Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Connecting in Shanghai to BKK

bouncewithme

Hey guys, on my next trip I'm connecting in Shanghai. This will be my first time through there. Does anyone have any experience connecting through here? Is there transit security to pass through? Any tips or experience appreciated. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I've read some horror stories about having to clear immigration and check back in. What a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangely enough, I was just reading similar reports on Trip Advisor the other day regarding transiting through Shanghai.

Sounds like a lot of hassle to be honest

Is this China Eastern outfit you're flying with....??

As long as luggage is checked in to final destination, all boarding pass on hand and connecting flight is from same terminal it's not really a problem however there can be some serious queues at immigration/security/transfer desks and short transit time is not recommended. Be aware China do not allow lighters, spare (lithium) batteries, spray cans etc in any luggage.

Is this China Eastern outfit you're flying with....??

Yes, Chine Eastern from LAX To PVG. then Shanghai Airlines to BKK. Shanghai Air is a partner of China Eastern it seems.

As long as luggage is checked in to final destination, all boarding pass on hand and connecting flight is from same terminal it's not really a problem however there can be some serious queues at immigration/security/transfer desks and short transit time is not recommended. Be aware China do not allow lighters, spare (lithium) batteries, spray cans etc in any luggage.

Thanks. How long of a layover would you recommend?

Any idea how can I know in advance if it's going to be checked all the way through? I know I could call Delta but the people there likely have no idea.

I have a different airline once at PVG, albeit a partner airline of China Eastern that Delta booked award travel on for me. I've read that if you have to go through immigration to enter China your bag must go with you which means waiting for it at baggage claim

I have 2 hours and 50 minutes layover. Seems like ample time but I've read horror stories about no signs in English and not many friendly people and no one speaks English to help along with potential long lines. So potentially having to 1) claim bag 2) clear immigration 3) check in at airline 4) clear security. And I've read there are not special lanes for business class which is crazy lol.

If 2nd flight is via partner airline to China Eastern it will be checked right through. Thats the whole idea of the seamless travel

If 2nd flight is via partner airline to China Eastern it will be checked right through. Thats the whole idea of the seamless travel

I've read if you have to clear immigration, your checked bag must go with you which makes sense. Is this your experience too? Have you connected through here or a mainland China airport like CAN or Beijing? Thx

I've read if you have to clear immigration, your checked bag must go with you which makes sense. Is this your experience too? Have you connected through here or a mainland China airport like CAN or Beijing? Thx

Why would you clear immigration.....??  You're in Transit surely,,,,??  Your bag will be tagged through to final destination same the world over if 2nd flight is partner airline. That's how it works

Edited.....Ask at initial check in if bag tagged through to Bangkok. It will be but if for some bizarre reason its not ask the check agent what the protocol is re bags

Why would you clear immigration.....?? You're in Transit surely,,,,?? Your bag will be tagged through to final destination same the world over if 2nd flight is partner airline. That's how it works

Edited.....Ask at initial check in if bag tagged through to Bangkok. It will be but if for some bizarre reason its not ask the check agent what the protocol is re bags

Have you been through there? I've read online there is no transit security. Everything online points to having to clear immigration. That what is confusing, so wanting to see if anyone here has first hand experience with it. Thx

Have you been through there? I've read online there is no transit security. Everything online points to having to clear immigration. That what is confusing, so wanting to see if anyone here has first hand experience with it. Thx

Yes China but not Shanghai. Checked right through.  Am not sure what Transit Security as to do with having bag checked through ??  It will be trust me but for peace of mind just ask at check in at port of origin.

• 1 month later...

So here is my experience with Shanghai and China Eastern. The biz class on China Eastern was actually not that bad. There were some minor things like inefficient check in process at LAX and inability for their #1 partner Delta to issue all boarding passes at my origination spot. Oh well. So in the air from LAX to what was supposed to be PVG (more to come on that), was pretty good. Comfortable lay flat seat and the food I thought was much better than the reviews I had read. The service was fairly good too. Not much selection on the IFE system but I slept most of the way anyway. I would put it on par with Delta biz class.

So we are just about 30 minutes out of PVG and they announce that due to weather in PVG we will be diverted to land at SHA! What? They go on to say please talk to the "Ground Crew" at SHA about how to make connections that are at PVG. LOL, OK. So I get a arrival card and fill it out.

After we land, we are on the plane for about 30 minutes while they take their sweet time bringing the stairs up to the plane. We did not have a jet way. So we get bus'd to the terminal. I clear immigration and customs with a temp transit visa. At the baggage claim there are several others needing to get to PVG - we all have flights within the next 1.5-3 hours. None of us made them unfortunately. So we look for this "ground crew" that China eastern said was supposed to be there. No sign. I ask several times to the flight attendants what are we supposed to do? They said get on the "shuttle" to PVG. Well, my advice to you is don't wait for things in China. You are better off taking control of things. So I hopped in a cab with other folks in the same predicament and we took a cab from SHA to PVG and thankfully there was no traffic. It took about an hour. We would have been waiting for hours for this "Shuttle". So we arrive and the taxi driver won't accept USD, so one of the guys goes to exchange money. After we pay, we get into PVG and it is setup much like BKK. We find the business class check-in and the China Eastern attendant says to me "why are you so late for your flight, you are not going to make it. " I guess it was wishful thinking they would have us already booked automatically on the next flight to BKK since the plane landed at the wrong airport? Nope. They did not even know. So I tell them I would have loved to be here for my flight but your airline landed at the wrong airport and provided no assistance for us to transit there to the right airport and we did so at our own expense. They seemed shocked that this happened. Not sure why as it's somewhat consistent with the horror stories I have read about connecting in mainland China. So we finally get checked in and have about 4 hours till the next flight. I thought it would be a nice relaxing time in the lounge at PVG, expecting it to be classy. Think again. It was the most disgusting lounge I've been in. And I did not even attempt to eat anything there. I think I would have been sick. So, the time comes to finally board, which was delayed about 20 minutes. On the plane, they tell us we will be delayed due to air traffic control about 1.5 hours. Oh well. LOL. Anyway, it actually ended up only being about 30 minutes delay and finally we take off. As we near BKK, we joke about how they will probably land the plane at the other BKK airport. LOL.

So my lesson learned. Unless I really want to see mainland China in my travel itinerary, I will not be booking through there again. This does not include HKG. My experience was consistent with many that I read online and talked to. I never got the chance to transit PVG but even while there talking to people I consistently got mixed stories on how transit works there from Intl to Intl flights. It appears to change by the day or even hour, if the transit desk is open or not, from what I heard talking to people there.

Yes, Chine Eastern from LAX To PVG. then Shanghai Airlines to BKK. Shanghai Air is a partner of China Eastern it seems.

Almost booked that same flight for my holiday to LOS next week...always like the redeye out of LAX when going to SE Asia. China Airlines price came down within $150 of the China Eastern fare so I booked them instead...mainly to change planes in Taipei instead of China. 

FYI, China Southern from LAX is a good option and the transit in CAN is pretty painless...bags are checked all the way through. I believe they have daily flights that leave 11pm from LAX and arrive around noon in BKK. The economy seating on the upper level of the A380 is pretty nice. Keep an eye on their fares also before you book with China Eastern.

Archived