.  

IMG_0149.jpg.290a5734205a703851d28a253e99e277.jpg

That's outside the scope of this thread, but she was happy with it and her margarita.  The salmon came with duchess potatoes,  asparagus stalks, grilled tomato half, Hollandaise sauce and a sprig of dill.

Bottom line:  Good stuff on the menu at Calles, with quite a few items under 300 baht.  All three of us intend to return.  

Evil

• Like 3

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

see a lot of food joints in parts are going for putting your meal on a bread board , lump of wood like that one stained ... not very hygienic i would say . must be the latest craze at the moment .... not for me , give me a plate

i also hate it when they put your steak or chicken or what ever on top of mashed potatoes or chips like in the photo .

whats with these tucker fuckers these days . i would say learn to cook better more so than being an artist

i would send it back if they dished it up to me like that

Edited by onehunglo

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

My friend had the dory fillet, which he liked very much.

IMG_0153.jpg.62c3a0cb67276803555c910b10e522c9.jpg

It came with rice, but he could have had potatoes with it and on second thought, wished he had.  I can't remember the exact price, but it was around 250 baht.  

345 baht

7 hours ago, onehunglo said:

see a lot of food joints in parts are going for putting your meal on a bread board , lump of wood like that one stained ... not very hygienic i would say . must be the latest craze at the moment .... not for me , give me a plate

i also hate it when they put your steak or chicken or what ever on top of mashed potatoes or chips like in the photo .

whats with these tucker fuckers these days . i would say learn to cook better more so than being an artist

There's a HUGE difference between grilling or roasting meat on a cedar or oak plank and using a bread board as a serving platter or plate.  The plank in the picture is charred, not stained.  

Baking planks (the meat is oven roasted) can be used over and over again. The thinner BBQ planks are used only once or maybe a few times. The wood does impart a flavor to the meat, especially when BBQ'd.

Planks that are to be reused are rinsed off, re-soaked and placed back in the oven or on The Grill for a few minutes to kill any surface bacteria.  It's actually a more effective method than washing porcelain plates in a dishwasher. 

There's a lot of information about plank cooking and plank grilling on the Net. Just do a Google search. You also get a lot of info if you Google the Swedish spelling "plankstek." The pic below is of a Swedish oak grilling plank (planksteksbräda).

Plankstek.JPG.63363908847547071419e089acdcd8fd.JPG

Serving food on a wooden bread board is a different matter. Hygiene is more problematic.  I'm definitely not a fan of juicy or sloppy food served on cutting boards.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

I blame Jamie " what'shisname" ..the TV chef guy ..
Everytime Im flicking past one his shows he's putting food on an old bread board.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2

another thing is i noticed is that they load the board up with mashed potato to fill the empty space ! 

2 hours ago, jimboh said:

There's a screwball on another forum that gets bent out of shape bigtime over those boards, FAF

I'm sure I know who you're talking about, but in his case, outrage over wooden serving platters and plates was just an excuse to disrupt the thread.

Evil